To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

So awesome

So cool!!!

Thanks! When we showed G the video she screamed louder than I've heard anyone scream before. LOL!

In other news, my Wahoo Kickr bike trainer finally shipped! Should be here on Saturday and hopefully, I can start to ratchet my workouts up a notch. My ankle is definitely feeling much better with all the time off from running. I've also started doing 21 Day Fix with Steph and after that is finished, we'll probably start 80 Day Obsession (she just wrapped that up about a week ago).

I took my bike into Erik's Bike shop on Friday and got it fitted for me. I also picked up a set of Shimano 105 pedals to match the shoes I was given by my UIL (three holes, whereas the pedals on the bike were two holes). Then, on Saturday night the Wahoo Kickr Core arrived. On Sunday, my UIL came over and helped me set the bike up. I took it for a spin on Zwift to make sure everything felt right. I performed a spin down in the Wahoo app and in Zwift. Then downloaded Trainer Road to go ahead and get started with an FTP Test (which was called their Ramp Test). I informed the app my weight (169, which is 12 pounds heavier than a year ago) and then told it I was a "mid-pack" rider which it then estimated my FTP at 150. I decided just purely based on the few minutes in Zwift that it felt a little low and went in and just manually changed it to 200.

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 2.50.58 PM.png

The test consisted of a few minutes at an easy pace (which I added an additional WU workout prior to this just to get everything flowing). Then proceeded to build in intensity in one-minute intervals. The low level effort watts was relatively close to what I had been doing the last couple of weeks (HR was similar per my Garmin as well as what it felt like, haven't found my charging cable for my Schosche arm band yet). When I got around my estimated FTP of 200 is when my HR was around 135-140 which was slightly lower than where my FTP HR was back in March. Then the test proceeded all the way up to 283 watts which for the last minute or so I was right around a HR of 165-170 and barely holding on. By the end of the last one-minute interval I tapped out, content with the effort and really exhausted. The test gave me a new FTP of 213 (or 2.8 watts/kg). This seems relatively reasonable to me and I'm sure getting back in shape will only help improve this number.

Only minutes after finishing this workout to exhaustion, Steph had me back out there completing the "Dirty 30" of 21 Day Fix.

Moving forward, I've added the Sweet Spot Base Mid-Level 6 week training plan to my Trainer Road calendar. It'll be 5 days per week with 5.5-6.5 hours per week. We'll see if I ride Zwift on the 6th day for fun. I'll also be continuing the 21 Day Fix workouts with Steph (30 min each) and then when that concludes, we're moving into 80 Day Obsession (her second go around) which will be 60 min a day. So once 80-Day and this biking get into full swing, I'd venture to guess the training load will start to get up there. We'll see how everything goes, but that's the plan for the time being. Excited to get back into a regimented routine and continuing to try and improve. The goal is to get back to running sometime in Feb/March, but we'll see how everything proceeds.

Those Sweet Spot plans in Trainer Road are great. I just finished the high volume Sweet Spot Triathlon base plan and am now moving into build.

Also check out the "Crunch Time" plans in the Enthusiast section - they're great workouts for when you want to double up or need to get a workout in without a larger time commitment.

Those Sweet Spot plans in Trainer Road are great. I just finished the high volume Sweet Spot Triathlon base plan and am now moving into build.

Also check out the "Crunch Time" plans in the Enthusiast section - they're great workouts for when you want to double up or need to get a workout in without a larger time commitment.

Fun! Thanks for the tip!

Yay! I love that you both are doing the fix! My fav! It’s fun to discover those muscles that you don’t necessarily feel with running! :D

Yay! I love that you both are doing the fix! My fav! It’s fun to discover those muscles that you don’t necessarily feel with running! :D

If it helps motivate her, then I'm there. But I'm not so sure about the fun to discover muscles part... o_O

Thus far I've been holding my own. But might need to step up from my 2 pound weights. I kid... I kid...

Sweet Spot Base - Mid Volume Phase 1 - Week 1

11/26/18 - M - OFF
11/27/18 - T - Carter (45 min; 34 TSS)
11/28/18 - W - OFF
11/29/18 - R - Taku (30 min; 19 TSS)
11/30/18 - F - Mount Field (60 min; 61 TSS)
12/1/18 - Sa - 21df + Reinstein (90 min; 99 TSS)
12/2/18 - Su - Glassy (80 min; 81 TSS) + 21df

Total Training Time - 6:13 hours
Total Biking TSS - 294 TSS

TSS = Total Stress Score. Simply put, a method to analytically support the difficulty of a workout. A TSS for person A is roughly equivalent to person B regardless of the fitness difference between them. Very similar to how I explain the concept of duration x relative current fitness pacing being more meaningful to fitness gains than actual mileage.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/what-is-tss/

Monday - OFF. 21 day fix didn't happen because Steph was going to have an extremely tough week at work. So we were postponed on doing 21 day fix until her work schedule even'd out more.

Tuesday - My first bike ride using ERG mode on my new Wahoo Kickr Core trainer. ERG mode is when the trainer controls the wattage output. So essentially, if I'm suppose to do 70% FTP wattage (150 watts) then the trainer sets the output to 150 watts. If I pedal slower or faster (change my cadence), it doesn't matter. The trainer will just make the wattage the same regardless. So you can't escape completing the workout as designed except for bailing on it completely. Relatively speaking, this workout was easy. The TSS was low (34) and the %FTP hovered around 70% for the majority of the workout. A similar TSS run was a 5 miler (43 min) at a relatively easy pace. After a few weeks with the new bike, I decided I can't wear my running shorts comfortably. So I've been using my running tights instead. They're meant for temps in the -30 to 20 F range, but thus far it hasn't caused an issue.

Wednesday - Late Tuesday night I got an email that my new TV was to be shipped on Wednesday. I had to sign for it when it arrived so I took the day off and just waited. And waited. And waited. Finally it arrived and my FIL came over to help me set it up. I didn't finish setting everything up until 10:30pm, so I decided to skip the workout and move it to Thursday instead.

Thursday - Another easy ride. Just 30 min long and a 19 TSS which is quite low (like a 2.5 mile/22 min run). I've got this. No biggy. Even thought maybe I should add in some more training because it was so easy, but decided to wait to see how the rest of the week played out.

Friday - The effort was up a touch, maybe a medium level effort. It was a 3 x 12 min interval session at 85% FTP (so like a M Tempo/HM Tempo run). It included some periods of time where I was suppose to get up out of the bike seat and do some standing biking. Man that was tough. I'd say the hardest part was that I couldn't get a consistent/fluid pedal cadence as it just seemed so herky/jerky. But I'm sure that's something that will improve and become more normal. From a TSS standpoint, similar to a 60 min easy running day.

Saturday - Steph was off and her schedule looks to be back to normal moving forward. So we restarted on the 21 day fix in advance of us starting 80 day obsession. Most of the workouts are 30 min and involve some sequence of aerobic/weights/yoga mat. Not too bad. Alright, after that I moved into the 90 min Reinstein workout. HOLY ****! This workout was intense. All the bike training sessions before this, I was like yea, I got this. But this one really really pushed me. 90 min with a 3 x 12 min interval session where the pace goes just below and just above FTP (or similar to the LT workouts for running). This workout really pushed me and my HR was sky high on this one. I even had to stop for a very short break twice during the end of the workout just to keep my legs from falling off. This was the moment I realized this training plan wasn't going to be a joke and it was going to push me to the edge. Buckle up. I'm sure it didn't help to have a 30+ min strength session immediately proceeding it that tired my legs out on its own. But the key thing is, I survived. A 99 TSS would be equivalent to a 90 min LR or a 90 min T pace run with 30 total min at T. Not quite up to the level of some really hard running events, but I think a key difference with a workout like this on the bike is you literally get almost zero breaks to your muscles since the ERG forces you to hit the scheduled wattage at nearly every moment. This ride also reinforced that I'll need to get some shorter biking shorts. These running tights were literally burning me up with how hot I was getting towards the end. I guess if I wanted to add another layer of difficulty to the training (like Heat Acclimation Training), then I'm being successful in that aspect.

Sunday - The mindset had changed now. This training plan will challenge me and I need to take it seriously. Attack the intervals before they attack me. Thankfully this workout was a step back at a TSS of 81 and 80 min. Most of the time was spent around 80% FTP with 4 x 15 min intervals. It was certainly a challenge, but not nearly as much as Saturday's workout. I also did the bike workout before doing the 21 day fix workout with Steph. The 81 TSS was similar to a 90 min EB run. Afterwards, Steph and I did the Dirty 30 workout. Survived my first week of ERG biking with some 21 day fix thrown in.

I've settled on the following schedule moving forward:

SSBase-MV1 (Biking) is from 11/27/18 to 1/6/19.
SSBase-MV2 (Biking) is from 1/8/19 to 2/17/19.

21 Day Fix is from 11/17/18 to 12/15/18.
80 Day Obsession is from 12/16/18 to 3/17/19.

Running is scheduled to resume on 2/18/19 in conjunction with maintaining some biking routine. Initially, I'm thinking 3 days running, 3 days biking, and 7 days strength through 3/17/19.

The biggest issue will be the time commitment. 21 Day fix is mostly 30 min workouts. 80 Day Obsession is mostly 60 min workouts. And the SSBase-MV1 and 2 is between 5.5-6.5 hours per week. So I could be putting in nearly 10-13 hours of training per week once we really get into the meat of it. So we'll see if that's actually sustainable. But I want to do everything possible to put myself in a position to succeed when I can return to running.

Also, some pics from the new house!

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 5.18.31 PM.png

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

LOVE the house. It looks wonderful and your bike training space is perfect.

Thanks! The workout room has been a really nice bonus. Enough space for the bike and for Steph and I to do the strength workouts. When the time comes to get a treadmill, we think we'll just expand the space and make it into a bigger exercise room.

But why is our little Princess G scowling? :)

Just being a goof. We were working on expressions on our faces earlier in the day. Happy, sad, mad, laughing, silly, etc. Tried helping her with her eyebrow expression. We had headshots later that afternoon, but we haven't gotten them back yet. But she decided to go with a quasi-sad/smile face for this picture.

I love the house photos, it really looks great

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter