Thoughts on Grand Cayman Itinerary Change?

Grand Cayman posted last night, they are not allowing ships to dock for January 2022.
So far DCL has notified Disney and Wonder passengers, nothing on The Magic. We sail the 22nd, we may hear something today.
There is an article on The DCL cruise blog.

FWIW, St. Thomas denied docking to the Fantasy this morning. There is a Carnival ship in port, so it's either USVI officials or DCL officials making this call, likely for reasons related to Vibe and Edge being closed.

It (the "Chichen Itza with Cenote Swim" excursion) was expensive - $150 per person.
Thank you. Yes it seems kinda pricey but honestly a lot of excursions are. My kids love
things like this so will be worth it.

Oh, it was Disney, on the Wonder. It was actually the first time any Disney ship had docked in Progreso, and they made a big deal of it there.

I should have said - the tour we did in Progreso was Chichen Itza with Cenote swim. Chichen Itza was a bucket list thing for me, even though we weren't there for that long, and the Cenote swim was way cooler than I had expected (and was the favorite part of the trip for my daughter) - basically swimming in an underground cavern with lots of stalagtites/stalagmites. This was an all-day excursion (we were some of the first ones off the ship, and returned right near all-aboard time, and was expensive, but we liked it. The nearly-perfect weather didn't hurt, either!

We were disappointed at first to miss Grand Cayman (we had been there on a previous trip, and we remember it as the best beach we've ever seen anywhere), but that excursion made us really glad things switched around.
Can you expand on your experience? Did you take a bus or boat to your destination and how was that? We did a cenote swim in Cozumel and it was the highlight of our trip as well. There was a ferry ride to the main shore though and that part id rather avoid. We worried about the seas being rough but we were ok and then we did miss the all aboard time but they held the boat since the ferry was all Disney cruise people.

Key West is out due to their vote to ban large ships.

Except they are not banned and other ships are stopping there. It was overturned by the state.

Example Celebrity Summit stops tomorrow with ship capacity of 2500 guests.

Can you expand on your experience? Did you take a bus or boat to your destination and how was that? We did a cenote swim in Cozumel and it was the highlight of our trip as well. There was a ferry ride to the main shore though and that part id rather avoid. We worried about the seas being rough but we were ok and then we did miss the all aboard time but they held the boat since the ferry was all Disney cruise people.
Just so I don't clutter up this thread, I just now posted a super-long excursion report at:
Progreso Excursion: Chichen Itza with Cenote Swim (12/24/21) | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

But, the short answer is that there was a bus (no boat) to get there. Progreso is on the mainland.

Looks like DCL is running the gambit: replacing January sailing with a Sea Day, Nassau, and now Progreso. I’m crossing my fingers for a solid Progreso replacement unless we actually get to go to GC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter