United allowing families to sit together for free

I think I'd be concerned that the airline is soft on it and just goes onto the plane itself and asks for people to move. It's by far the easiest solution on their books and probably the one seen to have less confrontational issues by that I mean they don't have to listen to the family be all upset potentially yelling or screaming or crying. I'm not all that confident that they would take the consistent stance of just making the family go on another flight but I hope I'm wrong on that.
I think a fair number of passengers that selected their seats at booking will stand firm. If united wants to give freebies, then it's up to them to find empty seats.
Maybe there will be generous seat blocks on daytime as well as red eyes to accommodate this situation.

I think a fair number of passengers that selected their seats at booking will stand firm. If united wants to give freebies, then it's up to them to find empty seats.
Oh I totally agree with you especially these days when it seems quite common for people to roll the dice but I'm just giving what I fear the airline themselves will do. Like it or not it's usually not in the contract of carriage that we can say no and not actually be bumped, it's why they usually have lines in about voluntary and involuntary. They can and do force people from their booked seats regardless of them standing firm or not.

I'm just hoping that they would put the situation on the families but am not confident that they would given the alternative of going on to the flight at that time to resolve it has been done for many years. It's harder to find new flights for people especially flying with children they aren't going to want to split them up (that defeats the point too) plus flights are running thin too as far as options.

IDK just thinking about how the airline world is these days.

Oh I totally agree with you especially these days when it seems quite common for people to roll the dice but I'm just giving what I fear the airline themselves will do. Like it or not it's usually not in the contract of carriage that we can say no and not actually be bumped, it's why they usually have lines in about voluntary and involuntary. They can and do force people from their booked seats regardless of them standing firm or not.

I'm just hoping that they would put the situation on the families but am not confident that they would given the alternative of going on to the flight at that time to resolve it has been done for many years. It's harder to find new flights for people especially flying with children they aren't going to want to split them up (that defeats the point too) plus flights are running thin too as far as options.

IDK just thinking about how the airline world is these days.
There will be more generous family seat blocks at less desirable flight times is my guess. We shall see, it will be interesting to watch as this is implemented.

Well, booking 6 weeks out means you get what's left over.

Families with kids under 12 should get to sit together. Period. Young kids should not be sat next to strangers on a multi hour flight.
No, booking basic economy means you get what is left over. Parents shouldn't choose to leave where they sit and whom they sit next to up to chance. It is incumbent on families that need to sit together to purchase tickets that allow them to do so. I have two kids under 12 and wouldn't think about booking basic economy if I was travelling with them. If we fly SW I always purchase EBCI so that we have those options.
Or airlines just stop the nonsense of charging for different seats. A window seat vs a middle doesn’t cost the airlines anything. So just get rid of that fee. At least with luggage, they’re paying crews to load, extra fuel for the extra weight etc. So luggage fees could be to recoup costs. But fees for window or aisle, just pure money grab.
The biggest grab is "preferred" main cabin seating, I flew on American last month and the first window seat that wasn't "preferred" was in like row 27. The only difference between that seat and one in row 17 is 10 rows closer to the front of the plane.

Frontier announced a very similar policy today as well.

Let's see how this one goes over! How about charging people a bag fee who bring a carry-on (meaning going into the overhead compartment) on to the plane? This always holds up boarding and deplaning upon arrival, and then the same people who held everyone up are the ones who zip right out of the airport! People who check bags and don't use the overhead bins don't slow anyone down, yet they have to wait for their luggage. Basically, a fee to use the overhead bins for luggage. And to be honest, this is the first time I've ever thought about it. But I do agree that if you need to sit next to your children, don't book basic economy. Pay for assigned seats or do early bird check in. I'm not moving if I've paid extra for the seat I want and then am expected to move to a middle seat in the back of the plane.

I wish these airlines that leave seating up to chance would stop that practice and make you select a seat when booking. I need to sit with my husband to temper my anxiety and "protect" me from the isle seat that makes the anxiety worse. If we can't book 2 seats together, we don't select that flight. I guess I don't understand why someone with kids isn't expected to do the same.

I don't think families with kids under 12 should book basic economy if they need to sit together but it doesn't bother me that much as long as I am not asked to move to accommodate a family when I did pay for my seat assignment.

I don't think families with kids under 12 should book basic economy if they need to sit together but it doesn't bother me that much as long as I am not asked to move to accommodate a family when I did pay for my seat assignment.
Hopefully the changes will eliminate most of the past issues when families booking basic economy.
Down the road I'd love to see them restrict basic economy to customers 12 and over.

Hopefully the changes will eliminate most of the past issues when families booking basic economy.
Down the road I'd love to see them restrict basic economy to customers 12 and over.
I don't book basic economy so I don't have a stake in this but I hope it means I won't be asked to swap when I'm in premier economy (I can book it for free with my flight status).

There will be more generous family seat blocks at less desirable flight times is my guess. We shall see, it will be interesting to watch as this is implemented.
Delta already blocks at least the back two rows (maybe more on larger planes). I think the idea of having a "family section" that can only be assigned if you have children <12 is a great idea!
I don’t have kids.

I think it is ridiculous to force people to pay a fee to pick a seat. Period.

Parents have to deal with so much crap already to travel, I’m fine if they’re allowed to sit next to their kid without paying.
The only people who get their seats for FREE are those who use:
* ULCC (who charge for everything) and the seats are assigned somewhat randomly
* "Basic Economy" and the seats are assigned randomly.
* SW fliers.

Doesn't seem too difficult for a parent to NOT do one of those three if it's that important to them. And yes, I've travelled with young kids, including bringing a car seat onto the plane and setting it up/taking it down, and going through a connecction.

Let's see how this one goes over! How about charging people a bag fee who bring a carry-on (meaning going into the overhead compartment) on to the plane? This always holds up boarding and deplaning upon arrival, and then the same people who held everyone up are the ones who zip right out of the airport! People who check bags and don't use the overhead bins don't slow anyone down, yet they have to wait for their luggage. Basically, a fee to use the overhead bins for luggage. And to be honest, this is the first time I've ever thought about it. But I do agree that if you need to sit next to your children, don't book basic economy. Pay for assigned seats or do early bird check in. I'm not moving if I've paid extra for the seat I want and then am expected to move to a middle seat in the back of the plane.
There are already airlines that DO charge for carry on bags. Spirit is one of them. I will ALWAYS take a suitcase with me because I want clothes with me in case the airlines lose the checked bags. Of course, I have no problem lifting the bag myself up into the bins.
I wish these airlines that leave seating up to chance would stop that practice and make you select a seat when booking. I need to sit with my husband to temper my anxiety and "protect" me from the isle seat that makes the anxiety worse. If we can't book 2 seats together, we don't select that flight. I guess I don't understand why someone with kids isn't expected to do the same.
OR, people who want an assigned seat can select an airline that gives them that option.

I will say, the only time another passenger should get bumped from their seat to make way for an adult/child combo should be if that adult/child combo has missed their connection. AND I feel the "bumped" person should get some kind of credit. Say $25 (airline credit, not cash) in addition to whatever extra they paid for their seat (if they paid anything)?

AND I feel the "bumped" person should get some kind of credit. Say $25 (airline credit, not cash) in addition to whatever extra they paid for their seat (if they paid anything)?
I agree.

Some years ago on SW, a parent and young child last to board. Don't know why. I'm assuming child was old enough for a tickets, since two seats were needed. The general "would someone please move" went out. repeated a few times, no one moved. FA finally said this plane is not moving until someone moves. No offers of anything. But someone did move.

This is great if you ask me. I’m likely going to book a trip on United later this year now. This is gonna save me loads, more spending money at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter