• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using Costco membership to book 2 car rentals

britt54311

Mouseketeer
We have a large group traveling to Orlando, 16 in total. I am the only one with a Costco membership.
Can I book 2 rental vehicles and I be listed as primary driver on both vehicles but have my husband as secondary on one vehicle and someone else in our party listed as the secondary driver of the other vehicle?
Thks

Does your Costco membership give one membership card to you and one to your husband? If so, can’t one vehicle be reserved under your name as primary driver, and the other vehicle under your husband’s name as primary driver?

Does your Costco membership give one membership card to you and one to your husband? If so, can’t one vehicle be reserved under your name as primary driver, and the other vehicle under your husband’s name as primary driver?
^^^This. Both DW and I have Costco membership cards for our single Costco account, with the same account number. I have never been asked for my Costco card when checking out and don’t even carry it with me, but DW always has hers in her wallet, so I would fall back to that if I were ever required to show the membership card when checking out the car.

You should be able to do this with no problem as long as one car is rented in your name and the other in your DH' name, but the only free secondary drivers you will each get are one another. The usual rule is that the primary driver (unless disabled) needs to be the one to drive the car off the lot, and obviously, you cannot do that with 2 cars at once. Also, remember that the primary driver's insurance is the one that is on the hook for any damages that may happen.

Any other secondary driver except a spouse will incur a fee, and it's fairly hefty: standard is about $13/day for the length of the rental, though there is often a cap. The fee may negate your discount. (And that assumes that your other driver is over age 25; under age 25 is a whole 'nother very expensive kettle of fish.)

Personally, I'd spend $60 to avoid the hassle and the risk: gift your traveling companion a Costco membership if the only non-member rate they can find is more than $60 over what you are paying.

Last edited:
I have never not once ever been asked to prove I was a Costco member. Also, your spouse is automatically a member, so list your spouse as the primary driver of the other car. Also the secondary driver usually incurs a charge unless he/she is the spouse of the primary.

You all have giving me stuff to think about. I have my membership through an employee, so I dont believe I can add my husband. I don't care to drive so was hoping to rent 2 vehicles with my membership then list my husband as second driver on one vehicle then list someone else in our party as second driver of the other vehicle.
What does someone do if you have no spouse? I read where someone listed their son as secondary driver.
I tried searching on their website but guess I will end up calling.
Thks everyone for responding, was just hoping someone had experienced this situation and could give me advice.

You all have giving me stuff to think about. I have my membership through an employee, so I dont believe I can add my husband. I don't care to drive so was hoping to rent 2 vehicles with my membership then list my husband as second driver on one vehicle then list someone else in our party as second driver of the other vehicle.
What does someone do if you have no spouse? I read where someone listed their son as secondary driver.
I tried searching on their website but guess I will end up calling.
Thks everyone for responding, was just hoping someone had experienced this situation and could give me advice.

I think you can do what you are suggesting as long as you are there and you pay. However its possible you will incur fees to add the secondary drivers. I am always the one who rents our cars, but I put DH as the primary driver. However he is also a member. But I book it under my login.

Yes, the OP has to be present and pay and link her license & CC as the primary driver, but her DH can drive for no extra charge with Costco -- assuming that the OP is a named Costco member with her own photo on the card.

Any additional drivers who do not live in OP's household will DEFINITELY incur a fee. (It is possible for someone who does not have a spouse to designate a different family member as their free secondary driver, but that is normally done at the account level, as a semi-permanent setting. The designated "free" driver name pops up automatically at the rental agency based on the account number used to make the reservation.)

(When mentioning add'l drivers out-of-household, I meant subsequent add'l drivers, not the single free additional driver that the contract specifies.)

Last edited:
I rent cars at least once per month using my Costco membership in various airports - primarily Palm Beach and Orlando.

The free additional driver can be anyone. They are not limited to a spouse or household member. They just need to be present and have a valid license. They do not need a Costco card according to Costco website.

That driver can also be added later in the rental period by going to any company rental counter with your contract and the person. We do this often as sometimes my husband arrives at our destination after I do.

I have added my daughter multiple times - she lives in a different state. Very obvious when she hands her license over. No additional fees.

I have used all of the rental agencies you can book through Costco. Most frequently renting with Alamo.

According to Costco, the primary driver must have their own Costco card, even if the person who booked the car under their name is a Costco member.

I rent cars at least once per month using my Costco membership in various airports - primarily Palm Beach and Orlando.

The free additional driver can be anyone. They are not limited to a spouse or household member. They just need to be present and have a valid license. They do not need a Costco card according to Costco website.

That driver can also be added later in the rental period by going to any company rental counter with your contract and the person. We do this often as sometimes my husband arrives at our destination after I do.

I have added my daughter multiple times - she lives in a different state. Very obvious when she hands her license over. No additional fees.

I have used all of the rental agencies you can book through Costco. Most frequently renting with Alamo.

According to Costco, the primary driver must have their own Costco card, even if the person who booked the car under their name is a Costco member.

Interesting. My husband and I are both Costco members. We don't even go to the counter because we check in on line. We never show membership cards or licenses. My husband has to show his license to get out of the gate, but they've never asked to see mine and I'm sitting right there.

Booking Alamo car rental via Costco, second drivers are free. They do not have to be a spouse or other family member or even a Costco member. From the Costco web site FAQs (https://www.costcotravel.com/Info/blog-rental-cars):

"4. Do I get an additional driver for free with my rental car reservation?
Yes. Costco Travel rental car reservations include one free additional driver at U.S. locations with Alamo, Avis, Budget, and Enterprise. At Canada locations, reservations include one free additional driver with Alamo and Enterprise only.

The primary driver must be a current Costco member and be prepared to present a valid Costco membership card at the rental counter. Additional drivers do not need to be Costco members, but must be present at the rental counter and provide a valid driver’s license to be added to the reservation. Additional fees will apply for drivers under 25 years old."

Note 1: the Costco member has to be present when picking up the car, prepared to present a valid Costco membership card. In practice, I have never been asked for my card.

Note 2: I always do online check-in and skip the counter (when available), so I can go directly to the rental car pickup area and choose a car. The online check-in form includes the opportunity to add the second driver (with driver's license information). When checking out, I simply hand the agent a copy of my online check-in/skip the counter confirmation, credit card, and the two driver's licenses. Never had a problem with this at MCO. In San Diego, I was able to check-in online, but had to use a kiosk to complete the process, since skip the counter was not available at that location. I had to scan both driver's licenses as part of this process.

Last edited:
Interesting. My husband and I are both Costco members. We don't even go to the counter because we check in on line. We never show membership cards or licenses. My husband has to show his license to get out of the gate, but they've never asked to see mine and I'm sitting right there.
i never get to that point when checking out at the gate, since I hand over both licenses with my credit card and skip the counter form when I arrive at the check-out booth. However, I can believe that the need for a second driver's license can be dependent on the agent handling the transaction. When I have used a kiosk rather than skip the counter, I had to scan both driver's licenses to complete the check-in process. Hardly a problem for us in any case, since DW is right there while I complete the process. I've never actually gone to the rental counter, so I have no idea what that process might entail.

According to Costco rules the primary needs a Costco card. In practice neither my husband or I have EVER been asked for one. Once per month rentals, so we’re really testing their practices!!

We check in at the desks,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter