Torn...

We've been to Universal 5 times in the past 6 years. For me 4 days is the perfect length. You can ride everything with express pass (included in royal pacific) in about 1.5 to 2 days. Having the latter two days to catch shows, go back to favorites, try some different food places is great.

It depends on how you vacation. Different people have different styles. I think 4 days is great if you want to relax and not have to rush to get through everything. With 4 days you'll have plenty of time to do all of the rides, shows, and food that you want to try. You may also have time to do your favorites a second itme. Also, if you want to spend part of the afternoon at the hotel by a pool, you can do that still have time for everything in the parks.
We don't tend to relax while on vacation. We stay on the go pretty much the whole time.

It depends on how you vacation. Different people have different styles. I think 4 days is great if you want to relax and not have to rush to get through everything. With 4 days you'll have plenty of time to do all of the rides, shows, and food that you want to try. You may also have time to do your favorites a second itme. Also, if you want to spend part of the afternoon at the hotel by a pool, you can do that still have time for everything in the parks.
We don't tend to relax on vacation. We stay on the go pretty much the whole time.

Last edited:
For me, I would say to enjoy your time at Universal. Sure, with the express pass you'll get on the rides fast enough, but if you're wife is a Harry Potter fan, there are so many little details that people overlook as they go through those areas. I've done the Disney/Universal combination trip and while fun, there are factors that only you can decide if you want to deal with (parking, driving, getting there at a certain time for what you want, etc.).

Have fun, no matter what you choose!
She likes HP just fine, but I'm the big die hard fan of the two lol.

We don't tend to relax while on vacation. We stay on the go pretty much the whole time.
This is something I'm always trying to do better about when I go on vacation. I tend to go all day until I crash, trying to cram in as much stuff as possible on a trip while I can. Then I'm completely exhausted when I get home.

We don't tend to relax on vacation. We stay on the go pretty much the whole time.
We used to be like that too. Our first trip for 4 nights at CB, we were in line before EE every day. We took a break for lunch in the afternoon, and went back to the parks until close every night.

Our next trip was RPR for 4 nights. We took the same approach as the first trip, since that was what we were used to. But we discovered that with EPs, we could really get through the rides "too fast". So we started to slow down a bit.

On the third trip, we started sleeping in more, since we knew that we'd still get to do all the rides we wanted. At this point, we just show up and do whatever we feel like at the time. We take the boat even if we could walk to the parks faster. Last Thanksgiving, we stayed for 7 nights and did not get bored. It was truly a relaxing trip and I now measure our non-UO vacations against that feeling...

We don't relax on vacation too. We walked about 10 miles a day this past trip. We just got back from a four day trip and after day two we were thinking 4 was too many days, but it totally wasn't. We had Express Pass and went at a very slow time. But, my kids (9 and 13) got to ride all of their favorites 5+ times. It was also nice to have four days because two of those days Hagrid's wasn't open in the morning and the wait got long fast when it did open. So, we got to ride it at least once during Early Entry. My oldest rode Velocicoaster at least 10 times in four days. We don't have another trip planned, so it was nice to be able to get our fix of our favorites. We did Early Entry every day and stayed until park close, and did every single ride/show/etc (minus a few HP stage shows we've seen before).

we used to like disney a lot. we had gone there as kids and enjoyed rediscovering it in more recent years. but now we don't really feel like it's worth going there anymore. the fun is gone with too much overplanning, overcharging/nickel and diming, and all the cutbacks. we'll now either go to universal or seaworld. both of which are still fun to go to and more of a simpler theme park time and a better value, like how disney used to be.

I'd say your biggest issue is going to be pacing yourselves. Honestly, staying at RPR with express passes, it's relaxing and magical. There's so much to do and it can be done so fast with EP that you will be worn out after those first 2 days and you'll just be trying to figure out what you want to do a 3rd or 4th time. That will give you the 3rd day to relax a little, enjoy the resort, sit down and drink some coffee. Try to mix in some experiences so you don't burn out on rides the first 2 days. Hagrid's and Velocicoaster are 2 of the best rides I've ever experienced and I am getting ready for our 4th trip in 1.5 years this coming weekend. We did 5 days last year, but took one day to Hollywood Studios. However, 4 is a perfect amount for USO/IOA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter