Two Germans Dine Disney in Europe ... FINISHED!

Can't believe I missed your last update of DLP the rabbit is rabbit from Winnie the pooh!

Love the cruise update can't wait for more! X

Thank you for reading along! Yes, now that you say it, it is pretty obvious that that was Pooh's Rabbit :sad2:

Yay the cruise reviews have started :cool1:

Really looking forward to reading along, everything looks yummy so far

I hope you don't skip too many desserts though :rotfl:

Don't fret, there will be some desserts along the way! :thumbsup2

By the way, I've seen in your signature that you will be sailing on the Fantasy soon - will that be your first Disney cruise, or have you sailed with them before? In any case, I envy you, I would love to see one of the new ships!

I've only just seen your TR. Wow it all looked fantastic and its great to see and indepth dining report. Looking forward to reading more about the Cruise. Oh and thanks for the Manhattan review. I think thats going to be our first night meal for our honeymoon trip :goodvibes

Day at Sea

a91daa2f.jpg

Today was a sea day – no stopping at a port, no running around on excursions, just glorious lazing around on a beautiful ship in the middle of the ocean :lovestruc.

After sleeping in, I spent the rest of the morning at a spa appointment, and then rejoined DH for a spot of lunch (I know, it's a tough life being on vacation … ;)).

There are different possibilities for having lunch on the ship, and we decided on the buffet at Parrot Cay Restaurant. If I am not mistaken, there is a different buffet theme every day – today was supposedly Asian, yet there were still lots of western things to be had for not-so-adventurous eaters.

I really like this restaurant since it seems so nicely laid back and island-ish.

a7075c3f.jpg

A bit like the Enchanted Tiki Room, isn't it?

The downside is that it is rather dark in here and the light is quite yellow-tinged, so it’s really difficult to get good food pictures (at least for a clueless camera user like myself :upsidedow). Therefore I apologize for the poor photo quality!

So, here goes:

8854f0e5.jpg

6e13b7d4.jpg

69253340.jpg

… and especially for Linda67, there was no skipping of desserts today! ;)

3611024a.jpg

d06b0329.jpg

In the evening we had a dinner reservation at Palo, the specialty restaurant featuring Northern Italian cuisine. Our reservation was a bit before sunset time, so the light was absolutely magical when we received our drinks and antipasti.

1b5a6fc7.jpg

The antipasti are served from a little cart and include Prosciutto, Bresaola (which I admit I had to look up on the internet: it is air-dried, salted beef), Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, marinated olives and sun-dried tomatoes, served with a selection of infused oils and aged balsamic vinegar. A wonderful start to our meal!

This was our bread basket:

751523b3.jpg

Freshly baked in Palo’s own pizza oven, there were Grissini sticks, olive and Ciabatta rolls and Focaccia bread. I wish I could have tried them all as they looked so good, but I preferred to leave more room for all the other goodies yet to come.

… goodies such as these:

8621c8d6.jpg

Fritto di Calamari (lightly-crusted Calamari served with deep-fried cherry peppers), a very yummy appetizer that we shared.

After that our server (Nergis from Turkey! :hug:) brought out the pasta course. We hadn't really known what to choose and had therefore been happy to go with her recommendations: half a portion each of her two favourite Palo pasta dishes.

388702ca.jpg

Gnocchi di patate con Gorgonzola e Asparagi - Potato Gnocchi served with Gorgonzola Sauce and Asparagus.
Bit blurry picture, but great taste! Very rich though, we were incredibly glad only to have ordered half a serving.

Our second pasta dish:

9048f463.jpg

Lobster and Mascarpone Ravioli with a light Truffle Burro Bianco.
Not so light, really, but rather rich. Again, a very good recommendation but glad to be having the smaller portion.

Sunset was in full swing by now:

9ffccc6c.jpg

Very romantic … :love:

Probably less romantic, but by no means less glorious: Our main course!

6cb7d843.jpg

Just like on our last cruise, we both decided on the Beef Tenderloin "Palo" which is served with a choice of Barolo Red Wine Sauce or Gorgonzola Sauce … or, in my case, with both because I couldn't make up my mind :thumbsup2. (Just for the record, though: I definitely preferred the red wine sauce.)
Oh, and did I mention how even though it was beef, it looked much more like a fish? :)

For dessert, there are several options available at Palo - but only one of them is their signature dessert: the Chocolate Souffle with Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Sauce.
It takes about half an hour to prepare, so you are asked pretty early during the course of your meal whether you would like to have it. On our last cruise we had declined, and I almost felt that our server was a bit disappointed that we would forgo this specialty.

This time, therefore, not wanting to disappoint Nergis, we did order one to share:

f8173a27.jpg

This is total chocolate indulgence. I am afraid that I may go against all Palo tradition by saying we did not care for it overmuch, but unfortunately it's true. After all that wonderful food, this was simply too sweet, and too much, and too rich, so we both just had a few spoonfuls of it. Sorry Nergis! :thumbsup2 But at least now we can say we have tried it!

Coming up next: Day 3, with Parrot Cay Island Dinner …

this is the best looking thing I have EVER seen in my life! I would love this! I am a chocolate nutter though :jumping1:

I know, I'm a bit weird for not falling head over heels for this - from what I've heard, everyone else loves it!

Malta Day

What a beautiful day – the weather was gorgeous, we were going to Malta, and it was still only the third day of our vacation :goodvibes.

A view of Valletta Harbour while we approached it early in the morning – probably the most beautiful sight I have yet seen from the deck of a cruise ship, especially as we got closer and closer and finally proceeded to sail right in, with fisherman cheering from the docks:

fcf2a24b.jpg

We spent most of the day on Malta, exploring Valletta and the Hypogeum (a 5000-year old underground temple for which I had had to book tickets months before because they only let in 10 people per hour. It was so worth it!)

Later in the afternoon, when we were back on board and had found ourselves a poolside table, it was time to sample the Drink of the Day (which was to become a bit of a tradition for me too :rolleyes1):

c832d01f.jpg

A Paradise Punch. Great, even though I don't quite remember what was in it.

Our dining room for tonight was Parrot Cay, and the menu was Island Dinner. As you can see, we're back in the dining room with the horrible light that turns all photographs to mush :sad2::

79093954.jpg

By the way, I don't think I have mentioned the seating arrangements on Disney Cruise Line before: One of the fun things about it is that you are seated with others at dinner, and those tablemates stay the same for the whole duration of the cruise. You can of course request what other families you want to sit with, but if you don't request anything, you are usually seated with others who kind of match – such as, families with young kids get seated with other families with young kids, childless couples get seated together, and so on.

When we arrived in the dining room the first evening, we were quite surprised to find out that we indeed sat alone at a four-top table. (We later saw that there were lots of couples seated alone at their tables, apparently since the cruise wasn't fully booked DCL wanted to spread everyone evenly throughout the dining room and not leave any big gaps.)

I admit that we are a bit disappointed upon finding out that we were to sit alone – but in the end, it all turned out to the best:
We made friends with the couple sitting at the next table (also by themselves) and chatted with them a lot. In between, it was also nice to be able to talk in German amongst ourselves and never feel rude for leaving our table mates out of the conversation.

Anyway, back to tonight's meal – this was my truly wonderful appetizer:

878292ef.jpg

Island-spiced seared Ahi Tuna (Marinated in a Yuzu, Soy and Ginger Dressing). I love Tuna! :lovestruc

Probably not a pretty picture, but still a very nice soup:

bc8404a1.jpg

Cream of Green Asparagus (with Crabmeat and Asparagus Tips).

Meanwhile, DH was enjoying this appetizer:

65c59be1.jpg

West Indies Romaine Salad (Fresh Crisp Romaine tossed with a Creamy Romano Dressing topped with West Indies spice Dusted Croutons).

My main course was this:

aa3719f6.jpg

Shrimp and Avocado Salad on fresh field greens, water chestnuts, snow peas, corn kernels, and shredded carrots with a lemon-mint vinaigrette. Really nice!

Moving on to DH's rather blurry main course:

647d4804.jpg

This was, er … pork? I’m sorry, but for the first time ever in my dining reports I have absolutely NO CLUE what’s in my photo. Guesses, anyone? :)

Probably due to the fact that we hadn't eaten a lot during the day, there was amazingly still room for dessert even after this sumptuous dinner:

09667686.jpg

I had the Lemon Meringue Pie on Kumquat Sauce, which was wonderful – I am actually a fan of meringue, and I really liked this one.

DH couldn't really make up his mind, so he chose a dessert sampler:

ac6b1fe9.jpg

Parrot Cay's Sweet Temptations: a Trio of Crème Brûlée Cheesecake, Lemon Meringue Pie and Chocolate S'More Vanilla Cake.

When we were done with dinner and almost ready to leave, guess who came in all energetic:

3599b487.jpg

Minnie and her Spanish dancers! :cheer2:

Coming up next: Day 4, with Lumiéres French Dinner ...

Palermo Day

38a70827.jpg

Today was Sicily day, where we went on a half-day private excursion to Palermo and the picturesque hilltop village of Monreale.
It was great – never having been to Sicily before, I would definitely love to go back there some day.

Since this report is all about the food and not the ports though (kinda lame, I know ;)), here we are right back on the sip, in time for some lunch.
Today, we opted to try the sit-down a la carte lunch at Lumière's which we had not tried before. Since Lumière's is the most formal restaurant on board, DH was a bit worried that we might not be dressed suitably in our shorts and jeans respectively, but it turned out that wasn’t a problem at all – while the lunch is a la carte, it isn't formal at all.

The restaurant was quite empty, and right when we walked in we were spotted by our regular server (Paul from South Africa), who made sure that we got a table in the area he was servicing. It was nice to have a bit more of a chance to chat with him – in the evenings, he had so much to do that I never wanted to hold him up for a long time, but everything was less rushed here at lunch.

This was my appetizer:

9156dfec.jpg

Grilled asparagus with dip. Quite basic, but nevertheless very nice: the asparagus still had a bite to it, just as I like it, and the dip was rich and creamy.

DH had decided on this:

5d0715e4.jpg

Serrano ham with mixed greens and a grissini stick.

My main course:

40f1cf45.jpg

Salmon fillet with asparagus and potatoes – simple yet very nice and tasty! The salmon was a tiny bit overdone, though, but that was okay.

Dear hubby's main course:

85e0d19a.jpg

Cheeseburger with fries! One of his favourite meals on the ship! :thumbsup2

And yes, we definitely were starting to get used to all that food … we did both have dessert!

This was mine:

ef249bce.jpg

Warm apple crumble with vanilla ice cream, mmmh!

And this was DH's:

4a242e85.jpg

I'm not even sure what it is, but I would guess Tiramisù.

Later that same afternoon, we were to make a discovery that changed our cruise forever:

9e787028.jpg

While there are free cookies and cakes to be found at Cove Café during the afternoon, they replace them with antipasti, cheese and crackers at 6.00 pm! :dance3:
A perfect little snack, especially if accompanied by Chai Latte and/or a nice glass of red wine. :thumbsup2

So, while I admit I will probably contemplate doing a full trip report next time since it’s getting a tad embarrassing to never talk about anything but food, well … dinnertime saw us back at Lumière's. :rotfl:

5ad6bf8f.jpg

My appetizer:

a2c383ad.jpg

Chilled Jumbo Shrimp with Micro Greens, White and Green Asparagus (both also micro, methinks) and Lemon-Dill Dressing with Horseradish Cream.

DH apparently likes his salads blurry – sorry folks:

a6353609.jpg

Market Green Salad with Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppered Goat Chesse, and a Raspberry Vinaigrette.

My salad brought me an awed comment of "You eat so healthy" from our new friends at the next table. Well, yes, thank you. Healthy. And lots and lots and lots. :upsidedow

9d8021c2.jpg

Avocado-Citrus Salad with Iceberg and Radicchio Leaves and an Orange Vinaigrette. Very nice! (and healthy ;))

My main course:

bfb072c5.jpg

Aged Angus Grilled Beef Tenderloin on Olive-Oil Smashed Potatoes, Bacon-Wrapped Green Beans, and a Mustard Madeira Sauce. I didn't much care for the bacon so I left it, but I really enjoyed the rest.

DH picked something healthy for his entrée today, too:

61ba7f85.jpg

Grilled Chicken Breast Salad with Romaine Lettuce, Herbed Croutons, Cherry Tomatoes, and a Creamy Parmesan Dressing.

Oh, and I am proud to say that we both skipped dessert tonight! :lmao:

Just like yesterday, when we were almost about to leave, somebody came in dancing:

d93d68c4.jpg

Belle and the Beast! This was a really nice little surprise, as I hadn’t seen it happen our last (and first) Disney cruise.

Coming up next: Day 5 with Animator's Palate Show Dinner …

All the food looks so good YUMMY! Love seeing Belle and Beast at dinner how amazing! x

All the food looks so good YUMMY! Love seeing Belle and Beast at dinner how amazing! x

I know, we hadn't expected that at all as it hadn't happened (or we had missed it) during our last cruise!

Naples Day

Today was our Naples day, and we spent it on an all-day excursion to the island of Capri. Could have been beautiful, but alas it was very much marred by the fact that there was a thunderstorm, dropping bucketloads of rain, for seven hours with hardly any pauses in between (!). Honestly, I have never spent a more miserable day in the beautiful Mediterranean - my feet and shoes were soaked through, all day. :sick:

Anyway, when we returned to the ship toward evening, the rain had finally stopped so this pretty lady was able to come out and welcome us back to the ship:

623b2efb.jpg

Our dinner was at Animator's Palate Restaurant - and without much further ado, this was our food:

My appetizer:

7c3da5b9.jpg

Ahi Tuna Tartare with Caviar, Chives, and Wasabi Cream.
Oh, if only I could have tuna tartare every day! :lovestruc

DH opted for a salad:

209ff161.jpg

Smoked Salmon and Trout with Goat Cheese Salad, on Baby Greens, with Toasted Almonds and a Cranberry-Balsamic Vinegar Dressing.

I didn't feel like having salad after such a wet and miserable day - what I needed was a nice, hot bowl of soup!

fbc7662b.jpg

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup, garnished with Chives and drizzled with Sour Cream. Very nice, this truly hit the spot.

Moving on to entrees, this was mine:

e5c6b53e.jpg

Stir-Fry Vegetables on Fried Noodles, Hearts of Palm, and Oyster Glaze.
Something light and fresh - a rather small portion, but just perfect on a night when I had a total of four courses. :)

DH had also been wet and cold all day so he needed something more substantial now:

d2811a87.jpg

Asian Marinated Beef Tenderloin on Wasabi Mashed Potatoes with Bok Choy and a Tamarind-Barbecue Reduction.
Actually looks so good that I would love to have it right now, and never mind that it is only 10.00 am here! :thumbsup2

Oh, and by the way, you read correctly - I did say I had four courses.Which meant, no skipping of these tonight:

3cafa267.jpg

Desserts! I had the best ever:

4312ab7b.jpg

Buckled Warm Apple Crumble – Cinnamon flavored Apple Filling topped with a crunchy crumble served with vanilla ice cream. Mmmh!

And yes, even DH had a little something:

0a725ea6.jpg

Cranberry and Orange Cheesecake with Dark Chocolate Sauce.

All in all, a wonderful meal that left us warm and happy and made us forget the stressful day. Isn't good food a wonderful thing? :goodvibes

Coming up next: Day 6, with Master Chef Dinner ...

I am loving your reviews :goodvibes

I am so excited about our forthcoming cruise so it's great to see all the yummy food

Drink Of The Day plus lots of desserts = :cloud9:

I've only just seen your TR. Wow it all looked fantastic and its great to see and indepth dining report. Looking forward to reading more about the Cruise. Oh and thanks for the Manhattan review. I think thats going to be our first night meal for our honeymoon trip :goodvibes

Thank you - I admit I have missed your post somehow earlier, and have only just seen it now. So you are going to DLP for your honeymoon? That sounds wonderful! :lovestruc

I am loving your reviews :goodvibes

I am so excited about our forthcoming cruise so it's great to see all the yummy food

Drink Of The Day plus lots of desserts = :cloud9:

Thank you! I have been slacking a bit lately, but now I've written up another two days and will be posting them in a minute. Not so long to go until your cruise now! Will it be your first? I envy you for getting to go on the Fantasy!

Civitavecchia (Rome) Day

867f8411.jpg

Today the ship was docked in Civitavecchia, and many many passengers were headed to Rome for the day. Although we haven't been there yet, we decided to do something less stressful instead since we plan to do Rome another time, for a whole week or so. We therefore spent a very pleasurable half day on a Disney-led excursion to the medieval town of Tarquinia, followed by a visit to an olive-oil farm.

Back on the ship in the afternoon, a spot of late lunch was in order:

1fd64892.jpg

The buffet at Topsiders was seafood-themed today, which was just perfect for me! :goodvibes

What I love most about Topsiders is that there is outdoor seating available as well – so weather permitting, you may take your tray to sit outside, high up on deck 9, and enjoy the view:

a333c561.jpg

Isn't this the most beautiful place to sit and relax with some lunch?

And then, the perfect thing to do after lunch:

c2636a25.jpg

… have a "Drink of the Day" by the adult pool! :thumbsup2According to my notes, this was a Coliseum, but I don"t remember what was in there (expect for Blue Curacao, obviously …).
Actually, I may even have had the bartender mix me a Konk Cooler afterward, the Castaway Cay signature drink, and it was heavenly :rolleyes1. I did take a picture of it too, but I am in the picture as well and for some reason I look as though I have had quite a bit of alcohol already, so it shall remain unposted :upsidedow.

Not all that much later, the sun was setting over Civitavecchia harbor:

fc6708be.jpg

… and it was time for dinner!
Tonight's menu was "Master Chef", which features dishes composed by different Disney World restaurant chefs. (Unfortunately, it was also time to dine in Parrot Cay again, a restaurant I really like but which has horrible lighting that makes for really awful food pictures. :sad2:)

I started off dinner with another cocktail - as they say, third time's a charm:

9d68f02f.jpg

English Rose (with Rum, Amaretto, Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice, and Grenadine).

My very nice appetizer was this:

776e42f9.jpg

Citrico's Shrimp (Marinated Shrimp with Feta Cheese, Cilantro, and Tomato in a light Chardonnay Butter Sauce). It really was very nice, if not as spectacular as our meal at the real Citrico's had been the year before.

DH chose this appetizer (sorry for the poor picture quality):

91cb8084.jpg

Serrano Ham, Spicy Tomato and Kalamata Olive Bruschetta on Toasted Italian Country-Style Garlic Bread. I do not remember whether this was supposed to be created by a Disney chef as well, but it probably wasn't, as this is such an established dish which you probably cannot reinvent at all. Anyway, it was tasty and very fitting of the country we were in.

Still on the subject of absolutely classic dishes – we both had this next:

f0a2c1a0.jpg

Beefsteak Tomatoes and Baby Mozzarella topped with Arugula Leaves and a Balsamic Drizzle. It was nice, but sadly the tomatoes were rather taste-free (same problem as I always have with tomatoes I buy at home – since we were in the Med, they may have come from the same place as those I buy at home).

For my main course, I decided on a great piece of beef which made another awful picture yet tasted great:

d9f01034.jpg

Yachtsman Steakhouse Center Cut Beef Tenderloin and Lobster Medaillons with Caramelized Carrots and Snow Peas on a Potato Cake and Sauce Bearnaise.

DH opted for this instead – surprisingly really, now that I think of it, as it is a rare occasion where he passes up on a portion of Beef Tenderloin:

8b7f947f.jpg

Oven-Roasted Breast of Pheasant with Baby Vegetables, Pearl Onions, Roasted Potatoes, and Port Wine Truffle Jus. I don't remember him saying how it was, so he may either have been too overjoyed or too disappointed to speak, who knows? ;)

Even more unusual for him, he followed this up with some dessert:

6e9a3009.jpg

I guess this was the Pear and Blackberry Crumble that was on the menu, but am not too sure, sorry. Mental note to self: Take more notes! (Or start dining reports straight after the trip instead of months and months later! :thumbsup2)

Since I oviously couldn't let poor DH eat alone, I had to have some dessert as well:

b6b3a270.jpg

Raspberry Tartlet: fresh Raspberries and light Raspberry Cream on an Orange Biscuit served with a Mango Coulis. It was one of the no-sugar-added desserts and unfortunately tasted a bit like it, as in, not like much at all. Except for the delicious fresh raspberries, of course.

Coming up next: Day 7, with Villains Dinner …

Sea Day

cbbed2ea.jpg

Today was a sea day, so we did not really have anywhere to be and could laze around all day and enjoy the wonderful (and for us, blissfully not too hot) weather.

I didn't take any food pictures except at dinner, so I guess that may probably mean we did not eat much during the day. We certainly changed that at dinner, though – you will see that I have more food photos than ever for you! :)

In fact, if you scroll ahead you will see that I have pictures of about ten different courses for you, but don’t fear for us, it doesn't mean that we finally went totally overboard and ate until they had to roll us back to our cabins.
No, instead we had the good fortune to have some wonderful visitors at our table. During our first day on board, I was approached by a Canadian DISer who actually recognized my face from having read my dining reports. My first brush with fame! :goodvibes:thumbsup2

We met again on several other occasions on board and got along really well with her, her husband and son. They were not perfectly happy with their seating arrangement as they had a table just for the three of them but would have enjoyed some more company, but somehow it had not been possible to get them moved to a larger table.
What they did do, however, was come over and join us at our table this evening (as I may have mentioned before, DH and I had a four-top all to ourselves, and our friendly servers were happy serving five instead of just two tonight), which was great fun.

So, if you happen to read this, dear M.: It was wonderful meeting you and your family, and we truly hope that we will get a chance to be on a cruise together again some time! (Let's just make sure in advance that we get to share a table then, so it won't have to be a single night's visit anymore!)

Moving on to our actual dinner ... Due to having guests I did not take any notes at all tonight, so with most dishes I admit I don't even remember who had what. (Also, our guests introduced us to a wonderful new idea we had never even thought of yet: When you can't decide or want to try two different things, just order a full portion of one and a little side dish of the other – much less gluttonous that ordering two full portions you probably wouldn't be able to finish!)

So, let's just let the pictures speak mainly for themselves:

Prosciutto with Chilled Honeydew:

d27f503b.jpg

This has always been one of my favourites, I love the combination of juicy and salty. Yes, I’m pretty sure this was ordered by me :goodvibes

Crispy Cheese Ravioli – Breaded envelopes served with Tomato Concassé and Lemon Zest:

2b5e8b5f.jpg

Is it just me, or is that a not-so-hidden Hidden Mickey there on that plate?

Jafar's Caramelized Bay Scallops served on a Leek and Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto:

eebc1c6c.jpg

I did not have these, but I think they look so promising that I will definitely give them a try if I find them on the menu again!

Crispy Romaine and Chicory Leaves with Smoked Turkey, Avocado, Tomatoes, Chopped Eggs, and Chives with a Roquefort Cheese Dressing:

1ca32fcc.jpg

This was DH's salad, if I remember correctly. I really like how they served the sauce on the side so you could decide for yourself how much of it you wanted.

Salad of Mixed Baby Greens with sliced Pears, Pistachios, and Apple Cider Vinaigrette:

8141050c.jpg

Looks like something I wouldn't mind having right now!

Broccoli and Maytag Blue Cheese Soup topped with crushed Walnuts:

5681c732.jpg

Sounds wonderful, looks a bit less so. I always find it hard to present soups attractively in these tiny cup-like bowls, though – big deep plates would make for much better pictures :confused3.

Yachtsman Steakhouse Grilled NY Strip Angus Beef with marinated Green Asparagus, Oven-baked Potato, and Walk the Plank Butter:

0b594564.jpg

Once again the Yachtsman Steakhouse had found its way onto the menu – and this time, I am pretty sure that both DH and I had this, and it was absolutely delicious!

Hades Oven-roasted Tom Turkey Breast with Green Beans, Sweet Mashed Potatoes, Rosemary Stuffing, Giblet Gravy, and Cranberry Relish:

c0fac602.jpg

What I like about this photo even more than the presented dish is that it shows how helpful our guests were in letting me take pictures of what they ordered – thank you folks :goodvibes! (And because they had read my prior dining reports, I did not even have to feel overly silly about what I was doing, but could tell myself I was on an important journalistic mission :upsidedow…)

Potato Gnocchi in a creamy Cheese Sauce with toasted Pine Nuts and Pesto Sauce:

d40959a8.jpg

Mmmh, even the picture is mouth-watering … definitely have to try these for myself next time.

After having finished the main courses, we all sat back and waited for our coffee and/or desserts … And as it happened, got to enjoy a special performance by our assistant server Tyrone:

1bcc0760.jpg

He was wonderful: friendly, witty and helpful. And, one must say, extremely silly. He had me screaming loud enough to startle half the restaurant when he threw Rufus the napkin mouse at me. Need I say more? :thumbsup2

This time, he was building what was probably meant to become the tower of Babylon out of forks and an empty bottle. I took this picture a bit early, as he managed to put quite a few more forks on it before the whole thing came crashing down, though!

Dessert:

5db79100.jpg

Maleficent's Ricotta Crème Brulée, laying on a bed of Honey Raspberries.
I am not sure whether this was the only dessert we all ordered, or if everyone had the same, or if I by this stage I was too exhausted from all the good food to take any more pictures, but: This is it for dessert photos!

Coming up next: Day 8, with Pirates IN the Caribbean Dinner …

Such an amazing trip report loving all the food pictures yummy! Making me so hungry at lunch time x

Such an amazing trip report loving all the food pictures yummy! Making me so hungry at lunch time x

Thank you! Still quite a lot more to come, I'll probably update again tomorrow, but definitely this weekend!

This is such a brilliant report. I so want to go on a Disney cruise now. Thank you so much for the fab details.

Thank you for reading along - I really cannot recommend Disney cruises enough, I have definitely found my favourite kind of vacation in them :goodvibes.

What a great review. I don't really consider myself to be a 'cruise person' but I have been on 5 in the past 4 years. They were all music related cruises, pretty much music festivals on a cruise ship, so much fun. (by www.sixthman.net)
Those cruises are very different, you don't even have much time to enjoy the dining as you spend most of your time running between the different music venues. We usually ate from the buffet, only went to the dining room once or twice on every cruise.
Maybe one day, I can give the Disney cruise a go...

Can I ask you a completely random question?
I'm German but live in the UK so book my travel insurance with UK providers, however we've been trying to find a good(and not crazy expensive) travel insurance for my mum for our upcoming trip to WDW and haven't really been able to find much under €100, is that normal? We need her to be covered for medical and cancellation.
who is your insurance by?

What a great review. I don't really consider myself to be a 'cruise person' but I have been on 5 in the past 4 years. They were all music related cruises, pretty much music festivals on a cruise ship, so much fun. (by www.sixthman.net)
Those cruises are very different, you don't even have much time to enjoy the dining as you spend most of your time running between the different music venues. We usually ate from the buffet, only went to the dining room once or twice on every cruise.
Maybe one day, I can give the Disney cruise a go...

Thank you for reading along - those music relatied cruises really sound interesting!
I've sent you a PM regarding your insurance question.

La Spezia Day

c6ed5fee.jpg

Today we were docked in the middle of the bay at La Spezia, near the beautiful Cinque Terre. We had booked a half-day excursion through Disney that took us on a boating trip to two of the five villages (or towns?) of the Cinque Terre, where we had some free time to look around. It was an absolutely wonderful trip, and a wonderful day.

Before we left for this excursion, however, we stopped at Parrot Cay for a quick breakfast from the buffet:

77e31090.jpg

Some fruit, scrambled eggs and bacon.

Later, in the beautiful town of Vernazza, we enjoyed a cup of delicious cappuccino – the coffee, you know, is a bit less than stellar on the Magic, so we were glad to have these!

4c636b51.jpg

After returning from our boat tour (since the Magic was "parked" in the bay, the boat actually dropped us off right alongside the ship which was pretty convenient), we once again had lunch at our favourite spot – on deck 9, outside by Topsiders:

67658091.jpg

And I am a bit ashamed to say, this did not even tide us over until dinner – we had to order some room service food a bit later (after all, it's all included in the cruise price! :thumbsup2):

0642da1c.jpg

A couple of bowls of fresh fruit, salads, a burger (I think) and the best dessert the Magic has to offer - a Mickey Bar :goodvibes.

This night was Pirates of the Caribbean themed, complete with a deck party, fireworks, a Pirates movie on the big screen, and of course a pirate-themed dinner menu:

cb440336.jpg

I had this for a starter:

56fce038.jpg

Pearls of the Caribbean – Crabmeat, Shrimp, and Salmon mixed in pearls of Couscous with a lemon grass infused Vinaigrette. Very pretty to behold, but unfortunately a bit bland to the taste.

DH could not make up his mind what to order and wasn't really even hungry either (gee, I wonder why? ;)), so he asked me to pick something light for him.

This was the appetizer I chose for him:

035f4cd9.jpg

The Buccaneer's Sun-Ripened Pineapple – fresh island Pineapple with a Coconut-covered Banana and Orange Glaze. Light and fresh, as requested. :)

And this is what I got him as a main course:

286a8c6e.jpg

Castaway Chicken Breast – Rubbed with Pirate Island Spice, Rice and Beans, and Fried Okra on rich Spized Glaze. He only finished half of it, but I guess that was only because it was too much, not because he didn't like it.

Meanwhile, I very much enjoyed this:

b06b22ea.jpg

Treasure-of-the-Seas Grilled Shrimp and Seared Scallops – served on strings of Pasta and fresh creamy Tomato Sauce. Truly tasty!

Almost needless to say, we both decided to forgo dessert this night. There even was a special pirate buffet out on deck later that night, but not only did we not have any of it, we never even went to look at it, as we were already fast asleep in our cabin. :sad2:

Coming up next: Day 9, with Captain's Gala Dinner …

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter