Thoughs on Saratoga Springs

chenbru

Earning My Ears
We have booked there for Sept, a 2 bedroom villa, anyone have any tips or expirences they wish to share with a first time visitor

I've stayed there twice, both times in the Paddock section. I loved it, and wouldn't hesitate to stay again. The resort is huge, but I had no problem at all walking from my room to the lobby area, or the food court. I really liked the Turf Club bar/restaurant.

I've actually grown to love SSR. My first stay there was this past December and I was hesitant because I am always hearing bad reviews about it (too far, slow buses, etc) but had no choice because it was all that was available through DVC. Anyway, my daughter and I stayed there in the 1100 section which is near a walkway to Downtown Disney, and the bus stop was right there AND we had no issues with busses. Its a huge resort, but one time coming back from MK, I fell asleep and missed our stop so we had to walk back from the Paddock section and it was fine. Room was nice, comfy and the area was quiet. Granted it isn't close to anywhere except DTD, but we still had a fantastic time there. Im staying there again next month and totally looking forward to it. I hope you enjoy it!

SSR is great. We stayed in a 2BR Villa last month and have another one booked for May. As others have mentioned, it's huge. So if you have a preference on what you would like to be close to make sure to do your research so you can request that location. We wanted to be next to the Artists Palette and one of the main pools so we requested The Springs. However, we were the last stop for buses. The resort is very peaceful compared to many of the others. It has a very laid back feel to it.

My only beef is how spread out the resort is. We rely completely on Disney transportation, DH doesn't want to rent a car even though I drive everywhere. The resort is lovely and quite. I just hate the long walks... I walk enough in the parks :)

Love SSR... we are owners there as well. We always stay in a 2 bedroom villa regardless of how many we have. We are a family of 4, however have had another family of 3 stay with us with plenty of room. Another time my mom and sis stayed with us. Our friends liked it there so much that they have traveled there without us paying out of pocket since their trip with us. While it may be spread out, we always love it. We also DO NOT have a car while there and totally rely on Disney transportation. We also do a lot of cooking in our room - breakfast, lunch and even dinner. You won't be disappointed.

We stayed here last January and loved it. I actually love the walking paths around the resort. At night, the paths are lit up by the "gas" lamps along the walkways. It was so pretty. We enjoyed the resort. We loved having the two pools with slides close together (the paddock and the main pool). It is such a lovely resort. The community hall was a lot of fun with all the crafts and games and the movies by the pool had a nice set up. I also did not think the bus system was any worse than other resorts. Loved that we could take a boat to DTD.

Like all the other posts have said it is a wonderful resort we did not have a car and did not find any problems with the buses. We found all the cast members extremely friendly and helpful. The resort it self is so beautiful, our children loved the pools especially the main pool and the Paddock area pool. The resort is not as heavily themed as some others but you certainly still feel the Disney Magic. The boat ride to Downtown is a lovely trip .We stayed in a 2 bed apartment which was huge ,and mouse keeping amazing We are lucky enough to be able to stay for 21 nights and we felt as though we had all the comforts of home with all the excitement, fun,delights and joy of Disney.

I stayed in 2BR 2 years ago and will be in a studio in May. Lovely resort, spacious accommodations and very quiet. Love the spa/hot tubs. Only complaint I have is very limited selection at the CS.

We absolutely LOVE this resort. We are owners as well. This resort has something for everyone tastes. You can be secluded or right in the middle of the action. We stayed in Congress Park last time and the walk to Downtown Disney was great. It really adds another dimension have DDD so close. The walk to the Carriage house from Congress Park is a little long but that totally depends on which building you are in. We are headed back home the first week of June and are looking forward to it.

Thank you all so much. If possible I am now even more excited to go. I have no idea what area we will be staying in and I really have no preferance. As long as we are comfy and happy that is all that matters.

We will be on the disney dining so some extra walking will be helpful as we will be eating better then we usually do on a vacation.

Thanks again for all input, it sure has been helpful

That is our DVC home resort.

Here are a few things to think about when deciding where to stay at while at SSR.

Do you have young kids that will be traveling with you. Then you will want a room in the Spring section. This section is located across the street from the Rock Springs Pool AKA the big main feature pool. However the Springs are the last section to be picked up on the bus route. There is another feature pool in the Paddock area as well and this area is in a quietier section of the resort. .

If you don't have young kids then I would suggested the Grandstand with has a nice pool area complete with a walk up snack bar/bar. You can get your refillable mug filled there although it closes I think around 6 -7 p.m. Grandstand is also the first bus stop at the resort.

*** Just keep in mind the walkway from Congress Park section to DTD is closed till 2016 when the construction at DTD is done.

Since there is construction at DTD I am not sure how inviting it would be to stay at Congress Park which faces DTD and is the closest part of the resort to DTD.

Love SSR, we have stayed in a two bed three times now. My advice regards the different types of two bed villas, there is a dedicated type or a lock off form. The differences effect the second bed room. In a dedicated room there are 2 queen beds but in a lock off you get a studio room attached to a one bed villa meaning you get a queen bed and a sofa bed but you also get an extra refrigerator meaning you don't have to disturb anyone if they are sleeping in the main room. Unless you need the extra bed in the room i would ask for a lock off. we also loved the paddock, there is a drinks area there where you can get your sodas and hot chocolate meaning you don't have to walk to the main building.

Have stayed here three times already and we have loved and enjoyed each dvc resort we have stayed in. Take the time to explore and walk around. Request near a bus stop. It is really not as big and overwhelming as it seems at first.

Springs section is within a few mins. of walking. DTD is also within a few minutes of walking, getting the ferry or taking a bus. We had the car two of the three times we stayed her and only used the car twice for our last trip. We drove down so we did not want to use/be in the car. We only drove to POR and A of A resort. The first time - we had no choice and drove a lot since we were there for my daughter doing the CP program.

Enjoy!

We stayed here in a 1BR villa in January for our first ever trip to Disney world. The villa was huge (It was just the 2 of us) and we just requested for it to be close to downtown disney, and that was arranged for us. It was 10mins to slowly walk round to downtown :cutie: (A wee drinky in the margarita bar and then skipping home was awesome!), 2mins to walk to bus stop, 5 mins to walk to Artistes Palate/reception. The standard was so high we decided to join DVC whilst we were there. We enjoyed the food in the artistes Palate and it was in a good location -in that it didn't feel like it took very long to get anywhere. That being said we were fresh to Disney, so perhaps in comparison to other resorts 'its far away' but for us, it felt perfectly situated!

Shelly F - Ohio said:
That is our DVC home resort.

Here are a few things to think about when deciding where to stay at while at SSR.

Do you have young kids that will be traveling with you. Then you will want a room in the Spring section. This section is located across the street from the Rock Springs Pool AKA the big main feature pool. However the Springs are the last section to be picked up on the bus route. There is another feature pool in the Paddock area as well and this area is in a quietier section of the resort. .

If you don't have young kids then I would suggested the Grandstand with has a nice pool area complete with a walk up snack bar/bar. You can get your refillable mug filled there although it closes I think around 6 -7 p.m. Grandstand is also the first bus stop at the resort.

*** Just keep in mind the walkway from Congress Park section to DTD is closed till 2016 when the construction at DTD is done.

Since there is construction at DTD I am not sure how inviting it would be to stay at Congress Park which faces DTD and is the closest part of the resort to DTD.

Hi Shelly!

So you recommend SSR? I am debating a staying there in October. Its my brothers home resort. I am leaning toward it because of the cost (free) but wasn't sure how I felt about it. I should just ignore all reviews and decide for myself! Half the time I find the 'negatives' to be irrelevant! Since this is a solo trip, peaceful is what I want!

Haven't seen you for awhile at TDS! Stop in and say hi!

Amfie

Hi Shelly!

So you recommend SSR? I am debating a staying there in October. Its my brothers home resort. I am leaning toward it because of the cost (free) but wasn't sure how I felt about it. I should just ignore all reviews and decide for myself! Half the time I find the 'negatives' to be irrelevant! Since this is a solo trip, peaceful is what I want!

Haven't seen you for awhile at TDS! Stop in and say hi!

Amfie

LOL, well free is a strong motivator!!
Anyhoo,

I stayed at SSR one time when I booked a last minute trip. It is not my favorite resort but i did think it had it's own charm.
It was my first time and I admit I did not like the size of it. I did love the turf club. thinks it's one of disney "best kept secrets". I thought the grab and go was very lacking.

So while I did have a good time, I would n't pick it again

Thanks again for all the tips.

I am a bit confused as I have not been and didnt realize that there were so many different options etc.

I think I need to do me some more research on what location we would want to be at and see if we can get that.

Thanks again

Hi, I'm joining in to see what areas people suggest. Studio 3 nights in May, this will be our first visit to SSR.

There is one section that I felt is really a remote area - Caorousel. All the other sections - everyone has their own favorites. Congress though is closest to DTD and Springs is in the middle/center by Community Hall, Artiste Pallete, Spa. Grandstand and Paddock - close enough to walk to Spring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter