Update on Castaway Cay?

Is the snorkeling open?

I honestly didn't look over there to check. I am going to assume it's open though because I constantly heard the lifeguards yelling that announcement "attention snorkelers" to wear the yellow vest while snorkeling. Seems like they're yelling that out to someone every 15 mins or so, not sure why it's taking so long for that rule to sink in on people.

I honestly didn't look over there to check. I am going to assume it's open though because I constantly heard the lifeguards yelling that announcement "attention snorkelers" to wear the yellow vest while snorkeling. Seems like they're yelling that out to someone every 15 mins or so, not sure why it's taking so long for that rule to sink in on people.
Okay awesome. We bought our own snorkels to take with. We want to do that, ride bikes, and do the 5k.

We were there Saturday 10/26/19. We were at family side (not Serenity Bay) and we had Cabana 12. The cabana beach was so shallow it was about knee deep and even ankle deep in some places. I do not know if it was a combination of low tide and hurricane sand or what. If you had Cabana 1-6 you could practically walk out to the swimming boundaries and not even get wet. The back ropes that mark off the swim boundaries were actually on land and not even in the water. My kids took out chairs and floats and actually built a fort out on a sand island where there should have been a swimming area. Made for some great pictures though standing out in the middle of the water with the ship in the background.

We were on the same cruise and got to Serenity Bay at 10:30. All lounges and umbrellas were already taken and the beach too narrow to safely set up our shade tent. We did our cabana massage, had lunch and went back to an empty ship.

We were on the same cruise and got to Serenity Bay at 10:30. All lounges and umbrellas were already taken and the beach too narrow to safely set up our shade tent. We did our cabana massage, had lunch and went back to an empty ship.
I thought serenity bay was supposed to be quieter with less people

There is noramlly lots of space to sprawl. Recent photos only show a single line of cairs and umbrellas, where there used to be at least 2, and it would stretch all the way down the beach. Due to the reduced width of the beach, they have to make concessions, so there won't be as many available. Even then, I wouldn't picture serenity as parked on top of one another, and probably would leave as well if it were so

There is noramlly lots of space to sprawl. Recent photos only show a single line of cairs and umbrellas, where there used to be at least 2, and it would stretch all the way down the beach. Due to the reduced width of the beach, they have to make concessions, so there won't be as many available. Even then, I wouldn't picture serenity as parked on top of one another, and probably would leave as well if it were so
I guess we’ll see what it’s like when we go. We leave Saturday but won’t get to CC until the following Friday I believe. Maybe we’ll just stay more on the family beach or if we’re tired go back to the ship

I guess we’ll see what it’s like when we go. We leave Saturday but won’t get to CC until the following Friday I believe. Maybe we’ll just stay more on the family beach or if we’re tired go back to the ship
Hide something fun for us on the island, we'll be on the ship right after you!

We are heading there in early January, hoping things are in better shape by then. But, I hope the Bahamian people are doing better, that what really matters.

We are on the Christmas double dip and I'm really sad to hear that Serenity Beach is still so narrow and jammed. With the extra cost for the double dip, having a Castaway Cay that is not at even close to optimum conditions is not sitting well with me. I don't want to sit packed on a beach. I can do that back in NJ. Hoping maybe they can make some small changes before the double dip.

Ooo we might have to do that! At serenity bay or the family beach?
I'll be running the 5k so have the opportunity for either. But with Kids it'll be family time. I actually have thought about starting a disboards geocache on the island where eveyone can roll call it. Maybe near the observation tower. Sadly too much going on for this last minute trip. Have a great cruise!

How's the water like in Castaway Cay? I'll be there in less than 2 weeks. I'm from Canada so I have some stamina :)

We are on the Christmas double dip and I'm really sad to hear that Serenity Beach is still so narrow and jammed. With the extra cost for the double dip, having a Castaway Cay that is not at even close to optimum conditions is not sitting well with me. I don't want to sit packed on a beach. I can do that back in NJ. Hoping maybe they can make some small changes before the double dip.

Given the hurricane damage that Bahamians suffered and are still dealing with, I feel fortunate just to be in a position to cruise instead of trying to piece my life back together. Having to contend with less beach space feels small by comparison.

I'll be running the 5k so have the opportunity for either. But with Kids it'll be family time. I actually have thought about starting a disboards geocache on the island where eveyone can roll call it. Maybe near the observation tower. Sadly too much going on for this last minute trip. Have a great cruise!
Thanks, you too!

I don’t know if any are active currently, but there have been geocaches on CC in the past.

I was at Serenity Bay on 10/18. While the beach is definitely narrower than before, the day we were there wasn't jammed at all. It was actually very pleasant. After the lifeguard stand there were 2 rows of loungers/chairs set up with umbrellas with almost no-one there. I commented to my husband while we were swimming that no-one was taking advantage of the loungers after the lifeguard stand! Most folks set-up before the lifeguard stand and honestly it was fine. DH and I ran the 5K and didn't get to Serenity until 10 am and we got 2 empty loungers as soon as we walked onto the beach.
We had a gorgeous day at Serenity Bay and my husband and I have been there 14 times. The water was gorgeous, weather perfect and food/drinks so delicious. The other cruisers were nice and friendly. The lunch BBQ was not crowded at all and I honestly felt that Serenity Bay, while changed a little, still felt as magical and amazing as I remember from last year. Maybe we just got lucky and most folks set up at the family beach but our day at Serenity was picture perfect. It honestly did not feel jammed to me. It was really pleasant.

I live in Pennsylvania and I spend my summers at the Jersey Shore. I have been on a jammed beach and our day was far from jammed.

Hope this helps! :-)

59311131851__2c06d986-0318-45b4-9eec-a694cbad4208-jpg.448422

Thank you - my TA said she just had clients who were there and they reported the same. Hopefully we get as lucky on our double dip!

Serenity bay on Saturday the 26th. It was packed. Every lounger was filled and people were having to go back to the family beach.

Our cruise was the 8 night southern on the fantasy and there were lots of adult couples on the cruise. The actual ocean water was the prettiest I had ever seen it. So clear :)

We were on this cruise as well (10/26 CC day). Once on board we were told by one of our great Bartenders that the cruise did not have many Kids on it. Since this was an 8 night on the Fantasy the cruise was full of Adults with no kids (or did not bring them). I believe he said about 400 kids when its normally well over 1000 for the average Fantasy 7 night cruise. Also the amount of repeat Cruisers I want to say was 2500-3000...The Gold/Platinum event held in the theater was packed...

So with that said we did not even go over to Serenity Bay and just stayed by the Family/Snorkeling beach and boy did we make the right choice. The people I knew on the cruise said there was not a chair to be found since so many Adults were there and it was very crowded for lunch time. Our lunch place was empty at 1145-1200 when we ate (Cookies 2 I think, dont know the family ones like Serenity Bay).

I have been to CC 9 times and this was the 1st time I did not spend the day at Serenity Bay which was weird but I have noticed that the one off cruises (not the normal 7 night Fantasy or Dream 3/4 Nights) seem to have lots of Adult passengers with no kids and those cruises Serenity Bay can be packed but you can always find a chair just have to walk further down the beach.

So sometimes you have to figure out whos on the boat for your cruise to figure out where to go. Same thing was true for the pool area...Adult pool area and Satellite Falls were very crowded for the sea days, could not find chaise loungers open etc...other Cruises you can go up there and not even see many people at times.

Also the Island was in good shape for just having a CAT 5 hurricane so near...I was expecting more Brown leaves and signs like that but I could not even tell there was anything that happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter