UK-US travel, 2021/2022

I think Day 2 actually means 'any time before Day 2', so you could potentially do it at the airport if there's a facility there and get your result back same / next day.
Okay, that’s better but some of us have already purchased the pre and post travel COVID tests and they and LFTs not PCRs.
And I wonder if the US will now request PCRs.

Okay, that’s better but some of us have already purchased the pre and post travel COVID tests and they and LFTs not PCRs.

You'd hope providers will provide an upgrade path to PCR. All you can do is contact them, but they'll probably still be working it out for a few days.

Agree now wondering if the US will change to PCR and we will lose £200 plus the cost of PCR tests.

Agree now wondering if the US will change to PCR and we will lose £200 plus the cost of PCR tests.
Breathe Assured have a notice on their website, basically saying ‘don’t panic’ . I think they will offer upgrades. The test packs themselves are cheap; the nurse supervising is the expense.
I agree. I think the US may well ask for pre arrival PCRs. Not what we all wanted to hear.

Breathe Assured have a notice on their website, basically saying ‘don’t panic’ . I think they will offer upgrades. The test packs themselves are cheap; the nurse supervising is the expense.
I agree. I think the US may well ask for pre arrival PCRs. Not what we all wanted to hear.
Looks like the the nurse supervised is £15 each, not sure the cost difference between LFT and PCR?

Looks like the the nurse supervised is £15 each, not sure the cost difference between LFT and PCR?
Breathe Assured don’t offer PCRs. I am wondering whether to book a pre departure PCR now, as if Biden announces a PCR requirement, we will be scrabbling to get it booked and done in time. Quite expensive though.

Breathe Assured don’t offer PCRs. I am wondering whether to book a pre departure PCR now, as if Biden announces a PCR requirement, we will be scrabbling to get it booked and done in time. Quite expensive though.
Well then they won't be able to do the Day 2 PCR test anyway.

More stress to add to things, not needed at the moment.

PCR's around £60 so that's £120 pp with a day 2 wow so my £200 will increase to £480.

Well then they won't be able to do the Day 2 PCR test anyway.

More stress to add to things, not needed at the moment.

PCR's around £60 so that's £120 pp with a day 2 wow so my £200 will increase to £480.
I know and you either have to find collection boxes and allow more time for them to be returned or pay for an in clinic rapid test, which costs even more. To be honest, I am not too worried about the day 2 return PCR; I am worried about the US changing the rules though.

I know and you either have to find collection boxes and allow more time for them to be returned or pay for an in clinic rapid test, which costs even more. To be honest, I am not too worried about the day 2 return PCR; I am worried about the US changing the rules though.
I know what you mean if the US change less than 2 weeks before I go I see it costing a lot more and a lot more hassle to get tests, kids at school time off work etc all at the same time.

Its just so annoying my wife is more qualified than the people doing the online consultations and yet we still have to pay money out :(

More money for the governments friends. Im annoyed, very annoyed.

Don't get me wrong I get that we need to try and halt the spread, its just the costs are ridiculous.

my wife is more qualified than the people doing the online consultations
But she isn't independent ... :confused3

More money for the governments friends.
There may well be truth in that, though I feel that in the current situation (of not knowing how the heck this variant is going to turn out) I don't think the changes are disproportionate.
18 months ago we were hammering the govt for not having acted fast enough, so I think we've kinda got what we asked for. By Christmas we'll know more about Omicron and maybe this will all go away again. Unfortunately those going out for Xmas are caught in the cyclone.

18 months ago we were hammering the govt for not having acted fast enough, so I think we've kinda got what we asked for. By Christmas we'll know more about Omicron and maybe this will all go away again. Unfortunately those going out for Xmas are caught in the cyclone.

I literally just bought non-refundable Drawn to Life tickets two nights ago! Thankfully my trip isn't until August, but I'll be holding off any more spending for a while.

But she isn't independent ... :confused3

There may well be truth in that, though I feel that in the current situation (of not knowing how the heck this variant is going to turn out) I don't think the changes are disproportionate.

Yes i know that shes not independant but thats not the point i was making. I was pointing out the fact that we were paying more than we get paid for 20 mins work and i just think its a money making scheme.

Again as i stated afterwards i understand it but to be honest I don't understand why the prices are so high. Nobody would bat an eye if it was £20 a test but £60 + each for a family of 4 is outrageous.

£480 for tests is not acceptable, if youve already paid £200 and dont get a refund thats £680. Bearing in mind that they state the following for having a PCR test.

Getting a PCR test if you have no symptoms
You can also use this service if:

• you’ve been in contact with someone who’s tested positive
  • you’ve been asked to get a test by a local council or someone from NHS Test and Trace
  • a GP or other health professional has asked you to get a test
  • you’re taking part in a government pilot project
  • you’ve been asked to get a test to confirm a positive result
  • you’ve received an unclear result and were told to get a second test
  • you need to get a test for someone you live with who has symptoms
  • you’re in the National Tactical Response Group

I am not under miming the situation in any way, im just not happy that more money is dissapearing, if they turn round and say you need a PCR test 2-3 days before going, youve got to sort the test out, hope you can get one and then wait for results. In the time between testing and going you may well catch it anyway.

For instance im flying on the 11th and they decide you need a PCR test before entering the US on the 8th were am i supposed to find, book, have and get results back before flying?

Last edited:
Bearing in mind that they state the following for having a PCR test.
But there has always been a disconnect between 'health' and 'other' considerations in NHS services. (eg. Having to pay for a doctor's certificate for some holiday related things, like fit to travel for insurance), so the principle is not new. And I don't think it would be right for people like us who can afford to go on holiday at all to be a burden on the NHS in pursuit of that.

Whether the charges are reasonable is another matter. Setting up and running a lab, especially when demand can come and go as now, is not a cheap exercise. You just have to shop around.

For instance im flying on the 11th and they decide you need a PCR test before entering the US on the 8th were am i supposed to find, book, have and get results back before flying?
I would really hope they would/will give more than 3 days notice of such a change. The CDC must be well aware of the logistics involved.
But that said, if I was planning to travel soon but hadn't booked my tests yet I think I'd book PCRs to be on the safe, and less stressful, side.

As I said months ago - we are doing international travel in a global pandemic. It carries a significant risk.

I think the problem has been that people returning to the U.K. have not bothered to perform the LFTs. There is no check, you just need the number for the PLF. BJ announced PCRs are required from next week, but things change and that may well be diluted to a supervised LFT, followed, if necessary, by isolation and a PCR. That would be far more sensible.

But there has always been a disconnect between 'health' and 'other' considerations in NHS services. (eg. Having to pay for a doctor's certificate for some holiday related things, like fit to travel for insurance), so the principle is not new. And I don't think it would be right for people like us who can afford to go on holiday at all to be a burden on the NHS in pursuit of that.

Whether the charges are reasonable is another matter. Setting up and running a lab, especially when demand can come and go as now, is not a cheap exercise. You just have to shop around.

I would really hope they would/will give more than 3 days notice of such a change. The CDC must be well aware of the logistics involved.
But that said, if I was planning to travel soon but hadn't booked my tests yet I think I'd book PCRs to be on the safe, and less stressful, side.

As I said months ago - we are doing international travel in a global pandemic. It carries a significant risk.

I totally get everything your saying but saying if you can afford to go on holiday we shouldn't burden the NHS etc, etc. The way its going I won't be able to afford to go on holiday.

Theres a big difference between paying £200 and possibly paying £600 - £700. Bearing in mind my holiday is already £1500 more than it was when I was going originally.

Im not putting blame on anyone for the pandemic and I get the risks but people profiteering off it is not acceptable.

I would agree that I would expect the CDC to give more notice but im not sure what rules the people going tomorrow are under or those already away when does the new rule come into effect? (sorry haven't read the full details yet)

Anyway im not going to waste any more time on it what will be will be if the change the rules too much and it stops me from going tough for me.

Last edited:
I think the problem has been that people returning to the U.K. have not bothered to perform the LFTs. There is no check, you just need the number for the PLF. BJ announced PCRs are required from next week, but things change and that may well be diluted to a supervised LFT, followed, if necessary, by isolation and a PCR. That would be far more sensible.
I can totally understand forcing supervised LFT. unfortunately the honest people always get shafted by the dishonest.

Also think the above would be more acceptable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter