travel insurance for the year

nycdisneygal

I went ahead and signed up for another kid!
Rather than coverage for each trip I know there are people who do coverage for a year. We are traveling a lot this year so this may be a good option. ANyone have any info or advice?

Rather than coverage for each trip I know there are people who do coverage for a year. We are traveling a lot this year so this may be a good option. ANyone have any info or advice?

Just do research. What I found for the annual plans was that the medical evacuation stuff wasn't high enough. Not that I ever plan that would happen, but it's nice to have.

Just do research. What I found for the annual plans was that the medical evacuation stuff wasn't high enough. Not that I ever plan that would happen, but it's nice to have.
I did a double take seeing $20k Emergency Medical coverage listed on the Allianz lower annual plans. That's a nope for me!

I did a double take seeing $20k Emergency Medical coverage listed on the Allianz lower annual plans. That's a nope for me!
Well, you probably should check what any other insurance you have covers first. No need to buy double coverage.

>If you paid for your entire trip on the same credit card, the credit card provider may give you coverage for free.

>If you have group health insurance, check what it covers. As far back as I can remember my work group insurance covered you out of the country and medical evacuation since travel could be part of your job assignment.

>If you are on Medicare, know that Medicare does NOT cover you outside the country. But if you have a Medigap policy, check that. Mine covers 80% of all medical bills and medical evacuation outside the U.S.

> And of course, consider whether medical evacuation coverage is necessary. In my case, all my cruises have been in the Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii and the Western U.S. Coast where, as a U.S. Citizen, the U.S. Coast Guard would handle the evacuation, and they don't charge for that service. I have only observed 3 medical evacuations in 44 years of cruising, all in the Caribbean, and all three were performed by the U.S. Coast Guard.

And of course, consider whether medical evacuation coverage is necessary. In my case, all my cruises have been in the Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii and the Western U.S. Coast where, as a U.S. Citizen, the U.S. Coast Guard would handle the evacuation, and they don't charge for that service. I have only observed 3 medical evacuations in 44 years of cruising, all in the Caribbean, and all three were performed by the U.S. Coast Guard.

If you're on the ship but what happens if you are in port and can't get back on the ship. They are coming to get you in another country.

Also plenty of reason to have more than $20k in med coverage if you are leaving the country regardless of what your insurance covers in Europe, Asia etc.

If you're on the ship but what happens if you are in port and can't get back on the ship. They are coming to get you in another country.

Also plenty of reason to have more than $20k in med coverage if you are leaving the country regardless of what your insurance covers in Europe, Asia etc.
One rescue was on the ship. The other two were on the private islands on the Bahamas. A friend was on a HAL ship almost half way to Hawaii from San Diego and the Coast Guard sent TWO helicopters and a refueling fixed wing aircraft to rescue him when his appendix burst. Flew him to San Francisco, no charge. Oh, they told him they sent two helicopters in case one crashed! ABC World News did a story on the rescue.

I also have a year long policy through Allianz. Starts this Sunday when we leave for our first cruise of the year. I added additional evacuation coverage -- two cruises this year -- and paid $680 for the year for three adults. It's my first time having a year long policy. Hopefully I won't have to use it.
Checked Allianz. cant figure out why the premier plan is coming out to be cheaper than the basic!!

Checked Allianz. cant figure out why the premier plan is coming out to be cheaper than the basic!!
Oh my gosh. I wouldn't be able to figure that out either -- my basic plan was cheaper than my yearly, but not by a whole lot. Maybe because of the ages of the people or perhaps because of the costs of your travel associated with the basic plan?

No idea there was such a thing as 'annual' coverage. Clearly insurance companies want to take in more in premiums then they payout in claims, they are in business to make money. Do they specify how many trips are covered since if you travel a LOT seems like their risk would be higher? Always read the fine print to see what is actually covered. I recall older threads where people bought trip insurance and later found out various things were not covered even though they assumed it would be.

I just bought an annual plan through GeoBlue. It is a secondary plan, but they will process the claims and look to the primary to collect. It covers an unlimited number of trips but there is a limit on the duration of an individual trip. This is a medical only plan IIRC.

We bought the more basic plan with higher deductible/less coverage as we felt it was adequate. Up to $250,000 repatriation/$500,000 coverage pp. Had a BIL who had to use a MedJet back from St. Martin (?) to Ft. Lauderdale area after pulmonary embolisms. It was around $25,000 several years ago.

I’m pretty skeptical as they all seem to require authorization.How many places are there really that can’t treat what you have come down with. They aren’t going to MedEvac you just because you prefer dealing with your own doctors from home. There are policies that will help pay expenses for non-hospitalized companions if that is important to you.

We have been blessed to travel a lot. Had a couple health issues. Our son got a stress fracture in Ireland. It was 40 Euro for doctor visit and X-ray. Pain meds were less than 10. I had a terrible sinus infection in Sicily. Doctor didn’t charge me and the Zithromax rx was a few Euros. You do want coverage but most countries have less expensive health care than the US.

Last edited:
No idea there was such a thing as 'annual' coverage. Clearly insurance companies want to take in more in premiums then they payout in claims, they are in business to make money. Do they specify how many trips are covered since if you travel a LOT seems like their risk would be higher? Always read the fine print to see what is actually covered. I recall older threads where people bought trip insurance and later found out various things were not covered even though they assumed it would be.
The number of trips doesn't matter its exceeding the policy limits of coverage for the year policy. I had a kidney stone last year while at WDW and if I didn't have my year policy it would have never been a trip I would have bought insurance for as we go about every 6 weeks for long weekends. We live in South Florida so its 3 hours away. I thought I was dying the pain was so bad I went to the hospital in celebration. My bill ended up costing me a little over $6k after my health insurance negotiated rates. I have a high deductible plan where my deductible is $7k so I was responsible for the whole bill. I submitted it to Allianz since I was traveling when it occurred with the bill from WDW to show that we were out of town and they paid it no problem once I provided all the documentation they requested. I mainly purchased it because of cruising and now I will never not have a yearly travel insurance policy in place. We travel about once a month and its nice to know we are covered. Its was $1450 for 6 of us this year on the policy, right now with my reimbursement last year I am ahead in reimbursements vs what I have paid for the policy.

The number of trips doesn't matter its exceeding the policy limits of coverage for the year policy. I had a kidney stone last year while at WDW and if I didn't have my year policy it would have never been a trip I would have bought insurance for as we go about every 6 weeks for long weekends. We live in South Florida so its 3 hours away. I thought I was dying the pain was so bad I went to the hospital in celebration. My bill ended up costing me a little over $6k after my health insurance negotiated rates. I have a high deductible plan where my deductible is $7k so I was responsible for the whole bill. I submitted it to Allianz since I was traveling when it occurred with the bill from WDW to show that we were out of town and they paid it no problem once I provided all the documentation they requested. I mainly purchased it because of cruising and now I will never not have a yearly travel insurance policy in place. We travel about once a month and its nice to know we are covered. Its was $1450 for 6 of us this year on the policy, right now with my reimbursement last year I am ahead in reimbursements vs what I have paid for the policy.
Yep. The deductible and policy limits are generally cumulative over the life of the policy—one year.

I just bought an annual plan through GeoBlue. It is a secondary plan, but they will process the claims and look to the primary to collect. It covers an unlimited number of trips but there is a limit on the duration of an individual trip. This is a medical only plan IIRC.

We bought the more basic plan with higher deductible/less coverage as we felt it was adequate. Up to $250,000 repatriation/$500,000 coverage pp. Had a BIL who had to use a MedJet back from St. Martin (?) to Ft. Lauderdale area after pulmonary embolisms. It was around $25,000 several years ago.

I’m pretty skeptical as they all seem to require authorization.How many places are there really that can’t treat what you have come down with. They aren’t going to MedEvac you just because you prefer dealing with your own doctors from home. There are policies that will help pay expenses for non-hospitalized companions if that is important to you.

We have been blessed to travel a lot. Had a couple health issues. Our son got a stress fracture in Ireland. It was 40 Euro for doctor visit and X-ray. Pain meds were less than 10. I had a terrible sinus infection in Sicily. Doctor didn’t charge me and the Zithromax rx was a few Euros. You do want coverage but most countries have less expensive health care than the US.
Everything is secondary or just medical?

One of the worst mistakes my grandparents made was losing a suitcase and claiming it on their homeowners insurance. This mistake was so bad the lesson was passed down 2 generations. Their insurance was hiked extra for years after because they now had a history of a claim. That was back in the ‘90s, imagining the extra they could hike it in today’s market sends shudders down my spine.

Last edited:
So it sounds more like an annual 'not to exceed' amount of payouts. So if you don't travel a lot, how does that cost compare to buying insurance for a single vacation?

Everything is secondary or just medical?

One of the worst mistakes my grandparents made was losing a suitcase and claiming it on their homeowners insurance. This was mistake was so bad the lesson was passed down 2 generations. Their insurance was hiked extra for years after because they now had a history of a claim. That was back in the ‘90s, imagining the extra they could hike it in today’s market sends shudders down my spine.
There is no ”travel” insurance only medical on this particular policy. I know they offer one with travel insurance benefits but I’m not sure on whether it is primary or secondary. The policy does require the policyholder have a primary medical policy which is met by Medicare. We have Part G Supplemental coverage. I’m not worried about covering the value of lost/delayed bags or even an extra night’s hotel and meals if I cannot get reimbursed from the airline in case of delay.

DH and I have become insurance weary. We are hesitant to make a claim for fear of increased premiums, except for health insurance which is going to go up regardless of claims, so we try to have a policy which just protects us against catastrophic loss.

So it sounds more like an annual 'not to exceed' amount of payouts. So if you don't travel a lot, how does that cost compare to buying insurance for a single vacation?
A single trip was less expensive, $90 vs.$250 for us. We are in good health so didn’t feel the need for more coverage. We have three trips planned this year. Plus will likely visit the DD in Canada.

BTW, we are on Medicare with Part G so this is a foreign countries only policy. Not sure what they offer for domestic travel as we didn’t look into it.

A single trip was less expensive, $90 vs.$250 for us. We are in good health so didn’t feel the need for more coverage. We have three trips planned this year. Plus will likely visit the DD in Canada.

BTW, we are on Medicare with Part G so this is a foreign countries only policy. Not sure what they offer for domestic travel as we didn’t look into it.
I just checked, and I was mistaken saying my Medicare part G covers 80% of medical costs in foreign countries. It covers 100% after a $250 deductible. It is printed right on the front of the card, DUH!

I recall older threads where people bought trip insurance and later found out various things were not covered even though they assumed it would be.

or a routine trip to the doctor's office during the 'look back' period prior to the trip can cause something to be deemed pre-existing and uncovered. we ran into this when our kids were young. they had check-ups that happened to fall under 30 days prior to travel. during the appointments the doctor of course looked at their ears. just shy of a month later we fly across the country to orlando and the kids arrive with clogged up ears. no biggie, we figured it would resolve itself. nope-ended up having to go to a walk in clinic near wdw and ended up with scrips for both. travel insurance used the check-up ear look-see to deny all reimbursement.

If you have group health insurance, check what it covers. As far back as I can remember my work group insurance covered you out of the country and medical evacuation since travel could be part of your job assignment.

also check to see if that coverage is ONLY good on verified work travel.

as well check to see if any coverage away from home (and any provider network you may belong to) is strictly for 'emergent care' cuz the insurance company decides what they consider an emergency not the patient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter