• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Universal in a wheelchair

diamond

Earning My Ears
:cool1: Has anyone had experience at Universa Studios with a wheel chair? Do you think it's a good idea to get the express pass for $15? Thanks fo the input.

Diamond

It depends when you go and what you want to do there- we did it with a child in a special needs stroller so I can answer some of your questions if you have any.

We were there in June and the Universal parks were pretty empty because they were predicting severe storms (it rained a bit :rolleyes: )

Let me know- we had a great time.

I haven't been there since January, but I can't see much has changed. Just as the previous poster offered - please feel free to ask specific questions and we'll be happy to answer them!

We took my son to Universal in July and bar far one of the best parks for wheelchairs. He cannot transfers (is paralised from the shoulders down) and the only rides he couldn't go on were The Mummy returns, Back to the Future and Men in Black. I found the staff to be very helpful to. biggest queue we waiting is was Jaws. I do think however the $15 would be worth it for the fast pass. I didn't know there was such a thing. We went also to Islands of Adeventure as we have another son and althouse DS enjoyed the day if you can't transfer there was nothing he could have went on

For my sons level of disability I found MK to be the worst for him re rides he couldn't go on.

please feel free to ask if I can help

Universal was far superior than Disney when it comes to handicapped individuals from experiencing the "magic".

I traveled with someone in a wheelchair who had suffered a stroke. We were able to ride all rides except one. We went on the Mummy, however, it is really far too violent a ride unless someone has enough strength to keep themselves in the seat.

On Men in Black, they attached his wheelchair to a platform that comes out of the floor. When the car comes around, they slide out two of the three back seats and slide the platform with the wheelchair in. The let us ride twice in a row as it took about 5 minutes to get him strapped in.

Back to the future is also pretty violent as far as the moves the car makes. I wouldn't recommend this ride for someone in the physical condition I described above.

MGM studios wasn't too bad either. However, the Magic Kingdom I felt was pretty lousy regarding wheelchairs.

Just my thoughts,

Steve aka Fritzie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter