This storm in the Gulf… now Hurricane Idalia

I'm right there with you. I wear flips-flops, Crocs and sandals year-round but will typically do sneakers if going into the parks.
Oh, don’t get me wrong. My preference is sneakers (no socks), except when it’s raining a lot! Then I go for non-slippy flip flops (Teva Voyas are my current jam). Last year around this time I tried to do sneakers - rotated two pairs, but they never really got dry. No blisters, but it was annoying. (Complete tangent.)

I'm watching and also worried about flights. We would normally never travel to Florida in hurricane season, but we were able to get a cancellation on the Galactic Starcruiser before it closes...

We fly in Wednesday and check into GSC on Thursday. Coming from the west so wondering how likely flight cancellations might be. Already checking into possibly flying earlier. So nerve wracking!

I'm watching and also worried about flights. We would normally never travel to Florida in hurricane season, but we were able to get a cancellation on the Galactic Starcruiser before it closes...

We fly in Wednesday and check into GSC on Thursday. Coming from the west so wondering how likely flight cancellations might be. Already checking into possibly flying earlier. So nerve wracking!
Oh, no!! Good luck!!!! Starcruiser - you have to make that!!! I’m coming from San Diego, so same with flight concerns. I have lots of miles so made an extra res yesterday and added a night Monday night - feeling relieved I did. I was halfheartedly looking for redeyes Sunday, although that seems like overkill, and good itineraries that aren’t $$$ are thin on the ground.

Is it possible for you to fly in Monday? It seems like Tues/Wed is going to be sketchy.

Is it possible for you to fly in Monday? It seems like Tues/Wed is going to be sketchy.
It will cost us a good amount to do so, but does look possible. We were going to do a few days at the park after the "cruise" so we could switch those to before. Plenty of resort reservations open.

But I'm also wondering if it is foolish to do so if a possible hurricane is coming, like safety-wise? I'm from Arizona so I don't know a lot about what to expect with these storms. Also, there might be a risk that we could travel in early and then they'd possibly close the Galactic Starcruiser. I know they did for two voyages during Ian and I think for one of the storms in November last year.

It will cost us a good amount to do so, but does look possible. We were going to do a few days at the park after the "cruise" so we could switch those to before. Plenty of resort reservations open.

But I'm also wondering if it is foolish to do so if a possible hurricane is coming, like safety-wise? I'm from Arizona so I don't know a lot about what to expect with these storms. Also, there might be a risk that we could travel in early and then they'd possibly close the Galactic Starcruiser. I know they did for two voyages during Ian and I think for one of the storms in November last year.
It is still very up in the air but it doesn't look like it will have a huge effect on the parks. Possibly early closure Tues/late opening Wed but maybe not even that. I definitely don't see them closing a starcruiser cruise that starts Thursday. It looks like everything should be back to normal Thursday.

It's so hard to make a decision on stuff like this. I hope it works out for you!

Last edited:

Omg, they closed the Starcruiser? I didn’t realize that. I think they only CLOSE close things if it is a strong storm and it’s forecast to be close. The safety thing shouldn’t be an issue. Disney was built with hurricanes in mind. People from the coasts will go there to weather out storms.

Supposed to fly in Wed morning looks like that’s when the storm is going to make landfall. Should I risk it. For another few bucks I could fly on Tuesday morning? What we think Florida folks?

Omg, they closed the Starcruiser? I didn’t realize that. I think they only CLOSE close things if it is a strong storm and it’s forecast to be close. The safety thing shouldn’t be an issue. Disney was built with hurricanes in mind. People from the coasts will go there to weather out storms.
I think they closed it last year due to the difficulty probably getting the cast back and forth in tropical storm conditions and because the portion where they have an "excursion" to Batuu would be impacted. The statement last year said they cancelled because of the impact on the guest experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter