those who have had verandahs -

imgoingtodisney

Goal! going on this cruise 37lbs less and I will e
How much time have you actually used it?
For eating - when? how often? meal?
Reading
Verandah club
That beautiful ocean night sky (while in pj's) - cant wait to see that again
other ideas?

Do you feel like you are missing out on happenings on top of the ship?

We use our verandah quite a bit. I'm almost always up early, while my wife likes to sleep in, so I grab a cup of coffee and sit out there reading in the morning for a hour or two. We eat at least one room service lunch per cruise out there on a sea day. We also have a drink out there before going to bed. I like being out there while the ship is docking. It seems like I'm out there more than actually inside the room. It's especially peaceful in the early morning and late at night.

I wouldn't worry about missing out on something happening elsewhere on the ship. There's always something else going on. You'll never get to do and see everything. I feel like I need to slow down and relax as much as doing or seeing anything else sometimes.

I was out there almost every morning---early---I'm a light sleeper. I was always out there before I went to sleep at night.

Every time I went to the room for something, I would go out there and look around, or just sit for a while.

I watched the ship dock at every port, but back at Canaveral.

DH and I had wine out there later in the afternoon.

It was really wonderful and I never felt like it took away from anything else, only enhanced the whole experience.

This was the 4 day, so that was pretty much it. I expect to use it a lot more on our 7 day.

On our first cruise we upgraded 6 weeks prior to sailing to a verandah. We weren't sure if it was going to be worth it. The first night at sea DW got a little woozie when we sat down at dinner when she saw the water in her glass moving!!!! The servers were halarious but yet concerned. DW said "I can see the ship is rocking, look at my water" then they replied "I don't see anything" then looked at DD's then 10 and 8 and wiked at them and said "do you girls? She went to the bathroom took her dramamine and was o.k. We went back to the room opened the door to the verandah and she was fine.......she swears if it wasn't for the open doors and carribean air she would have been sick.......I, an early riser LOVED getting a bloody mary and a cup of coffee and watch the ship dock from my verandah. It is a great plce to sit on a crowded ship when you just want to sit back be by yourself and watch the sun set. A little extra room while DD's are getting ready for dinners and shows isn't that bad either.............BRAWBACK?????? If the people in the room next to you smoke and you don't!!!!!! The smoke does tend to drift onto your verandah.

We got a free upgrade on our 4 day cruise. (Jan) What a surprise! The first day and a half, it was pretty chilly, so we just peeked out occasionally, I usually took a cup of coffee out there in the morning while everyone was still asleep. Then we were quarantined with the Norwalk virus, so that verandah became our window to the world! Glad we had it!

That being said, if the weather was nicer, I definitely would have done the coffee thing more, and probably a drink before dinner. We are one of those families that doesn't spend much time in our rooms, so I don't think I'll ever pay for a verandah, but I certainly wouldn't turn it down either!

I loved having the verandah to watch the port arrivals and departures. It was also cool just watching the ocean go by. Nights on the verandah were also peaceful. The only thing that I didn't like about the verandah was (2nd day) when I slammed my thumb between the handle and the frame...OUCH!!! (it is still bruised and sore- 10 days later). Let that be a word of warning, don't grasp the entire handle when sliding the door closed.

We had the large handicap verandah and honestly if we spent 30 minutes out there all week it was a lot...there was to much going on during the short 4 day cruise that I didn't want to waste the time sitting out there.....I am hoping to use it more on our 7 day cruise. We were also a bit dissappointed with the verandah because it was a solid metal one and when you sat down in the chair all you were looking at was a solid white metal wall.....I think if I had been able to sit out there and look out at th e ocean without having to stand up and hang over the rail I may have used it more.

Like other posters have said, I used our verandah every morning and every night, and sometimes during the day if it wasn't to hot or humid. It became a place of solitude for me. I spent most of my time out there writing my trip report notes, while DD and DW were still sleeping.

The 3 cruises that I had one, I didn't use it as much as I thought I would, mainly to eat a room service snack and coffee in the morning before heading up to BF, then at night, looking at the moonlight on the water before heading to bed.
My last cruise without one, ( inside stateroom) I never missed it.
If I did a 7 day cruise, I would want one and use it more, I'm sure.

I'm in the minority here but honesty counts for something -

I'm shouldn't have spent the money (7 day cruise)- a porthole would have been fine. I was the first one up (and out) and the last one in so I never used it except when I was feeling guilty that I had it and wasn't using it. I didn't want to disturb the others sleeping in the cabin by opening the door in the early morning or late evening. I must have a bit too much klutz in me but I never got the door opened without a fuss. It also had the lingering old smoke smell from a prior occupant.

I found other quiet area on other parts of the ship that suited me just fine (deck 4, 10, 7).

I even tried it one afternoon (when a small child might be taking nap) to see if there was any appeal then and it was just too darn hot so I moved to deck 4 to read.

There are people that swear by them, I'm just not one of them and thought the "don't need it side" should be represented here.

I used the verandah every morning for coffee while dds slept. But once dd9 woke up we would go to Topsiders and sit on deck there. The girls would sit out on the deck a little in the afternoon and have a snack from room service to help relax. We would also watch as the ship would pull into a port. On the other hand, we spent a fair amount of time on deck 4 to watch as we pulled out of port. in short- I LOVED my verandah and will always try to get a verandah. But if it were a choice between being able to go on a cruise with an inside room or not cruising at all- I would go inside. The verandah is definately a luxury, but I would go without in a heartbeat:D

Our first cruise with Dis (a four day) we hardly used it at all and I felt oh so guilty having spent the extra money on it. BUT, for the seven day we had more time (obviously) so spent more time on it and it was worth it! I spent more this time on our November cruise because I don't think I could cruise without being able to walk out onto the veranda and getting some air!

This last time we even spent sail away on the veranda just for something diff. We also watched port arrivals and departures from it. (very interesting)
It's great to sit out there and read and drink your coffee and just have quiet....well, most of the time had quiet...the gal next to us had a tendency to YELL at her 3 or 4 year old daughter ALOT...got annoying...but hey, we were at sea...not much bothers me out there, I just felt sorry for the little girl...she couldn't do ANYTHING right!:(

Lisa

(nope never did the "veranda club" and to warn you Barb they aren't THAT private:eek: )
I would always go out there first thing in the morning, each time I came in the cabin I would go out there, Before meals when others were changing I would go out there, if I had too much sun I would just 'retire' to the verand and read my book. Always before bed I would sit in the dark out there (my favorite time on it) When I had an ear infection I spent several hours one day out there sleeping. I never worry about missing anything on the ship- I enjoy the peace and quiet. DS can get overwhelmed sometimes when it is too hectic and he just loved to do his homework (yes he has to bring assignments with him on our trips) out there. Never had a real meal out there (my hubby likes to dress up so that was never an issue) but enjoyed many snacks and glasses of wine out there.

Figment, I agree on the verandah. We had one on our last cruise. Didn't use it that much and felt bad we spent the extra money. Our next cruise, we booked an inside. I like to be out and see what's going on.

My only piece of advice would be, if you had never sailed with a verandah, try it at least once.:D

We hardly use ours. There's was alot of stuff to do and most of the time the kids were at their clubs (they just love to go there). We originally had a cat 9 and got a free upgrade to cat 6, so I'm not complaining. But the time we were in the room it was nice to open the sliding door and look out in our verandah and smell the sea. I did get a little paranoid cause my 6 yo likes to climb things.

WE used ours quite a bit on our 7 day cruise. Each morning we would order coffee from Room Service and go up to Topsiders, get our breakfast on a tray and come back and eat on the verandah. We would also get the fruit and cheese platter later in the day and sit out there with a glass of wine or another beverage and either watch the sea go by or leaving port. It was very quiet for reading and I did not have to fight with anyone for a chair like up on Deck 9. Also, when I would rinse out swimsuits from the days activities, I would put them out to dry either over the back of the chairs or on the table. They would dry faster outside than over the string thing in the bathroom. We are going on a 3 day WOnder in November and have a SPR so I will probably be spending more time up on the open decks.

We went on a 3 Day Cruise in September in 2002 and LOVED it! I loved just to be out there at night and look over and see the water be lit up from under the ship! It was sooo WONDERful! Thats why on our next cruise (Oct. 5-9 2003 4Day) we got the same exact room! Bon Voyage!:smooth:

I've only had a verandah once (my 3rd cruise {1st DCL}) & boy, did I miss it last time. We had the secret porthole rooms which were very nice, but, in my opinion, not as enjoyable as the verandah. (However, I agree with the others - if inside cabin is the only choice - I'd go for it.)

Like the others who love it, we used it all of the time.

In the a.m. to enjoy the sunrise, wake up, enjoy coffee/tea, & you don't have to be out of your pj's to do this

In the afternoon after swimming to just be alone & enjoy the sea & the view, maybe read a little, nap

In the evening to listen to the ocean sounds alone without people passing by, snuggling, enjoying the moonlight

We've never had a meal on the verandah, but we might this time. Maybe a midnight snack.

It was just nice to have a place to enjoy the ocean alone if we wanted to. It felt like it was 'all ours' that way.

Originally posted by dclwdwlover
In the a.m. to enjoy the sunrise, wake up, enjoy coffee/tea, & you don't have to be out of your pj's to do this

In the afternoon after swimming to just be alone & enjoy the sea & the view, maybe read a little.......

In the evening to listen to the ocean sounds alone without people passing by, snuggling, enjoying the moonlight

We've never had a meal on the verandah, but we might this time. Maybe a midnight snack.

It felt like it was 'all ours' that way.

trink01.gif
read.gif
144.gif
trink23.gif
biggthumpup.gif

we used our veranda alot. only place in room to smoke. its great for breakfast and a late nite snake. and its just a bit romantic. hint hint. :smooth: :smooth: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter