This is Us- Season four

I don't think Jack and Rebecca are cutesy at all.

Their relationship, how full and honest it has been, still hits me every time.

------------------

I remember how Milo said in interviews, leading up to the series starting, that he had openly talked to Mandy Moore about making a pact that they would concentrate - or he would - on seeing each other as the best thing in the world -the greatest love -in every scene. I would think he meant seeing the intimacy between them in every type of scene.

I know it's acting. But it has worked! Exceptionally well.

And I hardly ever see an ounce of Jack in Milo.The casting director should get a special Emmy for all the choices in the show. There has not been one error.

Last edited:
And Kevin and Sophie have dealt with him cheating on her and then his alcoholism. I guess I don't see too many huge differences, but good to hear another perspective!
I think the biggest difference is that Kevin and Sophie met as children, Jack and Rebecca met as adults. Kevin and Sophie’s identities are kind of entwined with each other. Jack and Rebecca were functioning adults when they met.

The ring bothered me, so I hardly paid attention to it after the first discussion.

It didn't seem precious at all to me. It felt controlling.

Vietnam, her parents, alcoholism, death of a newborn. They went through some rough stuff.

ETA: He also didn't want her to sing.
And Kevin and Sophie have dealt with him cheating on her and then his alcoholism. I guess I don't see too many huge differences, but good to hear another perspective!

Such an interesting conversation.

I would add that Sophie and Rebecca's strength, refusing to ignore issues, forced healing for both Jack and Kevin.

Despite different outcomes - well Jack passed early and Kevin's future is still untold - there was no shortage of love.

I don't know what to think of Sophie and Kevin. The post about Good Will Hunting's ending being finally seen was a thinker! Still have no clue.

I go back and forth between me thinking, Love doesn't always mean it is the right person for you and rooting for them.

Damn writers!

Maybe them watching the end of the movie kind of closes their chapter. They did the one thing they said they wouldn’t do, so what’s left?

------------------

I remember how Milo said in interviews, leading up to the series starting, that he had openly talked to Mandy Moore about making a pact that they would concentrate - or he would - on seeing each other as the best thing in the world -the greatest love -in every scene. I would thunk he met seeing the intimacy between them in every type of scene.

I know it's acting. But it has worked! Exceptionally well.

And I hardly ever see an ounce of Jack in Milo.The casting director should get a special Emmy for all the choices in the show. There has not been one error.

He never told her about Nicky. He didn't tell her about what her father said to him. I'm just saying while the big 3 may think they had a perfect relationship, we know they didn't. You can love someone more than anything in the world and know that they are your soulmate. That doesn't mean there aren't cracks underneath. That's what the writers have been showing us with every relationship on this show.

Maybe them watching the end of the movie kind of closes their chapter. They did the one thing they said they wouldn’t do, so what’s left?

Yep a definite possibility, that is what I meant about the post about it being a thinker.

SCMInnie said that exact thought upthread kimblebee.

Last edited:
He never told her about Nicky. He didn't tell her about what her father said to him. I'm just saying while the big 3 may think they had a perfect relationship, we know they didn't. You can love someone more than anything in the world and know that they are your soulmate. That doesn't mean there aren't cracks underneath. That's what the writers have been showing us with every relationship on this show.

Absolutely. Two thumbs up.

I bawled with the Nicky situation, for Rebecca. It was not a small issue for me. I can hold why Jack made that decision but also held the agony, and I don't think that is too big of a word, of loving someone all those years and finding out you really didn't know a big piece of them.

I have had a similar situation after someone's death, and emotionally it is devastating. And that has nothing to with a lack of understanding and compassion for why the decision was made. Both things can be true.

Last edited:

And brilliantly.:thumbsup2

He never told her about Nicky. He didn't tell her about what her father said to him.

Just adding that when I said full and honest a la this -

I was referring to it being played out like a true/real relationship - not all sunshine and lollipops. And void of quick and easy answers that are regularly shown on tv.

Last edited:

And Rebecca didn't tell Jack that she knew about William.

Her grandmother’s ring. There is significance to Sophie’s story that her run in episode ended alone. Looking at the ring. Not on her finger. It may not matter to Kevin’s story, though.

Something I noticed - when the police brought Rebecca back to the cabin.. Kate signed the form they brought in.. "Kate Pearson". So apparently that marriage doesn't succeed.

I can't shake that Kevin might just be a single dad, at least at the time/scene of Rebecca's decline.

Last edited:
And Rebecca didn't tell Jack that she knew about William.

Totally off topic but your post made me think of this --------

I am hoping that we get some kind of back story between Rebecca and Beth. I noticed that Beth and Rebecca were quite jovial with each other around the time of her first pregnancy. Yet by the time we got to William it felt like something had changed between them. And they played it like Beth had an issue even before Rebecca's lies about William were revealed. It was subtle, but there. Remain curious.

Totally off topic but your post made me think of this --------

I am hoping that we get some kind of back story between Rebecca and Beth. I noticed that Beth and Rebecca were quite jovial with each other around the time of her first pregnancy. Yet by the time we got to William it felt like something had changed between them. And they played it like Beth had an issue even before Rebecca's lies about William were revealed. It was subtle but there. Remain curious.
I would be willing to bet there’s a few things in play here:
1) There is a term “surrogate spouse,” and after Jack died, Randall did become a surrogate spouse for his mom. He was the one she could depend on more than his siblings. And in tough times, they definitely rely very heavily on each other. It could be that Beth resents that in some cases Randall will confide things in his mom before her.
2) I am sure that Rebecca overstepped with Tess and Annie at some point. They were her first grandchildren and Randall is her favorite child. She moved cross-country to be near Kate after Jack was born. I have no doubt she went to extremes when the girls were born.
3) Rebecca and Beth have OPPOSITE personalities. Beth is very direct and Rebecca is much more passive-aggressive. Beth works through confrontation head on, where Rebecca kind of shrinks back and has a victim mentality.

Something I noticed - when the police brought Rebecca back to the cabin.. Kate signed the form they brought in.. "Kate Pearson". So apparently that marriage doesn't succeed.
She's always been Kate Pearson. I don't think she took Toby's name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter