I see no reference to a guest being able to "upgrade" his own ticket.
(I don't think they'd want to give that option to guests.)

AFAIK, (and the article in question says as much) guests would still have to go to a ticket booth or Guest Relations with a photo ID in order to "activate" the AP
(make it ready to become "live" by going through a park gate.)
I don't see that much (if any) time would be saved.

If they are (at some future time) dropping the need to do that "in-person booth activation," that might save some time.
But (just like the new "get your RFID MYW ticket at the tap-style" situation,)
I don't trust it to reliably WORK.
I see a glitch stopping not only ONE guest in the morning entrance line,
but the rest of that long line behind the hapless guest with the problem ticket, as well.
Scary, kids!
To clarify,

We aren't asking about ACTIVATING the AP ..

We are asking about doing the initial purchase by upgrading existing, unused tickets. We are wondering if the new ability to purchase AP via MDE also gives you the option to upgrade tickets without a ticket booth. (as it appears the only way to upgrade to an AP was in-person).

So -- (the hope) -- .. just use MDE (or call) with existing unused tickets in your MDE account .. and just transform those tickets into an AP today for $xxx less (whatever the Disney value of those tickets are).

Then .. yes .. activate them (a much quicker process one would assume) at the ticket booth.

To clarify,

We aren't asking about ACTIVATING the AP ..

We are asking about doing the initial purchase by upgrading existing, unused tickets. We are wondering if the new ability to purchase AP via MDE also gives you the option to upgrade tickets without a ticket booth. (as it appears the only way to upgrade to an AP was in-person).

So -- (the hope) -- .. just use MDE (or call) with existing unused tickets in your MDE account .. and just transform those tickets into an AP today for $xxx less (whatever the Disney value of those tickets are).

Then .. yes .. activate them (a much quicker process one would assume) at the ticket booth.

I know.
And, I doubt that a guest would be able to upgrade an existing MYW ticket to AP without getting a CM involved.
Anything is possible, but I doubt that altering the type of ticket is something Disney would allow guests to do.
The correct process is very complex, that even many seasoned ticket CMs can't seem to get it right.
I don't know how many posters here keep up with the many "terrifyingly incorrect" ticket
upgrades that have been experienced by DISers who've encountered less-than-savvy ticket CMs.
What would happen if GUESTS were allowed to directly manipulate the upgrade process?
(Again, I'm not ruling out anything, but THIS area seems particularly non-guest-friendly.)

But, let's just say that one stage of the AP purchase process could be done by a guest.
(As the article in question states.)
Since an AP guest STILL needs to make a stop at Guest Relations to show proper legal ID to start the AP activation process,
the TIME savings (if any at all) would be very minimal, as the time that we are discussing is in relation to what it takes to reach the Guest Relations (or ticket) booth.

I know.
And, I doubt that a guest would be able to upgrade an existing MYW ticket to AP without getting a CM involved.
Anything is possible, but I doubt that altering the type of ticket is something Disney would allow guests to do.
The correct process is very complex, that even many seasoned ticket CMs can't seem to get it right.
I don't know how many posters here keep up with the many "terrifyingly incorrect" ticket
upgrades that have been experienced by DISers who've encountered less-than-savvy ticket CMs.
What would happen if GUESTS were allowed to directly manipulate the upgrade process?
(Again, I'm not ruling out anything, but THIS area seems particularly non-guest-friendly.)

But, let's just say that one stage of the AP purchase process could be done by a guest.
(As the article in question states.)
Since an AP guest STILL needs to make a stop at Guest Relations to show proper legal ID to start the AP activation process,
the TIME savings (if any at all) would be very minimal.

I just read before that when people go to the ticket booth to upgrade, sometimes the guest relations initially gets the cost messed up and you have to almost help them figure it out. Doing that part of it before hand from home may save time at the park, no? Then I guess the only hang up would be like you said, showing ID and activating the ticket. I dunno, just a thought.

1. I just read before that when people go to the ticket booth to upgrade, sometimes the guest relations initially gets the cost messed up and you have to almost help them figure it out.
2. Doing that part of it before hand from home may save time at the park, no?

3. Then I guess the only hang up would be like you said, showing ID and activating the ticket. I dunno, just a thought.

1. For sure. (Sadly.)

2. How would a guest know how to do an upgrade, anyway?
(And, I don't see anything that even hints that the guest could do ticket upgrades on MDX.)

3. The trip to the booth seems to be what some are complaining about.
(I've never had it take more than about 5 minutes, myself.)
But, from the article, that trip is still going to be necessary.

Last edited:

I just read before that when people go to the ticket booth to upgrade, sometimes the guest relations initially gets the cost messed up and you have to almost help them figure it out. Doing that part of it before hand from home may save time at the park, no? Then I guess the only hang up would be like you said, showing ID and activating the ticket. I dunno, just a thought.

Agree -- it feels like an upgrade process could take 30-45 minutes while an activation would simply take 5 minutes. The other reason (my reason) to want to do it beforehand remotely is to be able to take advantage of Annual Pass room discounts (if any exist) FOR the trip where you plan on activating it.

THE FAQ indicates that you can't do it online or phone, so I do doubt anything changed with this ability to buy them direct from the app.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/passholders/annual-pass-ticket-upgrade/
Upgrades from tickets to annual passes are not available online or via the phone at this time.

What I wonder is .. does Disney not have "ticket savvy" cast members available on the phone like they do right there in Orlando? I would think this is something I could easily do over the phone just like in-person. Both cast members will be using the same computer system (you'd think). I mean, I've had no issues making reservations, changing reservations and/or fixing issues with an MDE account over the phone. What makes upgrading a ticket so hard it has to be done in-person?

It seems simple. I have a MWY ticket that is worth $X. Deactivate that ticket, sell me an AP for $849 - $X. Charge my Credit card. Send me my paperwork. Done.

Debating on upgrading package tickets (Free Dining Bonus Back Package) to an Annual Pass. We are Canadian, so always pick up MBs at the resort. Wondering if we upgrade to an annual pass do we get MBs for being annual pass holders.

Debating on upgrading package tickets (Free Dining Bonus Back Package) to an Annual Pass. We are Canadian, so always pick up MBs at the resort. Wondering if we upgrade to an annual pass do we get MBs for being annual pass holders.

Yes and no. I'm Canadian and just bought an AP, so I've done a bunch of calling and emailing about this. :-)

Yes, you are entitled to get a MB with the AP, customized and mailed out after your first trip using the AP. The main difference with this band is an AP slider.

No, they won't ship it to a Canadian address.

No, you can't pick it up at the resort on a later (second) trip.

The last GS people I chatted with by email admitted they had absolutely no idea how we'd get the MBs, and suggested talking to GS at the parks when we activate our APs in May.

I have seen mention here that GS (and maybe a MB location in Liberty Square?) might have extra AP sliders. I'm going to check out that rumour on our May trip.

If you generally stay onsite, it's not really a big deal since you get MBs with your stay. Offsite, it's more than a little annoying. The only suggestion they've been able to give so far is to have the MBs sent to a US address. Huh. Thanks a lot.

Thanks ... this is what I figured, that it would be near impossible. I have family in the states, so maybe I will get them mailed there.

The other reason (my reason) to want to do it beforehand remotely is to be able to take advantage of Annual Pass room discounts (if any exist) FOR the trip where you plan on activating it.
I’m fairly certain you can take advantage of AP discounts on rooms before you get the AP. You would just be required to show an AP once you check into the hotel. And I believe you’d have to call in to book it.

Someone, @Robo @hiroMYhero correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m fairly certain you can take advantage of AP discounts on rooms before you get the AP. You would just be required to show an AP once you check into the hotel. And I believe you’d have to call in to book it.

Yes, you’re correct. :-) Proof of an activated AP needs to be shown at check-in so a “straight to room” arrival won’t be available.

@Robo will have more info.

1. Yes, you’re correct.
2. Proof of an activated AP needs to be shown at check-in so a “straight to room” arrival won’t be available.
1. Yup. No need to actually have the AP before check-in.
2. Actually, even that is not necessarily the case.
If a guest was asked to show an active AP, the guest would have at least 24 hours to show up at the desk with the AP.
But, many times, nobody ever asks to actually see the AP.
After all, the tickets that a guest has are in his MDX account/Disney computer file.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some reassurance that I will be able to add days onto my tickets purchased from Official Ticket Center. I called tonight to see how much they would charge me to make my ticket a 5 day hopper fro a 4 day hopper and the CM on the phone said he couldn't do it.
I know in the sticky you guys said it can be done so I'm just double checking! Also- its safe to assume that since I paid $404 for my 4-day and the current price 5-day is $480 I should be paying around $75 to add a day? Kind of stinks since it negates my whole goal of buying a ticket before the price increase. Wish I had bought more days!

thanks for any advice!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some reassurance that I will be able to add days onto my tickets purchased from Official Ticket Center.
1. I called tonight to see how much they would charge me to make my ticket a 5 day hopper fro a 4 day hopper and the CM on the phone said he couldn't do it.
2. I know in the sticky you guys said it can be done so I'm just double checking!
3. Also- its safe to assume that since I paid $404 for my 4-day and
4. the current price 5-day is $480 I should be paying around $75 to add a day?
Kind of stinks since it negates my whole goal of buying a ticket before the price increase. Wish I had bought more days!

1. Disney cannot upgrade a third-party ticket reseller/discounter ticket on the phone.
2. A ticket from an authorized WDW ticket reseller/discounter can be upgraded in-person at a WDW ticket booth or guest relations.
3. What YOU PAID the ticket reseller/discounter does not figure into the cost to upgrade.
But, it DOES matter WHEN you bought your discounted ticket.
Since you bought your current ticket before the last price increase it will cost you more to upgrade it.
The procedure to use to calculate the cost to Upgrade Tickets is found HERE.

4. The current Disney price of 5-day Hopper ticket is $470 ($500.55 w/tax)
The Disney pre-Feb. 11, 2018 price of 4-day Hopper ticket was $425 ($452.63 w/tax)
So:
$500.55 5-day Hopper (2018 WDW price)
-452.63 4-day Hopper (2017 WDW price)
= 47.92

So $47.92 is your cost to upgrade to 5-day Hopper at WDW.

(All prices include tax.)

Last edited:
1. Disney cannot upgrade a third-party ticket reseller/discounter ticket on the phone.
2. A ticket from an authorized WDW ticket reseller/discounter can be upgraded in-person at a WDW ticket booth or guest relations.
3. What YOU PAID the ticket reseller/discounter does not figure into the cost to upgrade.
But, it DOES matter WHEN you bought your discounted ticket.
Since you bought your current ticket before the last price increase it will cost you more to upgrade it.
The procedure to use to calculate the cost to Upgrade Tickets is found HERE.

4. The current Disney price of 5-day Hopper ticket is $470 ($500.55 w/tax)
The Disney pre-Feb. 11, 2018 price of 4-day Hopper ticket was $425 ($452.63 w/tax)
So:
$500.55 5-day Hopper (2018 WDW price)
-452.63 4-day Hopper (2017 WDW price)
= 47.92

So $47.92 is your cost to upgrade to 5-day Hopper at WDW.

(All prices include tax.)
Thank you Robo! Just 1 more clarification- in the sticky you mentioned Disney would set the price based on what they sold the ticket to the third party for (which is obviously less than the sticker price at the time). IS this not true? You think they will upgrade it using the difference between old sticker price and new?

Thank you Robo! Just 1 more clarification- in the sticky you mentioned Disney would set the price based on what they sold the ticket to the third party for (which is obviously less than the sticker price at the time). IS this not true? You think they will upgrade it using the difference between old sticker price and new?

If that's what you took from what I wrote, that is not correct.
The upgrade value of a third party ticket is not based on the WHOLESALE PRICE at which Disney sold the third party reseller the ticket.
The upgrade value is based on the FULL DISNEY PRICE on the DATE that Disney sold the third party reseller the ticket.

What I intended to say about this is that Disney cannot KNOW what the GUEST paid for the third-party ticket
(that price is up to the reseller to determine) but Disney only knows the WHOLESALE PRICE at which Disney sold the third party reseller the ticket.

That's why "price bridging" was put into place. It levels the playing field for all guests who bought
tickets from third party resellers when upgrade prices are calculated.

Well that is good to know. I guess time to keep an eye out for AP room discounts for November. I assume those can be applied if you already have a room booked?

I guess I am less worried about it now. I just will plan the time to go to Disney Springs on arrival day(which we tend to do anyway if we arrive before check-in) to take care of getting my 5 tickets upgraded to APs.

What's the best place to find out what the "Disney Value" of that ticket is? Just want to know exactly what my actual out-of-pocket upgrade price will be.

I have 2 adult and 1 child 5-day MYW tickets (no hopper) purchased from UT in early Feb. 2017 (before price increase and before tickets started having expiration dates).
The adult price was $349.59 (after tax). the child price I paid was $328.53.

I still may decide to hang onto these 5-day tickets (since they don't expire), but after Oct. 2019 I would need a ticket for my 2nd child anyway going forward. The thought of going to Walt Disney World for $69/day in the far future is sorta appealing (when you figure the price will be significantly more than that even in just a few years.).

Well that is good to know. I guess time to keep an eye out for AP room discounts for November.
1. I assume those can be applied if you already have a room booked?

2. I guess I am less worried about it now. I just will plan the time to go to Disney Springs on arrival day(which we tend to do anyway if we arrive before check-in) to take care of getting my 5 tickets upgraded to APs.

3. What's the best place to find out what the "Disney Value" of that ticket is? Just want to know exactly what my actual out-of-pocket upgrade price will be.

I have 2 adult and 1 child 5-day MYW tickets (no hopper) purchased from UT in early Feb. 2017 (before price increase and before tickets started having expiration dates).
4. The adult price was $349.59 (after tax). the child price I paid was $328.53.

1. That's not how it works.
To book an AP room, you'd simply book the NEWLY-LISTED AP room, and THEN cancel your original room.
2. That would work fine, but, again, you do NOT have to have the actual AP even to check into
an AP room. You just need to get the AP sometime in the first day, or so.
3. Everything you need to know is HERE in the Ticket Upgrade Cost Sticky.
4. What YOU PAID for discounted tickets does NOT affect the cost to upgrade.
The upgrade value is based on the FULL published DISNEY PRICE on the DATE that Disney sold the wholesale ticket the third party reseller.

Last edited:
1. That's not how it works. You'd simply book the NEWLY-LISTED AP room, and THEN cancel your original room.
Thanks. That's probably better/easier anyway.

And NVM my question about ticket prices .. I saw the link from your other post.

Looks like my 2016 issued tickets are worth $362.10 -- so about $12 more than I actually paid for them. Not bad. So only $547.09 to upgrade the Adult tickets to APs.

Your resort MBs likely will be sent a couple of weeks before your ON-SITE stay. Your AP MBs will not be sent until AFTER your first trip that you USE the new APs. So, no MBs for your off-site trip. You’ll use the plastic AP card for park entry, FP, etc.
Thank you! I might crack and buy a magicband while I'm there. The black and white bands aren't choices yet, guess this will be a good excuse to get one!

I hope I'm not asking a question that's been repeatedly asked, I read your posts but cant find this answer...

So let's say I purchase the 4 day hopper plus extra day! thru Undercover. Am I going to calculate what disney charges for a 5 day hopper or a 4 when calculating the bridge for AP? That extra day is what's got me unsure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter