United allowing families to sit together for free

So we will be flying with a toddler for the first time in August. I would rather avoid any issues so I can and should still pay for specific seats- am I correct?
one thing to remember if using a carseat with your toddler, the carseat must be in the window seat and you will be in the middle seat to be next to toddler

one thing to remember if using a carseat with your toddler, the carseat must be in the window seat and you will be in the middle seat to be next to toddler
I did not realize you need a car seat on the plane. Do you need a specific kind or do they all fit?

I did not realize you need a car seat on the plane. Do you need a specific kind or do they all fit?
you do not need but over 2 years old and they have to sit in own seat with seat belt fastened. if you decide to use make sure seat has sticker that states approved which is most. booster seats without belts that use car belts are not usable.

A lot of people fly with lap infants, but it’s really not that safe. If you’re on a particularly turbulent flight, you may not be able to hang on to the kid. Infants should be secured in their own seat for safety, however, it’s legal to fly with them in your lap.

I believe most, if not all, car seats manufactured in the US are FAA compliant.

I think the "fairness" issue comes up with families having to pay for seats because its not really a choice. If I fly with only my husband, we like to sit together but it isn't necessary that we sit together so I wouldn't feel the need to pay extra for seat selection. When we fly with our kids, it's a necessity so it's no longer an option for us to not sit together.
But who are you to decide that it's not necessary for another couple? If one of them is an extremely nervous flier or has some need that the traveling companion can fulfill? Should they not be entitled to HAVE to sit together?
I find it strange that you can't leave your kid at home alone for 30 minutes but for some reason you can leave them sitting alone on a hours-long flight?
Well, you are on the same plane. It's not like it would take you 15 minutes (or however long) to get to your child.
You have literally argued for dozens of pages in two threads half a year apart about this. Your definition of fine with it is different than mine, I guess.
As I said earlier, I think their idea is a good compromise. If I understand it correctly:
* Families with kids under 12 would not be allowed to book basic economy.
* The airline will reserve 'x' rows at the back of the plane to be assigned by company employees when they see a need for family seating.
* If there is not seating together for families left, the families will need to take another flight (with no change fees).

If that's how it works in practice, I'm fine with it.

But who are you to decide that it's not necessary for another couple? If one of them is an extremely nervous flier or has some need that the traveling companion can fulfill? Should they not be entitled to HAVE to sit together?

Because being a fully functioning adult who is nervous about flying is completely different from being separated from a 3 year old child. This isn't difficult.

Because being a fully functioning adult who is nervous about flying is completely different from being separated from a 3 year old child. This isn't difficult.
The new policy applies to children under 12. Being separated from a 3 year old is completely different from being seperated from a 11.5 year old child. This isn't difficult.

Not need, but I always did when mine were of that age. It's more comfortable for them, they are used to it, and you're probably going to need it at your destination anyway.
Most all popular car seats in the US are also FAA approved, as long as it's not incredibly wide it will fit, you may have to raise the armrest. Also usually gets you on the plane first since it will take a minute to get the seat in.

Well, you are on the same plane. It's not like it would take you 15 minutes (or however long) to get to your child.

As I said earlier, I think their idea is a good compromise. If I understand it correctly:
* Families with kids under 12 would not be allowed to book basic economy.
* The airline will reserve 'x' rows at the back of the plane to be assigned by company employees when they see a need for family seating.
* If there is not seating together for families left, the families will need to take another flight (with no change fees).

If that's how it works in practice, I'm fine with it.

To me, the first part is the rub. I travel at least annually with my Mom who is in her 80s. She needs help onto the plane, walking the aisles to the bathroom, and just generally I need to be by her. I try to book 2 aisle seats, so I am right across to help her when she needs to stand up. So, I actually have a need to be by a family member and will always pay the extra to ensure that I am by her. But, it kind of seems unfair that I would have to but a family with children under 12 (I am ok up to about 7-8 being automatically seated with a parent) does not have to.

And you know what? After thinking about it some more, I'm fine with parents booking BE, they just have to be assigned seats in the "family" section... wherever the airline reserves that (I think at the very back).

It's been mentioned that some parents don't think it's "fair" that they're not eligible to "save money" by booking BE as others are. But there's all kinds of limitations... those under 55 don't qualify for "senior discounts" offered at many places. I guess those of us that don't qualify should complain. Since this is a Disney board... those of us who don't live in Florida don't qualify for the Florida discount for Disney. Is that worth complaining about?

I don't deny that parents need/should sit with their kids. I DON'T think that should extend to age 12, but that's up to the airline. Airlines allow 5yo to fly "unaccompanied".

And you know what? After thinking about it some more, I'm fine with parents booking BE, they just have to be assigned seats in the "family" section... wherever the airline reserves that (I think at the very back).

It's been mentioned that some parents don't think it's "fair" that they're not eligible to "save money" by booking BE as others are. But there's all kinds of limitations... those under 55 don't qualify for "senior discounts" offered at many places. I guess those of us that don't qualify should complain. Since this is a Disney board... those of us who don't live in Florida don't qualify for the Florida discount for Disney. Is that worth complaining about?

I don't deny that parents need/should sit with their kids. I DON'T think that should extend to age 12, but that's up to the airline. Airlines allow 5yo to fly "unaccompanied".
I'm guessing there will be far more reserved family passenger seats at less desirable times like late evening and red eyes.
During the peak day times most "extra" seats are already frequently used for flight cancellations, delays and equipment changes to accommodate regular passengers.

On the subject of car seats;
We ALWAYS bought a seat for each of our kids and ALWAYS had them in car seats until they were big enough to fly without one. I have a couple of beefs though;
1) Why on earth would you ever bring your kid on a flight as a "lap child"? I mean, you do realize that the pressurized metal tube you are sitting in will be travelling at several hundred miles an hour, at 30k in the air right? Why would you (rightly so) strap your kid in a 5-point harness on a quick trip to the grocery store, top speed 25 mph, and not on an AIRPLANE? Seems crazy to me.
Be that as it may...
2) why do the airlines encourage you to do this by allowing you to bring the kid on this way for FREE?
And OK, it's a choice, so be it, but...
3) Why am I then charged full fare to have my kid in his own seat in a car seat when it is me, and not lap-kid parent who clearly has the safety of my kid and, (let's be honest, the kid becomes a projectile if something goes wrong), the safety of the airline crew in mind?
It makes a lot more sense, current regulations in mind, for me to book the seat for my lap-child-aged kid, then get that seat refunded if there is an empty seat on the plane. After all, that's the policy if you are of larger size and choose to book a 2nd seat on the plane. I mean, is it so hard to cut responsible parents a break once in a while?

Too late now, all my kids are older, but still...

On the subject of car seats;
We ALWAYS bought a seat for each of our kids and ALWAYS had them in car seats until they were big enough to fly without one. I have a couple of beefs though;
1) Why on earth would you ever bring your kid on a flight as a "lap child"? I mean, you do realize that the pressurized metal tube you are sitting in will be travelling at several hundred miles an hour, at 30k in the air right? Why would you (rightly so) strap your kid in a 5-point harness on a quick trip to the grocery store, top speed 25 mph, and not on an AIRPLANE? Seems crazy to me.
Be that as it may...
2) why do the airlines encourage you to do this by allowing you to bring the kid on this way for FREE?
And OK, it's a choice, so be it, but...
3) Why am I then charged full fare to have my kid in his own seat in a car seat when it is me, and not lap-kid parent who clearly has the safety of my kid and, (let's be honest, the kid becomes a projectile if something goes wrong), the safety of the airline crew in mind?
It makes a lot more sense, current regulations in mind, for me to book the seat for my lap-child-aged kid, then get that seat refunded if there is an empty seat on the plane. After all, that's the policy if you are of larger size and choose to book a 2nd seat on the plane. I mean, is it so hard to cut responsible parents a break once in a while?

Too late now, all my kids are older, but still...
Why? Because the FAA makes the rules. Many parents make a choice that works for them within those currently allowed rules.
It sounds like you made the right choice for your family back in the day. Kids grow up fast for sure.

Why? Because the FAA makes the rules. Many parents make a choice that works for them within those currently allowed rules.
It sounds like you made the right choice for your family back in the day. Kids grow up fast for sure.
Oh I definitely don't regret it purely for one trip alone;
DS was little and we were on a SEA-LAX flight home. it was a calm flight and we had a bulkhead row of 3 seats so we got him out of his carseat to get the wiggles out. They announced we were on descent into LAX so we strapped him back in and put on our seatbelts. Not more than a couple of minutes later we hit turbulence from a jumbo in front of us and the plane dove. Scary enough, but an airline steward in the back of the plane was not strapped in yet and hit the ceiling and broke a couple of ribs. He was clearly caught off guard and pretty upset about it. We were so thankful DS was in his carseat.
To anyone who thinks parents are getting a break by getting seated with their kids - what would you have done if you were seated by an unrelated kid in that situation because you wouldn't "give up your seat"?

what would you have done if you were seated by an unrelated kid in that situation because you wouldn't "give up your seat"?
IF it wasn't the failure of the parent to plan ahead, I may approach the situation differently.

I flew alot with my two boys when they were kids, often w/o my husband. Somehow I managed to book seats together.
IF it was because of the failure of the parent to plan ahead, I'd call them out on it.
Honestly, I would wonder why the parents expected me to "give up my seat" but were unwilling to take care of their own business and purchase the seat the same as many others on the flight did. Then I would wonder how in the world folks became so entitled as to expect me to give up my seat when they had the opportunity to choose their childs seat but did not... THEN I would say no to their request, since there are reasons that are 100% valid to me as to why I choose the seat I did, and not anything I need to explain to anyone else. But I will, you see my brother is a private pilot, my paternal grandfather was a private pilot and my maternal grandparents passed away in a commercial airline crash so I'm picky where I sit. I have very little patience for folks who aren't picky about where little Johnny sits until they get on the plane.

Isn’t the policy that children get to sit with one parent? Not the whole family is guaranteed to sit together?
The way it reads is "if you’re flying with children under 12, we have new tools that make it easier for them to sit next to an adult in your party for free. Soon this will also include families who have Basic Economy tickets."

I don't know if they interpret that if you're all on the same itinerary will the system charge you for children not qualifying for free or not.

It's going to happen that a parent is traveling with a child who qualifies as well as one who doesn't qualify. I also don't know if the secondary clause "If seats next to each other aren’t available on your flight because of last minute bookings or unscheduled aircraft changes, you can switch to another flight with availability in the same cabin for free and won’t be charged for the difference in fare." will apply to that if a parent has one child qualifying but one that isn't.

To anyone who thinks parents are getting a break by getting seated with their kids - what would you have done if you were seated by an unrelated kid in that situation because you wouldn't "give up your seat"?
What situation?
Kid strapped into their car seat and hit turbulence? Nothing, because presumably nothing happened.
Child NOT strapped in, turbulence hit, and they're injured? Same as I'd do for ANYONE (child or adult)... ask if they were OK. If serious injury, call the FA.

The only reason I've heard that parents DON'T purchase seats together is to save money. Now, granted, there are sometimes extenuating circumstances... death (or death expected) in the family and you have to book a flight leaving within the next week. That should be pretty darn rare.

However, I'm also understanding if the family has missed a connection, or the airline has changed aircraft on them and reassigned seats all over the place. Then I think the airline should ask for volunteers to change seats, and offer a "carrot" (extra miles, airline credit, meal/drink, etc) for those moved out of their seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter