US Dept of Transportation moving for new regulations barring emotional support animals on aircraft and requiring proof of training for service animals

Well a person terrified of an animal will still have the opportunity to be in the presence (edited: corrected spelling) of a service animal or miniature (edited: spelling) horse. Service animals aren't restricted by breed either.

It only typically makes someone dig their heels in when it comes to situations such that we are talking about because one person is determining that the other person has no need for the animal and thus their issue, in this case being terrified of the animal or allergy, has the higher priority. Of those people who are determining that, their opinion may change should that animal actually be a service animal but who knows. If you're terrified of an animal the fact that it's for a blind person shouldn't change your fear.
No, someone's fear of dogs is unlikely to be effected by the fact they are a service dog, although service dogs are generally better trained/behaved than ESAs.

Either way something comes about how we accommodate both parties in our communities.
Some people seem to feel that service dogs and/or ESAs should have no boundaries, no impediments, which is good in theory until you consider the impact on others.
For example-why does a person not need to give any warning to the airline that they will have a service animal? Would they not know ahead of time when they book their flight?

No, someone's fear of dogs is unlikely to be effected by the fact they are a service dog, although service dogs are generally better trained/behaved than ESAs.
A person who has a fear, a very real fear, of animals typically has a fear of the very presence of the animal and the behavior of the animal typically doesn't come into play oftentimes it's the fear of what the animal could do regardless of any indication of any ill behavior. Sure I could see barking to antagonize the fear though.

The animal does not need to even react. Lots of posts over time on the DIS regarding that, especially pit bulls--just the idea of being around a pit bull sets some people off, thus partially why I mentioned no breed restrictions on service animals (and pit bull isn't even a breed in the first place). German shepards (who often also set people off or make them wary) are a very common breed used for service animals too.

For example-why does a person not need to give any warning to the airline that they will have a service animal? Would they not know ahead of time when they book their flight?
Purely musing aloud but I would think any passenger information that would help the airline out would be good to give advanced notice for and I imagine many passengers who do have service animals do so (just a guess here) but legally it's not required. I think part of what is kinda up in the air (no pun intended) is booking tickets in general. People may not know, if the airline allows for it in the first place, to go back in should they forget during booking OR get a service animal after initially booking a reservation.

If I had to guess in terms of legality the idea of forcing people to announce their need for assistance prior to being able to maybe speak more privately with the gate agent could be why there's no legal requirement to give advanced notice. That's purely thinking out loud because most probably do know (with exception to getting a service animal after initially booking a plane ticket) that they will have a service animal with them.

Well, if it attracts rats and it does, it effects the entire neighborhood...oh it smells in the summer. I must have struck a nerve. Do you pick up your fog crap?
There are actually many cities/ towns that have ordinances in this. Even on private properties due to the rat issue. Dog crap is “ filet mignon” for rats. Read that in an article about this years ago. Term stuck in my head. GrosS

saw. Just now somebody already explained this.

Last edited:

What if they need to book or change a flight at the last minute? Or miss a connection and have to take a later flight, etc. All of these make it difficult to require advanced notice.

What if they need to book or change a flight at the last minute? Or miss a connection and have to take a later flight, etc. All of these make it difficult to require advanced notice.
Yes it does.
It also makes it difficult for any system that would help people with severe allergies too.
Really though it is about finding a system that doesnt sacrifice one person over another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter