Up Where They Walk, Up Where They Run: Going the Distance with Disney & My Dissertation (comments welcome!)

I'm new to the forum and just want to say I've really enjoyed catching up with your journal, and felt genuine sadness when I saw you got Covid during Marathon Weekend. So not fair! Glad to see you're running again and good job rescuing runaway dogs. :)

2. The struggle is real right now. I am very stressed & my watch is mad at me. It’s just the season of life I’m in right now I think but I hope it gets better soon because it’s not sustainable.
This is me.

3. Despite the stress, I’m still doing all my PW training. Just too tired to post about it. My 5.5 miles last weekend went well. Super easy & no nutrition practice problems. Honestly, running is what’s keeping me from falling apart.
This is also me.

:hug:

We can do this!

Which races are you doing?

I'm new to the forum
Welcome!!! Thank you for your kind words. :) glad you’re here!
We can do this!

Which races are you doing?
I am doing everything (including yoga) bc I have no chill (and I am obsessed with Belle, Jasmine, and Moana). Hahaha. How about you? I can’t wait to meet you! We will get through this.

Posting about the dog I rescued made me realize I never posted my "Castaway Cay 5K" recap.
Here's a quick one (lol).

"Castaway Cay 5k Recap"

So, obviously I did not board the Disney Wish. But I had my Castaway Cay 5k bib and was feeling okay enough (/antsy enough) to do a 5k walk around my parents' neighborhood on the day of the race.

I wore my planned Ariel outfit:
ccc 5k bib.jpg

Not pictured was the best accessory I had...

ariel and max.jpg
My very own Max!
(Image description: Me walking in an Ariel bound with an Old English Sheepdog looking up at me.)

During the run, I rescued an escaped dog. I called the number on its collar and returned him to his owner. I guess he has a new habit of jumping the fence.

dog rescue.jpg
(Image description: Me holding the collar of a dog.)

A little kid told me that she loved my outfit and a woman said I was giving her "The Little Mermaid." I was like, yes! Haha. After 3.1 sunny and slow miles later, Maggie (Max) and I were done. Not on an island but still a good time.

CCC 5k.jpg
(Image description: My watch reading 3.1 miles juxtaposed in front of a smiling Maggie.)

maggie run.jpg
(Image description: Me kneeling next to Maggie, who is sticking her tongue out.)

Hello friends! I am alive. And here to finally share a Princess Weekend race report. I can't believe it was already over two weeks ago. Lucky for you, since I waited so long I have probably forgotten a lot and will likely be less long-winded than usual, haha.

2023 Princess Weekend Race & Trip Report

Wednesday, February 22: Arrival Day

My arrival day was fairly uneventful. I worked all day, went home after work and scarfed down some food, then got to the airport. My flight was non-stop through SW, and I arrived in Orlando around 10 PM. I took a Lyft to my hotel (POR) which cost about $60-- same as MW and way too much. I wonder if it's because of the late night arrival. I was staying in a Royal Room at POR with my friend J and his boyfriend Z, but they wouldn't arrive until the next evening. I checked in and made my way to my room, unpacked and tried to settle in. It was pretty late by this point, and I had to wake up in a few short hours for yoga the next morning. Overall, an uneventful and easy travel day. Side note: the room was beautiful. I loved all of the thematic touches. POR is definitely more spread out than POFQ, but the Royal Rooms weren't too far from the main building-- just across the bridge. The resort itself is also just so pretty and peaceful.

orlando floor.jpg
(image description: my feet and suitcase against a beautiful flower mural on the floor of the Orlando airport)

Thursday, February 23: Yoga + Expo (+MK Surprise!)
After sleeping hardly at all (my watch did not even register any sleep), I woke up super early and got ready for yoga. This was my first time doing yoga at a race weekend. I am a certified yoga teacher, so I was very much looking forward to this. The event guide said that there would be one bus from each resort at 3:30 AM (?), and I got to the POR bus stop around 3:15 AM probably. That bus was on its way by 3:20 AM, so I am hoping that the one bus information was a lie or some people probably got screwed over. I really liked yoga, but the logistics of the morning are just a lot. We arrived at the TTC, where we had to stand in line to go through security. I was one of the first groups there and was thus very far in the front of the line, but my friend C arrived later so I opted to move back with her. Someone in line recognized me from Instagram which was kind of cool. Once we made it through security, we had to wait to get on the ferry. The whole situation was honestly quite stressful... it gave Black Friday vibes with people running to get in the front of the different waiting areas. After the ferry, we were at MK where we then waited again to be walked to Main Street in groups. It was just a lot of standing and waiting. And I feel like the running rush was not worth it-- there were plenty of spots once I got let in, even a few in the very front row. On Main Street, the mats were already set out with a strap for transporting them after, a towel, and water bottle. I had read reports from last year that the mats were poor quality, but these ones were thicker. They weren't really yoga mats... more like foam-type exercise mats. The mats were wet because of the dew, though, and I was glad I had brought my Crowned Athletics yoga towel to lay over it.

yoga flat lay .jpg
(image description: my yoga flat lay-- the Anna Crowned Athletics leggings/bra/headband/scrunchie)

While we waited for class to start, C & I walked around and took some pictures in front of the castle and at our mats and just sat and chatted. It was nice. The class itself was, in my opinion, mostly glorified stretching. It was led by two instructors (who I think are partners irl), and they both gave off very different energies. We did a little bit of vinyasa with a few sun salutations but mostly were down on the mat. There were also instructors scattered through Main Street. Something funny/annoying was that people (hi, I'm people) were wearing their Magic Band+ and inadvertently setting off the statues. So, my practice was frequently interrupted with the laughs of Goofy and the barks of Pluto lol. I also wish that they had chosen Disney music. There's a lo-fi Disney playlist (that is officially from Disney) on Spotify that would have been perfect and made the practice even more special. At the end, Cinderella came out on stage and they set off some fireworks which was cool (minus the Cinderella part-- she's my nemesis, but I guess it is her castle).

a + c castle yoga.jpg
(image description: C and I posing in front of the castle. We are dressed as Elsa and Anna)

yoga castle view.jpg
(image description: my perspective from my yoga mat. I probably shouldn't put this picture on the internet for free so you're welcome lol)

Afterward, C & I took some more pictures, including some cute ones laying down on Main Street. I'm not sure I would say that the sun had officially risen during sunrise yoga, but it was light out by the time we left. I can't remember how we got out... did we have to go back to the TTC or did they have busses at MK? I think the latter, but I don't remember.

alyssa main street.jpg
(image description: me laying down on Main Street in front of the castle, smiling with my head in my hands)

My original plan had been to return to my hotel room to shower and then go straight to the expo because I had early entry with CrD, but C had a surprise for me-- she got us Tron previews through her friend who is a cast member (D)! So, I went back to shower and get ready. I also got some quick breakfast at the food court-- vegan Mickey waffles and potatoes. It was okay.

(also, hi, it's me again-- the person who is not supposed to be as long-winded during this trip report)

I decided to meet my friend at her hotel (ASM, which was about as far away from POR as you can get), where D would pick us up. This was also a surprise for our friend J, who C was rooming with, but the surprise was kept from her until we literally got into MK. (The surprise was ruined for me because C had to figure out how to get me to not go to the expo, lol). It was fun seeing J try to figure out what we were doing because she thought we were going to the Expo. We had to go to the TTC to check in with D and get our wristbands (v official). I'm sure everyone thinks this, but the TTC is not fun between parking, the tram, then the transport to MK, etc. It just takes forever. No complaints here, though-- I was happy to get a Tron preview! D was very kind to make this happen for us, especially since they don't even like roller coasters and were opting not to ride. Another nice thing about the preview was that it included entry into MK, with the assumption that you would just go and ride and leave (which we did).

Tron itself was awesome! There was hardly any wait. The queue was fun/pretty, and they used the same type of locker set up in the queue that Universal uses for the Velocicoaster. If I remember correctly, J and I got to sit in the front row. I went in with little expectations or prior knowledge, and overall thought the ride was really fun. I especially liked the bike type seats. I don't think I would wait a long time for it, mostly because it was relatively short, and I would like to ride it at night as well because I think the lighting would add to the experience. Overall, it was really fun, and I am so grateful I had the opportunity/experience!

tron photo.jpg
(image description: C, J, and I posing with props outside of the Tron ride at MK. Do I know what we are holding in this picture? No. I do know that I'm pretty good at the Tron level in Kingdom Hearts.)

Afterward, we left and made our way back to the TTC. It was really, really hot outside. This will come up later. D drove us to the Expo and dropped us off. Since I have CrD, I was able to just go upstairs to the booths where I pick up bibs + shirts, etc. all at once. There was no one there except me. I checked my bibs and shirts this time after the MW snafu (they forgot to give me my 10K shirt and had me in the wrong corral for the 10K as well), and all was good. They had cookies and drinks, so I grabbed a few to give to my friends since I can't eat them. They let me skip the VQ and go straight into the Expo, which was a disaster and very stressful. The early entry CrD experience during MW was much, much better. I wanted the medal replica pins for the 5K, 10K, and half marathon, but unfortunately they were out of the half ones by the time I got there. I ordered an overpriced one on ebay though. I also picked up a magnet, a long-sleeve Moana shirt, the white Moana tank top, and the pink race weekend tank top. I like how that top had all of the races/distances on it since I did all of the races (it was my first completed Challenge+). I was disappointed with the PW ears. I didn't like the colors and the crown was off-center which was annoying to me. I wanted to check out using mobile check out, but I had absolutely no service in the expo hall (and anywhere at ESPN, I would realize) so I had to wait in the very, very long line. I was also stressed because I was going to meet up with my friend and was picking up a shirt for her as well but was having trouble contacting her due to the lack of service. Overall, it was a bad time but I survived and made it out of there. I took only one picture during the expo, which was with a Lumiere figure near the CrD check in area. I did not go to any of the other buildings or anything. Part of this was because of how hot it was and the fact that I had basically had no sleep which left me feeling pretty anxious and ready to go. But I also think I had some residual "trauma" (for lack of a better word) from MW, where I really soaked up the expo, took a lot of lovely pictures, etc. only to have it all ruined.

alyssa princess expo.jpg
(image description: My single expo photo-- me posing with a 3D Lumiere. This was in the Club runDisney area)

I took the bus back but got off at POFQ so I could pick up some vegan beignets. I was so tired but this was a good decision. I ended up eating them there because the powdered sugar situation is better that way (pro tip).

beignet plate.jpg
(image description: An empty plate covered in powdered sugar with a crossed plastic fork and knife on top. Sources say that this plate once had three vegan beignets on it... but I can't confirm)

After I walked back to POR, which is a nice walk along the river. I don't really remember how I spent the rest of the day... but later that evening I did get sick and throw up (of course). I think it might have been heat exhaustion/dehydration/lack of sleep/I don't know. After being sick I felt better but I had a huge headache so I took medicine on an empty stomach which was a bad idea because then I got sick again. After the second time, though, I felt a lot better. At some point with this going on, my friend J and his boyfriend Z arrived so that was good fun. I tried to eat some pasta and breadsticks from the POR quick service but they were not very good. The breadsticks at AoA >>> anywhere else. I was too -meh- to do a flat lay so I did my signature instagram story flat lay that I started during MW, haha. And then it was time for bed.

body battery.jpg
(image description: A screenshot of my Garmin body battery, which was at 5 most of the day with my stress also very high. This was what it looked like the entire weekend)

5k flat lay.jpg
(image description: Screenshot from my insta stories of my 5K flat lay. Any guesses on what my costume would be?)

(minus the Cinderella part-- she's my nemesis, but I guess it is her castle).
I think I need to hear the backstory
(image description: me laying down on Main Street in front of the castle, smiling with my head in my hands)
The sisters on the ears is so cute.
I like how that top had all of the races/distances on it since I did all of the races (it was my first completed Challenge+).
So happy for you!!!! 😀
But I also think I had some residual "trauma" (for lack of a better word) from MW, where I really soaked up the expo, took a lot of lovely pictures, etc. only to have it all ruined.
😥 Glad there was redemption this time!
(image description: Screenshot from my insta stories of my 5K flat lay. Any guesses on what my costume would be?)
Jasmine?

Looking forward to reading recaps of the rest of the weekend!

I might be tempted by a Crowned Athletics outfit based on your pictures. Looks amazing!
I love them! Especially the leggings, skorts, and flow tops (although they do chafe so I have to put Body Glide on my arms). The bras are hit or miss for me... just because of fit.
I think I need to hear the backstory
When I was a kid, I met Cinderella at WDW. She told me I looked just like "her good friend Snow White." I, a child who valued my intelligence and was an avid reader, was not a fan of Snow White and was devastated she didn't tell me I looked like Belle. So now we have beef. :laughing:
cinderella.jpg
(Image description: Me and my sister (the smaller one) posing with Cinderella the day she ruined our relationship.)
;) but WHICH Jasmine

When I was a kid, I met Cinderella at WDW. She told me I looked just like "her good friend Snow White." I, a child who valued my intelligence and was an avid reader, was not a fan of Snow White and was devastated she didn't tell me I looked like Belle. So now we have beef. :laughing:
Haha and this is why DH keeps telling me to stop telling people what celebrity I think they look like! I can't help it, I blurt it out, but yeah you never know what's an insult to somebody...

2023 Princess Weekend Race & Trip Report

Thursday, February 24: 5K + DHS

After way too little sleep, it was time to wake up for the 5K! I was the only one doing the 5K-- Z was not doing any of the races, and J was in for the challenge. I tried to be very quiet as I got ready to leave. The walk to the bus was so peaceful. I just love the ambiance of POR with the river.

My costume for the day was... Jasmine! Specifically, Jasmine in the marketplace! C was dressing as Rajah. I wore my Crowned Jasmine skort and bra, some Jasmine accessories I bought on Amazon, and had a brown piece of fabric (literally it was just a giant piece of fabric). I also had a cute little shoulder Abu I ordered on eBay and C's husband C2 3d printed a little apple for him! It was adorable.

5k scarf look.jpg
(Image description: My costume feat: the scarf and my Jasmine skort and top. I am posing in front of a lit Spaceship Earth. Abu is on my shoulder.)

The bus ride was uneventful, and when I got to the race I had my pre-race ritual that I've established since MW 2022-- go find my neighbors (K&N), who usually sit outside the bathrooms before you start to make your way to the starting area. We get some Spaceship Earth pics, chill, maybe use the bathroom (I didn't this time), and just enjoy the peace and space. We waited there for C, who helped me put my Jasmine scarf on, and then made our way to the starting area. At some point we also met up with C's friend B who was going to walk the 5K with us. We were in B corral (me because of CrD, them because of fast). While in the corral, I saw my hero @DopeyBadger and said hi! I also met the sweet G. That really made my morning.

rude watch 5k.jpg
(Image description: When I opened my workout for the 5k, my watch suggested I rest. This is not the message you want before the first race of a challenge weekend.)

This was my first runDisney 5K! It was nice not to have to make the trek to the farther corrals. We had planned to walk the 5K to save our legs for the rest of the weekend (and to really get the most bang for our buck, lol). I enjoyed the course and just had a really fun time. Some highlights:
  • G passed me at some point and shouted something like "Go Alyssa!" which was adorable. Thanks for the encouragement, G! :)
  • My scarf was fun but also was a pain to keep up with as it kept sliding off. At some point in EPCOT I just got rid of it. I suppose Jasmine just had to return to the palace.
  • B was dressed as Elsa and had a little Olaf buddy. Whenever we went through the DJ sections, we would have Abu + Olaf rave dance parties. It was so funny to us. Probably the effects of no sleep + 5 AM.
  • I tried to get a picture with the Eeyore topiary but they were doing work over there so the CM wouldn't allow it. I got redemption later in the weekend though.
  • We took some fun photos in Morocco, which was cool to explore with nobody back there.
  • We did not stop for any characters. I love running by and seeing the characters during the race, but I generally don't stop unless it's a "must do" for me (which I think would be Eeyore or Peter Pan or maybe if whatever character I was dressed as was out).
5k scarf fail.jpg
(Image description: Photopass picture of C and I wearing Jasmine and Rajah. My scarf is completing covering my face.)

5k jasmine rajah.jpg
(Image description: A much more successful photopass picture sans-scarf of me and C as Jasmine and Rajah.)

ac morocco.jpg
(Image description: Me and C as Jasmine and Rajah posing in an empty Morocco.)

5k finish.jpg
(Image description: C and I as Jasmine and Rajah crossing the 5k finish line.)

abu watch.jpg
(Image description: Abu, his apple, and my watch after I stopped the workout. It says I did 3.35 miles.)

We finished and got our medals... I think this is one of my favorite, if not my favorite, medals I have ever gotten. It's so so so pretty. I forget what the bus situation back to the hotel was, but I did go straight to POR this time where they had the little table set up with party favors and photo props. I got some bubbles. I love bubbles. I also took some pictures by one of the pond/fountains that became a ritual for the weekend. When I got back to the room I showered and rested and J brought me cursed Mickey waffles (see below). Z (who is a nurse) also put KT tape on me because my heel was hurting. It was my first time trying KT tape, and I think it helped.

5k medal.jpg
(Image description: Me holding my 5K medal in front of a fountain at POR. The medal matches my nails. I love it so much.)

cursed mickey waffles.jpg
(Image description: Cursed vegan Mickey waffles. They are burned.)

My plan for the day was to go to DHS with J and Z! We forgot to get Genie+ at 7 AM but did end up getting it. I always get it even though I'm not sure it's worth it... I just do not want to wait in line, especially during a race weekend when I am on my feet so much. I ended up only using it for one ride-- more on that later, lol.

It's been so long I forget everything we did so I'll just do the highlight reel.
  • J and Z are huge Star Wars fans so we started on Star Tours. I have never completely seen a Star Wars film and am... not a fan lol. But was happy enough to oblige.
  • We also went to Batuu (?), and I got green milk. It was good, but I like the blue milk better.
  • The one ride we used G+ on was MMRR. We saved like over an hour of waiting in line so that was good. Once again, mad at Minnie for the animal cruelty. I'll say it every time: pets do not belong in trunks!!! Mickey and Minnie got what they deserved. The ride got stopped during my favorite scene (Daisy's dance class).
  • It was very hot. Very very hot.
  • We saw the Frozen show, and it was J and Z's first time seeing it since last time they were at the parks was the pandemic times. Aria was, as usual, very thirsty. It was so funny. I love that show. Kristoff seemed... like a robot? lol. Someone check on him please.
  • I bought three nuimos. Moana, Alice, and the White Rabbit. I like having the race characters to wear the replica medal pins (although I had to order Moana's on eBay). I have a little display/collection of Alice in my work office because I teach children's literature, so Alice and the White Rabbit live there now.
  • I got the vegan lobster roll from Rosie's (?). It was nothing really like a lobster roll, but it was pretty delicious. It came with chips though, and I wish it had come with fries. Finding seating in that area is always so difficult!
  • After eating we walked back to Batuu (?) because J and Z wanted to eat there. I was dying from the heat at this point and from being sick the day before. My heart rate was in the 110s just sitting down. After they eat, they went to a store and I just sat somewhere and contemplated my life's choices. I decided to leave early because of my heart rate which was sad because we still had some G+ rides scheduled (ToT, I forget what else), but I knew I needed to relax and cool off.
dhs nap.jpg
(Image description: I apparently didn't take many photos in DHS but here is a gem of me sleeping on J's shoulder at some restaurant in Batuu (?). I just could not hang. Note the cup of water + Liquid IV plus my water bottle lol.)

So, I made my way back across the park. DHS seems small to me but then I end up walking so much there, especially with G+ and the shows which make it difficult to just do things in order. J and Z stayed at the park for awhile longer and then they had to go to the Expo so J could pick up his challenge bib. I took a much needed nap in the hotel room and felt better afterward.

After my nap I decided I needed food, so I made my way to DS to meet my neighbors and C and (her) J. I took a Lyft just to make my life easier because the boat line was super long. POR does have easy access to DS because of the boat option, but it's not the most relaxing experience and still takes awhile. The neighbors had a Gideon's VQ, so I joined them to get some cookies for C, J, (my) J, and Z. Sadly I can't eat any of the cookies at Gideon's. Once C and J arrived, we decided to eat at the food trucks. I went to the burrito one. They put all of the non-vegan stuff in my bowl and had to remake it. Oh well. It was okay.

I took the bus back and waited forever for it to arrive. Then it was time for bed!

Random question: suddenly the font on everything Dis for me is bold (mobile and on my computer). Does anyone know how to fix this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter