Travel Disasters ??

I thought of another one...

It was June 1985. My brother was going on a 7-week service project with our HS to Mexico to work in an orphanage. They drove with their chaperones from PA to Mexico over a week, worked for 5-weeks and took a week to drive home. We went to the Mass at the school to celebrate their adventure and we were on the road to drive to DW around 10:00 that night.

Everything was great until we were in West Virginia, around 3:30 a.m., and my Mom tells my Dad that we're going to run out of gas and to let her know where she should pull off the state highway that we were on. Dad wanted to avoid the Washington DC Beltway because of the traffic. (like traffic is a major concern at 3:30 a.m.) Dad tells her that we can still go for quite a way on empty, so don't get off at this exit. You guessed it! We ran out of gas. Here we were, middle of the night on a not well traveled road, Mom, Dad and their 3 girls, stuck without knowing where we could even walk to get gas. Around 6-6:30, a trucker stopped and got gas for us and brought it back. My Dad wouldn't leave his women. We had enough to get us to the next exit where a gas station was open.

Mom has not trusted Dad since then about how much gas is in the tank and she still brings up, when she's running low, that maybe she should just keep going. There is plenty of gas left when the tank is on E.

It's one of our many funny stories that come up on holidays when we're all sitting around the table.

Thought of another one for me...

I was scheduled to fly home in 2013 from WDW the day after the Boston Marathon bombings. The morning of my flight I wake to a voice mail and emails that my first flight was cancelled (MCO to DFW), and that I was re-booked on a flight about 4 hours later. My connection in DFW was only going to be 25 minutes, so I was concerned, but not much I could do. I got things changed for DME and then since I had an AP headed to a park for a bit.

I eventually get to MCO via DME for my now later flight. I sit down at the gate and wait. And wait. And wait. And now, I am thinking the plane should be boarding, but there was no plane as of yet. I looked at the board and it is still showing on time, so I went to ask the gate agent (remember my connection was only 25 minutes). She said that the entire American Airlines system was down and that they did know where our plane was and would most liekly be one of the first to leave when it arrived. So I go back to sit down and see the news was now reporting about their massive system failure.

Eventually the system comes up and the plane arrives. I kind of contemplate going to ask if I could go to the gate 2 over from me that was flying to LAX direct (at least I would be in the general vicinity of home if I could get on that flight), but they were announcing ALL flights would be held for connections. So I boarded my flight to DFW and had an ok flight. Towards the end, they were announcing the gates for connections, but none for my airport. So I asked as did someone the row in front of me (also was supposed to be on the morning cancelled flight, same with some other women who had been on my outbound flights). This did not bode well.

So I get off the airplane and find the agent out there who gave me my "gate number" and did not say anything else about it, but told me to head there. I get to the gate and the plane was gone. They were not holding ALL flights as they had said earlier. I get in the line, but also grabbed the phone number to call AA to see what could be done. There were no additional flights to my home airport that night and the LAX one was leaving at like 11 PM and was already showing delayed, so I most likely would not arrive home until around 3 AM by the time I got a shuttle from LAX to where I live. That was just as bad an option as spending a night in Dallas and leaving the next morning. See I should have asked about the non stop while still at MCO. I was able to get the earliest flight home the next morning (got the last seat only because I had booked an extra leg room seat originally and this was an exit row seat). Then I had to call my boss to let her know I was not going to be there at my normal time the next morning, but around 10-11 AM most likely.

By the time, I took care of all that, I was at the podium where I was able to get a food voucher and a hotel voucher. I was told to call the number on the voucher and they would send a van to get me. So I get the bite to eat (was starving at this point) and then headed out and called the number on the voucher, except they do not send a van. So I got to wait in my next long line to get a taxi voucher to the hotel. I got to talking to the girl next to me in line. She was going to the same hotel as me. I was given a taxi voucher and she ended up with Super Shuttle. Well the super shuttle was there first, and so they needed 1 more person to fill it and she pointed me out to the driver and said get her, she is going to the same hotel. So in the van I went.

The van headed out and kept driving and driving. This one woman kept saying she was to be dropped off first and blah blah blah. She was not going to the same hotel as anyone else. In fact, I believe 5 of us were all going to the hotel I was going to. So we kept driving further and further. And more and more I am seeing signs about strip clubs. And then the driver pulls into the parking of the Dallas Gentleman's Club (or something like that) thinking it was the hotel lot, but that was around the corner. All the women in the van start shouting at the driver. Not sure if he thought he could leave us there and us all go across a big field or if he thought maybe he could off road the van, but if he had tried, there might have been a mutiny. Oh and it was the hotel I was assigned. The one woman was so peeved she was not dropped off first. Not sure what happened as I got my bag and headed in with the other people.

The hotel was definitely nothing to write home about. Clean - I guess. Near anything other than the gentleman's club - no. But it was late and I was exhausted, so it was pretty much to bed. I thankfully had my bag only because I did carry on only, so I had jammies and some toiletries. But nothing very clean, so I sniff tested to decide what was the cleanest to wear the next day. And off to bed I went to barely sleep.

The next morning I got a taxi to the airport and luckily got there in plenty of time. I also found out this hotel was closer to dallas Love Field than DFW - no wonder that van ride felt so long. My flight was still delayed about 1.5 hours, but I did get home. And after a shower and food, headed to work for about a half day. Came home and slept since I had not done much the night before.

For my troubles, i did end up with a decent voucher from AA when I contacted them. If only the original flight had not been cancelled, I would have got home that day. Oh and because of the voucher, I took another trip spring trip to WDW the following year which started the annual spring trip to go with the already established annual fall trip. But now, i go to LAX and always fly direct!

Not really a disaster but earlier this morning when we landed at 12:50 am in EWR from our Disneyland trip. Flight got in early but we waited over an hour for the bags to come out. First they said carousel 6 then it switched to 5 then back to 6 and then finally the bags came out on 7. It was just so frustrating as everyone was tired and 20 bags first came out then nothing for another 20 minutes. Then 2 bags came out, then nothing until they finally started to come out on carousel 7 an hour later. We didn't leave the airport until after 2:15 am. As we were trying to leave the long term parking lot and EZ pass gate was not opening and had to have an attendant come figure it out...that took over 15 minutes. So glad no one was behind us waiting to get out. Finally got home at 3:30 am.

MJ

Not really a disaster but earlier this morning when we landed at 12:50 am in EWR from our Disneyland trip. Flight got in early but we waited over an hour for the bags to come out. First they said carousel 6 then it switched to 5 then back to 6 and then finally the bags came out on 7. It was just so frustrating as everyone was tired and 20 bags first came out then nothing for another 20 minutes. Then 2 bags came out, then nothing until they finally started to come out on carousel 7 an hour later. We didn't leave the airport until after 2:15 am. As we were trying to leave the long term parking lot and EZ pass gate was not opening and had to have an attendant come figure it out...that took over 15 minutes. So glad no one was behind us waiting to get out. Finally got home at 3:30 am.

MJ
Ughh....and youre already (or still) awake!!!

Im not a fan of EWR. So much construction inside and the roads around. Have to admit its looking nice, but cant wait for it to be finished. I travel several times a year into there for work. Im from MA and sometimes think I should just drive it! My last trip, in January, was the first time I flew United out of there (Usually JB). I was sooo excited to see Earl of Sandwich! Reminded me of Disney :) I had a few minutes to spare and got a loaded potato. Sadly I only had time for a couple of bites and I had to run to the gate.

Im not a fan of EWR. So much construction inside and the roads around. Have to admit its looking nice, but cant wait for it to be finished. I travel several times a year into there for work. Im from MA and sometimes think I should just drive it! My last trip, in January, was the first time I flew United out of there (Usually JB). I was sooo excited to see Earl of Sandwich! Reminded me of Disney :) I had a few minutes to spare and got a loaded potato. Sadly I only had time for a couple of bites and I had to run to the gate.

Yes, but LGA is worse with construction so we do EWR. JFK is too far unless it is a really good deal. Speaking of Earl of Sandwich, that was our first lunch when we got to Disneyland last week! It was also our last lunch before we left lol!!

MJ

Not a disaster per say but: my first cruise was on NCL early 90's.
What I didn't realize was being on a ship on the ocean is VERY different from being on a river.
Omg I got so sea sick. My fiance was in Navy used to toss and turn thought it was amusing until I threw up on him.
Dramamine made me really sleep.
It was just not the romantic cruise.
My boo also didn't understand that not everything was free and had a cow of how much he spent cause someone didn't want to listen to me.

Police emergency closed the highway. 8 hours to move 17 miles. Ate the cost of our hotel reservation.

Were there any highway exits in those 17 miles? No viable alternate route? How did you handle it if nature called during those 8 hours?

Several years ago we were driving I-95 south to I-26 east to get to Charleston, SC when a major backup happened. Fortunately we were only about a mile from the exit to Myrtle Beach. It took about 20 minutes to get to that exit and according to the GPS the accident was still about 5 miles ahead. We drove to Myrtle Beach instead and then picked up US 17 south to get to Charleston.

Not sure if we saved any time overall, but at least we weren't stuck in traffic for long.

Speaking of Earl of Sandwich, that was our first lunch when we got to Disneyland last week! It was also our last lunch before we left lol!!

MJ
See, you dont need to go to Disneyland, just vacation at EWR!

Best airport I have been to is Charlotte NC. Unfortunately I had no idea and didnt plan a long layover, but I could spend hours in there shopping and eating! Its a destination all in itself!

About 8 years ago my sister and I were scheduled to fly from Louisville to Erie, PA for a wedding Memorial Day weekend. It is only a 9 hour drive, but since it was just for 2 nights, we decided to fly and save the time. Big mistake.

We were scheduled to fly Louisville to Detroit to Erie. Our first leg of our flight was cancelled, so they switched us to a flight to Philly that would then have a connection to Erie. We get to Philly and our flight to Erie is delayed with no ETA for taking off. We went to the desk and got switched to a flight to Buffalo, NY that landed in enough time for us to hightail it to the wedding. When I went online to change the rental car from Erie to Buffalo, the price quadrupled because it was considered a one way rental instead of round trip. So, we got on the phone and changed our return flight to leave from Buffalo too. The flight to Buffalo ended up being delayed and we missed the wedding, but were able to be there for most of the reception.

Going home we were going to Buffalo to Philly to Louisville. The first leg took off without issue. We got to Philly and the flight to Louisville was cancelled. The only way for us to get home that night was to fly to Atlanta and then take another flight back up to Louisville. So, we did that and both legs (Philly to Atlanta and Atlanta to Louisville) were delayed, but we did finally get home that night and didn't have to miss work the next day.

In all, we spent WAY more than 18 hours traveling and we should have just driven.

About 8 years ago my sister and I were scheduled to fly from Louisville to Erie, PA for a wedding Memorial Day weekend. It is only a 9 hour drive, but since it was just for 2 nights, we decided to fly and save the time. Big mistake.

We were scheduled to fly Louisville to Detroit to Erie. Our first leg of our flight was cancelled, so they switched us to a flight to Philly that would then have a connection to Erie. We get to Philly and our flight to Erie is delayed with no ETA for taking off. We went to the desk and got switched to a flight to Buffalo, NY that landed in enough time for us to hightail it to the wedding. When I went online to change the rental car from Erie to Buffalo, the price quadrupled because it was considered a one way rental instead of round trip. So, we got on the phone and changed our return flight to leave from Buffalo too. The flight to Buffalo ended up being delayed and we missed the wedding, but were able to be there for most of the reception.

Going home we were going to Buffalo to Philly to Louisville. The first leg took off without issue. We got to Philly and the flight to Louisville was cancelled. The only way for us to get home that night was to fly to Atlanta and then take another flight back up to Louisville. So, we did that and both legs (Philly to Atlanta and Atlanta to Louisville) were delayed, but we did finally get home that night and didn't have to miss work the next day.

In all, we spent WAY more than 18 hours traveling and we should have just driven.
WOW...That is TERRIBLE! What a disaster!!!!

So, my husband plans a surprise birthday trip for me. It's to Toronto, which to us Michiganders, is no biggie. Most of us grew up going to Canada all the time - no problem. So, it's not all that surprising that he didn't check to make sure I had my passport up-to-date. Spoiler alert - I didn't.

In a similar vein, some friends of ours had a friend of their's (an Australian native) stay with them for a few days during a several week tour he was making of the US. They offered him use of their free laundry facilties while he was camping out in their apartment, and he happily took advantage of the offer. Unfortunately, he forgot to remove his passport from his pants pocket. His sister's wedding was scheduled for just a few days later in Australia. He didn't make it.

Last edited:
I've got one, it's taken a couple years, but I can tell it now without cringing :oops: Warning, not for delicate ears, but will be a great laugh for those of you that understand:rotfl:It is also a bit long, so consider yourselves warned!

My DH, two DS and in-laws have spent many spring breaks in Marathon, FL. Work was crazy at the time, so I felt I shouldn't go, but ended up going and flying back home to Detroit Wednesday instead of Saturday with the rest of the family. That morning, the westger channel were discussing the crazy intense storms across half the country, and how ATL was closed off and on due to the storms. I was flying FTL to ATL, then to DTW. I thought about calling Southwest to reschedule for the next day, but figured the airport would have cleared the backlog by that evening, so decide to leave that afternoon anyway. :rolleyes1

I have become a woman "of a certain age", so things are never regular for me; I take supplies at all times in case of emergency. Something started, of course the day I'm flying home, so I pack a few supplies in my carryon, and the the majority in my checked luggage since I'll be home before everything gets too heavy. I drive the rental car from Marathon back to Fort Lauderdale airport rental return. Who knew there are NO gas stations to refuel rental cars near the airport? :confused3 Drove through rush hour trying to find a gas station, couldn't find one. Help! It's about 90 minutes before my flight leaves the gate, it's the witching hour, and I still couldn't find a station. Return the car on empty, and beg the return vehicle attendant not to overcharge me to fill the tank. He says "he will take care of me", so I throw who knows how much money at him and race to the obscenely long security line. Make it through security, and basically run from security to my gate, where I am one of the last to board.

We leave the gate, but are not allowed to take off because of the thunderstorms going on everywhere, and delayed flights were slowly landing, so the runways were not available for us. We are supposed to stay in our seats and not get up at all, which I really needed to do because of leakage issues:eek: A hour later, we are finally taking off, and I am able to take care of things, which are a bit heavier than anticipated. The flight was a bit eventful; we flew around the storms, and could see the lightning all around us! I am looking at my watch, realizing it's going to be very tight for me to make my connecting flight. We land in Atlanta and arrive at our gate 10 minutes after my connecting flight getting me home took off. Its about 10pm. I go take care of business again, and rush over to a Southwest service counter, which has a line of about forty people. I was not the only person to miss my flight. I stand in line for about five hours, waiting to talk to an agent, who went from two agents assisting to one, and were having computer issues because of all the canceled flights from earlier. While in line, I call Southwest customer service, who tell me the only way I can get another flight is to physically talk to an agent, not just on the phone. Huh?:confused3 Is that idiotic or what? I finally get to the front of the line about 3am, where they tell me the next available flight to Detroit is on Friday afternoon, and there are no available hotels anywhere in the area. Remember, this is 3am Thursday morning, so I would be stuck at the airport for 36+ hours. I have the agent check all nearby airports, Flint, nope, Lansing, nope, Toledo, nope, Cleveland, nope, Grand Rapids, nope, wait, there is ONE seat through Baltimore to Grand Rapids leaving at 9:30am! Great! I`'ll take it!:worship:

Being about 4am by this time, I am exhausted. I hit the restroom to take care of things, and see I am almost out of supplies, which is not good, as things have gotten progressively heavier, with lots of cramping. It really stinks being a woman! I wander around the airport, grabbing a Delta airline red blanket for warmth. I call my parents about 9am, and ask if they mind picking me up at the Grand Rapids airport about 3pm. As they are puppy sitting for me it's no problem for them. The shops open at ATL, and I purchase a few more supplies, although not strong enough for my situation.

I board the flight to BWI, which leaves without incident. Halfway through the flight, I feel a gush:scared: I go to the restroom, and try to clean up things as best I can. The supplies I have are no match for my situation. Landing in Baltimore, I rush straight to a restroom. I am wearing a long skirt, which looks like an axe murderer used it for cleaning his hands. I end up using baby wipes to clean up as much as I can and wrap the red Delta blanket around my waist like a sarong to cover my axe murderer skirt. The flight to Grand Rapids was smooth and relatively short, and I was never so happy to see my parents (with clean clothing in hand) (and my puppy) in my life! My wonderful parents drove me to Detroit Friday afternoon to get my car at the parking lot, and I arrived home, with dog in tow, the same time I would have had I waited in Atlanta for the direct flight.

Thank you for sticking with me:flower1: Morals of the story, 1) always bring more supplies than you think you'll need; 2) when storms cover half the country, always reschedule if possible; 3) don't cut a trip short so you can go back to work, and 4) fill your gas tank before you get near an airport!

PS. I still have the red Delta blanket:teeth:

In a similar vein, some friends of ours had a friend of their's (an Australian native) stay with them for a few days during a several week tour he was making of the US. They offered him use of their free laundry facilties while he was camping out in their apartment, and he happily took advantage of the offer. Unfortunately, he forgot to remove his passport from his pants pocket. His sister's wedding was scheduled for just a few days later in Australia. He didn't make it.
OMG. That is awful :(

I was reading your minor and thinking thats not so minor until I got to the end...then yes, it seemed minor! Ughhh....sorry about your leg, but if youre going to break it, Boston is the place to do it! Best hospitals evah !!
Ah, not just any hospital, though. The only reason I agreed was that it was MGH. I was afraid they were going to make me go to my regular hospital, not that there's anything wrong with that :)
Around 6-6:30, a trucker stopped and got gas for us and brought it back. My Dad wouldn't leave his women. We had enough to get us to the next exit where a gas station was open.
If this happened more recently - last 20 or so years - I'd swear he'd seen Breakdown.
I was sooo excited to see Earl of Sandwich! Reminded me of Disney :)
Um, did you know there's one right on the Common?

We live 10 miles away, so that’s our airport. When DH has to go to Boston for work, he usually finds driving is the fastest way, but he took Amtrak the last trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter