Thrilled for first timers! But need advice.

We just got back with a party of 9 (my family of 5 plus both sets of grandparents). It went well. We stuck together for everything. I created a touring plan for each day, but emphasized that it was just to keep us moving but not something set in stone. I didn’t want to be in situations where we would ask each other what to do next and waste 30 minutes deciding. We rode most of the rides we wanted with minimal wait times. I was happy overall with how the trip went. Looking back I wish I had scheduled more free time in the parks to allow for shopping/exploring/grabbing a snack. No one complained, but I wish I had had a chance to peek in a shop or try a snack.

We traveled with grandparents, so they were just happy to go along with everything and see the grandkids excitement. Since you are traveling with other kids, maybe find out what 1-3 of their must do’s are.
Great to hear that your party of 9 fared well together! Everyone in this group is very laid back and will do with the flow. Grandparents are already excited to whatever the kids want to do :)

Also, don't forget that for ADR you need to include the 2yo so you will need to make ADRs for 11 people. That could be a challenge so make sure you're booking your meals as soon as you can and have alternatives if your must dos don't work or make to overlapping ADRs (you will need two MDE accounts for that) but in that case, you probably won't eat together.

Maybe include some free afternoons? Those times, some could go back to the hotel to rest or you could split up for a few hours.
Oy I am already dreading ADRs for 11 but good to know the little one still needs to be included. I’m thinking only one ADR a day, if that, and trying to avoid anything too crazy like BoG or Cali Grill. I should probably stop thinking about Ohana as well haha.

Totally agree with you on the PM breaks. Use up the FPs in the AM and leave the afternoons flexible. A must do even for the three of us. Hopefully those that want to relax will do it and those who want to be park warriors can do their thing as well.

Thanks!

Will you not be there long enough to go to each Park? For HS you could go but also have part of that day as a resort day. For newbies, I wouldn't skip any park. I would plan your first day at MK - nothing like seeing that castle for the first time. Unless doing the dining plan, I wouldn't over schedule ADRs but definitely catch a few character ones. Have fun!
Original thought was 3 days at the parks and 3 days at Vero. Newbs aren’t interested in park hoppers so we started trying to eliminate a park. But after talking it through I think we are going to push for 5 nights at WDW so they can do it all! I would hate to be the one to pick which park to skip and have someone miss out on something they might love.

I took my sister for the first time (well, for her, first time in over 25 years) two years ago. I booked GF because it was kind of a "girlie" trip and I wanted to knock her socks off. If budget allows, for first timers, I would probably opt for a monorail resort that has a theme that appeals to you. I would suggest GF or Poly (or TPV rooms at CR). There is nothing like seeing the castle from your resort to make WDW seriously magical. If that's not in the budget and you need to go mod or value, I would recommend POR or POFQ and Pop.

With my sister, I made sure to do at least one princess meal (we ended up doing two - CRT and Akershus), one Mickey meal (we did TH) and one signature (I would highly recommend Cali Grill for newbies - the view is stunning). Restaurants with great theming may be fun as well - Biergarten is great with a big group and Sci-Fi is very cool.

The 2-year old will not need FP+. In terms of skipping a park, it would depend on the group's interests. If no one is interested in animals, skip AK. If no one is interested in Star Wars or Toy Story, skip DHS. If you would rather do rides than walking around and perusing things, skip EP. Of course, don't skip MK, LOL!

The nighttime shows are quite spectacular, IMHO, so I would try to do at least one or two. If you have to pick one, do HEA and seriously consider springing for one of the dessert parties. We prefer the Plaza dessert party for the viewing. It's also a bit cheaper than the terrace party.
Cali Grill is a fave of ours but I am seriously scared of trying to make a reservation for 11 there haha.

Dessert party is a great idea! And one I wouldn’t have thought of. Good way to ensure we all get to see the show without too much jockeying for position. avoiding crowds when possible is the goal!

Biergarten is another great suggestion, thanks!

We always travel as a group of 10 (our 6 kids, aged 4-14 plus my parents in their 60s). It's totally enjoyable, and I think you'll be surprised that you actually WILL get to have fun, even as the planner.

We travel together, and split up for certain rides. For example, I plan our fp's so that those who like roller coasters will ride at the same time we have a fp for the little ones on a tame ride. (ie: Older kids do 7DMT while Grandparents and younger kids hit Winnie the Pooh, etc.). We plan one nice ADR mid-day to rest and relax. Each day has a laminated "game plan" sheet with the rough order of where we're going throughout the day. This way, no one is arguing over where to go. And, people can see ahead to each day and know that they WILL get to their favourite ride eventually so they don't need to stress over that.

For first timers, I would have to say that the evening shows have been the most magical for our group. My parents also LOVE some of the educational attractions, like Living with the Land and Carousal of Progress. And you know what? Our younger kids have learned to love those, too. The key is to make sure everyone understands that whining is a huge No-No if it's because you "have" to go to an attraction for the sake of someone else in the group. To make the trip fun, compromise is a must.

Also: REST DAYS!! We never do parks for more than 2 consecutive days. Our schedule usually looks like this:

-Pool / unpack / relax day
-2 park days
-Rest / pool / shop / beach day
-2 park days
-Rest day and pack for home.

Anyway, to each his own. I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Thank you for putting my mind at ease! We were trying to figure out how to divide the FPs and I think that’s a good plan. Three of the four kids in our group are boys that love bigger rides so we have to accommodate them. Once we know how long we are staying we will for sure work in a rest day. We also do rest hours every afternoon. Thanks!

I know a lot of people recommend doing MK first, but sometimes that can backfire, as MK is the most “Disney” like park and also has the most ride options. If I were going to all four parks, I would start with AK, then DHS, then Epcot, then MK. I think AK is a great opener because it’s such a well themed park and offers a decent selection of family rides. Then you hit the two parks with construction who aren’t going to be living up to their full potential at the moment, and then wow them at the end with MK and leave them wanting more.

I would also consider splitting the group once a day so that some of the more thrill loving members of the group can have a thrill FP while the rest of the group does a tamer option. For example, maybe some do Navi River while some do FoP. That also gives the group different experiences to talk about when everyone gets together again.
Never thought about MK like that but it makes sense. I grew up going to DL so MK is always first for us but for newcomers it’s something to think about!

We are working on a plan to split up however 2 of the members of our group don’t speak English (they moved here from Colombia) and only one of us are bilingual and he would need to stay with the big kids so we are still working on that. I agree some people doing a big ride while uninterested parties do a smaller ride is the way to go if we can. Thanks!

Here is my take on FP in each park with no height requirement. These are not necessarily my favorite rides; just what I think is the best use of a fastpass to avoid long waits (for example, I love the little mermaid ride in MK, but I must be the only one who does because there is NEVER a line).

MK
Peter Pan's Flight
Jungle Cruise
Pirates of the Carribbean/Haunted Mansion/Buzz Lightyear (depending on you party's preferences)

EP
Frozen Ever After
Spaceship Earth
Turtle Talk with Crush

AK
Navi River Journey
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Character Outpost

HS
Toy Story Mania
Fozen Singalong
Fantasmic!
This is great thank you! We are still trying to figure out if sticking together or dividing up is best... but either way we need FPs for “smaller” rides for the two year old and this gives me a great outline.

I think everybody needs to figure out what they want in this trip. Are you all doing a big disney trip or are you going to disney at the same time? There's a difference.

My last trip was an extended family trip, but we were a small number so we toured as a horde. My next family trip is 7-8 adults and 3-4 kids. We're not touring as a horde, we're not even all staying in the same place. One group will be at Ft Wilderness with their camper, one group will be offsite at a marriott timeshare, and my group will either be at POR/POFQ or hopefully AKL.

For everyone's sanity/happiness, everyone needs to be on the same page. What are THEIR expectations for a Disney trip? Personally I like it when first timers are able to do their own thing (and make their own mistakes) and figure out what they like/dislike.
Good way to break it down. We are doing WDW together not just going at the same time. Everyone is looking to us to lead the way but I really need to lay it out for them and see what their expectations are for sure because there are a million options and I can’t read minds!

Never thought about MK like that but it makes sense. I grew up going to DL so MK is always first for us but for newcomers it’s something to think about!

We are working on a plan to split up however 2 of the members of our group don’t speak English (they moved here from Colombia) and only one of us are bilingual and he would need to stay with the big kids so we are still working on that. I agree some people doing a big ride while uninterested parties do a smaller ride is the way to go if we can. Thanks!

Do the CM nametags still indicate what languages they speak other than English? That would be something to keep in mind if the group splits - to look for someone wearing a tag for their language. I haven't paid attention my last few trips, so I'm not sure if they still do that, but I would think so, as many international guests as they have visiting. Also, having a translator app on the phone can help, where it would translate back and forth if the guest and CM don't speak a common language. We have had to use translator apps in our office a few times, and they really help a lot.

What did you love your first time? Hoop De Doo Revue is a fun one for our family and one of my favorites for a first-time visitor. Seeing the fireworks show, Fantasmic, and having dinner at one of the really great themed restaurants (Sci Fi Dine-In for lunch, San Angel Inn, etc) is a must-do, too.

What knocked your socks off to the point that it became a must do for you? Flight of Passage, no question. That ride is amazing. We really enjoyed our sit-down at Hoop De Doo Revue. Extra Magic Hours at Epcot one night was so much fun. We were laughing and running from ride to ride with no wait.

Do 2 year olds need FPs? Nope - no FP needed!

If you've planned for a larger group what worked for you? We're in the process of planning for a group of 13 people for Disneyland in California (a little easier there with Maxpass vs. FP+). We do plan on dividing up for some activities, as one family wants to see Mickey Mouse with their 3 year old and the older kids would rather ride an E-ticket during that time. We will eat together and start and end the day together, but if someone wants to wait for something the others don't, we will split up. We all plan on bringing power packs for our cell phones so we can easily text each other if we split.

What 3 FPs would you pick for each park that have no height requirement? Epcot: Frozen Ever After, Spaceship Earth, Turtle Talk. Animal Kingdom: Navi River Journey, Safari, Lion King Show. HS: MIdway Mania, Fantasmic... our family is Frozen'ed out so we would avoid the sing along. LOL MK: Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion. These would be our picks without height requirements, but honestly: we wouldn't choose fast passes based on the lack of height requirements. We would use rider switch for the ones who weren't tall enough to ride.

If you had to skip one park which would it be? That is hard - I don't know if I could skip a park! Possibly HS but my son would be crushed as his favorite rides are there.

We were first timers this year. Here is what wowed us:
- fireworks show at MK
- parade at MK
- FOP of course
- Soarin’
- Safari
- Everest
- lion king show
- Ragland road: amazing show and awesome food

I totally understand that rationale WRT MK having so much more wow. However, I have decided over many trips (not just to WDW) that we never wait until the end to do something we consider a must-do if at all possible. Weather, illness, and other unexpected things happen, and I try to keep time in the plan to rearrange those must-dos if possible.

We like to do MK first and also last, but that doesn’t always work on shorter trips.

We went as a family of 8 in 2014, ages ranging from 4 to 68. One of the days we went to MK, we opted for a private VIP tour guide. It was an amazing experience. The tour guide is like an entertaining human FP+ for 7 hours and for 10 ppl in your party (guessing the 2year old may be free) it might be worth it to bang out MK in one day. It’s a bit pricey, but it cut out an additional MK day and night for the family :)
Have a great trip!

Our extended family of 10 (plus a 2 year old) has decided to do WDW together summer in 2019. I’m aware this is a large group and that I will not get to enjoy most things because of this. My family of 3 has been 4 times, once with 6 people, but this is a good deal larger. Our group will range from 2-61 years old so we are going to try and account for everyone’s needs. Everyone is active and in good shape but we won’t be spending 12 hours in the park regardless. But I have questions!

What did you love your first time? What knocked your socks off to the point that it became a must do for you? Was it seeing the fireworks/nighttime shows? The food? The resort you stayed at? I want to make a good impression for these newbs. And stop myself from overplanning.

Do 2 year olds need FPs? I assume no ticket means no FP. She will be on a lap for every ride but this is new territory for us.

If you've planned for a larger group what worked for you? We plan to divide up into two parties of five and keep it as low stress as possible (lol) but will take whatever tips you can toss our way.

What 3 FPs would you pick for each park that have no height requirement?

If you had to skip one park which would it be?

Thank you WDW hive mind! Really appreciate all the info I get here <3
*What us (and kids) enjoyed the most the first time was the restaurants. One or two is enough. Are there other kids? CRT is our absolute favourite but it's because our daughter (2 when we went last year) loves princesses. Next to that is T-Rex (dinosaur lovers), Rainforest Cafe (cool for kids), and Coral Reef (basically in an aquarium and our kids love that). That said I haven't tried a lot of the others that seem to be popular like Ohana.

*Two year olds do not need FP+

*At 2 the child might meet requirements. My daughter rode 7DMT at 2 because she met the 38" requirement. So my picks would be:

MK - It's hard to choose but:
1) Buzz Lightyear (both my kids loved this at 2 and still do)
2) 7DMT (if 2 year old is over 38" w/sneakers)
3) Peter Pan
(then I'd make an effort to get to winnie the pooh, under the sea, dumbo, haunted mansion & pirates either early or as a 4th FP+)

AK - Kilimanjaro, FOP, FOTLK

HS - TSMM, Slinky Dog, frozen

Epcot - Soarin', Spaceship Earth, Nemo

*I'd skip Epcot

Good way to break it down. We are doing WDW together not just going at the same time. Everyone is looking to us to lead the way but I really need to lay it out for them and see what their expectations are for sure because there are a million options and I can’t read minds!

If you only have 3 days, I would honestly have them spend 2 days at MK and one day at another park (whatever park fits their image of what Disney is). My first trip was only 3 days long. We spent 2 days at MK and one at DHS (back when it was MGM).

If you can spread it out to 5 days, I'd still recommend 2 days at MK (personally I get overwhelmed by MK and need 2 days to deal with it).

*What us (and kids) enjoyed the most the first time was the restaurants. One or two is enough. Are there other kids? CRT is our absolute favourite but it's because our daughter (2 when we went last year) loves princesses. Next to that is T-Rex (dinosaur lovers), Rainforest Cafe (cool for kids), and Coral Reef (basically in an aquarium and our kids love that). That said I haven't tried a lot of the others that seem to be popular like Ohana.

*Two year olds do not need FP+

*At 2 the child might meet requirements. My daughter rode 7DMT at 2 because she met the 38" requirement.
So my picks would be:

MK - It's hard to choose but:
1) Buzz Lightyear (both my kids loved this at 2 and still do)
2) 7DMT (if 2 year old is over 38" w/sneakers)
3) Peter Pan
(then I'd make an effort to get to winnie the pooh, under the sea, dumbo, haunted mansion & pirates either early or as a 4th FP+)

AK - Kilimanjaro, FOP, FOTLK

HS - TSMM, Slinky Dog, frozen

Epcot - Soarin', Spaceship Earth, Nemo

*I'd skip Epcot

So your child was 2 (so no park ticket or FP needed), but could still go on 7DMT? That is awesome!

Last edited:
So your child was 2 (so no park ticket or FP needed), but could still go on 7DMT? That is awesome!
Yes she was two last April when we went and had no ticket and no FP+ booked. She barely met the requirement (the second time they had to move her out and measure her again) but she did! She also went on Kali River Rapids too =) Myself, husband and son (4) had FP+ for both rides.

I can’t answer all of your questions, but I will answer the first two. I visited Epcot for the first time in March of 1983. They had a primitive touch screen that was almost inconceivable at that time :)
I didn’t return until 2001 with DW and three kids. During that visit the detailed theming and immersion of Africa in AK really impressed me.
FOP knocked my socks off and is a must do.
Just my 2 cents

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter