• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tiny House

I think that the problem with the community I read about is that one group was accusing the other group of handling the whole composting thing incorrectly, which caused the problem. Composting toilets certainly sound like a better option an outhouse for a remote area, as long as you're willing to put the time into preventing problems.

Oh I get you, I didn't realize it was a community, I was thinking it was an issue between the family members.
I don't think I would want to live in a community of houses with composting toilets for that very reason LOL

I couldn't live in a tiny house. The house I live in now is small enough. I need space. I'd feel claustrophobic.

Yes! I'd love a follow up show.

I've thought they'd be a fun alternative to an RV. DH and I *think* we would enjoy a portable one for vacations, but I can't fathom living in it all the time. It just seems like it'd be more customizable and home-ier than an RV. And given how expensive RVs are, it might even be cheaper.
In-laws looked into RVs but after the price tags and the realistic aspect of things they opted for a 5th wheel.

Their 5th wheel is HUGE (I want to say it's around 44 feet long) but cost around 75K whereas the RVs they were looking at were running around 300K. Now they did upgrade their truck from an F150 to an F350 because they needed more manpower to haul the 5th wheel and that cost them around 85K but still an investment of ~160K. They use the 5th wheel quite often now for weekend trips but even then they've mentioned they've noticed younger people at the campgrounds they stay at, etc with RVs, with 5th Wheels, with trailers (that just hook to the hitch).

I don't know that they would get to the point of living in the 5th wheel but I do know in a few years they plan on taking month long or even several months long vacations. Their 5th wheel has a washer and dryer, full kitchen that has microwave, stove, oven, and full sized fridge plus an island (where the sink is), master bedroom, bathroom with decent enough shower size, living area that has the TV with 2 fold out couches plus another couch that has 2 reclining chairs in it and a kitchenette area with the table that has room for 4 chairs.

I think tiny homes have their niche area but I feel like to a lot of people it's the new "IT" thing to have. I too don't truly know how those families do these tiny homes and sometimes watching the episodes I'm thinking in my head that it seems selfish how these people want to cram by choice everyone in such a small place.

Sometimes they can be used for very good purposes such as building small communities for veterns or in places where you can have them what is refered to as mother-in-law homes (i.e. a small home put on the same land as your actual home), etc

Frankly, I do wonder about the smells in such a small area, partly from the toilet, partly from the kitchen (make something oniony and the whole house smells like onions), and for the people with babies, what about the diapers? And I just know, like someone else mentioned, when I get up to go to the bathroom at night, I'd fall from the loft down the ladder.

The cost just slays me. We built our last house as a "summer home" for our in laws, 900 sq ft, 3 bed, 1 bath, cozy, but lots of storage, stick built. Did a lot of the work ourselves, but only spent about 60K on it (including septic, electric, well, etc). It is actually a house you could *live* in (we did albeit unexpectedly for five years). Why would I want a "tiny" house compared to that?!?

Terri

Frankly, I do wonder about the smells in such a small area, partly from the toilet, partly from the kitchen (make something oniony and the whole house smells like onions), and for the people with babies, what about the diapers? And I just know, like someone else mentioned, when I get up to go to the bathroom at night, I'd fall from the loft down the ladder.

Thats the main thing I always think about when I watch these shows! How the heck do you go up and down the ladder in the middle of the night? no thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter