Toddlers on HM

talie95

Mouseketeer
My younger dd will be 18 mo when we go to DL next month. Has anyone taken a younger child like this on HM? I think she would do OK because she doesn't really get scared easily and I don't think she really has that "fear" that children get as they get older. Right now I don't think she would understand that it's "scary" but she'll probably just have fun looking at all the interesting things. What have your experiences been with this?

This is kind of tricky since kids are so different. Our little girl was about 18 months when she got scared on HM. It was the combination of the stretching room, lights out, screaming teenagers, thunder and lightning that did her in. She probably would have been okay without that. Once we did get on the ride, she was a bit apprehensive at some parts and others she really liked. Although, she is "no worse for the wear" I don't think we'll take her on our next trip. (. . . which I guess doesn't matter since it is closed for the "Nightmare Before Christmas" refurbishment. . .)

Anyways, I say give it a shot especially if your child doesn't get scared easily. Mine can't handle the Halloween isle at WalMart. Good luck!

I've taken all my kids since they were tiny and they've never had a problem with it. But I'd think it would totally depend on the child. My kids understand that the ghosts are fake and it's all in fun. As long as you think she'd not be scared from the ride I don't think it'd hurt to give it a try once.

Both of my kids rode it at about 22 months. They did alright. It wasn't a favorite, but they didnt freak out. I did freak out a bit when we took our dd. We were in the first room, she looked around and said "there are ghosts in here". I didnt think she even knew what a ghost was at 22 months. I about fainted.

My son will be 3 when we go and I'm not sure if I'm taking him on this or not. I'm thinking the part that will scare him the most is when they turn off the lights and you hear the screams and when you look up you see that ghost. Or if we do do it it'll be the very last day of our trip so it doesn't ruin any other ride for him there.

I was just at DL on Monday (9/11) w/ my 18 month old and I actually avoided HM (later found out it was closed) because my little man was acting scared in the Tikki Room, Pirates pirate: , Snow White, Pinochio, and even on Small World at first. He's been to DL 5 times and WDW 2 times (we started going when he was 4 months) and this is the first time he has ever shown the "scared" emotion!!! :guilty: He used to be OK on all of the rides but now things have changed.........fine in late June, not fine in Sept. How quickly things change!! I guess we'll stay away from the darker rides for a whole.

On the flip note, my 18 month old LOVED Toon Town's Goofy's Garden!!! Just bring a towel to dry the little one off because there is a hose squirting water. I couldn't keep my little one out of it so I stripped him down to diapers and let him have it!!

Has your daughter been on a dark ride before? That may have a lot to do with it as well. If not- try Winnie the Pooh before to see how she does. It is short, and most children that age do fairly well. My children like Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan is OK- but they did not like Alice in Wonderland, and I won't do Pinochio, Mr. Toad or Snow White with them. I know that they scare too easy and I don't want to be up at night with their nightmares. We avoided HM each time we went. They did not like the house either though, so that was a good indicator for us. Each child is different though.

Both of my kids did well on this ride. But for some inexplicable reason my son, at age 3, developed a fear of the HM that he is still unable to shake at 5 years. Interestingly enough he loves going in when it is the Haunted Holiday.

All American said:
Our little girl was about 18 months when she got scared on HM. It was the combination of the stretching room, lights out, screaming teenagers, thunder and lightning that did her in. She probably would have been okay without that.

Yep, this is the part that scares the kiddos. Our kids (DS 7 and DS 3) get pretty scared in that first room. They've done it several times since they were very young, starting around 1 - 2 years old, but they still don't like it, even though they know it's pretend. They'd probably enjoy the actual "ride" part of the attraction, but they're usually so freaked out by that first room that they just can't relax and enjoy the it. They both get that "deer-in-headlights" look on their faces. :eek:

Too bad they don't have an alternative entrance for guests who want to bypass that part of the attraction. Our kids would love the HM if they didn't have to go through the stretching room. :thumbsup2

talie95 said:
My younger dd will be 18 mo when we go to DL next month. Has anyone taken a younger child like this on HM? I think she would do OK because she doesn't really get scared easily and I don't think she really has that "fear" that children get as they get older. Right now I don't think she would understand that it's "scary" but she'll probably just have fun looking at all the interesting things. What have your experiences been with this?

I have a 2 1/2 year old, there is no way I would take him on this ride. As soon as the lights go out and the teenagers start screaming that would be it. I dont think he would be scared of the ghosts because he dostn'know what they are but if the kids want screaming they would get it wtih him.

If you are from a city it's important to keep in mind that it never really gets dark. We had NO idea that our son was scared of the dark until we were in Pirates of the Carribean when he was 2. He had slept without the lights on since he was a baby and dark at our house had never been an issue; but when we got in that ride we realized he hadn't ever really been in complete darkness. After that all of the dark rides were out on that trip. Now we know he'll be fine because he likes going into our laundry room which has no windows and turning off the lights and sitting in the dark ahaha. I totally agree about testing him on a milder dark ride first.

My 21 month old loves it. They don't seem to get scared until age 2ish- my oldest dd loved it her first year, then upon returning at age 2 1/2 my mom got her to ride it, and she got off telling Grandma that ride was so scary. Now at 3 1/2 she likes it because the ghosts sing fun songs.

Leofoenget said:
I have a 2 1/2 year old, there is no way I would take him on this ride. As soon as the lights go out and the teenagers start screaming that would be it. I dont think he would be scared of the ghosts because he dostn'know what they are but if the kids want screaming they would get it wtih him.

There's pleny of screaming adults too :banana: :yay: so if you don't see any teenagers around don't think you're off the hook. Sounds like you'll be going during the Nightmare before x-mas time, never seen it. But regular Haunted Mansion, I don't think you're 18 mo. will really understand what's going on so I don't it will be a problem. But yes the only thing to worry about is the elevator ride cuz of the screamers and the lights going out. Get ready to cover up when you hear: "Is this haunted room actually strectching?...or is it your imagination, hmmm?"

KelsiesMommy said:
My 21 month old loves it. They don't seem to get scared until age 2ish- my oldest dd loved it her first year, then upon returning at age 2 1/2 my mom got her to ride it, and she got off telling Grandma that ride was so scary. Now at 3 1/2 she likes it because the ghosts sing fun songs.

This has been our experience with ds, too. My dd never had a problem with it, and my ds was fine until about 2 1/2--then he rode it once and wouldn't go back on it again. This last trip, he was 3 1/2 and couldn't get enough of it.

Your 18 month old will probably do just fine. But I'd get her used to "dark" rides (Peter Pan, Pirates, etc.) and even practice screaming for fun, if that makes sense. We've told him how much fun it is to scream on the "drops" (Pirates, Maelstrom) or on "scary" rides (Barnstormer), and now whenever he hears people screaming at attractions, he thinks it's hilarious and joins right in.

When our son was 16 mo we started him out by watching the ride info on the disneyland web site, so he could be a little familar with all the rides not just the HM. WE also ordered the disneyland vacation dvd. And always playing in our home is the disneyland history cd's so he can actually listen to the music from all of the rides. He is now almost four and knows the music like the back of his hand

We took our son on it when he was 2. Like what someone else said, the only problem area was the beginning. He was okay when the room started to get taller, but when it went dark, and all the screaming and hanging guy appeared... well he was not happy! LOL Once we got on the ride he loved it. I would try to prepare her the best you can, let her know it's gonna get dark and people will scream (I hate it when the teenagers scream and act stupid during that part). But that's it's okay, she's safe. Maybe that will take the edge off of it. Otherwise I think most kids do okay on the actual ride.

We have the Dinseyland Sing-A-Long DVD and there is a song/scene in there from the HM. My DS3 watches this at home and is excited to go on "Mickey's Ghost House" when we go there. At home he even puts something over his head and says he is a ghost. I think that he is a little afraid in the beginning, but quickly gets over it. DS1 has no problem with it.

Thanks everyone. We do plan on doing fantasyland and pirates first so she can get used to the whole "ride" experience. I've also been playing the HM soundtrack and she loves it. She yells whenever anyone screams and she laughs "Ha Ha Ha" when the voice laughs. It's really funny so hopefully she'll be OK with it all.

talie95 said:
Thanks everyone. We do plan on doing fantasyland and pirates first so she can get used to the whole "ride" experience. I've also been playing the HM soundtrack and she loves it. She yells whenever anyone screams and she laughs "Ha Ha Ha" when the voice laughs. It's really funny so hopefully she'll be OK with it all.
We also have the video, and our kids have watched it too many times to count, but as I said, it's not the actual "ride" part that is scary for our kids (ages 7 & 3). It's that first room. I also have to say that it wouldn't be so scary for them if it wasn't so LOUD, LOUD, LOUD! If they could just turn the volume down a little - that would help a lot. Anyway, our kids make it through it every year without too much trauma or drama, but here's a tip - make sure you cover her ears when the room starts stretching. We've done that for our kids for years to "muffle" the fright factor a bit, and so far it's worked. :thumbsup2

As you've got plenty of posts from parents who'll tell you how their children reacted, I thought you might want to know how I felt when I was a kid...when I was young I had no problem with horror movies or anything but I was deathly afraid of Haunted Mansion (let's not even talk in terms of months, I was a couple years old). It wasn't just the other people screaming, it was the ride itself. Children react differently but remember some of them will pretend that they're not scared so they look tough (but will be secretly afraid of it). Others will just completely freak out. And if you freak a kid out on a ride once and try to take him other rides throughout the rest of the day (say something else with a slightly spooky theme, like Indy, with all the deathtraps and skulls piled up), he's definitely not going to want to go on them, no matter how much you try to convince him that it's not bad at all. Meaning that if you take him on that ride...there's a chance you probably won't be doing much else the rest of the day if he gets scared enough. I took my little sisters on a roller coaster once, and they pretended not to be scared...then after the second roller coaster, they admitted how completely freaked out they were and went home. Not a fun day :sad2:

But, you know your own kids best, so I'm sure you'll make the right judgment. Just telling you how I felt about Haunted Mansion when I was a kid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter