They X-Rayed My Muffin!

I went to the local airport's website to check their guidelines (for our trip in 20 days! Yay!). There were some strongly worded statements regarding discussing with children how they should (and should not) behave. For example, it said that children should be instructed not to say the word "terrorism," among the other more obvious ones.

Now, I sat my kids down and tried to explain to them how serious this is. DD (7) was very concerned that she might want to ask me a question about airline security but did not want to get into trouble for it. DS (4) has Asperger-like tendencies (never been tested, though) and could very well bring up an inappropriate subject (in a loud voice), and refuse to drop it until his question was addressed.

Has anyone heard of cases involving children? I could clamp my hand over DS's mouth and drag him off, but wouldn't that look much worse than his innocent statements? I'm probably worrying more than I need to, but it's always better to consider the worst case scenario than to be unprepared for it.

Lori

Worst case scenerio with kids who make an "inappropriate statement" is that they will be taken aside by the police officer working the TSA detail and talked to. Keep in mind that the kids and their belongings can be searched either at the checkpoint or at the gate no matter what. So please talk to them in advance of this possibility.

We have talked about the possibility of a search, so that should be OK. I'm mostly concerned about the kids saying something without thinking. I do hope the personnel are understanding as you suggest. My kids would not be doing this as a joke - it would be more of a sincere question or comment (but still may not be appropriate for the circumstances). Thanks.

Lori

All of this is now why I drove to WDW in May and will always drive from now on. Wasn't a whole lot of "fun" flying in the past anyway. Now I see it's gotten ridiculous.

Uncleromulus,
I suppose it is if you consider safety and security ridiculous.

It still is safer, by far, than driving.

Umm, ridiculous? I think air travel just requires a little more preparation than in the past. I know that I will pack different and probably dress different the next time I fly. Other than that, I don't see how the security measures are presenting such a hardship on people. You may or may not be searched, you may or may not get your shoes tested, your bag may or may not be swabbed for explosives. If you are prepared for these possibilities than it shouldn't be a problem.

Rediculous in a sense when they go overboard. Heard on the radio today about the security (I don't remember what airport) that confiscated the gun from a GI Joe doll (not the 12"+ joes from the 1960s where the "gun" could be 5-6" long) the current Joe where the gun is 1 1/2" long.

I know that are supposed to confiscate anything that looks like a gun but this is going too far.

Originally posted by Miss Jasmine
It's called checked baggage. People should use it. :rolleyes:

Ummm.... it's also called "common sense," and even MORE people should use it. Including security personnel.

I would rather have the security be over cautious as opposed to not cautious enough. One thing I was taught from a very young age was that you never joke around in an airport or on an airplane. Very much like you don't joke around and say fire in a crowded theatre... Of course I grew up around airplanes, as my Dad was an airline pilot..

Coming back from a Disney Cruise in July, at security at Orlando Airport they made me run my plastic see through glass through xray.....:rolleyes: Of course that was after spending an inordinate time in line while a screener, who couldn't read English tried to find names on an e-ticket (this person handed the paper to another screener and said "I can't read this". The ONLY time my identification was checked was with the airlines (at the ticket counter and right before boarding). I find it hard to believe that most people feel safer with this......JMO

Change has to start somewhere. Its not perfect now, it may not be perfect any time soon. As far as MCO goes, its just about federalized as the federal screeners are going through their last bit of training.

If you are inconvenienced by these changes there is always Greyhound, Amtrak or driving. Personally to me, flying is still WAY more convenient than any of those, even when something quirky may come up.

I have said this on another thread and I will say it here, I am a badged airport employee and even when I have to enter the sterile area I am still subject to the same searches. My job requires me to be on the concourse now and then. Should I be upset because my badge clip sets off the magnometer and I have to be wanded? Because I am not. Its their job and until something changes (like profiling being more accepted) we are all viewed as a potential threat.

Security screning is a flipping joke anyhow.

I can think of a dozen or more items which are not banned that could cause lethal injury.

A lot of the screeners are downright idiots that don't even have enough brains to flip burgers at Mc D's.

A few months ago I had a container of rice that I wanted to eat while waiting at the gate. The rice was in a typical Chinese food to go container. I put it, and the chop sticks through the x-ray machine. After I ate the rice and was throwing out teh container, I CUT MYSELF on the wire handle. And that was without trying. Yet no one even blinked an eye at security.

Sure, they make you take a sip of your coffee or water...but they don't make you drink your shampoo, perfume, you name it that you have in your carryon.

It's all window dressing. 'Nuff said.

You want to be safe on a plane? Take responsibility for yourself. Notice the people around you when you get on board. Look for the emergency exits. Note the locations of people in the aisle seats that might be willing or able to help in case of a problem with another passenger. Think about the possible scenarios and how you could defend against them.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter