Unpopular Opinions

I personally could do without the ports. I am cruising to get away from it all and would happily stay on the ship the entire time. Note - I don't mind that they are part of the trip - as that means less people on board when we are in a port of call!

Still have yet to go on my first cruise, but not too interested in Carribean ports. Grew up in SoFla, family in the Keys, not a beach person. Now, when I eventually go on a British Isles cruise, I will turn into Port Commando.

I am not fond of some ports, that you only have 4-6 hours in. You barely get off the ship when you are having to get back on board. The short amount of time is not enough time to really experience the port, you are rushing around trying to get everything done and miss the joy of experiencing a new place and culture.

I am not fond of some ports, that you only have 4-6 hours in. You barely get off the ship when you are having to get back on board. The short amount of time is not enough time to really experience the port, you are rushing around trying to get everything done and miss the joy of experiencing a new place and culture.
Exactly. So for me, if I want to experience a place, I'll take a land trip there and really experience it. Of course, the ports can give you enough of a taste sometimes. For example, hubby had never been to Cozumel before and wanted to check it out. So when we docked there last week we headed off the ship and within a short time, he had enough. The vendors are obnoxious with the calling you into the store. Good thing is, now we don't ever have to get off at Cozumel again (unless we pop off to pick up Rum cake).

Don't care for Castaway Cay or any of the shows. Avoid the sail away party and Pirate Night.
Have had a verandah and spent about 20 mins on it.
Love: Palo, Remy, room service, movies, port adventures and bringing our own wine on board.

Don't care for the pools or the deck parties. I just get freaked out by huge crowds, I guess. Love concierge, cabanas, verandahs, Palo, any quiet places, and bringing my own booze.

You can come on my sailing and we can just wave to each other from across the lounge. Heaven. :)

Been reading this thread and ready to add my unpopular opinion.

-not a fan of Castaway Cay. Last time we were there for 2 hours and then went back to the ship. That was fun.

-I like the cookies from Cookies Too.

-I do NOT like the cookies from room service. Truly don't get their appeal. Stale to me. It goes with how terrible dessert is overall on the ship from Cabanas to the MDRs.

Last edited:
Ah, the old dessert issue. Haven't cruised yet and I'm intellectually dying to find out how it is they manage to ruin something like dessert.

Have to say I am not really a fan of the mouse. Don't watch the Disney movies either. Of course when I see the characters around the ship you can't help but smile, but off the ship don't get into that stuff. We tried Disney trivia once or twice and realized how little we knew.

Favorite character is Tigger, not on the ship., should be? Now if they did a duck tales theme I would be all for it. In my 40's and really excited for the duck tales reboot:)

What are some of your opinions about DCL/ports/excursions/etc. that many other people seem to disagree with?

For me personally, I liked Atlantis. I know a lot of people don't think it is worth it or didn't enjoy it, but we will be going back there for our second cruise this summer.

What's your unpopular opinion?

We loved Atlantis too! We didn't get to do nearly as much as we wanted to.. my youngest was a bit tired lol. But we are going to go back our next cruise as well. I really enjoyed myself there.

It's funny; I am the opposite. Villains Tonight was my least favorite show.

Villains Tonight was our family's favorite show. I am so glad that I did not listen to the board and tried all of the shows. Everyone has different individual taste and should consider that and try things out for themselves. We also did not find Nassau very scary or unsafe compared to most US cities.

My unpopular opinion: I truly believe that people don't feel safe in Nassau b/c of the majority bahamian/african descent people more so than the area. NYC is dirty, rat infested, and ppl are pushing ppl onto the tracks yet ppl still line up to go for a visit.

I totally agree with you. People that are unexposed to this type of environment are the ones with this opinion.

Ah, the old dessert issue. Haven't cruised yet and I'm intellectually dying to find out how it is they manage to ruin something like dessert.

I'm a dessert freak. I love dessert. We stayed at the Contemporary and those cupcakes the size of a baby's head were fantastic. I keep hoping for better dessert options from these menus I've seen but so far...not hugely impressed. I'll hope for the best during our cruise :) I do hear if you're a dessert person Carnival is the way to go, but based off of prior meals at WDW and other Disney properties I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll pull off some to-die-for desserts :D

I think Disney cruises are getting too expensive. We have been on 16 and always thought they were worth that little extra, but that little is now a lot. The EBTA next year would be 50% more expensive than last year so we're giving it a miss. The European cruises on the Magic are way too expensive and I'm amazed they sell out.

I'm a dessert freak. I love dessert. We stayed at the Contemporary and those cupcakes the size of a baby's head were fantastic. I keep hoping for better dessert options from these menus I've seen but so far...not hugely impressed. I'll hope for the best during our cruise :) I do hear if you're a dessert person Carnival is the way to go, but based off of prior meals at WDW and other Disney properties I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll pull off some to-die-for desserts :D
Yum! We always have lunch at least once at the Contemporary when we go to WDW. It's an excuse to ride the monorail and I LOVE those cupcakes!

I think Disney cruises are getting too expensive. We have been on 16 and always thought they were worth that little extra, but that little is now a lot. The EBTA next year would be 50% more expensive than last year so we're giving it a miss. The European cruises on the Magic are way too expensive and I'm amazed they sell out.

This. Just got a brochure from RCCL in the mail about Anthem of the Seas - they even have bumper cars!! We're just getting to an age where the kids are going to want actual activities (sports, rock climbing, etc), and as a bright side for us, Anthem will be sailing out of NYC as well.

I understand with the "nickel and diming" sometimes the prices will be close (still way less if you get a sale or don't go for a suite) but as much as I'm sure we'll enjoy our August Fantasy cruise, I'm pretty sure that unless they start adding more for the middle of the pack families/kids, we'll be trying out other lines.

Sorry, but DCL's pastry chefs really could take some lessons from the French pastry chefs at EPCOT. The desserts on DCL just aren't that great. Their idea of breakfast pastries is to defrost donuts. They're Krispy Kreme donuts, but some nice fresh pastries would be a welcome change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter