Tips to beat the heat in May?

Biddler

Mouseketeer
My husband surprised us with a trip in May. We have gone in Nov. and Dec. We have a 1 yr old DD and a 4 yr old DS. We are bringing 2 strollers. I am just wondering any expert advice on beating the May heat. Thanks for all your help :)

Water cannot be emphasized enough, especially if you live in a much cooler climate. Make sure the kids have water containers at their sides at all times, and remind them to drink. Also, carry pieces of cloth that may be wet down and applied to pulse points for quick cooling. Lots of folks put a washcloth in a ziploc for this, but I prefer a flat cloth diaper, as it is thin enough to let air through, but also large and flexible enough to tie around the neck when wet.

Good sunscreen will help skin feel cooler, as part of the feeling of being hot is the "frying pan" feeling of your skin gently being cooked by UV rays. I recommend using sprays for most of the body, because they are quick to reapply often, and wax sticks for faces and ears, because the wax won't run into little eyes, and the stick is fun to use. Reapply at LEAST once an hour. (We reapply every time we stand in a ride line.)

Wear light-colored clothing whenever possible; it reflects heat rather than absorbing it. Also get broad-brimmed hats and sunglasses, and wear them all the time when outdoors. Make sure that your stroller has some sort of sunshade on it. Definitely bring surf shoes or waterproof sandals for everyone; the concrete in pool areas may be hot enough to burn, and with kids it is just easier to leave them in surf shoes at all times in those areas.

Try to plan your days so that you are out of the sun during the hottest part of the day, from about noon to 4 pm. We always go back to the resort for a swim and siesta during that time.

Heat-related illnesses are very serious business, make sure you know how to recognize them. Here is the CDC's page on heat illness. Please note the signs, as children won't always tell you when they are beginning to experience any of these, and especially not when they are excited: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/hsb/extremeheat/FAQs.htm

PS: I can't believe I forgot to mention mister-bottle fans. These help immensely, but make sure you get the sort with a large hole for ice. They sell them at the parks, but they are *much* cheaper offsite. Bed, Bath & Beyond nearly always has them in stock, even if you don't live in Florida.

Hi - We have been in May and really didn't feel uncomfortable. The temperature was usually in the 80's with reasonable humidity. It is a pleasant time of year, and using the above advice and common sense will keep it enjoyable. Sandie

Also make sure to take advantage of the air conditioning. Whenever we stop to take a little rest, or drink, we always sit indoors. The outdoor benches and tables are tempting, but the AC always lures us indoors. We have found that its actually a great way to boost your energy- that may have been zapped by the heat.

:) :D

Just a couple of things to add:

We always put a facecloth in a ziploc bag with some ice cubes in the am. The ice melts quickly and keep the cloth cool for wiping down faces or hands during the day.

I totally agree with the sunscreen advice above and just give a reminder to apply to feet if you children are wearing sandals or open footwear of any kind.

Try to think now of the most comfortable shoes that your children wear. They really do need to be broken in before the trip whether they are sneakers, sandals or water shoes. Just remember that most regular surf type shoes don't offer a lot of support if your children do any walking for a bit. DS likes his Nike Sunray sport sandals-they are like Neoprene and dry off really quick. But he doesn't wear them for long in WDW because they are more for the water than regular walking--like surf shoes.

The mister fans can be found for pretty cheap--I got ours last year in WalMart for 4.97.

When you are in Epcot you can look for the play area with the water fou tains squirting up and they have another of these at the Marketplace end of DtD. The kids love to play in those and get wet so be prepared with a change of clothing.

HTH!

I agree with Sandie, we went in May and didn't find it too hot - it was lovely and warm but not unpleasant, and believe me, we are not used to the heat :)

My dd loved playing in those water fountains - pack a change of clothes so you can just let them get wet without worrying about it. A towel isn't a bad idea too! We ended up buying a Mickey one - I remembered the clothes but not the towel!

We went last May and the temps were much hotter than normal, it was in the mid-90s, hot!! We took dd to the parks when they opened in the mornings, did the rides and /or shows we really wanted to, had lunch and would then head back to our resort and got into the pool. We even had lunch one day at the pool (the Dolphin's Cabana grill)...then by 2:30-3 dd took a nice nap. Headed to dinner after and then a few more hours at a park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter