Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

So there are many challenges people may have that, while they are quite real (like having to stand in line for a long time when you have bathroom issues), they are not considered a disability and thus businesses are not required to offer an accommodation.
Why wouldn't bathroom issues fall under the ADA? Having to go to the bathroom suddenly can be caused by spastic bladder (neurological) or by pelvic floor disorders (musculoskeletal). Having IBS is a digestive condition. According to the ADA website (pasted below) it does. I know that IBCCS focuses on sensory stuff, but I would think legally Universal has to accomodate all disabilities. Doesn't it?

"The ADA defines a physical impairment as a physiological disorder or condition, anatomical loss, or cosmetic disfigurement that impacts one or more of these body systems:

• Neurological
  • Special-sense organs
  • Musculoskeletal
  • Digestive
  • Cardiovascular
  • Respiratory
  • Reproductive
  • Hemic and lymphatic
  • Endocrine
  • Skin
  • Genitourinary"

Why wouldn't bathroom issues fall under the ADA? Having to go to the bathroom suddenly can be caused by spastic bladder (neurological) or by pelvic floor disorders (musculoskeletal). Having IBS is a digestive condition. According to the ADA website (pasted below) it does. I know that IBCCS focuses on sensory stuff, but I would think legally Universal has to accomodate all disabilities. Doesn't it?

"The ADA defines a physical impairment as a physiological disorder or condition, anatomical loss, or cosmetic disfigurement that impacts one or more of these body systems:

• Neurological
  • Special-sense organs
  • Musculoskeletal
  • Digestive
  • Cardiovascular
  • Respiratory
  • Reproductive
  • Hemic and lymphatic
  • Endocrine
  • Skin
  • Genitourinary"

I would imagine that would just mean the park has to provide a public bathroom.

Regarding bathroom issues. There is such a wide range how it impacts someone. Chron's is considered a disability and there is way more to it then just needing to run to the bathroom. Running to the bathroom can last for several hours. There is often pain, spasms, extreme fatigue etc. It is autoimmune and is a qualifying condition for SS disability. It's very frustrating that they are using a blanket to deny all bathroom issues. My friends son has UC and he had to drop out of college and is having difficulty holding a job. Mind boggling to me that that wouldn't qualify for a pass.

• Neurological
  • Special-sense organs
  • Musculoskeletal
  • Digestive
  • Cardiovascular
  • Respiratory
  • Reproductive
  • Hemic and lymphatic
  • Endocrine
  • Skin
  • Genitourinary"
They are accommodating bathroom issues, just not in the way people want them to.

That’s what people seem to be stuck on - they want a particular accommodation, and Universal is under no obligation to provide that.

They are accommodating bathroom issues, just not in the way people want them to.

That’s what people seem to be stuck on - they want a particular accommodation, and Universal is under no obligation to provide that.
I think the disconnect for most people is how Universal is willing to accommodate other medical conditions (unrelated to cognitive disabilities), but not severe bathroom issues when the end result of not having an AAP can be similar.

However, when I really think about the reasons why Universal would blanket ban bathroom issues as a reason for the AAP, it does make a lot of sense from their perspective.

I think the disconnect for most people is how Universal is willing to accommodate other medical conditions (unrelated to cognitive disabilities), but not severe bathroom issues when the end result of not having an AAP can be similar.

However, when I really think about the reasons why Universal would blanket ban bathroom issues as a reason for the AAP, it does make a lot of sense from their perspective.
I think some people are stuck on bathroom issues is that the accommodation they are providing, leaving the line and coming back to meet your party, isn't always feasible or realistic. My friend's son could be in and out of the bathroom for an hour, is his party supposed to wait an extra hour there for him to come back? Or a parent and child? Can't leave a young child alone. There are many instances where this wouldn't work. I think that's why people are stuck on this.

Yeah.
I can understand »too old », but they said they didn’t find anything that told them acceptable dates
My son had a doctor’s note for a scholarship he got in 2020. Would that be too old? He was at the neurologist in April and doesn’t go back for a year. They charge for documents outside of an appointment. Primary care doc would give one easily and at no charge. He was homeschooled, so no IEP.

I have not. My daughter (a teen who applied by herself since she has been getting the disability pass for awhile) said that she did get an email asking for her to submit her IEP and she responded that she already did. I explained to her that when she initially uploaded it, it only uploaded 1 page. She didn't realize that. I'm not sure what it happening with her status now. Neither of us have twitter but I will call if she doesn't hear back soon.
My son is homeschooled, so no IEP.

He’s going in September with friends who all have disabilities and are part of a disability advocate group.

It's frustrating when the naysayers that keep repeating that bathroom issues are an easy fix, as usually the ones who have never had to deal with this kind of disease. It's life altering and debilitating. When I have a flare I can be in the bathroom for an hour or more. My spot in line won't even exist anymore by that point. I also travel solo a lot of the time. So now I have to trust strangers to be understanding and not put up a fight if I need to leave and come back much later?

Universal's response to this is shortsighted and disappointing.

• Neurological
  • Special-sense organs
  • Musculoskeletal
  • Digestive
  • Cardiovascular
  • Respiratory
  • Reproductive
  • Hemic and lymphatic
  • Endocrine
  • Skin
  • Genitourinary"
The point is that just because you have a disability as defined by the ADA doesn’t mean you qualify for an attraction assistance pass at universal or a DAS at Disney. Most disabilities won’t qualify for one. No one is saying that bathroom issues, or any other issues, don’t qualify someone as disabled. It’s just the type of accommodation that is appropriate. Just like every child who has a disability as defined by the ADA won’t need an IEP because their having a disability doesn’t automatically mean they need accommodations at school.

It's frustrating when the naysayers that keep repeating that bathroom issues are an easy fix, as usually the ones who have never had to deal with this kind of disease. It's life altering and debilitating. When I have a flare I can be in the bathroom for an hour or more. My spot in line won't even exist anymore by that point. I also travel solo a lot of the time. So now I have to trust strangers to be understanding and not put up a fight if I need to leave and come back much later?

Universal's response to this is shortsighted and disappointing.

Listen, I get it and I hear you. I have lived with IBS for 25 years now. I can't work outside the home because of it. It has ruined countless days of my life that were supposed to be spent doing fun things. I have had to cancel plans literally hundreds of times because I've been stuck in a bathroom literally all day. I have missed flights, almost missed graduation ceremonies, missed doctors appointments, hair appointments, holiday celebrations, etc. It really sucks.

That said, there is NO accommodation in a theme park that can help when I'm having a flare. Literally nothing save for a toilet actually being the ride vehicle. I just have to miss out entirely. My son has had a DAS at Disney for years and the way it works wouldn't help at all. When you gotta go, you gotta go. When I'm having a flare and HAVE to be away from a bathroom, I use adult diapers, because what is the other option? But a theme park day is not one of those "must do" things, so I simply skip it on days where I'm not confident I can be away from a toilet for more than 30 minutes at a time.

My IBS also causes frequent urination. I am at the point of needing to always wear a pad due to bladder leaks that happen spontaneously when I have spasms.

This is a tricky thing for theme parks to accommodate because at SOME point, you are going to have to figure out whether your bathroom issues are even compatible with a day at a theme park. I imagine there are many disabilities like this, where a logistical need overrides the ability to provide an adequate accommodation. This is where personal responsibility comes in. It isn't fair. Nothing about having a condition like this is fair.

My husband with combat PTSD has had to take a months long break from theme parks. He just can't handle the crowds at this point without spiraling into a panic attack almost immediately upon entering. An assistance pass doesn't address that, so it's useless. I took our kids to WDW last week and he stayed home. It makes me really sad, but neither Universal nor Disney is responsible for making everything accessible to everyone at all times. They are doing their best, but sometimes personal limitations override that.

Last edited:
With that kind of reasoning you might as well just get rid of the disability pass altogether. Saying "you shouldn't go to a theme park if you're that sick" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Being able to wait outside of the line means a lot less stress on my body, which is something that initiates my flares to begin with. A huge percentage of IBS is mental and the anxiety that goes along with it.

With that kind of reasoning you might as well just get rid of the disability pass altogether. Saying "you shouldn't go to a theme park if you're that sick" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Being able to wait outside of the line means a lot less stress on my body, which is something that initiates my flares to begin with. A huge percentage of IBS is mental and the anxiety that goes along with it.

I didn't say that. But I agree with it. No one should be at a theme park if they are too sick to handle it.

If waiting in lines causes you ANXIETY, then ask for the accommodations for ANXIETY, not IBS.

I very much understand how anxiety triggers IBS. I ALSO have Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Last edited:
I think some people are stuck on bathroom issues is that the accommodation they are providing, leaving the line and coming back to meet your party, isn't always feasible or realistic. My friend's son could be in and out of the bathroom for an hour, is his party supposed to wait an extra hour there for him to come back? Or a parent and child? Can't leave a young child alone. There are many instances where this wouldn't work. I think that's why people are stuck on this.
I wonder if having a some sort of checkpoint throughout the line would help those ppl. Like, you reached checkpoint 2 (30 min of line for example) but have to leave to the bathroom. Maybe they give you a ticket or something that allows you to go back to that point. I don't know how it would work logistically but in theory that would cover parents with small children and solo visitors.

I wonder if having a some sort of checkpoint throughout the line would help those ppl. Like, you reached checkpoint 2 (30 min of line for example) but have to leave to the bathroom. Maybe they give you a ticket or something that allows you to go back to that point. I don't know how it would work logistically but in theory that would cover parents with small children and solo visitors.

This is effectively what WDW does in rides with Lightning Lanes. Just talk to a CM when you have to leave the line. They will help you out. It's when people DON'T talk to a CM and try to do it on their own that they get into trouble.

I feel like Universal IS (or already has) going to implement a system like this and this is why they are suggesting that you will be able to leave to use the bathroom and come back.

I didn't say that. But I agree with it. No one should be at a theme park if they are too sick to handle it.

If waiting in lines causes you ANXIETY, then ask for the accommodations for ANXIETY, not IBS.

I very much understand how anxiety triggers IBS. I ALSO have Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

I did end up having to resort to saying anxiety and that qualified me for the Gold Pass. So I guess it all worked out in the end.

This is effectively what WDW does in rides with Lightning Lanes. Just talk to a CM when you have to leave the line. They will help you out. It's when people DON'T talk to a CM and try to do it on their own that they get into trouble.

I feel like Universal IS (or already has) going to implement a system like this and this is why they are suggesting that you will be able to leave to use the bathroom and come back.
Disney one step ahead!

Is something like having a handicap pass for your car or license plate an accepted form of documentation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter