What are the odds I can upgrade a MYW ticket to an AP and have the expiration date of the AP be 1 year from the last day of use of the MYW ticket?
I know the policy would be the AP would expire 1 year from the first date of use of the MYW ticket, but has anyone had any luck convincing Disney to use the last date??

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, changing the (proper) anniversary date of an AP via ticket upgrade would be unlikely.
You can certainly ask.

What are the odds I can upgrade a MYW ticket to an AP and have the expiration date of the AP be 1 year from the last day of use of the MYW ticket?
I know the policy would be the AP would expire 1 year from the first date of use of the MYW ticket, but has anyone had any luck convincing Disney to use the last date??

At the current point in time, the computer automatically sets the expiration date when upgrading a ticket to an AP. CMs used to have to enter it manually but not any more.

I'm thinking of purchasing 2 DVC Gold Passes today. We have old tickets, both expiry and non-expiry/hoppers and non hoppers which I haven't added to my MDE account yet and not sure if I can. In the event that I can't, my question is if I buy 2 AP's and use the vouchers to make fps for future trip (not until 2020), can we bring the old tickets with us and have a cm enter them into our MDE (exchange them for tickets that will go through the turnstile?) and not activate our APs if that isn't the trip we want to start using them?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense and please let me know what you would do. We don't want to upgrade the old tickets. We don't have a trip planned and won't for a couple of years.

I'm thinking of purchasing 2 DVC Gold Passes today.

We have old tickets, both expiry and non-expiry/hoppers and non hoppers which I haven't added to my MDE account yet and not sure if I can. In the event that I can't, my question is if I buy 2 AP's and use the vouchers to make fps for future trip (not until 2020),

1. can we bring the old tickets with us and have a cm enter them into our MDE (exchange them for tickets that will go through the turnstile?)
2. and not activate our APs if that isn't the trip we want to start using them?

1. Yes.
2. You cannot "accidentally" activate an AP certificate, so don't worry about that.
Otherwise, the FPs pre-booked due to the AP certificates being in your MDX account
will stay valid for use with your older tickets, once they are put into your MDX.

Last edited:
1. Yes.
2. You cannot "accidentally" activate an AP certificate, so don't worry about that.
Otherwise, the FPs pre-booked due to the AP certificates being in your MDX account
will stay valid for use with your older tickets, once they are put into your MDX.

Awesome, thanks Robo!

Oh, one more question (for now anyways... :) ). If, for some reason we plan a vacation for black out dates on the AP (which I don't see us doing anyway), will the system allow fp reservations during those times or will it know that I can't use those tickets?

I'm 'chatting' now and he's telling me that the vouchers are only good for 18 months from time of purchase and that I have to activate within that time in WDW.
EDITING THIS TO SAY THAT THIS WAS WRONG INFORMATION NOW - THIS WAS THE WAY IT WAS WHEN THE DVC APS STARTED BUT THE RULES HAVE CHANGED AND THIS CM GAVE ME WRONG INFO SO I CALLED BACK TO BE SURE. VOUCHERS DON'T EXPIRE NOW. Sorry to have misinformed people. :(

Last edited:
I'm 'chatting' now and he's telling me that the vouchers are only good for 18 months from time of purchase and that I have to activate within that time in WDW.

He says "Different ticket specials that come up will have different rules attached with when they will need to be activated in order to retain their value. While the current Annual Passes will need to be activated within 18 months in order to be used as is, you will not lose the money paid for the Annual Pass as if you do not activate it within 18 months then the credit for the Annual Pass can be used towards the purchase of another Annual Pass at that time."

I guess I'm not ordering annual passes today. Phew. Glad I found out before I spent the money.

You are not the first to be told that however there's nothing written out designating that on the website like has happened with any special AP offerings. The Gold AP is just an AP and not a "special". Others buying have reported when the voucher is loaded online it shows expiring in 2030.

With AP parking, do I have to be the driver? I will not be driving to the parks (another member of my party will...). I will obviously still be in the car, so would that be an issue?

You are not the first to be told that however there's nothing written out designating that on the website like has happened with any special AP offerings. The Gold AP is just an AP and not a "special". Others buying have reported when the voucher is loaded online it shows expiring in 2030.

Hm. I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll call Member Services. I don't see anything anywhere that says use in 18 months from purchase, either.

Another agent is now calling WDW guest services for me and is on hold :)

Yay! "Well the original policy was 18 months but that changed a few years ago. The vouchers do not expire now."

Last edited:
Quick FL Resident AP Renewal Question - if we renew our FL resident APs online, will we still need to show current proof of FL residency before being able to use our passes? If not, that may push us to renew now rather than buy a new AP in May. While we still have proof of residency, it did take a while for GR to issue our APs so it would be nice to bypass that step. Thank you.

Oh, one more question (for now anyways... :) ). If, for some reason we plan a vacation for black out dates on the AP (which I don't see us doing anyway), will the system allow fp reservations during those times or will it know that I can't use those tickets?

The system will not allow you to book FPs for days in which your AP is blacked out. Don't ask me how I know.....

Latest Ticket price increase was on Sunday, Feb. 11, 2018.
AP Prices also increased HERE.

"2018" CURRENT Prices
can be found on the WDW website HERE.
New tickets' expiration date: First use must be on or before December 31, 2019.

"2017" Prices (Feb. 12, 2017 thru Feb. 10, 2018)
archived Allears page HERE.

"2016" Prices (Feb. 28, 2016 thru Feb. 11, 2017)
from archived Allears page HERE.

The significance of the THREE unique price-level dates above will become clear only after more research about the 2018 increase.
I will be updating the 2018 UPGRADE info as I learn more.

Last edited:

"2018" CURRENT Prices

"2017" Prices (Feb. 12, 2017 thru Feb. 10, 2018) archived Allears page HERE.

The significance of the THREE unique price-level dates above will become clear only after more research about the 2018 increase.

Thanks for all of your hard work Robo! You have helped me so much over the years with all of your knowledge and have saved me a ton of money too!!!

"2018" CURRENT Prices

"2017" Prices (Feb. 12, 2017 thru Feb. 10, 2018) archived Allears page HERE.

Thank you Robo!! You are awesome for getting all this information. I'll be especially curious about the upgrading rules from MYW tickets since I'm pretty sure I'll still be better off upgrading next week than just getting tix for my upcoming stay(s).

1. Thank you Robo!! You are awesome for getting all this information.

2. I'll be especially curious about the upgrading rules from MYW tickets...

1. Thank you for the kind words, Dug!

2. Me, Too! ;)

I bit the bullet and bought passes from UCT last night. In our case it might have been better to wait. The increase on 7, 8, 9, and 10 day passes is only $5 and they expire December 31, 2019. Even though we plan to go in August I think I would have liked the wiggle room for the extra $5. Of course, no telling if discounters will raise their prices only $5 on the 7 and more day passes. I wish I'd waited until today to make my decision on our particular passes. I would have held off for the new tickets.

Just clarifying... hoppers Purchased as a part of a package don’t need to be used during that stay, correct? I know they expire, and I’m sure it’s covered somewhere and I can’t find it. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter