Tokyo Disney app and linking our group's physical park tickets? How does it work?

starlightbh8

Earning My Ears
Hi!

Just wanted to ask how the Tokyo Disney app works with linking a group of 3 (adults) park tickets for three park days? We'll be staying at the MiraCosta hotel on-site and buying our park tickets when we check-in to the hotel (so we'll have physical park tickets) for three days in the parks.

How does it work for our group of three? Do we each need our own Disney account on the Tokyo Disney app first to scan in our own tickets before linking? Or can it be only one of us (ie. Me - the person who booked the Disney hotel reservations and Disney restaurant reservations with their Disney account) to be the only one to use the app in the parks and the other 2 in the group can just scan their park tickets to the 1st person's account on the app (without needing separate Disney accounts)? Is each park day a separate process? And can a credit card be added in the app in advance for premier access purchases?

It'll be our first time in Japan and Tokyo Disney in September this year so we're really excited, but I wanted to be prepared and know how things work with the app beforehand. We're planning on doing Premier Access on some things if need-be, as well as priority access (if that's still available in a few weeks).

Any advice or help is appreciated!

>> Side note: Anyone know how the Universal Studios Japan app operates as well for a group? Paper tickets (with QR codes + paper ticket Express passes) on that for us as well.

Thanks so much!

You can also now scan the tickets in advance (i.e. as soon as you purchase them). You no longer need to wait until you're in the park. It saves a bit of time once you're in the park as you can start trying for the show lotteries and purchasing any Premier Access straight away (or while waiting in line for your first ride).

For Universal in July 2023, we purchased Annual Passes as it was better value for money (and allowed us to exit and re-enter which was very important to us when travelling with a toddler). We scanned them into the app - I think we had to do this AFTER our first entry, but I can't recall. BUT, we had to use the physical Annual Pass for entry, not the app.

We didn't purchase any of the "Express" packages as they were very expensive, but I presume that IF you purchased far enough in advance to buy one, then you could scan it into the app. We did use the app for the "timed entry" to Nintendo Land. When we were there, "timed entry" was not required for Harry Potter Land. We had to scan in the Annual Passes before we could get a "timed entry" ticket.

We didn't purchase any of the "Express" packages as they were very expensive, but I presume that IF you purchased far enough in advance to buy one, then you could scan it into the app. We did use the app for the "timed entry" to Nintendo Land. When we were there, "timed entry" was not required for Harry Potter Land. We had to scan in the Annual Passes before we could get a "timed entry" ticket

I've yet to figure out where to scan the express part into the app. Haven't read anywhere of people scanning them into the app either but making sure to keep the print out dry.

The USJ app seems so bad. It was a hunt to figure out where to scan the ticket in. I was also able to buy my ticket and express pass directly from USJ and that doesn't help get anything in the app like you would think it would.

I bought my tickets for Disney right from the Tokyo Disney app. After the purchase went through, the tickets showed up right in the app, I did not need to scan them myself.

I bought my tickets for Disney right from the Tokyo Disney app. After the purchase went through, the tickets showed up right in the app, I did not need to scan them myself.
Helenk,

Are you using the Japanese version or the English version of the app? I remember in the past it was only available on the Japanese version.

THX

I scanned both our tickets into the app after entering the park. I was then able to buy Premier access for both of us. Each day is separate.
I was at TDR in July. I actually recall reading in a guidebook to wait to scan until after entering the park, but on day 1, I scanned after buying our tickets at Miracosta while walking downstairs to enter the park and I DO NOT recommend it. It was an incredibly stressful 5-10 minutes (felt like hours, but was probably less than 10m) while I waited for our tickets to load so I could buy Premier Access, etc.

The next day, we scanned after entering and it worked immediately.

I suspect (but am not sure) that if you scan days in advance it works more seamlessly--but I'm not certain. If you're rope dropping when every second counts, I would scan after entering (FWIW though, it turns out that Premier Access in Japan does not go as fast as ILL at WDW, so I was stressing over nothing).

Ok, so wanted to report back on buying tix. Did it through the app for one day (holiday) to test. Mastercard authentication challenge came through just fine, and tix appeared in app. A few days later, I again tried to purchase an additional day's tickets, and the authentication didn't come through and the app directed me to try Klook in the "transaction failed" message. (BTW, TDL or Mastercard was having a connection issue that day as 10 min later, I received an authentication code from Mastercard...)

Anyway, I switched to Klook, decided to try a Visa just for fun. Klook's transaction failed, but I immediately got a text from Chase to verify the transaction. In the text, they said to be sure the transaction wasn't run again, and then if not, to retry and it will go through. Klook wasn't trying again, so I just reopened the cart and put the transaction through, and voilà, transaction complete.

Hopes this helps someone else in their purchasing quest.

I have been trying to figure this out: is it only one person who can scan the tickets into the app or can you scan them into two different people’s phones?

My family are like ducklings: just follow Mama around. So, we didn't even attempt more than one phone. Wish I knew the answer for ya...
Most likely my husband will happily let me do everything as well. Would just be nice to pretend I let him play a little!! 🤣

I have been trying to figure this out: is it only one person who can scan the tickets into the app or can you scan them into two different people’s phones?

Since I have a package, I don't have tickets yet. However, I was able to create a group with my husband and son for our package and TDR hotel days. They both have MDE accounts. I thought there would be a chance that we might split off, since our son is an "adult", 18 :rotfl2: Someone on FB said they got an error when someone else tried to scan a ticket that had already been scanned into the app. If you keep your tickets separate and only on your personal phone, then it might work. However, you probably want the ability to book things together at the same time and to see each other's plans. I would do the group route.

Since I have a package, I don't have tickets yet. However, I was able to create a group with my husband and son for our package and TDR hotel days. They both have MDE accounts. I thought there would be a chance that we might split off, since our son is an "adult", 18 :rotfl2: Someone on FB said they got an error when someone else tried to scan a ticket that had already been scanned into the app. If you keep your tickets separate and only on your personal phone, then it might work. However, you probably want the ability to book things together at the same time and to see each other's plans. I would do the group route.
I was planning to buy the tickets in the app. We have a smorgasbord of credit cards (US, German and even a Wise card), so I hope it will work. So I guess there will be one group that I have to manage.

Thanks. I hadn’t thought about this. We will also have a package. I plan to manage all the tickets, DPAs, etc. for my spouse and two kids. Will they need their own MDE accounts or will I be able to manage everything from my account?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter