• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toddler Mask Wearing Tips?

Ok, we might just have to take him out to stores when its not super busy and expose him to more people in masks/offer him a mask to wear. Try to get him to wear it for a little bit. Persistence is the key right?

Do you remember what type of practice you did with your son? Was he okay with the mask on his face right from his beginning? I got mine two types (disposable w/ ear elastics and cloth over the head) and so far, not getting much success.
We played doctor, put a mask in his play doctor kit, watched some Daniel Tiger that I think addressed it in an episode. My wife suggested pretend play where you're getting on line for a ride and you have to put your mask on etc.

I've flown with my daughter (now 3.5) multiple times during pandemic. It's hard. I've found that she actually prefers the kid sized surgical masks because I can puff them up away from her face, but they are still tight around the perimeter.

When my daughter was that age, she always wanted to walk rather than ride in the cart at stores. So I'd let her choose to either wear her mask and walk or not wear it and ride in the cart. Same basic concept as other suggestions here.

Only other thing I would add is try your best and stay calm - kids can smell fear and insecurity. My experience (all pre-omicron) has been that if you make a real, concerted effort to keep that mask on, people are pretty understanding. That's not an excuse at all to let wearing one slide. It is very important, but anyone that has kids knows that you don't always have control over every single action. If you continue what you're doing to make mask wearing normal for him, you'll be able to keep putting in on or pulling it up or whatever you need to do while traveling.

You can do this momma!

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement everyone!

Today's Baby Steps:
After work, I took him to Target to grab a few things and bought his masks along. I asked him to pick which one he wanted to wear...he didn't choose any so I just picked one. As we entered, I made a huge thing about how we have to wear masks when we entered into stores to protect ourselves and other people around us. Pointed out all the people around us that had masks on especially the little kids that did. Several points around the store, he would look at/hold products we were buying and I would attempt to put his mask on then. Longest was probably 2 seconds before he ripped it off. I didn't try to be too hard on him since today's field trip goal was to introduce the idea that he is going to have to wear a mask like everyone else when we are in public spaces.

At home, I found a few videos about wearing masks that I showed up and pointed out all the masks. He really liked the POV video of the Barnstormer so I kept saying that is was at Mickey's house and he wanted to go on it in April, he needed to wear his mask. He's two years and two months old...he understands a good amount of things that we tell him but I'm not sure if he's really connecting the dots here. He has only started to talk (words...not really phrases) so not really able to express himself well. Still I'm going to try. I really liked the video I found that read the Elmo mask book. He seemed to enjoy listening to the story.

We kicked his pacifier habit once he turned 1 since we didn't want to deal with toddler tantrums about it so we won't be able to sew one into a mask. He probably would've loved that lol. He's never had candy so I'm not sure what to do here. We're not going until the end of April so I'm crossing my fingers that we can convince him that it's something he wants to do if we are consistent with him.

We kicked his pacifier habit once he turned 1 since we didn't want to deal with toddler tantrums about it so we won't be able to sew one into a mask. He probably would've loved that lol. He's never had candy so I'm not sure what to do here. We're not going until the end of April so I'm crossing my fingers that we can convince him that it's something he wants to do if we are consistent with him.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing about your progress. My son is stubborn as hell and has hated anything on his head since he was an infant and realized he could take off hats. He knows what masks are and pointed at ours and said "mask." We used that as our opening to give one to him. He liked holding it but ripped it off as soon as I put it on. We keep trying. He loves the Nemo ride so we told him he can't go on if he doesn't wear the mask. He's super smart and talks a lot but he just doesn't get bribes yet. I refuse to force one on him, not because I have an issue with him wearing one, but I don't want him to rebel even more, you know?

We drive, so we didn't have to worry about planes, but shortly before our trip when daughter was 2.5, we started telling her when we were out (Not that we went to many places, and she didn't go to daycare) that she had to wear a mask to go to Mickey's house. In our case, it helped that she had seen big brother wearing a mask before. She ended up doing remarkably well, except for when she got tired (I'd give her a snack then...this was in April when masks had to be worn everywhere indoors and out, except for when taking pictures or eating/drinking). We made our plans flexible though, going to Disney Springs before any parks to see how she'd do) and were prepared to change plans and go to Universal (where mask requirement started at age 3) or Legoland (at the time, mask requirement started at age 11, now is "recommended"). But she surprised us.

Best thing for us was planning around her schedule (when she'd be most agreeable), getting masks that fit well (Just Play disposables in the age 2 to 7 kind worked best for us), and getting her around other kids wearing masks.

I refuse to force one on him, not because I have an issue with him wearing one, but I don't want him to rebel even more, you know?
I totally get it. I think that is why I'm struggling internally a little bit too. Crossing my fingers that one day he will just do it.

Best thing for us was planning around her schedule (when she'd be most agreeable), getting masks that fit well (Just Play disposables in the age 2 to 7 kind worked best for us), and getting her around other kids wearing masks.
Thanks for the suggestions. I just went and got a box of the Just play masks to try. Currently I'm using the Dr. Talbots (2-5years) disposable masks but maybe he's not feeling the designs on them. I'm going to have to show him Paw Patrol and hope he likes them lol since that is the design we went with.

Try a KF94 small child’s mask. My kids find them more comfortable because they sit farther from the face. Tell him he’s a big boy now and gets to wear a mask and take him places where he can wear it while you wear your mask as an example. Use lots of positive reinforcement and maybe some bribes.

You can’t force a toddler to wear a mask.
I refuse to force one on him
And yet, somehow, we do "force" our kids to wear pants and shirts and shoes in public, or a jacket outdoors, etc. Almost every parent has been there/done that with a toddler who doesn't like to wear ____ (fill in the blank). It just takes patience and practice and firm consistent rules -- we won't go if you don't wear it, we will leave the store if you don't put it back on, etc. Toddlers take their cues from the adults around them, and if they sense any hesitancy to enforce a rule they jump right into that loophole.

It could be a sensory thing with him . I second the kf94. My son has some sensory issues and it’s the ones he prefers the most. Honestly my husband and I too lol.

My parenting philosophy is bribing is ok when it’s really needed. To me, this is a situation where I would allow myself to dangle a carrot. I know he doesn’t eat candy yet, but is there something else he loves that you only allow once in awhile? If he wears it for 30 seconds, he gets a little. You can set a timer up as well so he can watch the countdown. You can demonstrate once or twice too.

And yet, somehow, we do "force" our kids to wear pants and shirts and shoes in public, or a jacket outdoors, etc. Almost every parent has been there/done that with a toddler who doesn't like to wear ____ (fill in the blank). It just takes patience and practice and firm consistent rules -- we won't go if you don't wear it, we will leave the store if you don't put it back on, etc. Toddlers take their cues from the adults around them, and if they sense any hesitancy to enforce a rule they jump right into that loophole.

Trust me, I WANT him to wear a mask. That's his only protection since he's not vaccinated. But he turned two in December and does not understand "we don't go if you don't wear it" yet. And frankly, after two years of parenting an infant and then a toddler during a pandemic, the last thing I have energy for is fighting with him to wear a mask at Disney. We just stay outside for now.

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement everyone!

Rewarding him for the mask being on is definitely going to be key here and connecting wearing a mask with having fun, too. Does he like music and dancing around? Does he like bubbles or stickers? I'd say mini m&m's are a good 'bribe' for this type of thing but since he doesn't eat candy maybe use another little thing he loves. Wear your own mask for this fun time. Put on your mask and then blow some bubbles or give yourself a sticker (or something else he will love). Then say oh do you want a turn and put his mask on for a second. Then give him the fun reward. Dance around listening to music or whatever fun game he likes. After awhile he will associate seeing your mask and or his mask with having super cool fun. After he becomes less resistant to the mask then try it outside of the fun situation.

My daughter started wearing masks but she’s not in day care yet and we don’t go out enough where she’s used to wear it. She wouldn’t wear one at all when she first turned 2 and one day something randomly clicked after months of trying. But we find she only wears it when she’s going to do something fun like play in the playground outside or taking a walk. We have a trip in Feb and are nervous since she’s so hot and cold. I really want her to wear one in the airport and plane that’s my main concern. If we’re at parks and she’s getting fussy with it we would just try to stick with outdoor rides. You def can’t force your kid to wear it as that will make them more upset and fearful. I would wear masks at home and be like ooh look at what mommy and daddy are wearing. Or we would put it on one of her dolls or stuffed animals. Then we would try on her and honestly even the first time she wore it for a few seconds we considered that a win. It’s really about trying to make it fun. Dont get mad when they rip it off. Really try to not show anything negative while you are trying. And consistency is def key

I’m in the same situation. Toddler turned 2 in Nov (can keep mask on 15-45 mins so far) and we have a trip booked for Spring break. We’ve been 3 times during the pandemic. Everyone else will be vaccinated and/or boosted.

Our 5 year old uses Gap’s masks which are now discontinued (tiger print; Why?). The cub coats are soft but I feel the Gap ones were better

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B087HNDMBP?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I’ve been watching videos and a lot of posts about 2 year olds getting kicked off of flights popped up. Naturally I stressed myself out and cleared out the remaining chips ahoy.

I found a mask with a pacifier. Our kid never took a pacifier but she does use her fingers as a soother/pacifier before naps.

https://www.amazon.com/Achooey-Paci...643745305&sprefix=pacifier+mask,aps,96&sr=8-3

This mom has a great tip about sewing a mask, but you need to remove the hoodie to go through TSA. I’m thinking I should put 2 buttons inside the hoodie to attach the mask so it can be removed. I think the ear loops hurt after a while so this truck might work?

Then there are ski masks with face masks sewn in (I’m sure these are not acceptable)

https://www.amazon.com/FCY-Balaclav...+with+hoodie,aps,89&sr=8-23&wIndexMainSlot=32
This video was helpful and I’ll just keep trying. Worse case senerio we deplane.

Last edited:
I’m also prepping with:

Colorful post it flags
Colored tape
Craft kit
Self adhesive dots
Disney Jr coloring/sticker book
Snacks (including lucky charms and Canadian smarties and American ones); popcorn, crackers, gogo squeezies, etc)

Last edited:
Sometimes toddlers just won’t listen. we recently had to leave an eye Dr appt (1 hr into a potential 2 hr appt); our pediatrician recognizes the challenge and we continually try but even she said it was ok to leave it off when it became a scream fest (wore it for 45 mins).

But we can’t change the current rules, so for us, we will try our best; and we will be prepared to deplane.

Last edited:
This is a great video that held our toddler’s attention

Great packing ideas for Disney travel

My niece is 2.5 and is awesome with masks. It's largely because she sees her older brother (8) wearing one a lot, and he can do no wrong.

Maybe you could plan a playdate with a child who's a little bit older--old enough to be comfortable wearing a mask but still young enough to play. Young children always want to emulate older ones.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter