Tomato help

TinkOhio

DIS Veteran
Our garden is exploding with tomatoes, and I would love to find some new ways to prepare them. Please share your fresh tomato recipes and help us find lots of ways to eat them and save some money!:goodvibes

send some my way Chip and Dale keeps eating ours! :rotfl:

Chili Sauce (spicy)
Makes about 6 pints.

2 cups sweet green peppers, chopped
2 cups chopped onions
24 large tomatoes(4 quarts peeled, cored, chopped)
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tbls. salt
1 1/4 cup vinegar
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tbls. celery seed
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
Hot Pack

Combine and add all ingredients to a heavy sauce pan or cast iron skillet. Bring to a boil and simmer 1 to 2 hours or till desired thickness has been reached. Stir often to prevent sticking. Pack hot jars with hot prepared tomato mixture leaving 1/2-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim and screw threads and adjust lids and screw bands.

My Mom makes this and we all enjoy it...Tomatoes, Cucumbers, and Motzorella (sp?) cheese. Cute everything into bite size chunks, pour Italian dressing over it, stir it so the dressing covers everything, and cover. Refridgerate for a few hours and serve.

I usually make it in the morning or around lunchtime and then throw it in the fridge till dinner.

Buy a box of wheat Tabule at the store (in the rice isle). There is a recipe on it for Greek Tabule salad....uses Cucumbers, Tomatos, Feta cheese.... Is really easy (no cooking) and yummy.

We love Tomato Pie!!

I use a frozen deep dish pie crush, and pre-bake it for about 10 minutes. Then layer thin sliced tomatoes, sweet onions, salt and pepper, a small sprinkle of fresh (or dried) basil and oregano, and mozzarella cheese. Continue layers until crust is full. Then top with about 1/4-1/2 cup light mayo (spread over the top). Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30-45 minutes or until top is light brown and bubbly.
SOOOO good!!

You are so lucky! I love a tomato right from the garden. I would make alot of pasta sauce. At the end, any green ones, you can make the green tomato relish. And you can send a large box of them to me! :cutie:

tomato napoleons- slice the tomatoes as though you were going to use to put on a sandwich. Reassemble the tomato with "things" in-between each slice (herbs, sliced cheese, meats, leftovers). Depending on what you use you can serve cold, room temperature or heated. I like to salt/pepper each slice.

You can freeze the tomatoes whole in bags and use later for cooked products (sauces, soups, etc.). The skins slide right off when defrosting.

I make and can salsa
Also, fresh spaghetti sauce in the crockpot - house smells yummy when we get home :)

Wish you could send some my way! Our tomatoes fell victim to the blight this year :(

We are big fans of sauce made in the crockpot. Tomatoes need to be boiled for a minute or so then removed to cool in order to be skinned easily. Add to crockpot with onions, dash of olive oil, garlic, minced basil - fresh if you have it, grated carrot, salt and sugar. Other ingredients can be added as per taste. Blend with a stick mixer if you have one, it helps break down the tomatoes. It needs to cook for several hours, and might need thickening with corn starch depending on how you like your sauce.

Enjoy your bounty!

I make and can my own salsa as well as making spaghetti sauce and freezing that. My 16 plants fell victim to blight this year so I'm not getting nearly the output as usual. :(

DH loves my stuffed tomatoes. I simply cut around the center of the tomato until I can use a melon baller to take out the "insides". I roughly dice it (taking out the core) and then add it to a bowl with some panko bread crumbs, grated parmesean cheese, a small amount of olive oil and laughing cow low fat cheese. I usually use my hands to mush this all together! :)

I then stuff it all back in the tomato shell & drizzle just a small amount of olive oil on the top. Bake in a 350 to 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes, until brown & bubbly. This almost makes a meal by itself if the tomato is big enough! Enjoy!

P.S. I love checking out the Taste of Home website for ideas, too. Good Luck!

Fried green tomatoes if you still have any green.
DH like tomato sandwiches, just tomato and mayo or fresh bread.:confused3

This is the first year I won't have garden tomatoes. :( I started a new job and didn't have time for a garden this year. BUT. .around this house it is BLT's!!! My kids love them. For breakfast, I like to slice a hard boiled egg, tomato, cucumber and a little mayo on toast or rice cakes. .. yum! Whenever I had too many and couldn't keep up, I would just blanch a big pot off them, rub the skins off, put them in ziploc bags, squish them up a little and freeze them. It was great to pull out in the winter for sauces, soups and chili. HTH

This is the first year I won't have garden tomatoes. :( I started a new job and didn't have time for a garden this year. BUT. .around this house it is BLT's!!! My kids love them. For breakfast, I like to slice a hard boiled egg, tomato, cucumber and a little mayo on toast or rice cakes. .. yum! Whenever I had too many and couldn't keep up, I would just blanch a big pot off them, rub the skins off, put them in ziploc bags, squish them up a little and freeze them. It was great to pull out in the winter for sauces, soups and chili. HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter