Thinking of cancelling my Iceland cruise

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
I'm having second thoughts on my Iceland cruise for next year. My main reasoning for booking it was to go to Iceland, but they are only there for two days. I do like how it goes to a few other countries, but not sure it will be worth it? It's also really expensive. We have a balcony room booked for 10k and then will be doing shore excursions at each port, which I'm sure will be expensive. I'm thinking of either downgrading the room to an inside cabin which is 6k or cancelling it all together and doing a land trip to Iceland instead.

Anyone who's done this cruise or done a land trip to Iceland or both have opinions on what I should do? Is it easy to plan a land trip there for a week? And if we do switch to land should we still go in August or do a different month instead?

Are you willing to rent a car and drive? If so, as far as I've heard a land trip is really easy! (Planning on doing it sometime!)
I've never driven out of the country, but I've heard it's easier to drive there the roads aren't too confusing and they are on the same side. So I'm sure my husband would be up for it lol. When I was researching for my honeymoon in the UK we had thought of getting a car and he was okay with it so I'm sure it would be find there.

It really depends on how much of the cruise experience you are looking for. If not then cancel it and book something else. You can fly to Iceland and travel the whole country for much less than $10k.

Another point of view : while two days is probably too short, do you believe there’s enough for you to do in Iceland to warrant an entire vacation ? I have multiple friends that spent their vacation there and had a wonderful time. For us however, after talking to them and researching things to do, we came to the conclusion it would not be worth it. We will probably only go there on a cruise - most stop 2 days - that also goes somewhere else.

It really depends on how much of the cruise experience you are looking for. If not then cancel it and book something else. You can fly to Iceland and travel the whole country for much less than $10k.
I do like the Magic and haven't been back on it since Rapunzel's has been added. I have heard that Iceland is expensive so I'm not sure how much we would save switching to just land there.

Another point of view : while two days is probably too short, do you believe there’s enough for you to do in Iceland to warrant an entire vacation ? I have multiple friends that spent their vacation there and had a wonderful time. For us however, after talking to them and researching things to do, we came to the conclusion it would not be worth it. We will probably only go there on a cruise - most stop 2 days - that also goes somewhere else.
I think I'd be able to find enough to do for a week. I've also thought of spending time wherever the layover for the flight is to break up the flying a bit since there isn't a direct flight to Iceland from where I live. There seems to be a lot to see around the country.

We just did a land-based Iceland trip last month for 10 days. We stayed in 5 different Airbnb’s all around the southern and southeastern side of the island. Having done that there is no way I would want to only visit from a cruise ship for two days. The most amazing scenery we saw was away from the cruise ports and the tourists. And boy are there a LOT of crowds near the main attractions. For example the Golden Circle was cool and had some beautiful sites but it was lost some because of the crowds. Our favorite hands down location was the Westman Islands. We took our rental car on the ferry over and stayed the night but we all wish we had stayed a day or two more there. It was breathtaking! Won’t see that on a cruise. Absolutely there is more than enough to do for a week. I would love to return someday and spend longer! I’d be happy to answer any questions.

I just priced out this cruise on Monday. An inside is $7,958 for 3 of us so your $6k is a steal! :-) I've also been hesitant because of the limited time in Iceland and I'm not particularly wow'ed by the other ports. To me the first night in Reykjavik is a waste because we'll have about 2 hours of daylight. Then the next day it would be difficult to do an independent tour (at least what we want) in the 8 or 9 hours we're in port. I did research Iceland as a land vacation. Renting a car was very expensive for 12-14 days - and honestly, I like cities more than nature so I think I might struggle with all that beauty. :D We're also going on a cruise in Nov so at least I could get the discount, which would bring it down to about $7,200. Still don't know what to do...

Keep your cruise - it's going to be awesome and you will have a great time everywhere you stop! Get a sample of Iceland, then just return for another trip in a couple of years. Use the cruise as an appetizer and just do both. Why choose?

We are on the Iceland Norway cruise right now. We have been to Iceland on our own for 6 days a few years ago. We did a small tour with only 3 other people. It was great. And I loved Iceland. We went in winter hoping for northern lights but cloud cover was too great. I would definitely recommend a golden circle tour if you come. Incredible scenery. And the food is outstanding.

We have also been to Norway on both a Disney cruise and a crystal cruise. We decided to do this cruise for our daughter and her friend who love Frozen and for a couple new ports, the Orkney islands in Scotland and the north side of Iceland. It’s been great.

We loved the day touring the Orkneys and we just left Reykjavík. Instead of doing the golden circle which we had done on our prior tour we rode Icelandic horses and did a cruise to see puffins.

We have a porthole on 2 which is absolutely fine. When you’re not directly in the sun it’s very chilly. So a balcony would be a waste. But I could not do an inside room.

And remember if you’re visiting this part of the world in the summer it never gets dark. Sunset is 10 30 pm. And it is pretty light after that too. So you can do a lot.

We booked a 9 day Caribbean cruise already for 2020. We have been to every port and probably won’t even get off except for Castaway Cay. We treat the ship like a floating resort. Expensive yes but we have an adult disabled daughter with Down syndrome and always bring her best friend. They still love the characters and the ships. As long as she loves it we will always sail Disney when we bring her. While costly it’s worth every penny to see her laugh and smile and we are blessed we can afford it.

For me part of that decision might also be based on time of year. If I was going to Iceland, I would want to go when exploring the ice caves and seeing the Northern Lights might be a possibility, so, at least October. November is when they have their music festival, Iceland Airwaves. But DCL never goes there that late in the year. I do also think the price DCL charges for that cruise is crazy inflated just because they only offer it once a year. (And this coming from someone who shelled out for their upcharge to Alaska). ETA: the music festival is in November not October

We just did a land-based Iceland trip last month for 10 days. We stayed in 5 different Airbnb’s all around the southern and southeastern side of the island. Having done that there is no way I would want to only visit from a cruise ship for two days. The most amazing scenery we saw was away from the cruise ports and the tourists. And boy are there a LOT of crowds near the main attractions. For example the Golden Circle was cool and had some beautiful sites but it was lost some because of the crowds. Our favorite hands down location was the Westman Islands. We took our rental car on the ferry over and stayed the night but we all wish we had stayed a day or two more there. It was breathtaking! Won’t see that on a cruise. Absolutely there is more than enough to do for a week. I would love to return someday and spend longer! I’d be happy to answer any questions.
Did you find it easy getting around everywhere? It would be the first time we've driven out of the country so that part has me a little hesitant. Avoiding crowds would be nice, what month did you go? Did you book any tours to see things or you did everything on your own?

I just priced out this cruise on Monday. An inside is $7,958 for 3 of us so your $6k is a steal! :-) I've also been hesitant because of the limited time in Iceland and I'm not particularly wow'ed by the other ports. To me the first night in Reykjavik is a waste because we'll have about 2 hours of daylight. Then the next day it would be difficult to do an independent tour (at least what we want) in the 8 or 9 hours we're in port. I did research Iceland as a land vacation. Renting a car was very expensive for 12-14 days - and honestly, I like cities more than nature so I think I might struggle with all that beauty. :D We're also going on a cruise in Nov so at least I could get the discount, which would bring it down to about $7,200. Still don't know what to do...
We have the cruise booked with the On Board Booking discount and its just two of us. I just don't know if I could handle an indoor cabin I really like having a balcony. That time of year I don't think the sun sets until really late so you could probably still do a lot the first night before it gets dark out. How much did you see for pricing for renting a car?

Keep your cruise - it's going to be awesome and you will have a great time everywhere you stop! Get a sample of Iceland, then just return for another trip in a couple of years. Use the cruise as an appetizer and just do both. Why choose?
We're trying for a baby right now so I don't think we'll go back for a while. I'm worried that I'll do the cruise and wish for more time in Iceland.

We are on the Iceland Norway cruise right now. We have been to Iceland on our own for 6 days a few years ago. We did a small tour with only 3 other people. It was great. And I loved Iceland. We went in winter hoping for northern lights but cloud cover was too great. I would definitely recommend a golden circle tour if you come. Incredible scenery. And the food is outstanding.

We have also been to Norway on both a Disney cruise and a crystal cruise. We decided to do this cruise for our daughter and her friend who love Frozen and for a couple new ports, the Orkney islands in Scotland and the north side of Iceland. It’s been great.

We loved the day touring the Orkneys and we just left Reykjavík. Instead of doing the golden circle which we had done on our prior tour we rode Icelandic horses and did a cruise to see puffins.

We have a porthole on 2 which is absolutely fine. When you’re not directly in the sun it’s very chilly. So a balcony would be a waste. But I could not do an inside room.

And remember if you’re visiting this part of the world in the summer it never gets dark. Sunset is 10 30 pm. And it is pretty light after that too. So you can do a lot.

We booked a 9 day Caribbean cruise already for 2020. We have been to every port and probably won’t even get off except for Castaway Cay. We treat the ship like a floating resort. Expensive yes but we have an adult disabled daughter with Down syndrome and always bring her best friend. They still love the characters and the ships. As long as she loves it we will always sail Disney when we bring her. While costly it’s worth every penny to see her laugh and smile and we are blessed we can afford it.
I love the Disney cruise ships I definitely prefer them over other lines I've been on. When I go to the Caribbean I barely get off the ship it's more for the cruise experience. In Europe I feel like I'll barely be on the ship so the crazy upcharge Disney does I'm not sure will be worth it or not. I've never been to any of the places the cruise goes to though so I would get to see a lot. The one nice thing if we did land is we can go whenever we want we don't have to go the week Disney is going in August. I'll have to look at the cost for a ocean view I jumped straight to the cheaper cabin when I thought about cutting some costs. Since you've done both land and cruise do you think it was better you did a longer land trip first and then the cruise or do you wish you did it the other way around?

Did you find it easy getting around everywhere? It would be the first time we've driven out of the country so that part has me a little hesitant. Avoiding crowds would be nice, what month did you go? Did you book any tours to see things or you did everything on your own?
It was sooo easy to get around. We rented a car for the entire trip and the rental car company gave us driving rules and tips like how to handle one lane bridges, etc. before we rolled out of the parking lot. And this was our first time driving outside the US also. We booked a rib boat tour on the Westman Islands, the Inside the Volcano tour, and the zodiac boat tour in Jokusarlon to see the glacier up close and personal. I would recommend all of them although the two boat tours were must do’s in our opinion. Outside of that we did Golden Circle, hiked, etc. on our own. We went the first through mid-June. It was daylight pretty much 24 hours a day. Although I would love to see the Northern Lights I don’t think I would like to only have 4-6 hours of daylight. It would really limit what you can see and do IMO.

We have the cruise booked with the On Board Booking discount and its just two of us. I just don't know if I could handle an indoor cabin I really like having a balcony. That time of year I don't think the sun sets until really late so you could probably still do a lot the first night before it gets dark out. How much did you see for pricing for renting a car?

Sunset is just after 9:00 p.m. - that was one of the first things I checked. I priced the car a couple of years ago - it was a 4 wheel drive SUV peak season and was over $1,500 - don't remember how much but I also didn't do any comparison pricing, which I would do if we decided to go. I have heard Iceland is expensive but did find some nice smaller hotels along the way and we can always cut costs for eating if that was an issue. I'll probably gamble and hold off until we're on a ship in November. I'm not a fan of the inside but a verandah is almost $12,000 for the 3 of us and to me it's definitely not worth that.

ETA - I just saw your comment about the upcharge for Disney in Europe and I agree 100%! I never thought I'd even consider a Disney cruise in Europe. Honestly this date is the only one that works perfectly for us (we need last 2 weeks of Aug) but I'm still hesitant. I KNOW that if it was something I would absolutely love I would have already booked.

Last edited:
I'm having second thoughts on my Iceland cruise for next year. My main reasoning for booking it was to go to Iceland, but they are only there for two days. I do like how it goes to a few other countries, but not sure it will be worth it? It's also really expensive. We have a balcony room booked for 10k and then will be doing shore excursions at each port, which I'm sure will be expensive. I'm thinking of either downgrading the room to an inside cabin which is 6k or cancelling it all together and doing a land trip to Iceland instead.

Anyone who's done this cruise or done a land trip to Iceland or both have opinions on what I should do? Is it easy to plan a land trip there for a week? And if we do switch to land should we still go in August or do a different month instead?

We're going to Iceland for the first time later this year, so I can't offer advice there. I agree that two days is too short to see an entire country though if that is your goal. Are the other reasons to be on this specific cruise enough to make up for that shortfall..?

It was sooo easy to get around. We rented a car for the entire trip and the rental car company gave us driving rules and tips like how to handle one lane bridges, etc. before we rolled out of the parking lot. And this was our first time driving outside the US also. We booked a rib boat tour on the Westman Islands, the Inside the Volcano tour, and the zodiac boat tour in Jokusarlon to see the glacier up close and personal. I would recommend all of them although the two boat tours were must do’s in our opinion. Outside of that we did Golden Circle, hiked, etc. on our own. We went the first through mid-June. It was daylight pretty much 24 hours a day. Although I would love to see the Northern Lights I don’t think I would like to only have 4-6 hours of daylight. It would really limit what you can see and do IMO.
Would you mind sharing what companies you used for the tour? When I planned our trip to Scotland I really liked using tour companies to get to places so I think I'd want to do something like that for of our trip. That's good to hear driving isn't too difficult. I would love to see Northern Lights and snow, but the earliest we can take this trip is March and I don't really want to delay it later than August.

Sunset is just after 9:00 p.m. - that was one of the first things I checked. I priced the car a couple of years ago - it was a 4 wheel drive SUV peak season and was over $1,500 - don't remember how much but I also didn't do any comparison pricing, which I would do if we decided to go. I have heard Iceland is expensive but did find some nice smaller hotels along the way and we can always cut costs for eating if that was an issue. I'll probably gamble and hold off until we're on a ship in November. I'm not a fan of the inside but a verandah is almost $12,000 for the 3 of us and to me it's definitely not worth that.

ETA - I just saw your comment about the upcharge for Disney in Europe and I agree 100%! I never thought I'd even consider a Disney cruise in Europe. Honestly this date is the only one that works perfectly for us (we need last 2 weeks of Aug) but I'm still hesitant. I KNOW that if it was something I would absolutely love I would have already booked.
I actually had the Norway only cruise booked and switched to this one when they added the extra day in Iceland. I think I just really started thinking about how expensive this trip was going to get with the high cost of the cruise and then all the excursions we will be booking. Plus I had a cruise booked for the British Isles that I cancelled and did land instead and had such a fantastic time for half the cost its making me rethink this trip. I've been tracking the cost of the cruise and only concierge and inside went up $100 so I think you should be okay to wait for your November cruise to get a discount.

We're going to Iceland for the first time later this year, so I can't offer advice there. I agree that two days is too short to see an entire country though if that is your goal. Are the other reasons to be on this specific cruise enough to make up for that shortfall..?
How did you plan your trip there? One of the parts making me hesitant is how much planning and research I'm going to need to do for a land trip. The cruise is easier. I would like to see Norway. I don't really like that the cruise leaves from Copenhagen and ends in Dover I prefer a cruise to start and end in the same spot. Also there are no direct flights to Copenhagen so it'll add more travel time to the trip.

I vote you do the cruise. Once you do have kids as I know you are planning to, such a trip will be impossible for a long time (can't cruise for second half of pregnancy, or with a little baby until 6 months old, plus once they are old enough the cost of the cruise will skyrocket because cruise charges are per person after the first two guests, plus as a practical matter that long of a flight with a little one would be awful, plus there is so much STUFF you have to have with babies that makes traveling with them a pain). I say the cost it is worth the "last hurrah" for the two of you before baby is on the way!

Plus, I have had a lot of friends who went to Iceland and said "it was fun to see, but after two days we ran out of things to do." So two days sounds about right.

I vote you do the cruise. Once you do have kids as I know you are planning to, such a trip will be impossible for a long time (can't cruise for second half of pregnancy, or with a little baby until 6 months old, plus once they are old enough the cost of the cruise will skyrocket because cruise charges are per person after the first two guests, plus as a practical matter that long of a flight with a little one would be awful, plus there is so much STUFF you have to have with babies that makes traveling with them a pain). I say the cost it is worth the "last hurrah" for the two of you before baby is on the way!

Plus, I have had a lot of friends who went to Iceland and said "it was fun to see, but after two days we ran out of things to do." So two days sounds about right.
Yes the baby planning is one of the reasons I am hesitant to cancel the cruise. You make a lot of good points!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter