Using Military Lodging While Visiting DC

calypso*a*go-go

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
We have been helping some friends plan a trip to DC and were surprised to see how expensive the hotels are in the area (yes...I guess we're hicks!). Anyway, it got us thinking that we would also like to visit the DC area with our kids in a year or two and were wondering if it would be possible to use military lodging. If so, what military installation would be a good "home base", and how far in advance should were start planning or try to get reservations? BTW, we are retired AF (second generation!). :goodvibes

Check out www.navy-lodge.com We have stayed in them in CT, VA and PA. We like them alot. The website will tell you the specifics for each Lodge, as well as the eligibility requirements and how far out you can book. Every one we have been to have been clean, safe and affordable. Hope this helps!

Thanks Jeanne -- we've only stayed at the Navy Lodges in San Diego and Key West and they were both very nice!

A few years ago we stayed at Executive Club Suites in Alexandria. I think we paid around $100 a night.....they also take pets. It is long term housing, but they fill up unused days at a cheap price. They are converted apt buildings in a nice section of town. (no elevators). The rooms are actually small apts complete with full kitchen..dishes, etc. A free shuttle works all day and takes you to the airport metro station (very safe). Ride takes about 10 minutes if I remember correctly. Later evening hours shuttle works by request...still free. Some restaurants deliver to the hotel and there is a complimentary breakfast every morning. We were very impressed with this place. Our visit was in 2004. Would stay there again if ever in the area.

ETA....I have also stayed at the Navy Lodge. Really off the beaten path and in the middle of base housing. This stay was also 2004. The rate was good, but if in the area for tourist stuff, you would want to be at a place where you can utilize the metro....and this definitely was not the place.

When we went to DC a few years ago, checking into military type housing didn't even occur to me. I agree that prices are high in DC. Instead, we stayed in VA (Alexanadria I think), found a hotel very near the Metro, & used it for all our transporation needs. Didn't want to be driving around since parking is extremely hard to find.

It was probably 10 years ago, but we stayed at the lodging on Andrews. Then, a 1br suite was something like $24 :thumbsup2 They booked up well in advance back then. We just lucked out with a cancellation that night we stayed there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter