Tomorrowland Transit Authority

DizBelle

DIS Veteran
When and why was the name "WEDWay PeopleMover" changed to "Tomorrowland Transit Authority"?

Did the ride change at all when the name changed?

This thread could be a walk down TTA memory lane. Does anyone remember features of this attraction that aren't there anymore?

:cool1:

Our first trip to WDW was October 1994. During that time, Tomorrowland was pretty torn up, I think only Space Mountain was open. I have always known it as TTA, so it was probably around that time.

I don't know when the name changed, but it was still called the WEDway in 1986. Since my visits as a kid and adult were so far apart (didn't ride it in 1994) I can't remember if the track is different or not. I'd be interested to find out too though.

Yes, the name was changed when Tomorrowland underwent renovation a few years back (can't remember the year!). But the ride itself didn't change at all. Some of the views changed, (like now going through Buzz Ltyr instead of If You Had Wings). For the most part it is wonderfully the same! It is one of my favorites!

TTA is one of my family's favorites as well!

I remember it as Wedway well, in fact, once when I was riding it they were working on Space Mountain and the lights were on when we went through it! It was neat to see the whole track in the light!::yes::

Disney_Nut 34....I had almost forgotten about being able to see all of Space Mtn. We ride each and evertime we go. It was really neat to be able to see inside since i do not ride Space Mtn. :duck: :duck: :duck:

Not a secret by any means, but I always make a point of riding this as a way f taking a touring break, it makes you feel like your still "doing something" while getting in a much needed break.

I found a copy of Birnbaum's "Guide to Walt Disney World, including the EPCOT Center" from 1988, last weekend, and it was still the WEDway People Mover back then.

Also, it's pretty cool seeing what has changed since then; talk about memory lane!

The other day I was talking to my dh, who isn't really a Disney buff, and I was talking about the TTA. He could not figure out what I was talking about, even though we went on it in 95 and 2000. Finally he said, "You mean the People Mover?" I was shocked that he knew it by that name, but not TTA. So I'm wondering if it was still the People Mover in 1995. I don't know how else he would know that name.

It was indeed during the 1994 makeover of Tomorrowland that the Peoplemover became the TTA.

"Welcome aboard TTA travellers."

This is such an overlooked attraction. I love it.

When I went in 2002, i RAN to the people mover, jumping and screaming for the rest of my family t hurry up. It's always been my favorite ride, cause me and my brother grew up loving anything that moves (cars, trains, the monotrail, etc) and this was always a favorite for us both. When I climbed aboard and heard the recording say, "tomorrowland transit authority", i was thinking "ewww! what a lame name for something as cool as the people mover!"

I will forever call it the people mover, TTA is really, well, makes it sound like a bus station.

I did not like this one when I was a kid...it was my mom's favorite! I like it now...perfect when you need a break on a hot day AND it convinced my son that Space Mountain was worth a try!

We always do once or twice on our visit's to the MK and it is a great way to check out the lines at SM.::yes:: :wave2:

Does anyone know why the name was changed? Was it something specific or was it just because all of Tomorrowland was being renovated and they wanted to give it a new name?

Have any other attractions changed names without the attraction itself changing?

Its name was changed because Tomorrowland was being updated. They also got a new spiel with new speaker. The struts were also changed. However you can see the old ones near the raceway.

Dreamflight also changed names 3 times with new sponsorships and that. However the attracion itself changed little if any.

Countdown to extiniction was changed to Dinosaur when the movie came out and they added the dino in front to look like the movies main character.

Thats all i really know off the top of my head...

Ok, this is going way back, and maybe some of you can help me....I remember as a kid, The People Mover, and some ride with a blue buggy similar in shape to the Doom Buggies...was that the If I Had Wings ride? And was it sponsored by Eastern Airlines? And what was the circle vision type of ride, a 360* theater? Was it also in Tomorrowland?

Just trying to piece together some happy, but blurry memories!

Thanks,
SnoWhiteRabbit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter