Traveling with a ventilator?

biancamouse

Earning My Ears
My 10 yr. old son is both physically and mentally handicapped. He is confined to a wheelchair and very recently has become vent dependent. We had hoped that he would use the vent only at night and be on oxygen during the day, but so far that is not the case. Although we are hoping for an improvement, it may be a while for that to happen.

We have been to Disney five times in the past, but have never had to travel with oxygen and a vent. We have what is called a portable vent, but we have not ventured out with it yet.

Disney has always been such a lift to his spirits and everytime we take him we see an improvement in him, so I am already fantacizing about taking him there. So now to my question, has anyone had any experience or know anything about going to Disney with a portable vent? ANY help would be appreciated.

I go to Disney all the time with my portable vent, a feeding pump, and a service dog...sometimes solo, so ask any questions you might have. :-) ---Kathy

I go everywhere with my vent and recently took a road trip to San Diego. First, what type of vent & how long is the battery? I would take extra batteries :) Our last vacation I had a suction machine, vent, and feeding pump. I think with a GAC, you should be fine-tell the CMs battery constraints. I'd be glad to share what's worked best for us...Ask away!

Christamae

Thank you both for responding. I guess in general, I'd like to know what kinds of rides you go on.

For instance at MK his favorites are Peter Pan and Pirates and I can't imagine that we could go on those. I'm pretty sure Jungle Cruise would be OK as would all the shows. What about Haunted Mansion? Pooh? Snow White? Also he loves Buzz Lightyear, is there any way to go on it?

He is on 3 liters of oxygen with his vent and we would most likely use his electric wheelchair. His battery lasts for 10 hours, and we do have a backup.

Do you have any advise or suggestions to give for when we decide to take him back to Disney? Thanks for your words of wisdom!

My mom and Dad built a very special tray for my chair slides when I tip but otherwise only sticks out about 1 inch. Jungle Cruise has a wheelchair accessible boat but you must request it. Pooh has a wheelchair accessible car that is spacey. Buzz Lightyear has a wheelchair accessible car but unless they've remodeled it-it doesn't fit longer chairs. There isn't a wheelchair car for Haunted Mansion but there is a transfer car with a special bench and they can stop the ride-you may have to be a little pushy & remind them to stop it when you get off. I'm afraid they don't stop Peter Pan-I stopped riding that after our first trip...

Here is a list of all the wheelchair accessible (direct drive on-stay in your chair) attractions:

When the map says ECVs must transfer-it is talking about the 3 wheeled scooters or the chairs Disney rents NOT electric wheelchairs. Here is a list of rides that you can drive your wheelchair directly onto without transferring, sorted by park:

Magic Kingdom---

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: (note-this ride doesn't fit all electric chairs--my standard Invacare Action electric wheelchair didn't fit-and the shooter is hard to reach, especially with contractures)

Stitches Great Escape (note-the bars that come down on the shoulders could be painful, especially if they are drawn up like mine-I haven’t ridden it-this ride has got a lot of bad reviews)

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Takes you through several classic scenes-awesome-easy access)

it’s a small world (easy access)

Liberty Belle Riverboat (Tour around a lake with some props and animatronics-kinda long-chair sits below level of bars, partially blocking view)

Main Street U.S.A.-Railroad-steam train ride (I loved it. Round trip is best, there are scenes along the way.)

Jungle Cruise (recently converted)

The Magic Carpets of Aladdin (too short for some chairs)

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows are wheelchair accessible. There are always spaces for wheelchairs with seats for family members adjoining
(Storytime with Belle, etc. all children sit on the floor up front)

Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island are impossible for wheelchairs (you can do a roundtrip on the raft that goes to Tom Sawyer Island)

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM, they're marked on a map-nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

Epcot—

Ellen’s Energy Adventure (easily accessible-cute Jeapordy style beginning that then takes you back in time to Dinosaurs)

Journey Into Your Imagination (easily accessible-really cute/fun ride with a fully accessible interactive special effects playground afterwards)

Living with the Land (informational tour about various climates and agriculture)

El Rio Del Tiempo (accessible-boat ride tour of Mexico)

The Living Seas-Nemo & Turtle Talk!! (all areas accessible, although some areas may have alternate access. At your own pace viewing of a live sea aquarium and the new Crush attraction)

The World Showcase (all areas accessible, although some areas may have alternate access)

Street shows are hard to see unless you arrive a little early to sit in front

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows (including Innoventions) are wheelchair accessible (*note: The Kid cot fun stop crafts will be difficult to do unless you have a tray on your wheelchair because the table and chairs are low and the supplies are scattered)

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM--- nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

MGM Studios—

Great Movie Ride (note-this ride doesn't fit all wheelchairs-my standard Invacare action electric wheelchair didn't fit and I had to ride sideways)

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows are wheelchair accessible

MGM has a lot of good shows-especially action/stunts--all with wheelchair seating

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM-—nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

Animal Kingdom-

Wildlife Express Train (train that shows you how Disney cares for their animals and takes you to the Conservation Station-may have to back on)

Triceratop Spin (note: I never rode this ride and I am not sure if it accommodates electric wheelchairs or just manual ones)

Kilimanjaro Safaris (mild thrill ride with a guide that drives you through authentic habitats to view real exotic animals-best experienced in the morning. Note: This ride is bumpy. You may need to back in to the ride vehicle.)

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows are wheelchair accessible (*only parts of the Boneyard. *Conservation is listed as accessible but I didn’t visit it.)

All the nature trails are accessible and have beautiful wildlife. There are many exhibits-a few viewing areas are a little difficult to get to.

The parade has a special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM

Their are plenty wheelchair accessible rides and awesome shows. Always carefully weigh out the risks of transferring.

Remember all shows are wheelchair accessible-don't miss the nighttime shows-especially Fantasmic-and don't miss Festival of the Lion King.

If there is anyway he can transfer, I would do it for Soarin’ in Epcot. The ride is awesome. Even I was able to do it. You can pull your chair right up to seat and the movements of the ride are smooth. You may be able to hold the vent on your lap (may be true for other rides). I wouldn't do it unless he can breathe a few minutes on his own...

Have a great trip!

Christamae

eternaldisneyfan said:
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: (note-this ride doesn't fit all electric chairs--my standard Invacare Action electric wheelchair didn't fit-and the shooter is hard to reach, especially with contractures)

Christamae
Funny the DW's Invacare Arrow fits just fine. The shooter is hard to reach though like you say.

eternaldisneyfan said:
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin (too short for some chairs).........

Triceratop Spin (note: I never rode this ride and I am not sure if it accommodates electric wheelchairs or just manual ones)
My DD has ridden on both Aladdin and Triceraptop spin in her manual wheelchair. They appeared to be pretty much the same basic car with different themeing. My guess is that if the Magic carpets of Aladdin is too short for some chairs, Tricerptop Spin would be similar.
pugdog said:
Funny the DW's Invacare Arrow fits just fine. The shooter is hard to reach though like you say.
One of the other young ladies in my DD's dance class had an Invacare Action. I never really compared hers to my DD's Invacare Arrow very carefully, but the Action seemed to be a bit bigger to me.

My chair would probably fit on those attractions, but not the chair with the vent attached, so alot would depend on the OP's type of vent..how large it is and where it is positioned. Also if it's one of the flat-type vents, as long as someone can be transferred while another person holds the vent/tubing, then somoene could access more of the rides. ---kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter