Ugh...Seriously Disney Channel >:(

I have to say, I agree with most of the sentiments here, except Phineas and Ferb which is, in my opinion, one of the most genius, clever, brilliant animated shows ever. Just sayin'

I grew up watching the Disney shows of the earlier '00s -- Lizzie Maguire, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Kim Possible, Phil of the Future, That's So Raven, American Dragon et cetera, et cetera. Those shows were miles better than anything that's on today.

I'm older now, but if those shows were still on, I'd definitely be checking in with the Disney Channel devotedly. Sadly, I stopped watching sometime ago -- not so much due to my age but due to the poor quality of the programming. I personally thought Shake It Up was horrendous (and as a side note, the main actresses looked borderline anorexic -- why are all Disney stars of today so skinny?? :faint:), as well as the Zack and Cody spinoff (and I was a diehard viewer of its predecessor when I was younger). Not to mention some of the other offerings, like Good Luck Charlie -- which, in all fairness, isn't anywhere near as bad as some of the channel's other shows, but still isn't great.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I also loathe Phineas and Ferb. :crazy2:

Nickelodeon has also gone downhill quite severely, which is sad. Both channels once offered such surprisingly smart, witty programs... it's hard to believe how far they've fallen.

I haven't even dared watch Girl Meets World yet... I started watching its predecessor in reruns a few years ago and I fell in love with it. If this spinoff isn't good (and, considering what channel it's on, I'm not hopeful), it'll really upset me... :sad:

I grew up watching the Disney shows of the earlier '00s -- Lizzie Maguire, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Kim Possible, Phil of the Future, That's So Raven, American Dragon et cetera, et cetera. Those shows were miles better than anything that's on today.

I'm older now, but if those shows were still on, I'd definitely be checking in with the Disney Channel devotedly. Sadly, I stopped watching sometime ago -- not so much due to my age but due to the poor quality of the programming. I personally thought Shake It Up was horrendous (and as a side note, the main actresses looked borderline anorexic -- why are all Disney stars of today so skinny?? :faint:), as well as the Zack and Cody spinoff (and I was a diehard viewer of its predecessor when I was younger). Not to mention some of the other offerings, like Good Luck Charlie -- which, in all fairness, isn't anywhere near as bad as some of the channel's other shows, but still isn't great.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I also loathe Phineas and Ferb. :crazy2:

Nickelodeon has also gone downhill quite severely, which is sad. Both channels once offered such surprisingly smart, witty programs... it's hard to believe how far they've fallen.

I haven't even dared watch Girl Meets World yet... I started watching its predecessor in reruns a few years ago and I fell in love with it. If this spinoff isn't good (and, considering what channel it's on, I'm not hopeful), it'll really upset me... :sad:

Fwiw Girl Meets World is pretty good so far, and this is from somebody whom use to watch BMW back in the 90s and it was my favorite show. It isn't perfect, but it is definitely hitting it's groove and I expect it to get better!
The 7D on DisneyXD is pretty good so far too, IMO.

My kids watch these Disney shows endlessly. I do try to balance out this bad with good classic comedies like Andy Griffith, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Green Acres, Get Smart and Bob Newhart. Hopefully this will make them more discerning on what to watch in their future television viewing. :)

I also wish Disney would show more of their classics like they used to do on Vault Disney.

Speaking of which, why not a whole channel devoted to that? There's plenty of material I'm sure to sustain its own channel.
:thumbsup2 awesome idea

We get the Disney Channel and I've been disappointed to not find any classic movies being shown, like ever. However if I wanted to fill up my dvr with episodes of "Dog with a Blog" that could be done easily as they air that show constantly. :sad2:

Fwiw Girl Meets World is pretty good so far, and this is from somebody whom use to watch BMW back in the 90s and it was my favorite show. It isn't perfect, but it is definitely hitting it's groove and I expect it to get better!
The 7D on DisneyXD is pretty good so far too, IMO.

I agree. GMW is actually pretty good. Very comparable to BMW, especially as it's being written and produced by the same people that did BMW.
It's also interesting to see the further relationship of Cory and Topanga. :)

But, not sure how long it will last on Disney Channel as the original show grew up with it's characters and went into some more adult themes in it's later years. Some themes that some might object to on DC.

I love the new Mickey Mouse shorts. Live for them. But I agree that the rest of the schedule is "blah" at the most.

Someone posted an old clip of That's So Raven on where she addressed racism and body image . Remember when Disney talked about real issues?

These new shows seem to be test pilots for the new Miley Cyrus. Which one of these girls will be the next big pop star?

I haven't watched the Disney Channel once they axed the Vault Disney style programs. I have zero interest in any of their "original" shows.

I rarely watch the Disney channel because I think their new 2014 shows are just trying to be funny when they're not. Am I alone in this? I told my mom I really wish they would bring back the classic Disney movies or shows so this new generation can watch. I feel like a majority of the magic is absent from the channel now. It also doesn't help that they're going to show Ice Age, which isn't even a Disney movie at all. I don't waste my time hating on things I don't like, but I really wish they would bring back the classics on that channel, like Jungle Cubs, House of Mouse, and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers.

Thoughts?

I think it's Disney Jr. or one of the ones that isn't on a basic cable package that does show more Disney movies during the week and such.

I absolutely hate the teenybopper stuff that they air now. Every now and then they'll put something decent on, but even then it's not great.

ABC Family is far worse than the Disney Channel though, IMO.

I'm in total agreement, I've stopped watching the Disney Channel as well.
Not only is the humor tasteless but the influences are terrible. A great deal of the characters, who are supposed to be role models are selfish, shallow and bratty like that Hannah Montana. That little biatch is even worse now, since no longer doing the show!
Then you've got these little pop star punks like Bieber.
It's no wonder today's generations are screwed up.

What happened to characters like Lizzy MaGuire, Phil Diffy and Louis Stevens? Those who actually taught us things like to appreciate ourselves and not to judge others?

I do like watching Phineas and Ferb and the Marvel shows in XD but I agree that the Disney Channel isn't very good.

However, YouTube can be your friend.

However, YouTube can be your friend.

Agreed, as is Google.
Just since last weekend I've found multiple streaming sources of the original Lilo and Stitch series including at leas four episodes (though I know not all) on Youtube.

Yeah I rarely watch the DC, as the only show I go out of my way to catch, Gravity Falls, is now on XD.

The problem is, ever since Hannah Montana Disney has figured out the formula for tweenager programing, and they are pulling in big numbers and making a LOT of money catering to that crowd... Which also gives them an outlet to advertise their parks and marvel comic movies.

I don't think they are going to retire the cash cow anytime soon, so a "Disney Classics" type channel might be the only hope for those of us who miss the real Disney material.

Jay

- I will say tho that as the father of a 3 and 1 year old that I really like a lot of the Disney Junior shows. My boys love Sheriff Callow, Sofia the First, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

ya, I've commiserated with many of my mommy friends regarding the terrible quality of current Disney Channel programing. My daughter is 6 and is growing out of Disney Jr but there's nothing (except Phineas and Ferb which she's not into) that I will allow her to watch on Disney Channel. I'm sorry but it's ridiculous that the great creative minds of Disney thinks that a natural step from Doc McStuffins is Shake It Up. There's nothing on DC appropriate for young school age kids. It's really disappointing to me so I decided to write them... Well first I emailed Disney Channel and it bounced back saying that there is no email address directly to Disney Channel programing so now I'm writing an old fashion letter (with a stamp and everything) voicing my disappointment. I'd like to encourage you all to do the same. Voice your opinion, they might just listen :)
Here's the address:
The Disney Channel
3800 W. Alameda Ave.
Burbank, CA 91505

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter