Underwater/waterproof cameras, cases and housings

We just bought a Canon D10. Haven't used it in water yet. Though for an indoor flash use camera it produces a lot of orbs. Likely due to the close proximity of the flash and lens. Will see how it performs outdoors and in water in May. It also shots video. Though it may be a little out of your price range at closer to $300.

We bought the Olympus Stylus Tough 6020. It takes great underwater pictures. We bought it for our Mexico trip. It is a great little camera.

We picked up the Olympus Stylus Tough 6020. Great underwater pics. We used it on our mexico trip.

See my sig? I recommend an Olympus Stylus 410. Its an OLDER camera, but it takes amazing pictures for a Point and shoot of it's size. I can't count the number of times on the food threads that people have emailed me and said my pictures looked amazing, and asked me what kind of camera I was using.
You can get one on ebay used for around $20 (just bought out 3rd 2 months ago; my wife wanted her own.) and that's what we paid. You can get a waterproof case for a lot more money, but given the age of this camera, I imagine you could find it pretty cheap by now on ebay or craigslist (searching nationally).

See my sig? I recommend an Olympus Stylus 410. Its an OLDER camera, but it takes amazing pictures for a Point and shoot of it's size. I can't count the number of times on the food threads that people have emailed me and said my pictures looked amazing, and asked me what kind of camera I was using.
You can get one on ebay used for around $20 (just bought out 3rd 2 months ago; my wife wanted her own.) and that's what we paid. You can get a waterproof case for a lot more money, but given the age of this camera, I imagine you could find it pretty cheap by now on ebay or craigslist (searching nationally).

Thank you! :thumbsup2 Good to know that. :yay:

We just bought a Canon D10. Haven't used it in water yet. Though for an indoor flash use camera it produces a lot of orbs. Likely due to the close proximity of the flash and lens. Will see how it performs outdoors and in water in May. It also shots video. Though it may be a little out of your price range at closer to $300.

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if you'd be able to recommend a digital camera that I'd be able to take onto the beach and also snorkeling. My budget is $200. Is there anything out there that will take good pictures in this range?\

Thanks so much!
Wendy:thumbsup2

I've used the Canon Powershot D10 to take photos underwater on a trip to Hawaii last summer and really liked the results. The camera had a bit of trouble focusing on objects when the water was dark or murky, but other than that it seemed to do a good job.

The only thing is that the camera is about $300.

I have an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW and love it! It was in the water as long as I was when we went to Hawaii last spring. When I get back to the home computer I post a couple of the pictures I have taken with it.

I've used the Canon Powershot D10 to take photos underwater on a trip to Hawaii last summer and really liked the results. The camera had a bit of trouble focusing on objects when the water was dark or murky, but other than that it seemed to do a good job.

The only thing is that the camera is about $300.

Bummer - a bit above my budget! But I am glad there is a good camera out there!

I have an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW and love it! It was in the water as long as I was when we went to Hawaii last spring. When I get back to the home computer I post a couple of the pictures I have taken with it.

OOOh, I'd love to see them!!!

Are either of these cameras available at a store where I could go look at them, or are they online?

New underwater camera strongly rumored from Canon in the next 30 days. Hang tight if you can. ;)

I can hang!! One of the reasons I want one is for the Camp I volunteer at in MT. Its for children and adults with special needs. Their favorite time of the day is lake time, but Im always having to get in and out of the water to get my camera and take pictures from the shore - so Im hoping to have one with me this year!! We leave at the end of June. Hope it will be in my budget!!

Anyone know if ther is some type of floaty thing you can put on the wrist band to keep it from sinking????

New underwater camera strongly rumored from Canon in the next 30 days. Hang tight if you can. ;)

I'd bet it'll be more than the OP's budget.

I also have the Canon D10. Nice camera though it's oddly shaped. Nice to hang on to but hard to buy a case for.

I've only got a few of photos uploaded from it but here's a couple - nothing underwater though and they're just a few quick snapshots.

Canon091.jpg

Using the selective color feature:

Canon086.jpg

Using Macro mode:

Canon081.jpg

Hi,

I know the D10 is a bit out of your range, but just so you can see what type of underwater snapshots I got, here are two underwater photos that I took last summer. I bought mine online, but I've seen it in stores.

These are bright yellow and black fish. The photo was taken in the early morning, in a shaded part of a bay.
Snorkel_PennantFish_1.jpg

The second photo is of a turtle. The photo was taken in late afternoon.
Turtle04_1.jpg

Good luck camera hunting!

I'd bet it'll be more than the OP's budget.

I also have the Canon D10. Nice camera though it's oddly shaped. Nice to hang on to but hard to buy a case for.

I've only got a few of photos uploaded from it but here's a couple - nothing underwater though and they're just a few quick snapshots.

Canon091.jpg

Using the selective color feature:

Canon086.jpg

Using Macro mode:

Canon081.jpg

Hi,

I know the D10 is a bit out of your range, but just so you can see what type of underwater snapshots I got, here are two underwater photos that I took last summer. I bought mine online, but I've seen it in stores.

These are bright yellow and black fish. The photo was taken in the early morning, in a shaded part of a bay.
Snorkel_PennantFish_1.jpg

The second photo is of a turtle. The photo was taken in late afternoon.
Turtle04_1.jpg

Good luck camera hunting!

WOW - those pictures are really good both above and under water!! We are at the beach alot during the summer, plus camp - so I'd like it for above water then - but if DH and I go cruisin, we LOVE to snorkel! Those pictures all look great - that selective color shot is so cool!!!!

I bought a DicaPac on eBay for a recent trip to Mexico and it might be one of the best purchases I ever made. I was leary at first, but I never had so much as a drop of water inside and it produced amazing photos! I was so happy with the results.

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if you'd be able to recommend a digital camera that I'd be able to take onto the beach and also snorkeling. My budget is $200. Is there anything out there that will take good pictures in this range?\

Thanks so much!
Wendy:thumbsup2

Looking into getting a waterproof camera for an upcoming cruise. I'm looking at the Canon D10 but wanted to know what others used. I have also heard good things about the Olympus.

I don't want to spend a TON so just a simple point and shoot.

I'm also interested in getting a waterproof case. Anyone have experience with a Dicapac? What are your thoughts on it?

I bought the "Vivitar ViviCam 5399 5.1 MP Camera Black WaterProof" off of e-bay for $43.00 and it works great. Action shots don't come out too clear but stills or underwater are awesome. For some reason the color it captures is great! Here are a few pics that I took with mine.

Fishing010309006.jpg

PICT0001-1.jpg

PICT0122.jpg

PICT0123.jpg

PICT0132.jpg

PICT0133.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter