Tips for building up stamina for your trip?

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
Ok guys,
yesterday we took our kids to their first ever theme park our "home park" even though it's 2 hours away is Canada's Wonderland in Vaughan Ontario.... it's pretty big.... nothing in Comparison to WDW but big enough... we were there open til close (arrived 915 for 10am rope drop and stayed til 10pm close)

we had a BLAST but I am absolutely dead today.... it's approaching noon here and I haven't gotten out of bed... could easily stay in bed alllll day...

I need advice on surviving a multi day Disney vacation!! I've built rest days into our trip but not until after 3 or 4 park days

help a first timer out!

You could start walking as much as possible (park far away, take the stairs, go to the gym, visit Wonderland again) but I don’t like training for my WDW vacation like it’s a marathon lol. I hit the parks almost every day but plan for sit down meals (lunch and dinner in a/c), pool breaks if the weather is good, and indoor rides that are relaxing. I slept great our first trip. That level of “Disney tired” felt so nice.

Make sure you have comfortable shoes that won’t cause blisters even when it rains. Not sure how old your kids are but consider if strollers are required.

Not sure how old your kids are but consider if strollers are required
they will be 6&8 I have already rented a stroller from Kingdom Strollers it will be a life saver, we took our collapsible wagon to Wonderland but of course those aren't allowed at Disney...not to mention lugging it on the plane lol

I'm always amazed at how little people walk in their day to day life and then go to a Disney park and expect to walk 5 miles a day multiple days in a row in high temperatures

Im just back from Disneyland California, I averaged 6 miles a day, 15,000 steps per day.
I had a coffee in the morning and a coffee in the afternoon.
I took an over the counter pain killer about 3pm.
I wore comfortable worn in sneakers and socks.
Every night when I got back to my hotel, no matter how late, I had a bath / foot soak. It was the first thing I did every night. Opened the door to my room, put my bag down and run the bath. I also use a metal foot file to give my feet a good massage. I then take another over the counter pain killer before I go to sleep.

I walk a lot in my day to day life as I don't drive. Just simple things like going to work, going to the mall and going to the bank in one day I can clock up over 10,000 steps/ nearly 5 miles.

I agree: stroller and daily walks before the trip. Even with all that and being in the best of shape, it can be exhausting. Especially in the heat. We just make sure to take frequent breaks (including air conditioned shows that typically have little waits). We also do at least one sit down meal a day to rest and I try to schedule it for when I know we’ll be getting tired. Also dont try to run around too much on your off days, let your body recuperate. Just listen to your body. And FWIW I always wear sketcher air walks on my trips and I’ve never gotten a blister or sore feet. My kids make fun of them but I’m always the only one without a blister by the end of the trip.

Walk. Walk. Then walk some more. As everyone said above, make sure you are breaking in your shoes or wearing old, well worn sneakers. If you have the time, also try and acclimate to a proper Disney schedule as well; up super early for rope drop, back to resort for pool/lunch/naps in late AM or early afternoon, and reasonably late bedtimes. Lastly, if your resort has a spa/hot tub, use it every day as it really helps tired feet/legs/back from all the walking. Have fun.

Walk. Walk. Then walk some more. As everyone said above, make sure you are breaking in your shoes or wearing old, well worn sneakers. If you have the time, also try and acclimate to a proper Disney schedule as well; up super early for rope drop, back to resort for pool/lunch/naps in late AM or early afternoon, and reasonably late bedtimes. Lastly, if your resort has a spa/hot tub, use it every day as it really helps tired feet/legs/back from all the walking. Have fun.
I work shift work including days overnights and evenings so it's pretty much impossible for me to develop any type of set routine..... but combining shift work with raising tiny humans has made me very good at existing on no sleep

I'm always amazed at how little people walk in their day to day life and then go to a Disney park and expect to walk 5 miles a day multiple days in a row in high temperatures

Im just back from Disneyland California, I averaged 6 miles a day, 15,000 steps per day.
I had a coffee in the morning and a coffee in the afternoon.
I took an over the counter pain killer about 3pm.
I wore comfortable worn in sneakers and socks.
Every night when I got back to my hotel, no matter how late, I had a bath / foot soak. It was the first thing I did every night. Opened the door to my room, put my bag down and run the bath. I also use a metal foot file to give my feet a good massage. I then take another over the counter pain killer before I go to sleep.

I walk a lot in my day to day life as I don't drive. Just simple things like going to work, going to the mall and going to the bank in one day I can clock up over 10,000 steps/ nearly 5 miles.
we hit 17,000 steps yesterday so definitely a lot of walking!! unfortunately we live kind of in between two towns off a highway not within walking distance to anything but both towns have lots of walking trails and we got a puppy a few months ago so I've got an opportunity to get lots of walks in!
at my former job in a nursing home I was on my feet constantly, now I work in a residential hospice which is much smaller and involves a lot of sitting and providing companionship, so not as much opportunity for exercise

Ok guys,
yesterday we took our kids to their first ever theme park our "home park" even though it's 2 hours away is Canada's Wonderland in Vaughan Ontario.... it's pretty big.... nothing in Comparison to WDW but big enough... we were there open til close (arrived 915 for 10am rope drop and stayed til 10pm close)

we had a BLAST but I am absolutely dead today.... it's approaching noon here and I haven't gotten out of bed... could easily stay in bed alllll day...

I need advice on surviving a multi day Disney vacation!! I've built rest days into our trip but not until after 3 or 4 park days

help a first timer out!
When is your trip?

I agree with all the above. I used to start a dedicated walking schedule weeks before a trip. It did help, BUT I don't think any amount of "training" will completely help. It will help some, but be prepared to be very tired with sore feet, even with the precautions named above. I find that I take rest periods and people watch for a while. We don't run from attraction to attraction anymore, so it's easy to rest. We eat one meal a day at a sit down restaurant. We also go back to the resort and rest for a couple of hours which helps us recharge and able to have fun in the afternoon or evening with less aching. Have a great time.

I'm 40 days out, and I'm taking every opportunity to walk every day. There's absolutely no way I'll get as much walking in as I'll do in the parks, but it will help.

Ok guys,

help a first timer out!
Do you workout at all now? If not, then you need to be walking daily. Start with just a few miles each day and make sure you're wearing the shoes you'd likely wear around WDW. Do not get new shoes for disney that have not been broken in.

We average about 15-20k steps most trips since we usually stay at an epcot area resort and walk to DHS/Epcot. We exercise daily and I still feel like disney is tiring especially in the summer.

Keep in mind it's just the steps that are going to get you, it's the standing. I go more than once a year, work out at least 3 to 4 days a week and WDW can still get me. Like another poster, I always take a preventative pain killer in the morning, for me Aleve. Then I might take another when I go back to the resort mid-after for a pool/rest break and another before I go to bed. I try to stay at moderate or deluxe resorts because - hot tub. A lot of the rooms now days don't have bath tubs, just showers so a hot tub is a must. This might sound silly but I also travel with a heating pad. While my feet do sometimes hurt, for me it's the neck and shoulders and back. Of course, I'm no spring chicken any more - 65 so that doesn't help. Take any opportunity you can to sit down, even if just for a minute or two. Oh, an know you can't do it all so don't even try.

A lot also depends on your age and current level of physical fitness. There isn't any magical way to prepare for Disney if you aren't already quite active/walk a lot/etc. It takes months/years to get in shape if that isn't something you are currently doing. Disney parks can involve MILES of walking and typically it is hot/humid also.

Ok guys,

help a first timer out!

I agree with all the other "start walking early as much as you can" posts.

My biggest tip is:

Skip all foods with gluten and yeast if you can in the days leading up to your trip. It will help keep down inflammation and you won't ache as much that first day. That being said, even I (who is yeast/gluten/soy/dairy free) cheat and have DL/WDW churros and corndogs during our trips. I always feel tons better when I don't - but the healthier you eat during your trip, the better you'll feel.

At my age, walking is the only exercise I can do. I begin with a goal of 4,000 steps per day and gradually increase my step count until I can comfortably walk 10,000 steps per day. I then maintain this goal of 10,000 steps per day, or increase it slightly if I am able. On weekends, I sometimes ride my bicycle instead of walking, if the weather is good.

For some reason, I guess my adrenaline keeps me going when I'm at Disney, and we go park open to close. But when I get home, I'm dead for a few days. We always plan to get home at least 2 or more days before we have to go back to work/school to give us time to recover!

Our family walked around our neighborhood “block”. First it was the two of us, than a stroller, than a bike and stroller, then two bikes and stroller, then…you get the idea.
DW, me and our three kids grew up and were accustomed (some nights begrudgingly 😂) to walking.

Even with that, we made a point on WDW vacations to take break (nap and pool) mid-day.

Pacing is needed and should be considered for each member of a WDW vaca so all can enjoy and minimize the melt-downs that will happen (even a little).

Have a great time!

Ok guys,

help a first timer out!
Some great advice I got years ago... don't wear the same shoes every day. Even great shoes hit your feet in specific places/ways and can cause blisters after 20,000 steps a day for a week. So switch between two or three pairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter