• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Typhoon Lagoon vs. Blizzard Beach, etc..

Betsyp

DIS Veteran
This might be moot since it appears TL is closed for refurbishment, but ...in case it’s open by the time I arrive in May:

Which park would you recommend? Just as a matter of fact, I’d do a lazy river, but only once - my big thing is water slides, raft rides, etc. I‘d probably stay away from the crazy high slides, but other than that, I’m good to go. I really love raft rides where you get splashed, and again, pretty much all slides.

So many questions, lol:

Is the difference between the parks primarily down to theming and that they are essentially the same?

I‘d love to try both, but I’m not sure that makes sense unless I do only half day at one of the other parks (I won’t take 2 days off to go to water parks)

Does it matter what weekday I go to either TL or BB?

While I’m attached to my phone, I feel like I should store that in a locker - I’d be so afraid of losing it. I have to wear my glasses - my world is a blur without them, lol. On slides, that will be difficult, if not impossible. Is there something I can bring with me onto the slides where I can stow my glasses ?

It looks like many people choose not to wear water shoes, which surprised me
. Are they a problem in the parks? I just assumed that they are the footwear of choice at the water parks.

Any decent food at either TL or BB? I forget which park it was, but I read that Snack Shack has awesomely different flavored Dole Whips!

Thank you!

1. The parks are very different past the theming. The wave pools are different, the slides are different. The only thing I believe is similar is the lazy river
2. We always go on Monday or Tuesday. never areal wait for anything. I wear contacts at the waterparks and put my phone and glasses in the locker
3. I wear water shoes but don't really need to. they ask me to remove them on some of the slides.

1. The parks are very different past the theming. The wave pools are different, the slides are different. The only thing I believe is similar is the lazy river
2. We always go on Monday or Tuesday. never areal wait for anything. I wear contacts at the waterparks and put my phone and glasses in the locker
3. I wear water shoes but don't really need to. they ask me to remove them on some of the slides.
Thank you!

Whichever park I don’t do this time, I’ll try another...

I haven’t worn contacts in years, so that’s not an option....I’ll figure it out, I guess. My nephew and his GF go a lot, so he can help me with the practicalities. May is months from now, so this is one time I’m glad to have some time to prep

I like both BB and TL. Both seem to have great raft rides (but as mentioned above, very different slides). As a diabetic with severe neuropathy, I wear water shoes because I can't feel if the pavement is hot, if I cut myself/stub my toe, etc. I'm not disagreeing about being asked to remove shoes on specific slides but I either can't recall that in my experience or haven't ridden those type of slides (or might've explained my medica issue)? Either park is great though!

Water shoes are allowed on all slides where you ride in a tube, raft or mat. On the body slides they don't allow them.

At Typhoon Lagoon those are the Storm Slides and Humanga Cowabunga. At Blizzard Beach it is Slush Gusher and Summit Plummet.

On our last two trips we alternated which water park we visited. Overall, we preferred Typhoon Lagoon, but I can't say that the reasons were all that strong. Also TL had some unfair advantages. We had better weather the day we went to Typhoon Lagoon and got a cabana which made the day just soooooo enjoyable. At Blizzard Beach we had rainy/cloudy weather and didn't have a cabana but a reserved umbrella with chairs (I apologize for not remembering what they are called).

We enjoyed rides at both parks, but loved the family size raft ride at TL best among them all. Even though this one had a longer wait than most we did it multiple times. The food at BB was surprisingly really good. (Can't compare as we had food delivered to us in the cabana at TL.)

One thing I will say, though, is that we ordered a Minnie Van to take us back to our resort afterwards and loved that. All days in Disney can be exhausting but something about having wet hair and feeling a little 'sticky' from the chorine made us not really want to ride on the bus. It felt luxurious :)

I like both BB and TL. Both seem to have great raft rides (but as mentioned above, very different slides). As a diabetic with severe neuropathy, I wear water shoes because I can't feel if the pavement is hot, if I cut myself/stub my toe, etc. I'm not disagreeing about being asked to remove shoes on specific slides but I either can't recall that in my experience or haven't ridden those type of slides (or might've explained my medica issue)? Either park is great though!
I assume they don’t want the rubber shoes rubbing against the slides? Anyway, the alternative to water shoes is walking around the park in....?

At this point. only BB is open, so that’s the one I’ll make a reservation for. If TL opens before I go, then I’ll figure it out then.

Thank you!

Water shoes are allowed on all slides where you ride in a tube, raft or mat. On the body slides they don't allow them.

At Typhoon Lagoon those are the Storm Slides and Humanga Cowabunga. At Blizzard Beach it is Slush Gusher and Summit Plummet.
That’s kind of what I figured...but unless you hold them, I’m not sure what people do? Surely they don’t leave them at the bottom of the ride?

Thank you! I love water parks so much, but it’s been ages since I’ve been to one..

On our last two trips we alternated which water park we visited. Overall, we preferred Typhoon Lagoon, but I can't say that the reasons were all that strong. Also TL had some unfair advantages. We had better weather the day we went to Typhoon Lagoon and got a cabana which made the day just soooooo enjoyable. At Blizzard Beach we had rainy/cloudy weather and didn't have a cabana but a reserved umbrella with chairs (I apologize for not remembering what they are called).

We enjoyed rides at both parks, but loved the family size raft ride at TL best among them all. Even though this one had a longer wait than most we did it multiple times. The food at BB was surprisingly really good. (Can't compare as we had food delivered to us in the cabana at TL.)

One thing I will say, though, is that we ordered a Minnie Van to take us back to our resort afterwards and loved that. All days in Disney can be exhausting but something about having wet hair and feeling a little 'sticky' from the chorine made us not really want to ride on the bus. It felt luxurious :)
Thank you for this ! The Polar Patio at BB sounds great, but $225 is a lot of money - I’ll probably stick with a umbrella, although I guess the only benefit to that is having a place to rest ? There’s no locker....

Minnie Van! I wanted to take one last time, but didn’t have the chance...I’m definitely using them this time, and what a great idea from the water park !

So, for shoes, kids and I frequently leave flip flops is a specific spot, like by the stairs up to a bunch for slides, or at a lazy river spot, etc. Then, when we’re are done it that area, we put the back on till our next spot.

So, for shoes, kids and I frequently leave flip flops is a specific spot, like by the stairs up to a bunch for slides, or at a lazy river spot, etc. Then, when we’re are done it that area, we put the back on till our next spot.
I suppose no one wants to steal footwear that’s already been worn, 😂

Thank you!

This is exactly what we do! Never had an issue.

I like them both. The wave pool at Typhoon is a little much for me so Blizzard edges it out. But honestly, I think they're both great. I love all the theming and trees!

The wave pool at TL is probably the best attraction in either park. But, BB has the best group of water slides overall in my opinion. The lazy rivers at both parks are good and comparable. The warm mini donuts at BB are pretty tasty.

I assume they don’t want the rubber shoes rubbing against the slides? Anyway, the alternative to water shoes is walking around the park in....?

At this point. only BB is open, so that’s the one I’ll make a reservation for. If TL opens before I go, then I’ll figure it out then.

Thank you!
You can’t make reservations for the water parks; you just show up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter