Those darn bubble wands

Wow. So you teach your kids all that matters is what makes them happy, regardless of the impact on anyone else. Nice. Explains a lot.

In all honesty, the bubbles are nothing that ruins my day. I realize its not really the kid's fault, its their selfish parents who have no idea how to actually be a parent.

But if an adult starts blowing bubbles in my face or on my food, well, that's an entirely different matter and the response will be quite different.

I think you need to grow up a bit bud. I don't think any parent is deliberately going "Hey kids, take the bubble wands and pi$$ off every entitled Disney adult." If that is what you are taking away from this I feel bad for how regimented your life must be. Take a chill pill and grow up.

Hmmmm…teach your children…prevent them from having a Meltdown in the first place. Wait! You give them the toy to avoid a meltdown. I see. They have you trained.
I’ve watched more than a few grown adults have a meltdown over a too long (or too hot, too slow, too bubbly, take your pick) line in Disney. Kids should just stand quietly in line without screens, snacks, toys that make noise or god forbid bubbles 🙃 right?

Hmmmm…teach your children…prevent them from having a Meltdown in the first place. Wait! You give them the toy to avoid a meltdown. I see. They have you trained.

You would be doing the world a service if you could share the parenting tip that prevents meltdowns in small children. This might be the greatest tip I've ever heard on Disboards, lay it on me.

I’ve watched more than a few grown adults have a meltdown over a too long (or too hot, too slow, too bubbly, take your pick) line in Disney. Kids should just stand quietly in line without screens, snacks, toys that make noise or god forbid bubbles 🙃 right?
Do they give bubble wands to adults to prevent meltdowns? I definitely agree everyone can get out of whack at theme parks but adults are the ones ultimately responsible for their actions and with kids responsible for theirs.

One of the things my mom and dad used to do with my sis and I waiting for restaurants especially is Brain Quest deck of cards though I realize that's old tech these days.

A lot of people have discussed tips and tricks over the years to keep kids entertained from playing eye spy, trivia (heads up app has been big lately a lot with adults just keep aware of the line moving), using the interactive queues (keeping aware of the line moving) to IDK just having conversations (weird I know).

If your child though is on the verge of a meltdown and you know it you would not want to enter a queue, a lot harder to get a kid back out of the line, onto a ride,etc. Take a mini break everyone, needs that.

Do they give bubble wands to adults to prevent meltdowns? I definitely agree everyone can get out of whack at theme parks but adults are the ones ultimately responsible for their actions and with kids responsible for theirs.

One of the things my mom and dad used to do with my sis and I waiting for restaurants especially is Brain Quest deck of cards though I realize that's old tech these days.

A lot of people have discussed tips and tricks over the years to keep kids entertained from playing eye spy, trivia (heads up app has been big lately a lot with adults just keep aware of the line moving), using the interactive queues (keeping aware of the line moving) to IDK just having conversations (weird I know).

If your child though is on the verge of a meltdown and you know it you would not want to enter a queue, a lot harder to get a kid back out of the line, onto a ride,etc. Take a mini break everyone, needs that.
After three kids and many trips I have a whole bag of tricks. Some are low tech, some are high tech, some amuse the 8 year old and some work for the 18 month old… and sometimes you can hand them a bubble wand and all three go from crabby to laughing.

Perhaps, if someone has found that bubbles in the happiest place on earth bothers them it might be time to consider a vacation destination that caters to adults and prevents such childish pursuits as bubbles.

After three kids and many trips I have a whole bag of tricks. Some are low tech, some are high tech, some amuse the 8 year old and some work for the 18 month old… and sometimes you can hand them a bubble wand and all three go from crabby to laughing.

Perhaps, if someone has found that bubbles in the happiest place on earth bothers them it might be time to consider a vacation destination that caters to adults and prevents such childish pursuits as bubbles.
Nah...that's just deflection. If you feel the one answer is to bug everyone else yowza.

I think you're missing the forest for the trees. Your child, if they need can't get away from the bubble wand, can totally play with it. But you as the parent have to look around to where you are at. At WDW with 4 parks and tons places you can go to you have many options of where you have play time. When you're at home you don't have a bubble wand to soothe them either. This is also why there's threads that pop up over time asking for places to chill for a bit, get out of the heat, secret spots, etc. What people ask for is consideration for others, sometimes that's something that gets forgotten in the midst of that vacation.

And as a little playful nudge here. I thought we were talking about WDW which is the most magical place on earth. Disneyland is the happiest although I can't remember about bubbles from my 2019 trip..I digress I know :) Also I think Disney is doing a lot of catering to adults these days given the food and wine and all the rides, Universal is more aged up and like I mentioned in another comment it's water misters there. We're really talking about behaviors here not locale.

We love the bubbles. My kids love to run up and catch them. We expect to see them at Disney and look forward to it.

Maybe we’ve just been lucky, because I’ve never seen them used on rides, buses, or anything inside. I don’t shy away from politely making requests to others and would in a case like this. Most people are just tired and distracted.

Our DDs loved the bubble wands also, but as a parent I made sure they did not use them in a queue and especially in a food place (OMG that is just plain common sense, not to let them use them in a food place :sad2: ). But if we are outside walking or in the open then I had no problem with it. I am older now (62) and I had a child right next to me on our last trip last month, during the fireworks that constantly had their wand blowing bubbles and guess what, I am still alive. LOL BTW, I also wear glasses and no it is not hard to clean off.

You would be doing the world a service if you could share the parenting tip that prevents meltdowns in small children. This might be the greatest tip I've ever heard on Disboards, lay it on me.
Fortunately for me you are one of the few that haven’t figured it out. I have met many delightful and well behaved children and adults having a wonderful time at Disney parks and around the world. Giving into a child doesn’t prevent a meltdown. It sets the stage for a larger one next time. I have zero issues with a child in line having a meltdown. The parent that knows whether to remove them from the line, talk them down, etc. wins many gold stars versus the one that shoves a toy, food or a phone in their hand to give them what they want.

No, they should talk with the couple that gave them life and learn how to laugh and have fun together without constantly being pacified. Covering people with bubbles is pure rudeness from the parents as the kids learn behaviors from them.

Fortunately for me you are one of the few that haven’t figured it out. I have met many delightful and well behaved children and adults having a wonderful time at Disney parks and around the world. Giving into a child doesn’t prevent a meltdown. It sets the stage for a larger one next time. I have zero issues with a child in line having a meltdown. The parent that knows whether to remove them from the line, talk them down, etc. wins many gold stars versus the one that shoves a toy, food or a phone in their hand to give them what they want.
You said “prevent them from having a meltdown in the first place”. I know what to do when my kid has one. I was looking for some world changing advice and all I got was low effort sass.

You said “prevent them from having a meltdown in the first place”. I know what to do when my kid has one. I was looking for some world changing advice and all I got was low effort sass.
Which is apparently give into them and let them walk all over you. Good for you. Those of us that spend the time to not give into our kids only have enough time on our hands to give low effort sass. There are much more important things to do.

I think you need to grow up a bit bud. I don't think any parent is deliberately going "Hey kids, take the bubble wands and pi$$ off every entitled Disney adult." If that is what you are taking away from this I feel bad for how regimented your life must be. Take a chill pill and grow up.
Are you for real? Not wanting a stranger's kid to blow soap bubbles in your face or on your food makes you entitled?

You probably should stop using words you clearly do not understand. And you certainly have no basis for telling anyone how an adult acts.

You would have hated us. We brought small bubble containers (from the Dollar Store) with us every NYE trip when my DD was little. We gave them away to parents of little kids to enjoy.
Not necessarily. The act of blowing bubbles is not a problem at all. The act of blowing them all over strangers is the issue.

Also, the little containers with the wand is a lot different than the motorized versions the OP is referring to.

Which is apparently give into them and let them walk all over you. Good for you. Those of us that spend the time to not give into our kids only have enough time on our hands to give low effort sass. There are much more important things to do.

Wrong person, I never let my kids walk all over me a day in my life. I knew I shouldn’t have this conversation with you after sundown. You told everyone you knew how to prevent tantrums, I’m just asking you to share your many, many many years of experience and you want to insult me.

In general I agree, they are great. My kids loved them when they were small. But there is nothing wrong with teaching the children its not appropriate to blow them on strangers. No more so than they should be shooting water pistols at random people. In a classroom situation when all are participating that is not an issue. But when out in public, its just basic courtesy.
yah ok I didn't say it was alright in general public. I agree. My kids didn't do it around people in the parks. I used to let them go wild while walking back to the room after getting off the bus I remember alot of times.

I had the unfortunate experience having a large family sit down next to us at an outdoor restaurant. I think the parents figured "were outside have fun" The kids all had the bubble gun things that shoot hundreds of tiny bubbles. Of course the wind was blowing towards us and our food. I rarely want to ask strangers to stop doing something, but bubbles in my food... nope. I did turn and asked them to please go elsewhere since we're eating!! I shouldn't have to ask that at all since we were in a restaurant! And Disney is for everyone, not just kids. I have no idea where the idea that WDW is only for kids came to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter