This is Us- Season six

I think Beth and Randall are between a rock and a hard place. They can't really stop Deja from going to Boston--she's got s ton of street smarts, she's used to working (and evading) the system. What I think they need to do is spend some time thinking of every possible scenario, and see if Deja and Malik have considered all the angles (what if you don't get into the Harvard HS program? What if you two break up? How will you juggle school schedules and a toddler? Etc.)

Then, if it seems like they've thought it all through, I would let her go...with the understanding that, our door is always open, no questions asked. To be fair, if this were my child, I'd be dying inside. But, if they don't let her go, they could lose her forever, and it's better if she knows that they have her back, always, and will always be there to support her.

I agree, Randall telling Malik to end things was probably not the way to go. What he could have suggested, as a prior poster said, was to do a long distance relationship. If their love is for real, it should be able to withstand a year and a 1/2 of long distance. If they say that's too long, Randall could always come back with, well then maybe your love isn't as strong as you think it is.

Honestly, a year and a 1/2 is really nothing, not sure why Deja wouldn't want to graduate high school with her peers. Her character seems too smart to throw away everything for love. Not that she is necessarily throwing everything away, but she is depriving herself of her high school years, prom, graduation, etc, things she would fondly look back on.

I agree, Randall telling Malik to end things was probably not the way to go. What he could have suggested, as a prior poster said, was to do a long distance relationship. If their love is for real, it should be able to withstand a year and a 1/2 of long distance. If they say that's too long, Randall could always come back with, well then maybe your love isn't as strong as you think it is.

Honestly, a year and a 1/2 is really nothing, not sure why Deja wouldn't want to graduate high school with her peers. Her character seems too smart to throw away everything for love. Not that she is necessarily throwing everything away, but she is depriving herself of her high school years, prom, graduation, etc, things she would fondly look back on.

I didn't quite understand the whole "I'm taking triple AP classes, I'm going to graduate early..." and then she'd have to go get her GED. That didn't sound like a good move.

Deja is 17 now. She turns 18 in less than a year. I bet she and Malik get married. It would make her independent and eligible to take the GED and/or get financial aid. We know she is a medical resident in the future so she does all right.

I didn't quite understand the whole "I'm taking triple AP classes, I'm going to graduate early..." and then she'd have to go get her GED. That didn't sound like a good move.
I’m wondering if it’s a state thing. Yes the APs are nation wide but PA has different graduation requirements then MA

Well we know he ends up with someone.

But do we?

I have said this before -

I know keeping the house stocked is not always a female trait - so forgive me, but most are pretty damn good at it.

So at the moment of the fastforward, I can only speak of that specific time frame, Kevin's son tells Randall Kevin is not there as he has left to go get food. Randall makes a crack about no food in the house, so Kevin. Going to grab food - normal. Not a lot of food in the house, might even be normal due to the stress at hand.
But it was clearly said as normal Kevin behaviour, I am assuming at his house. And a woman living there with children with needs, smiling. Just a hmmm.

Might be nothing, might be something.

Am I the only one that honestly has no clue who he ends up with? I feel like until we see it I won’t know who it is.

No, not alone. :wave2:

----------

I lost the post about Deja. Yes brilliant actress. Just brilliant.

She and Beth are everything to me in this show.

Remember when I said she would be back in the Pearson house somehow, despite going with her mother. And some of you thought, What?!?!?! No.

I can be wrong but that was one moment I was so happy I was not. :laughing::thumbsup2

I will miss Beth and Deja like they are real people.

Last edited:
I agree. If she’s graduating early and meeting the graduation requirements, she doesn’t need a GED. If she’s dropping out and taking the GED, that’s not going to be looked at the same as actually graduating with full credits.

Taking AP classes doesn’t necessarily help you graduate early. I don’t know the PA graduation requirements, but, for example, in NY, you need 4 years of English to graduate. This means you’d need to double up on English to graduate early. It doesn’t matter if it’s AP classes or not. Graduating a full year early generally takes a lot of planning and/or summer school.

I’m wondering if it’s a state thing. Yes the APs are nation wide but PA has different graduation requirements then MA
I agree. If she’s graduating early and meeting the graduation requirements, she doesn’t need a GED. If she’s dropping out and taking the GED, that’s not going to be looked at the same as actually graduating with full credits.

Taking AP classes doesn’t necessarily help you graduate early. I don’t know the PA graduation requirements, but, for example, in NY, you need 4 years of English to graduate. This means you’d need to double up on English to graduate early. It doesn’t matter if it’s AP classes or not. Graduating a full year early generally takes a lot of planning and/or summer school.

Can I just say that I LOVE that we are discussing this as if Deja is a real high school student who needs to understand her credit requirements? 😂😍

The mistakes in that discussion on the show could just be writers who didn’t actually research and just started throwing out things like, “doubling up on AP classes” to remind the viewer that she’s smart and throwing in GED since it’s a path to a diploma. But I was also thinking, if she graduates early she won’t need that GED.

Maybe I see her going because DH and I married 3 months after turning 18. Yes, that was years ago but 🤷🏻‍♀️

In our case, I had a home situation that I wanted out of and DH had a nightmare home that he left as soon as he turned 18. He also left school without graduating so that he could work full time. He got his GED the fall of what should have been his senior year and started college in January.

Our decision to go ahead and marry had a few points.
1. We could be together and pool resources.

2. If he was married, his parents would no longer be considered in the financial aid filings. They weren’t going to help so that was important.

3. In the 80’s, married students were common enough that the University had married student apartments on campus. It was much more affordable than where he was living and on the beautiful and safe campus. He was living in all an 18 year old could afford- A slum apartment in a bad part of town. On campus also eased our transportation costs and struggles.

As far as a GED, once DH graduated college (on time) no one cared about how he got high school covered.

Last edited:
But do we?

I have said this before -

I know keeping the house stocked is not always a female trait - so forgive me, but most are pretty damn good at it.

So at the moment of the fastforward, I can only speak of that specific time frame, Kevin's son tells Randall Kevin is not there as he has left to go get food. Randall makes a crack about no food in the house, so Kevin. Going to grab food - normal. Not a lot of food in the house, might even be normal due to the stress at hand.
But it was clearly said as normal Kevin behaviour, I am assuming at his house. And a woman living there with children with needs, smiling. Just a hmmm.

Might be nothing, might be something.

No, not alone. :wave2:

----------

I lost the post about Deja. Yes brilliant actress. Just brilliant.

She and Beth are everything to me in this show.

Remember when I said she would be back in the Pearson house somehow, despite going with her mother. And some of you thought, What?!?!?! No.

I can be wrong but that was one moment I was so happy I was not. :laughing::thumbsup2

I will miss Beth and Deja like they are real people.
Kevin does have a wedding ring on him though which is where the speculation comes from.

mans im so happy I’m not alone in the fact I have no freaking clue😂

I think they're hinting that Kevin ends up with Sophie since Kate reconnected with her...loved the scenes with Beth again tonight. Think it's odd the whole Deja/Malik thing is just hanging...

Our local news was talking about this show and they said there are only 6 episodes left, which included tonight’s show I didn‘t realize it was wrapping up that quickly. I’m really going to miss it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter