Trading Pins from Ebay

the seller that I bought from was shelly7pak. Avoid at all costs.

AGREED!! SHELLS7PAK IS DEFINITELY FAKE!

As far as the other ebay sellers in questions-
Olivejuiceyou21 & domdisneypin
I looked at the majority of their listings (both of them, but not every single one) and every single one I saw was authentic! I would say buy from them, as well as the other seller listed (dopey something-in previous post).

Thanks to everyone for being proactive in this! And PLEASE report shells7pak to tips@disneyantipiracy.com

AGREED!! SHELLS7PAK IS DEFINITELY FAKE!

As far as the other ebay sellers in questions-
Olivejuiceyou21 & domdisneypin
I looked at the majority of their listings (both of them, but not every single one) and every single one I saw was authentic! I would say buy from them, as well as the other seller listed (dopey something-in previous post).

Thanks to everyone for being proactive in this! And PLEASE report shells7pak to tips@disneyantipiracy.com

I did report her, but that email came back as undeliverable. I just wish I had looked into her more thoroughly before my hubby went and bought lots of pins from her!

First off let me say that as a trader, I don't like scrappers either. On the otherhand, I don't like how this thread is turning into a witchhunt by "outing scrapper sellers" by listing their ebay user i.d.s I know this is a public forum so people can say what they want but keep in mind that your are potentially ruining someones ebay reputation. Report the seller to ebay & Disney and let them handle the issue. At least through ebay, the seller will have a chance to defend themself.

Let me say again, I don't like scrapper sellers either. I also don't like buyers who want really cheap pins but yet get mad when the pin turns out to be fake. You wanted a cheap pin, you got a cheap pin. That is why counterfeits (of any product) exist. People want the product, they just don't want to pay the price.

Do you want to help stop the scrapper problem? Then quit buying cheap pins off of ebay or any other non-disney website that is selling pins for less then $2.00. Newsflash, they are scrapper pins.

Do you want cheap pins? Pay attention to Disneyshopping.com and the Disney Store outlets. I have bought dozens of traders for around $3.00 each from those two places. Disneyshopping.com does have great sales occasionally which you can also use discount codes with. In the beginning of February, I visited a Disney outlet store near WDW. They had lots of nice pins mint on original card for $3.00 each. Now I will make it a point to visit that outlet store every time I go to WDW. Sorry I can't remember the name of the outlet but I do remember it was 10 minutes from Disney and very easy to find.

As the one that started this thread, I agree that it shouldn't turn into a witch hunt.

The main thing is education. When I made my purchase, I did not know that there was such a thing as a scrapper or counterfeit pin. I honestly thought that Disney sold off bulk lots of the pins that they collected in trade from the CMs lanyards.

It was only after I received that pins and started to check them out individually that I quickly became aware. There is no reason to throw the collectors that want to save a buck under the bus for not knowing.

Hopefully a thread like this has helped educate people to the situation.

I bought two pins from Olivejuiceyou21 and I feel confident her pins are for real. These are some sellers that I bought pins from and have checked them all and they are real.

magical_day_shoppe bought a lot of 30 and all were real authentic pins except for maybe one as per pin pics. Very nice to deal with.

iloveanimation0 I bought two LE pins that we negotied on. brand new on the cards

pindetective Very nice pins at good prices.

First off let me say that as a trader, I don't like scrappers either. On the otherhand, I don't like how this thread is turning into a witchhunt by "outing scrapper sellers" by listing their ebay user i.d.s I know this is a public forum so people can say what they want but keep in mind that your are potentially ruining someones ebay reputation. Report the seller to ebay & Disney and let them handle the issue. At least through ebay, the seller will have a chance to defend themself.

Let me say again, I don't like scrapper sellers either. I also don't like buyers who want really cheap pins but yet get mad when the pin turns out to be fake. You wanted a cheap pin, you got a cheap pin. That is why counterfeits (of any product) exist. People want the product, they just don't want to pay the price.

Do you want to help stop the scrapper problem? Then quit buying cheap pins off of ebay or any other non-disney website that is selling pins for less then $2.00. Newsflash, they are scrapper pins.

Do you want cheap pins? Pay attention to Disneyshopping.com and the Disney Store outlets. I have bought dozens of traders for around $3.00 each from those two places. Disneyshopping.com does have great sales occasionally which you can also use discount codes with. In the beginning of February, I visited a Disney outlet store near WDW. They had lots of nice pins mint on original card for $3.00 each. Now I will make it a point to visit that outlet store every time I go to WDW. Sorry I can't remember the name of the outlet but I do remember it was 10 minutes from Disney and very easy to find.

I totally disagree with your thought of not listing seller's ID's. They buy huge lots of pins from sources OTHER than Disney and they know they are fake- period. The legal process can take years, and word of mouth works much quicker. I for one hope they DO go out of business, that is the point of all this. I will continue to list the GOOD and the BAD sellers here and hope it educates someone, anyone.

The majority of this thread are people who were not aware they were buying counterfeits and became educated, which I applaud. It has been stated many times that people should buy pins from Disney or reputable sellers, nothing wrong with that.

I don't consider this a "witch hunt" it's simply working together to try to STOP counterfeit pin sellers by reporting it to the proper authorities AND informing others about them and steering them away.

I totally disagree with your thought of not listing seller's ID's. They buy huge lots of pins from sources OTHER than Disney and they know they are fake- period. The legal process can take years, and word of mouth works much quicker. I for one hope they DO go out of business:woohoo: , that is the point of all this. :worship:I will continue to list the GOOD and the BAD sellers here and hope it educates someone, anyone.

I don't consider this a "witch hunt" it's simply working together to try to STOP counterfeit pin sellers by reporting it to the proper authorities AND informing others about them and steering them away.

Have you noticed that more people have posted sellers names they believe are GOOD sellers?:thumbsup2
Isn't that what the DISboards are for is communicating and helping others?:rolleyes1

IMO we should ruin the reputation of people who have high ratings for selling fakes. The reputation they have is undeserved!
I buy a lot of things from E-Bay and do a lot of checking into sellers feedback. The first star rating question is
How accurate was the item description?
If they say they are not selling scrappers, sedsema, fakes, whatever, then you get your order and find that you have been :scared1: cheated, you should leave a low rating AND report them. E-Bay does seem to be concerned, even if it is just to cover their legal. I have seen listings quickly removed and sellers disappear when they have been reported.

This has become not a witch hunt but a hunt for an honest man.

I know this thread is about ebay, but what about buying pin lots from a source such as pinfinder.com? I just bought a pin lot from them, should I be expecting some scrappers to be in the mix or are they mainly on the level? :confused3

I know this thread is about ebay, but what about buying pin lots from a source such as pinfinder.com? I just bought a pin lot from them, should I be expecting some scrappers to be in the mix or are they mainly on the level? :confused3

I looked for complaints through the BBB and found nothing. I read their gaurantee with problems and it seemed good. When you get the lot check them over and try to find them on pinpics. I find pinpics to be acurate and if it's a scapper they will tell you what to look for. I haven't bought from them but did from another online company and all the pins look as if they are the real thing.

I just looked at pinfinder, I find it a little off that they are able to offer lots of 1000 pins which state you will get a max of 25 of any pin. I personally would not but lots from there.

I just looked at pinfinder, I find it a little off that they are able to offer lots of 1000 pins which state you will get a max of 25 of any pin. I personally would not but lots from there.

I agree. I think any "lot" that is not specific to exactly what you are going to get is a red flag. The fact that they list no duplicates after a certain number of pins means they are mass duplicating. Just my .02.

And thanks to everyone who is posting on this thread and helping towards a solution. I know this is cheesy but appropriate "TEAM" Together Everyone Achieves More...sorry, the HR dork in me :lmao:

It's good that some of you are so skilled at spotting fakes that you don't even have to examine the pin. You can simply look at a half blurry 2x2 inch picture and tell they are fake. You don't have to touch, look or examine them. This small picture is clearly enough for you to ruin someones ebay reputation. You are clearly more skilled than I.

I once went with my cousin to the employee store at DisneyWorld and bought 100's of pins for $1.50 each. Now, if I wanted to make a profit I could turn around and sell them on ebay for, say, $2.00 a pin. Hmmm, I guess that automatically makes them scrappers (according to some of you).

If someone is selling fake pins and you know 100 % for sure they are fakes than fine. But if you haven't ordered their pins and personally examined them, then you have not right to ruin their rep with ebay.

It's good that some of you are so skilled at spotting fakes that you don't even have to examine the pin. You can simply look at a half blurry 2x2 inch picture and tell they are fake. You don't have to touch, look or examine them. This small picture is clearly enough for you to ruin someones ebay reputation. You are clearly more skilled than I.

I once went with my cousin to the employee store at DisneyWorld and bought 100's of pins for $1.50 each. Now, if I wanted to make a profit I could turn around and sell them on ebay for, say, $2.00 a pin. Hmmm, I guess that automatically makes them scrappers (according to some of you).

If someone is selling fake pins and you know 100 % for sure they are fakes than fine. But if you haven't ordered their pins and personally examined them, then you have not right to ruin their rep with ebay.

Its not that some Disers can tell if they are authentic just from looking at a little picture, its that we know which pins are more likely to be scrappers. So when sellers have many of these pins, its a red light that we should be avoiding that seller.

I guess because so many of us have been burned, that we're taking the "better to be safe than sorry" stance. Since so many of the "$2.00 or less" are scrappers, its easier to assume that they might be, rather than take the risk and buy them to see for sure.

Well I find some issues with your post. I have been to the Cast Member stores MANY times (all of them) and you are not allowed to buy more than 10 quantity of any pin (@ DU). I have rarely seen a pin for less than $2 anywhere but DU (except on starter lanyards). They are also Cast Member EXLCUSIVE pins, NOT cast lanyard pins which you will almost NEVER see for sale in lots. There is a VERY distinct difference in CM exclusive vs. cast lanyard pins. The cast lanyard pins have the hidden Mickey (these are the vast amount of fakes going around now) and the CM exclusive pins are almost always limited to under 1000 and states on the back "Cast Member Exclusive, LE of __" and the year. Let us know if you find a seller that has a large lot of these pins. First of all, it is against Disney policy to buy CM merchandise for the intention of selling at a profit, however, they are tradeable in the parks and HIGHLY sought after by nearly every pin trader. So when I do trade mine, which I have done on occasion and is perfectly acceptable, I am infiltrating RARE and WANTED pins vs. cheap scrappers.

And, not to be rude, but I am better at spotting fakes than almost anyone I know, including cast members trading them. I have educated MANY CM's on how to spot a fake and they were surprised how easy they are to spot once educated. This is not a position I wanted, believe me! I would much rather be able to pin trade and NOT worry about fakes, scrappers, etc. And CERTAINLY not take a good portion of my personal time to try to right other's wrongs. I could easily turn a blind eye and go on with my life, but that's not me.

I will GLADLY, HAPPILY and CONTINUALLY list ebay sellers of fake pins ONLY when I am 100% positive that they are fake. I have personally bought pins from many of the sellers listed (other posters have listed sellers that they've personally dealt with) and sent my information (and the fake pins) to Disney for investigation.

And YES, I CAN tell by a 2X2 picture EXACTLY which pins are fake and which are not (if I know the pins, most I do). And once you gain the experience of over 10 years of pin trading (2+ trips per year, trading every day of those 14 day trips) you too can gain the knowledge I share here.

The ONLY ebay sellers we are trying to ruin the reputation of (and they definitely deserve it) are those who knowingly sell scrappers (fake) Disney pins. Disney is investigating this and working on it, but it could take years. Word of mouth and the internet work MUCH quicker. Whatever I can do to expedite these sellers going out of business I will DO! I will remain diligent and spend my time to put them out of business; it ruins pin trading for EVERYONE and it is one of my favorite hobbies on my trips.

I am really not trying to single anyone out, everyone has a right to post exactly what they think. And I would NEVER..let me repeat that..NEVER implicate someone or something I was not 100% positive about.

I can tell you, without any doubt whatsoever at all, the sellers I've listed as selling fakes, I've had personal dealings with (and turned over to Disney legal) and/or examined their pins. And the ones I list as "legit" I have looked at their pins, and with my own knowledge, determined the products they are selling are authentic. I don't know of any one person who is "The" Disney Pin expert or hired by Disney to be the "Pin Police", but I know much more than the casual (and even many serious) traders.

I gladly stand by everything I've posted on this thread and all others.

Well I find some issues with your post. I have been to the Cast Member stores MANY times (all of them) and you are not allowed to buy more than 10 quantity of any pin (@ DU). I have rarely seen a pin for less than $2 anywhere but DU (except on starter lanyards). They are also Cast Member EXLCUSIVE pins, NOT cast lanyard pins which you will almost NEVER see for sale in lots. There is a VERY distinct difference in CM exclusive vs. cast lanyard pins. The cast lanyard pins have the hidden Mickey (these are the vast amount of fakes going around now) and the CM exclusive pins are almost always limited to under 1000 and states on the back "Cast Member Exclusive, LE of __" and the year. Let us know if you find a seller that has a large lot of these pins. First of all, it is against Disney policy to buy CM merchandise for the intention of selling at a profit, however, they are tradeable in the parks and HIGHLY sought after by nearly every pin trader. So when I do trade mine, which I have done on occasion and is perfectly acceptable, I am infiltrating RARE and WANTED pins vs. cheap scrappers.

And, not to be rude, but I am better at spotting fakes than almost anyone I know, including cast members trading them. I have educated MANY CM's on how to spot a fake and they were surprised how easy they are to spot once educated. This is not a position I wanted, believe me! I would much rather be able to pin trade and NOT worry about fakes, scrappers, etc. And CERTAINLY not take a good portion of my personal time to try to right other's wrongs. I could easily turn a blind eye and go on with my life, but that's not me.

I will GLADLY, HAPPILY and CONTINUALLY list ebay sellers of fake pins ONLY when I am 100% positive that they are fake. I have personally bought pins from many of the sellers listed (other posters have listed sellers that they've personally dealt with) and sent my information (and the fake pins) to Disney for investigation.

And YES, I CAN tell by a 2X2 picture EXACTLY which pins are fake and which are not (if I know the pins, most I do). And once you gain the experience of over 10 years of pin trading (2+ trips per year, trading every day of those 14 day trips) you too can gain the knowledge I share here.

The ONLY ebay sellers we are trying to ruin the reputation of (and they definitely deserve it) are those who knowingly sell scrappers (fake) Disney pins. Disney is investigating this and working on it, but it could take years. Word of mouth and the internet work MUCH quicker. Whatever I can do to expedite these sellers going out of business I will DO! I will remain diligent and spend my time to put them out of business; it ruins pin trading for EVERYONE and it is one of my favorite hobbies on my trips.

I am really not trying to single anyone out, everyone has a right to post exactly what they think. And I would NEVER..let me repeat that..NEVER implicate someone or something I was not 100% positive about.

I can tell you, without any doubt whatsoever at all, the sellers I've listed as selling fakes, I've had personal dealings with (and turned over to Disney legal) and/or examined their pins. And the ones I list as "legit" I have looked at their pins, and with my own knowledge, determined the products they are selling are authentic. I don't know of any one person who is "The" Disney Pin expert or hired by Disney to be the "Pin Police", but I know much more than the casual (and even many serious) traders.

I gladly stand by everything I've posted on this thread and all others.

Could you please train me on what to look for so I could easily spot them? You seem to have a plethora of knowledge! :worship:

Could you please train me on what to look for so I could easily spot them? You seem to have a plethora of knowledge! :worship:

Thank you for the vote of confidence :lovestruc
The easiest way to tell a fake is to have an "authentic" pin next to one you think is fake. If you have the 2 the differences are clear on that pin and on future ones. I know many people don't have the luxury to have 2 of the same pin, or lucky enough to have one of each, but that is the easiest way.

You would be able to tell immediately by weight, this is the first thing I check. The authentic pins are much heavier and more "durable" than the fakes. The color is also "off" (not as bright/vivid) and the edges are not the as shiny.

On the contrary, the scrappers say the EXACT same thing on the back as the authentic pins do, which makes it really tough for the untrained eye to catch. I can tell you some of the "current" scrappers being distributed if that would help. They are all Cast lanyard pins (hidden Mickey's). The ones below are just a few to help you spot them in a "lot" they are certainly not a complete list.

1. Villains in crystal balls (specifically Maleficent, seen hundreds) they are purple, green, yellow and red (Maleficent, Ursula, Cruella & Hook)
2. Mickey footprints (haven't seen any fakes with the rest of the set (Minnie, Donald & Goofy)
3. Fastpasses (2nd version)
4. Tink teardrops (I think there are 12 in this series)
5. Disney silhouettes (mostly Pluto)
6. Princess rearview mirrors (mostly Cinderella)
7. Alice in Wonderland Pocketwatch (all characters)

That's all I can think of at the moment, will update as my memory refreshes :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter