Thoughts? Advice request for my scenario

Mimi151

Earning My Ears
I’ve been all over the map with this - everything from “I’ll be 80 years old in 2042 so I don’t want a longer lease,” to buying longer lease and putting my kids names on it, to not putting their names on it and planning to sell at some point. I’ve gone from buying at OKW at Poly with enough points to take 4 families at once, to saying the heck with it I can’t afford that, and not buying at all…. And especially after reading how difficult it can be to get rooms sometimes even at your home resort because of people “walking.” I’m not up for that kind of work to book a room!

Here’s my scenario. I want a place to escape winter for a few days a year. I want the option to take my grandkids (2-3) with me occasionally. Staying on the monorail or at a walking distance resort would be FAB, but I think I’ve decided not to spend that much. I’m now thinking “Hmmm… maybe a small contract (like 100 points) at SSR or OKW or AK and at the 7 month point switch to different resort - wherever points are available.” I know I should buy where I want to stay but the difference in price huge when the only big difference is the transportation to the parks. So….. can those who have access to the “7 months out” website/app give me some insight on if this strategy would work for me? Could I get like 3 consecutive days at Poly, BLT, BW, BCV, GF at the 7 month mark? Assuming my points covered it. (Probably Dec-March - not Xmas, not school breaks -I understand). Also, if there any resort to purchase that you’d absolutely avoid due to transportation being a bit of a nightmare if we chose to stay at the resort I bought at? (I’m not interested in VB or HH). Long post - thanks for reading and any insight!!!

First, I'd recommend you buy at a place you wouldn't mind staying in case you don't find a suitable change at 7 months - you don't want to be disappointed if nothing is available at 7 months. Second, you'll probably find it a little more likely that you could move at 7 months to certain room types - possibly the more points-expensive 1BR units. If you're only willing to stay in a studio, your options could be fewer. Otherwise, you might need to consider more than 100 points. Of course, there's always banking and borrowing if you're only looking to go every 2-3 years.

As for transportation issues to avoid? Many of the resorts will be via buses as the primary mode of transportation, and most of the time we find that to be just fine. If you have little kids and spend more time at MK, the bus ride from AKL to MK can be longer than most. Then again, if you stay at a monorail resort and your grandkids want to see the animals at AK, the bus ride is similar that direction, too.

Finally, the idea of 'walking' being a significant problem is probably unlikely. It seems to happen for very specific room types, like AKL Club Level, AKL Value rooms (less points), some BW rooms, and perhaps another specific type or 2. For the most part, you won't have issues getting rooms at your home resort at 11 months, unless you go during an extremely busy time (and you already said no Christmas).

Perhaps an OKW resale contract with a 2057 expiration? The OKW points charts are favorable, the resort is really nice, the rooms are quite large, and it's a great place to bring family when you need multiple rooms - we've done it. Just a potential option - of which you have many!! Speaking of many - you'll get many opinions on the topic. I just tried to throw out a couple considerations for you as you work on a potential purchase. Good luck!

I just ran a search for 1/2/2025-1/5/2025. There is a decent amount of availability across the resorts if you can be flexible about the resort and room type/size.

January is a low point month so things might get tougher in Feb and March.

Last edited:
First, I'd recommend you buy at a place you wouldn't mind staying in case you don't find a suitable change at 7 months - you don't want to be disappointed if nothing is available at 7 months. Second, you'll probably find it a little more likely that you could move at 7 months to certain room types - possibly the more points-expensive 1BR units. If you're only willing to stay in a studio, your options could be fewer. Otherwise, you might need to consider more than 100 points. Of course, there's always banking and borrowing if you're only looking to go every 2-3 years.

As for transportation issues to avoid? Many of the resorts will be via buses as the primary mode of transportation, and most of the time we find that to be just fine. If you have little kids and spend more time at MK, the bus ride from AKL to MK can be longer than most. Then again, if you stay at a monorail resort and your grandkids want to see the animals at AK, the bus ride is similar that direction, too.

Finally, the idea of 'walking' being a significant problem is probably unlikely. It seems to happen for very specific room types, like AKL Club Level, AKL Value rooms (less points), some BW rooms, and perhaps another specific type or 2. For the most part, you won't have issues getting rooms at your home resort at 11 months, unless you go during an extremely busy time (and you already said no Christmas).

Perhaps an OKW resale contract with a 2057 expiration? The OKW points charts are favorable, the resort is really nice, the rooms are quite large, and it's a great place to bring family when you need multiple rooms - we've done it. Just a potential option - of which you have many!! Speaking of many - you'll get many opinions on the topic. I just tried to throw out a couple considerations for you as you work on a potential purchase. Good luck!
Thanks. Glad to hear walking is less of an issue than I thought it would be. I started the whole purchase idea thinking OKW (but didn’t like the annual fee rate being so high), so maybe I’ll look into that again and I’ll re-eval # of points needed because I was hoping 100 would be enough. I’m torn because I can book Shades of Green as well (out of the DVC system) but that’s all bus transport as well, and with that there’s no hope of trying different resorts. Which was the real appealing aspect to me because we’d never choose to pay the cash and say in a deluxe. You didn’t mention SSR at all. Can you tell me what makes OKW over SSR? Thanks for your answer.

I just ran a search for 1/2/2025-1/5/2025. There is a decent amount of availability across the resorts if you can be flexible about the resort and room type/size.

January is a low point month so things might get tougher in Feb and March.
Thank you. I guess I’ll re-evaluate the points. I was hoping to save some money. If I have to buy a lot of points, I’m back to buying fewer and getting 11 month privilege!

Thank you. I guess I’ll re-evaluate the points. I was hoping to save some money. If I have to buy a lot of points, I’m back to buying fewer and getting 11 month privilege!
My family made a 100 point contract work for more than 11 years. We would rent points when necessary to round out our trips. We have also bought one time use points (OTU) occasionally.

Thanks. Glad to hear walking is less of an issue than I thought it would be. I started the whole purchase idea thinking OKW (but didn’t like the annual fee rate being so high), so maybe I’ll look into that again and I’ll re-eval # of points needed because I was hoping 100 would be enough. I’m torn because I can book Shades of Green as well (out of the DVC system) but that’s all bus transport as well, and with that there’s no hope of trying different resorts. Which was the real appealing aspect to me because we’d never choose to pay the cash and say in a deluxe. You didn’t mention SSR at all. Can you tell me what makes OKW over SSR? Thanks for your answer.

So here is the thing to consider. A resort that has a low point cost to stay but higher dues, often turns out to be less dollars per night. The best possible "dues deal" is to buy a low dues resort and switch at seven months to a low points resort - but the low points resorts are often difficult to get at seven months - but if you are happy at OKW (which is bus transportation everywhere), you'll likely be fine. If you buy a small number of points, watch the point charts though - they go a lot less far at seven months at the Poly than they will at OKW.

Don't plan on BWV studios at seven months - particularly standard view which disappear right at eleven months pretty much year round. But even the regular studios go fast once the window opens - - likewise BCV. BWV/BCV has some really low point charts and is close to Epcot, making it a great "points deal" for people who don't own there. You will get those resorts maybe sometimes, but not reliably.

One bedrooms are frequently available at seven months when all else is gone, but are a LOT more expensive than studios.

Honestly, if I were eligible for Shades of Green, I wouldn't buy DVC, especially SSR/OKW/AK.

Owning a DVC contract also gives you the option to transfer in points from another member (once per year max). This would be nice because you could use your little contract to get a studio for a couple days each winter, and some years if you want to host family or stay longer, you could do a transfer and get some more points (which could be from a monorail resort, allowing you to book it for sure in the 7-11 month range). I have found the transfer points available on here for $18-20 per point and several successful experiences!

Getting rooms at the popular resorts is getting harder and it really will be dependent on the actual days.

If you have flexibility to book…moving your days a few days later or forward, that can make the world of difference.

I think the addition of resort studios to VGF, has opened that up as an easier option during the winter months. With the new Poly tower, and the way they typically declare units when selling, I see that resort having very tough availaibyt at 7 months for the first few years until they have declared a decent number of units.

For me, I’d spend a bit more to get a resort near a park so I know my transportation can be more flexible.

@Mimi151
I was in your shoes last spring.

My thought process was simple and I landed with a 100 point resale at OKW 2042. I could pay cash for the contract and be able to manage the dues which fits with my values. I could try other resorts, at least for the next few years, that I would never pay cash for or rent points through a broker to experience. I don't plan to sell my contract but I know I could if I had to financially. I shouldn't be dead when it expires so I am not leaving a legacy no one might want.

And if you are on other threads here, you will see me endlessly debating buying MORE points. I can do a direct purchase cheaper now that I am a dvc owner.

I can still stay at Port Orleans Riverside which is my first and families favorite resort. We are not cash strapped by the dvc we chose.

It took me years to pull the trigger, I did it at the worst possible time, and I am still gleeful over it all.

Good luck!

It's tough to compare, since those dates are 9 months out. Not sure what they'll look like at 7.

And, as always, there can be big difference between 7am 7 months out and 7 am at six months and 29 days. Once the seven month window opens, in demand rooms (e.g. studios) at in demand resorts (e.g. smaller near park resorts) get snapped up. And are often walked into.

I’ve been all over the map with this - everything from “I’ll be 80 years old in 2042 so I don’t want a longer lease,” to buying longer lease and putting my kids names on it, to not putting their names on it and planning to sell at some point. I’ve gone from buying at OKW at Poly with enough points to take 4 families at once, to saying the heck with it I can’t afford that, and not buying at all…. And especially after reading how difficult it can be to get rooms sometimes even at your home resort because of people “walking.” I’m not up for that kind of work to book a room!

Here’s my scenario. I want a place to escape winter for a few days a year. I want the option to take my grandkids (2-3) with me occasionally. Staying on the monorail or at a walking distance resort would be FAB, but I think I’ve decided not to spend that much. I’m now thinking “Hmmm… maybe a small contract (like 100 points) at SSR or OKW or AK and at the 7 month point switch to different resort - wherever points are available.” I know I should buy where I want to stay but the difference in price huge when the only big difference is the transportation to the parks. So….. can those who have access to the “7 months out” website/app give me some insight on if this strategy would work for me? Could I get like 3 consecutive days at Poly, BLT, BW, BCV, GF at the 7 month mark? Assuming my points covered it. (Probably Dec-March - not Xmas, not school breaks -I understand). Also, if there any resort to purchase that you’d absolutely avoid due to transportation being a bit of a nightmare if we chose to stay at the resort I bought at? (I’m not interested in VB or HH). Long post - thanks for reading and any insight!!!
Ah, analysis paralysis. I know it well.
W/ DVC & the specific resorts you’re considering, resale tends to hold value, so if you buy & discover DVC doesn’t work for you, you can sell & recoup some of your investment. If you buy & discover you like the system but the 7 month dance doesn’t work for you, you can sell & use those funds + a little more to buy a resort you prefer.
For most DVC is a long term commitment, although your grandkids are ages 2-3 right now by the time you buy a resale contract & schedule a trip they’ll be 3-4 & by your second or third year of ownership they’ll be in school at which point you’ll likely need to schedule any trips w/ them during their school holidays. Also be aware that DVC hard to get times are somewhat different than school breaks, one of the toughest to get IMO, is early Dec. before schools break for the holidays.
I personally started w/ a less expensive resale resort (AKV) that I liked & intended to stay at because it was hard for me to spend that much money on a nonessential unknown. After I was familiar w/ the system & discovered how much I liked staying in villas (in my case 1 or 2 br.s) v. hotel rooms it was easier for me to loosen the purse strings & add on at my more expensive favorite resort (VGF.)

Consider a small resale contract at BLT.
It is on the monorail and walkable to MK.
Contract is long enough that you can sell it and get something back when done.

Other good option is to buy SSR or AKV and stay there or pick something else at 7 months.

We were looking at buying one but couldn't decide so we ended up buying in at 3 resorts.
BWV for the availability of low point charts and walkability around crescent lake, Epcot and Hollywood studios
BLT for the cheapest MK walkability and Monorail access, plus longer expiration compared to BWV
AKV for easy access to AK, unique experience with the animals and to use for SAP+ points.

If we had to choose just 2 we would have probably left off AKV, idk what we would have done if we wanted to just choose one. I wish you luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter