Tomato help

My favorite saying in the summer. When life gives you lemons make lemonade..when life gives you tomatos, make salsa!

Salsa: Tomatoes, Onions, hot peppers (just a little) Lime juice, tons of garlic and a little salt to taste. I vary the proportions based on my mood. A little can tomato paste rounds it out nicely, too sometimes.

I also grow lots of basil to make Bruschetta: Tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and basil.(dash of balsamic vinegar is optional) Serve on bread toasted with olive oil.

Caprese Salad: Sliced fresh tomatoes topped with sea salt, fresh mozzerella, and fresh basil leaves, and drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette. Yum! :goodvibes

Our favorites (some of which have been mentioned here) are: BLTs, Salade Caprese, Ratatouille (which also freezes very well), salsa, stuffed tomatoes (raw stuffed with tuna or crab salad, or baked as described by another poster), tomatoes provencale, and when we can't keep up with eating them all, I make sun-dried tomatoes, or pop them in the freezer whole to use later for soups and stews. I've got the blight too this year, so I won't have many to dry, boo.

We have tons also! Anyone have a good salsa recipe?

Get a package of McCormick Salsa Seasoning and add fresh cilantro. Mix in with tomatoes cut up. Let sit for a few hours. Instant delicious salsa. :thumbsup2

Tomatoes, Cucumber and onion salad with balsalmic vinegar, olive oil and Cavender's Greek Seasoning (or salt and pepper)

Bacon and tomato sandwiches with Miracle whip on bread (forget the lettuce) this is heaven!

I know my grocery store sells a dry herb mix to add to tomatoes for salsa. It is pretty good. Seems like it has a woman on the label and is a see through bag.

Caprese Salad: Sliced fresh tomatoes topped with sea salt, fresh mozzerella, and fresh basil leaves, and drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette. Yum! :goodvibes

My favorite but I also add fresh garlic slices to mine and I just drizzle high quality olive oil over it right before serving. :goodvibes

Salsa is so easy to make
you don't need a mix

Chop tomatoes
chop poblanos or whatever pepper you like (jalapeno)
olive oil
cilantro
I like raw onion in mine- so a little of that
LIME!!

There you go - Salsa!

variation- you can add grilled corn and chipolte too!

I love Tomato Cuccumber feta salads.

I am still waiting on my tomatoes- I started from seeds this year and I fear by the time I get tomatoes it'll be snowing.

We had tons of tomatoes too this year and we were out of takers (my mom and I both had gardens). So, we blanched the tomatoes after taking out most of the seeds (DH doesn't like them) and chinking them, removed the peels, added fresh garlic and onion and cooked just a bit, then froze in those little half cup ziploc containers.

When the next batch of tomatoes were getting too ripe, we dumped out the ziploc containers into gallon bags and repeated. Now we have tons of 1/2 cup seasoned tomatoe cubes in the freezer ready for soups, spaghetti, chili, gumbo, etc. (We originally thought about ice cube trays but neither of us had any.)

Most all of mine split because of heavy rain this summer. I wonder if I can still freeze them whole?

These recipes sound wonderful. Can't wait to try them.
I ate a whole one fresh off the vine tonight with supper. It was delicious.

Now, who has recipes for zucchini?

Now, who has recipes for zucchini?

Favorite for us is an easy peasy fried zucchini- cut into matchsticks- dip in flour, egg, breadcrumbs- fry in olive oil. Drain and top with a squeeze of lemon! Mmmmmm delicious and the kids love this one!

I also just saute some sliced Zucchini with a little olive oil and garlic- till crispy- that's the sauce I put on top of Raviolli in the summer!

and I have a stuffed zucchini recipe that I have to dig out to get it right- it's yummy tomatoes used and cheese- breadcrumbs but I'll try to find the "official" recipe.

slice tomatoes, put a slice of fresh motzarella on top of the tomato, tear a piece of fresh basil and lay on motzarella and then drizzle balsamic vinegar on top. VERY YUMMY and different.

Make past sauce and store it for the winter.

I make past sauce in one large batch when most tomatoes ripen.

Saute in olive oil your choice of:

garlic, shallots, onion
fresh peppers, mushrooms, olives, hot peppers, shredded carrots, spinach combination's are endless
Add fresh basil, oregano, pepper, salt, red wine

peel tomatoes and cook down to desired consistency

I make my recipes from memory but honestly any good pasta sauce recipe will do and when done and cooled bag it I double bag so no frostbite and I have fresh homemade past sauce straight through about february usually.I dont add meat because i think it shouldn't be frozen for along time.

Good luck

We slice tomatoes, spread some salad dressing on top (caeser or Italian) and top with crumbled feta cheese. Bake at 350 until the cheese starts to melt.

Or, you can broil them.

We slice tomatoes, spread some salad dressing on top (caeser or Italian) and top with crumbled feta cheese. Bake at 350 until the cheese starts to melt.

Or, you can broil them.

Oh yummy! That sounds so good. When I was a kid (like 12) I used to take mushrooms and stuff them with feta and stick them in the oven for lunch! (this was the 70's and it used to drive my mom nuts) But I loved them that way! I may have to try that again!

We love fresh tomato sandwiches. Toast the bread, slather on butter and mayo, put sliced tomatoes on, add salt and pepper. Delicious!!

Our garden is exploding with tomatoes, and I would love to find some new ways to prepare them. Please share your fresh tomato recipes and help us find lots of ways to eat them and save some money!:goodvibes

why don't u sell them at ur local farmer's market? that'll save a lot of money :)

I make sun-dried tomatoes

I bet this is going to be the stupidest question ever, but exactly how do you sun-dry tomatoes. I love the ones you buy in the stores.

I remember my mother drying apples when I was a kid, but I've never known anyone who did tomatoes.

Our biggest thing this year has been homemade pizza. I buy the Pillsbury crusts. I just like sliced tomato, garlic and cheeses on my side, but DH puts other things on the rest for the boys. We don't use any tomato sauce at all, but they are SO good.

Sheila

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter