Traveller's cheques, Credit card, cash?

chico

keeping a low profile
How do you tend to pay for things during your stays at Disney World?

Last time down was a short stay and we charged everything to the credit card and paid it off back at home. Some cash for food and souviners etc.

This time we're there for 8 days - can't decide which route to go. Are there pros or cons to using travellers cheques in WDW? Has anyone had trouble cashing them?

I know credit is king - but it can be hard to stick to a daily budget, especiallly with charging and sending everything back to the hotel!! If I'm not carrying it, I'm afraid I'll forget how much I spent! LOL! : )

What works for you?

:confused:

We take most in Traveller's Cheques and carry some cash (initially a little, and then whatever we get as change from the TCs). We have credit cards also which we'll use if it is more convenient, e.g. bigger purchase or we need TCs later that day, but in general it is TCs that we use first and foremost. No problem with them being accepted in WDW so far. They don't even ask for ID. I have been asked for ID in the department stores in the Malls though, but overall never a problem.

John :bounce:

We used a mix of cash and credit with most things being on credit so we can collect the points. Cash tends to be used for food (especially if we're eating with others) and other small items. We only carry enough cash for each day and the rest is left in the room safe.

Usually we do Travelers Cheques and CC and a little cash...

This time is all cash for food, souvies and the like...CC for the hotel and rental only...

I have hears about people at WDW using your CC number to make a second card then you are stuck...

Just nervous I guess but cash it is...Most of our trip is paid for and we split the cash between the 2 of us and use the hotel safe also.

BUT...I do recommend travelers cheques...I just don't have the time to go buy them:crazy:

We try to use cash and TC because we get our US money from a currency broker where we get a much better rate then the bank or the credit card company. It is also nice to come home knowing that there will not be big bills waiting for us. We are doing the Cdn at par package so that is going on the Visa card but will be paid off before we leave. At the hotel we will give them our CC but at the end of the stay we pay off our bill with TC. Only thing that will be going on the credit card might be hotels on the drive (we are driving from Ontario.) And any unexpected purchases, but even then we are pretty good about resisting if we can't pay cash.

We used credit cards, cash and traveller's cheques. With TC, you can replace them if you lost them. I never had a problem using TC at WDW. They were treated as cash.

We use a mix of all three ... Usually for things around the park, we use the room key to do a lot of the charging. Haven't had a problem yet using traveler's cheques at the park...

We use TC's and cash only once in a very short while do we break out the CC's. We have never run into any problems using TC's anywhere down there it is almost as though they are just as common as cash go figure one of the largest tourist areas in the world. We used our Amex back in 98 for everything when they actually gave you a decent discount for using it then Amex pulled the plug on that one and since Disney has dropped Amex as the prefered card of WDW. We use the cash for gas on the drive down and back and small incidentals nacs and coffee etc during the drive.

I like a combination of the three. TC are easy to use in WDW but cash is nice too. I keep a bit on hand for little things.

We just came back, and used mostly TC, I had a little cash for the first few days and whatever change I got back from cashing the TC's, it was very easy to budget this way, I would only take so much with me each day and leave the rest in the hotel safe. I only used the CC on the last day when I still had a few things I wanted to buy and was running short on money, plus it was nice to know it was there in case of an emergency.
Jennifer

be aware that the exchange rate using CC is much worse than cash. Spending US$1000 by using cash will be cheaper than using US$1000 by CC by at least CAD$30.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter