This doesn't happen at Disney World!

phamton said:
:rotfl2: Yes, the next time I'm up in Yankee country, I'm going to yell at the waitress and tell her that we always get better service when I lived in Texas. I'm sure she will appreciate that. :lmao:

Don't mess with Texas.

you'd think with all of the 'input' we get from NY/NJ on how to run things, Florida would be perfect by now. ;)

Amity 3 said:
you'd think with all of the 'input' we get from NY/NJ on how to run things, Florida would be perfect by now. ;)
Makes you wonder why they keep coming since the service is so bad here. :rolleyes:

phamton said:
:rotfl2: Yes, the next time I'm up in Yankee country, I'm going to yell at the waitress and tell her that we always get better service when I lived in Texas. I'm sure she will appreciate that. :lmao:

Don't mess with Texas.

We're going back to Texas next week and the first stop off the plane is Whataburger! Service sucks but Whataburger!

I miss Whatburger! Like Florida, Texas gets a lot of snowbirds too. They call them "Winter Texans."

Hey! I was going to avoid this insipid and tiring thread which is yet (another) yawn comparing Disney to Universal, and I won't even bother commenting on the TR.

However, (ahem....CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE), please do not lump this Universal-lovin' New Jerseyean in with the OP! :)

Thank you, and now back to the regularly scheduled Disney v. Universal rerun.

phamton said:
I miss Whatburger! Like Florida, Texas gets a lot of snowbirds too. They call them "Winter Texans."
We have Whataburger here too. There is one on John Young Pkwy across from the Walmart.

In honor of the original poster, I thought that I'd add two more things that don't happen at Disney:

1. Front of the Line access for on-site hotel guests. :woohoo:
2. Receiving an annual pass discount on food and souveniers at the theme parks. :woohoo:

Please feel free to add other things! :banana:

I've said this many times before. When Disney people try Universal for the first time, and they don't stay on site, then they give it an average review, and that's exactly what we have here.

I'm guessing the OP stays onsite at Disney, probably at the value resorts (All Star Music, Movies, Sports). So you end up getting the bus rides to the parks, and the food courts and pools at the hotels. When you stay off site, the pool is "just a pool" and you don't have any food courts.

The only way to really experience Universal is to pay the extra money and stay onsite for at least 2 nights. It's best to do this at the end of your trip, because once you try FOTL, you'll be spoiled.

I don't think the food vouchers really ruined the trip. I think the offsite hotel did because it's "just a hotel" and there was no magic. The onsite resorts at Universal are compare to Deluxe hotels at Disney. So save up, pay the extra money, and enjoy the visit. Think of it as a splurge.

Robvia - I totally agree! In fact, when we took my DD to WDW for the first time back in 1997, we didn't stay onsite there. And I have to admit, we didn't know what we were missing. So the next year, we did decide to stay onsite and what a difference it made in the "Disney magic". Now when we go to WDW, we always stay onsite.

So to be fair, we did stay onsite at US for a week on our recent trip. And I don't think we would have had nearly the wonderful time we did if we had stayed somewhere else. The hotel was terrific, the proximity to everything was great, and the FOTL was priceless. I definitely felt like I was in my own little Universal world the whole week.

we were at WDW in May and seem to have a similiar expectation. We decided that it wasnt Universal Studios and missed HRH hotel and City Walk.

While be both do like the parks even though some of the rides are the same as I rode 29 friggin years ago (first trip was in 1977) - but I digress. - Its a small world after all its a small small world - I can hum it all day. Cant get enough of those rides from the 70's and 80's

I will never never stay at a WDW Resort again. Never. We stayed at AKL and had a miserable time. Was supposed to be a Savannah upgrade room but we were overlooking the swamp by the rear of the hotel and could not see the back of the savannah. Transportation at Disney is atrocious - we experienced 20-45 minute waits. At Universal I can walk anywhere (from HRH) in less that 10 minutes.

The biggest ripoff of WDW is the shopping and dining. All you can purchase is frigging mouse clothing and it is very very expensive. $20 tee shirts and $50 sweat shirts are common and to purchase dinner you need a TRW done. There are few non-disney restaurant (yes there are exceptions like Planet Hollywood) and zero non-disney shopping. The very large disney store at DTD makes my head spin. I much preferred the old Disney Village. The Christmas store is gone and DTD is potentially dangerous and very very crowded. Parking is difficult and you have a long walk.

Even if you have a car going off-site is a long drive and driving within WDW can take 20-30 minutes especially from AKL.

But back to the issue at hand. You get free meal vouchers and then forget them and blame Universal? You were supposed to present them to your waiter when you order. I have used vouchers at Universal many many times as I stay on-site exclusively and if I forget them it is my fault. Perhaps take responsibility for your mistakes next time. Just a thought.

Maybe you should stay with the phony magic of WDW or try on-site at Universal next time.

For my money you get more value for your dollar at Universal then at Disney.

The free meal plan- got it now.

Unlimited Food (but no drink) but its unlimited restaurants - one entree/dessert each time-kinda the gluttony plan but whatever floats your boat. Do you need larger clothes after this plan? Maybe a Weight Watchers membership?

You WERE supposed to wear the wrist band and have the tickets AND go to only a participating restaurant FOR ONLY a limited menu AND ONLY for an entree and dessert/one trip thru the line- no all you can eat. Drinks not included. another plan for that.

Compared to disney's food plan honestly this plan stinks big time.

ANOTHER EDIT

you say
What was most crazy is that a half hour before the park closed, the shops and food stands closed up! That would never happen at DW!
Funny but if you read the rules (look below) it clearly states that this plan stops 30 minutes before park closing time

--------------------------------------------------
UNIVERSAL MEAL DEAL
EAT ALL DAY LONG FOR ONE PRICE

At Universal Orlando, we have made it easy for you to eat throughout the theme parks all day long for one low price.

You can purchase a Universal Meal Deal* ticket online, theme park front gates and participating Meal Deal restaurant locations.

With your Universal Meal Deal ticket, enjoy as much food** as you would like all day long at participating Meal Deal locations only. (Food service ends 30 minutes before theme park closing).

Universal Studios Participating Restaurants:

Mel’s Drive-In
Sample Menu: Burgers, Chicken and Salads

Louie's Italian Restaurant
Sample Menu: Pizza, Pasta, and Salads

International Food and Film Festival
Sample Menu: Asian, Italian, and American Food

Islands of Adventure Participating Restaurants

Circus McGurkas Café Stoo-pendous™
Sample Menu: Fried Chicken, Spaghetti, Pizza, Chicken Caesar Salad, Burgers and Chicken Sandwiches

Comic Strip Cafe®
Sample Menu: Chinese, Italian, New England, Mexican and American Food

Captain America Diner®
Sample Menu: Cheeseburgers, Chicken Sandwiches, Chicken Fingers, and Crispy Chicken Salads

You can enjoy as much food as you would like at either Universal Studios Florida OR Islands of Adventure at participating Meal Deal locations only.

* This ticket must be exchanged for a Meal Deal wristband at any participating restaurant. The wristband must be worn in order to take part in Meal Deal Program. Only valid at particpating restaurants (listed above). Children ages 9 and under order from the Kid's Menu. Valid for one entrée platter and one dessert per trip through the food service line. Sharing of food is NOT permitted. Dining available until 30 minutes prior to park closing. Beverages and merchandise not included. Not valid for admission to either Universal Studios Florida or Islands of Adventure theme parks. Tickets are non-refundable.

** Meal includes (each time through the line): 1 entrée platter and 1 dessert.

For the OP, thank you for sharing your opinion, and it's a shame your recent vacation left much to be desired.

I don't think you had trouble because you're from NJ or because you didn't stay onsite or because you're used to phony Disney magic. I really think this boils down to luck, karma, your "number" statistically being up. This can happen -- and does -- on any vacation anywhere.

The generalities being thrown around here are a little disturbing. The first time my family ever went to USO, we did not stay on site, and we fell in love with the "other parks of Orlando" ... hard, fiercely, madly in love. We stayed on site our next few visits and had problems with the hotel -- cool hotel, close by, but minor problems nevertheless (being overcharged every time). We prefer to stay off site in a big timeshare.

I've had problems at WDW, too. The ADRs drive me nuts. While we had pricing/checkout problems at HRH, the problems we encountered at WDW hotels were, IMO, far more serious, and I still question myself as to why I didn't make a formal complaint with the State Health Department and Board of Professional Regulation. Our experience at WDW hotels involved urine-soaked sheets left from the previous guests in our room. What was even more sickening than that was the response we received from the hotel staff and management -- and this was not at a value hotel at WDW. The was Coronado Springs.

It truly is hit or miss with these places. My family just returned from a week at USO & WDW, and this trip in particular, we were blown away with the level of service given by the team members all week at USO/City/IOA. Every encounter we had, we felt the TMs went above and beyond to ensure we had a wonderful trip -- staying off site, too. Conversely, we felt the level of service from CMs this past trip was mediocre for the most part and actually poor in several instances. We're planning our next trip, and our feelings could be the opposite on that one. Who knows? I've begun to think vacations are like weddings; if something doesn't go wrong somewhere along the line, it's bad luck.

DTD is different the Citywalk. And that's great!!! We need variety, folks. I like the head spinning and near panic-attack feeling in that massive DTD store you need a cell phone to find your family in. I also like being able to smoke walking around City without getting nasty looks from families like I do at DTD. I like being able to see an Ozzy Osbourne look-alike walking around City giving the devil signal to passersby. I like the real drinks I can buy at City as opposed to the watered down ones at DTD. I like that I can get all my Christmas shopping done for my neices and nephews at DTD who love all things Disney.

I mean, Orlando now has four WDW parks, two USO parks and Seaworld. This equals six days of parks and a day of shopping. Once you're armed with knowledge on the glitches each of these parks seem to have -- and they all have them -- then you're good to go. "This" does happen at Disney World, just as "this" does happen at USO. "This" also happens in Vegas, Paris, NYC, Miami ... everywhere.

Thanks for sharing your report, unfortunately I think u really wanted Disney and u wanted it go belly up, on the same hand having staff that are uninformed happens everywhere incl in the land of the mouse, as u said guest services dealy with your complaint to your satisfaction, u wanted it right in first place as do we all but to imply it woyldn't happen at Disney "Get Real"

Very well said!! :thumbsup2

PlutoLuvr said:
I mean, Orlando now has four WDW parks, two USO parks and Seaworld. This equals six days of parks and a day of shopping. Once you're armed with knowledge on the glitches each of these parks seem to have -- and they all have them -- then you're good to go. "This" does happen at Disney World, just as "this" does happen at USO. "This" also happens in Vegas, Paris, NYC, Miami ... everywhere.

beck0321 said:
Yeah you're right. It's not the same, it's just not. Disney is like a total experience, whereas Universal is more like an amusement park. The rides are really fun, but you don't get the same FEELING you get in Disney. It's hard to explain. I can't imagine spending a week there, I would get bored.
We routinely spend over a week at US. Last vacation was 10 nights, this Thanksgiving will be 9 nights. Funny thing is we never get bored. Because of FOTL, we can do so much more around Orlando in our 9 days than we could if we devoted all 9 days to Disney.

Universal is so relaxing, which is how we like our vacations. The atmosphere is great. We can wander over to the parks whenever we want and never have to worry about lines. Or we can have a few drinks at the pool. Or we can do both :goodvibes

When we are ready to deal with lines and running around securing fast passes, we will drive over to Disney for the "magic".

We love both Disney and Universal, but we love the themeing and atmosphere of Universal better.

Isn't it wonderful that people are all different with different likes and dislikes? And that we can be passionate about different things. This would be one very boring world if we were all clones of each other :goodvibes

PlutoLuvr said:
While we had pricing/checkout problems at HRH, the problems we encountered at WDW hotels were, IMO, far more serious, and I still question myself as to why I didn't make a formal complaint with the State Health Department and Board of Professional Regulation. Our experience at WDW hotels involved urine-soaked sheets left from the previous guests in our room. What was even more sickening than that was the response we received from the hotel staff and management -- and this was not at a value hotel at WDW. The was Coronado Springs.

This has been our experience too. Last stay at WDW (and it will remain our last stay) was at the Poly Concierge, so up there with the more expensive rooms on Disney property. We found snot on our pillow case - green, dried up, half dollar size glob of snot, along with 3 blister packs of prescription medication from the previous occupant and jars of opened cold and flu medicine in the garbage. Left little doubt where the great green gobs of greasy, grimy (oops, fell into song there) mucous came from.

Room had obviously not been cleaned. It was beyond dirty. I should also have contacted the State Health Department. What was even worse, is that the maids had been there because the beds were made and there were fresh towels. Just dirty, filthy sheets and garbage.

And as horrible and disgusting as this experience was, I would never think to say that this would NEVER happen at Universal. Although arriving after a great week at the Portofino did make it seem even worse :goodvibes

Stuff happens. Those magical resorts are nothing more than huge corporations run by very human people (both Disney and Universal). Not to ruin anybody's fantasies, but they are not run by magical mice, ducks, wizards or unicorns with powers of pixie dust. They are people. And last I knew - people are not infallible.

OP - are you saying that you have NEVER experienced a single glitch at Disney? Ever? Nor has Disney EVER made a mistake? Since you said it would never happen at Disney, I am guessing you firmly believe that Disney has never made an error.

You let a single incident ruin a vacation. This seems to indicate you were looking for things to dislike at Universal. If you go in thinking that way, it is a self-fulfilling prophesy. You will find things to gripe about.

Have a magical day!

i usually do not come to this forum but thought i would post my trip report at universal and staying on site.

i happened to open up this thread and read it through.

i just don't get it.

oblivously a person that adores disney tries an off site hotel in the area of universal and then starts the day trip in the universal parks, but has a mind set of , why are we here, it is not disney......

when i go to orlando, i wouldn't think of not doing both parks.
they are different as day and night. i have been doing this since 1993.

i would not dream of posting on a disney forum and bash disney in everyway possible. what's the point in doing that?

the trip poster did not like the parks at universal.
bottom line.
fine, not every one likes all the parks.

no sense in bashing a park that has only three forums in the universal section.

i just don't think it is very nice at all to rag on about incidents that could have happened at any park, be it six flags, universal, disney, busch gardens, cedar point, etc. there are problems and issues at any of the parks.

when you have a problem, handle it with guest services at that park. then let us know how your issues were resolved.

most of us here want to hear about the universal trip reports since we read the threads in the universal forums.

you didn't have to start out and let us know you were avid disney fans.
it screamed it from the start of your report.

if you ever desire to try universal again, i would suggest to stay on site.
it is a lot different than staying off site and having to drive to the garage, park and do that long walk from the garage.

it is possible you would get a different outlook of the total universal experience then.

i could complain about hotel and park issues i have had at disney but won't.

when i am on the universal forums, i want to hear about universal issues.
and, i want to hear about the trips.......

My two cents: Disney and Universal are both fantastic and magical! I'm grateful we all have both to experience.

I've found over the years that vacations/relationships/life are what you make of them...expectations play a large role, but having a plan while also being able to make adjustments and deal with frustrations leads to a better state of mind.

phamton said:

Phantom-Take Sandlake to John Young then take a right...You'll find a BRAND SPANKING NEW 24 HOUR WHATABURGER on the right.

You can hug me when I see you at work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter