• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping - resort staff

If you tip bell services, why wouldn't you tip housekeeping? As of now, they make about the same amount of money hourly. Especially when they all go up to $15/hour, they will be making the same, but people will still tip bell services, but not housekeeping? Housekeeping by far is a much harder and nastier job.

I never said I wouldn't tip housekeeping, I just said I would rethink my tip. You assume to know what is in my mind, I assure you, you don't. I don't know how much bell services is paid, not sure how you know either. We all have choices in life, nobody made those who have chosen to in housekeeping do that job. It was their choice and I'm glad there are those who want to do that job. I appreciate a clean room...

I guess when and if the national minimum wage goes up to $15 per hour there won't be anymore tipping at restaurants. I'm guessing that the wait staff won't be to happy about that. I think if you work at a nice restaurant and are a good waiter/waitress you make much better than the projected minimum wage.

Last edited:
You can do what you want as far as tipping. I personally feel that even at $15/hour, that is not enough "compensation" to do the nasty job of a housekeeper. I don't care what Disney claims as their arbitrary tipped position. Housekeeping is the heart of any hotel. And I don't think that a few extra bucks handed to them is somehow making them rich and overpaid. The animosity that some have over giving a few extra bucks to these hard working people is crazy. As if they are affronted that they make over $6 and hour.

Wow pretty angry post. I don't think anyone is showing animosity about tipping just personal opinion. You however do seem to be showing animosity to those who don't share your point of view on the subject. :sad2:

Last edited:
Wow pretty angry post. I don't think anyone is showing animosity about tipping just personal opinion. You however do seem to be showing animosity to those who don't share your point of view on the subject. :sad2:

I don't like that people look down on hard working people in these industries and say to "just get a better job". Just because housekeepers make more then the few bucks that servers do, does not mean that they are in any way "paid enough". I find it strange that people have no issue with tipping bell service, or the person that delivers your room service, but not housekeeping. Just because someone labeled them as "not a tipped position". There people are doing intimate things for you, cleaning the toilet you used, changing the bed you slept on, but giving them a couple of bucks in appreciation is too much? I don't get it.

The nameless/faceless people cleaning rooms are easiest to stiff on tips. There is no pride/societal/peer pressure. No one knows if you are being generous or not - except for them. As a result many people don’t tip.

Yet I think people cleaning rooms oftentimes have a much harder job. Again personal choice, but keep that in mind if you are staying in a $400 to $1500 a night room. One less Mickey bar and you can show your appreciation to someone who needs the money; while you are vacationing. Lord knows if the room wasn’t clean you (me too) would show our lack of appreciation.

You can do what you want as far as tipping. I personally feel that even at $15/hour, that is not enough "compensation" to do the nasty job of a housekeeper. I don't care what Disney claims as their arbitrary tipped position. Housekeeping is the heart of any hotel. And I don't think that a few extra bucks handed to them is somehow making them rich and overpaid. The animosity that some have over giving a few extra bucks to these hard working people is crazy. As if they are affronted that they make over $6 and hour.
I don't like that people look down on hard working people in these industries and say to "just get a better job". Just because housekeepers make more then the few bucks that servers do, does not mean that they are in any way "paid enough". I find it strange that people have no issue with tipping bell service, or the person that delivers your room service, but not housekeeping. Just because someone labeled them as "not a tipped position". There people are doing intimate things for you, cleaning the toilet you used, changing the bed you slept on, but giving them a couple of bucks in appreciation is too much? I don't get it.
Looks like this thread is headed in the direction that all tipping threads eventually do. What's the over/under?
:stir:popcorn::

Who you are talking about is not me, I have always tipped housekeeping. I do appreciate a clean room, while I'm in that room I keep it nice a neat the way I keep my own home. I make my bed everyday because I don't like getting in a messy bed at the end of the day and the room looks so much better with a made bed. I do my dishes after each use and put them away. Yes the bathroom does need to be cleaned after we leave but that is just part of the job. Also the housekeeping staff wear rubber gloves so they don't actually have to touch the toilet with there bare hands. I agree it's not a job I would choose for myself but I sure am glad there are those who don't seem to mind doing the job.

Bell Services, Beverage and Food Servers and Valet Parking are the only tipped positions at WDW.

I always thought that housekeeping was part of the "tipping" class. I have always tipped housekeeping wherever we have stayed. Is there something in writing someplace that says housekeeping shouldn't be tipped?

The only piece that I wanted to add for those tipping at the end of their stay is that it's not always the same person who does the housekeeping work for all the days of your stay, and it typically isn't shared out among all who serviced your room.

For that reason, I switched over to providing something rather nominal each day.

I always thought that housekeeping was part of the "tipping" class. I have always tipped housekeeping wherever we have stayed. Is there something in writing someplace that says housekeeping shouldn't be tipped?
No, housekeeping is not a tipped position at WDW. They are paid at a different rate than the three tipped positions.

I didn't know that, as I said before we have always tipped housekeeping wherever we are.

FYI - We arrived at Vero Beach yesterday and we were able to bring our own luggage to our room. They have luggage carts in the garage below the units. Nice option, if you want bell services to help you that option is also available.

Really the issue is beyond tipping and more in line with the definition of a liveable wage, unfortunately the union and Disney settled on $15 an hour which simply might not be the reality for many of the CMs. But guests shouldn't feel obligated to tip the housekeeper anymore, though personally I will now let you know that for exceptional service (or an inconvenience to them, even if caused by their coworkers like when I was delivered a room with urine on the bed) and when I leave the room (though the housekeepers don't pull tips, but I don't stay long enough at one resort to get more than daily trash). As for the CMs who can't receive tips (for reasons) I always try and leave cast compliments at GS whenever service has been exceptional.

I've always thought that Minimum Wages were a bit of a red herring anyway. The problem with using things like Minimum Wage to address this is that it doesn't really actually help. What tends to happen is that hey, if Person A was getting $12 and is now getting $15 and Person B was already making $15, Person B tends not to stay at $15. They'll argue that they should go to $18 and on and on. So, what happens is that when things wash out, relatively speaking everyone is kind of where they were before because pricing of goods now has to reflect the new cost of labor.

At that point, some other politician will then say, no, the minimum wage now needs to go to $18 and the cycle will continue, wash, rinse, repeat...

Our daughter in law was a housekeeper at a Hampton Inn two years ago for about 9 months. (she's now a lab tech at a plasma center) She said only about 25% of guests left a tip. Mostly she got the cans a bottles left behind that she got the deposit on.

I was thinking about this on our past trip. We normally leave a tip with hotel stays, but at normal hotel stays we have our room cleaned, beds made, and towels replaced every day so there is a lot more work to tip for. With DVC we only got full housekeeping once on our trip.

Disney draws a lot of international travelers. Tipping is much, much more prevalent in the US (and has swung even further that way). Putting people in a position to rely on tips that pulls people from a lot of cultures that tip little, if at all, is problematic.

Last edited:
Tip or don't tip....its up to you. But, don't use the argument that somehow $15 is a living wage and you don't have to tip. Just don't tip if that's your choice, no need to justify it.

I know I couldn't live on $15 an hour and in general all labour positions are underpaid......so i tip....I am doing pretty good in my life and I have been truly blessed. Some people have not been, and are just trying to get by. If I can help out a bit by passing on some of my blessings, then that is my choice. I do not blame others for not doing so, just for justifying it with the whole $15 per hour argument.

I’m on the opposite side of the $15 conversation. We do tip, mousekeeping, Bell services, servers, Instacart.... I know $15 isn’t a living wage and mousekeeping is a dirty job but what about the Walmart employee who makes less than $11 an hour and has to clean the public restrooms. No tip for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter