UV Umbrella

TinkFan74

DIS Veteran
I am on medication that causes sun sensitivity and would like to bring a UV umbrella so that I can stay in the shade, are these allowed in the parks?
Thanks

I am on medication that causes sun sensitivity and would like to bring a UV umbrella so that I can stay in the shade, are these allowed in the parks?
Thanks

As someone who has dealt with this issue for 30 years, be sure to cover and protect yourself well; don’t rely strictly on the umbrella to protect you.

My skin will actually burn and blister - and it feels like it is on fire - when I get too much UV exposure. I am covered head-to-toe any time between sunup and sundown, even when riding in the car. I should have taken out stock in sunblock companies years ago, however these days there are more options, like UV resistant* clothing, that help.

*resistant meaning that it helps with UV exposure - it does not guarantee 100% protection.

As someone who has dealt with this issue for 30 years, be sure to cover and protect yourself well; don’t rely strictly on the umbrella to protect you.

My skin will actually burn and blister - and it feels like it is on fire - when I get too much UV exposure. I am covered head-to-toe any time between sunup and sundown, even when riding in the car. I should have taken out stock in sunblock companies years ago, however these days there are more options, like UV resistant* clothing, that help.

*resistant meaning that it helps with UV exposure - it does not guarantee 100% protection.
Thank you

I have an absolutely huge golf umbrella with UV resist fabric that slots right into my scooter. Normally it's for rain, but I have opened it when it's a high UV day. It's kind of fun, people admire the umbrella and constantly tell me they wish they'd thought of it. Just have to be extra careful in crowds since it makes my safe radius a lot wider than I'm used to.

Thanks

yes, they are totally allowed in the parks. I used one every day on our last trip to WDW. When I used that and a battery-operated fan (like a neck fan or a hand-held one), it felt almost 10 degrees cooler under the umbrella.

What's funny is the first day the kids & I used the 2 UV umbrellas I'd brought with us, my DH was jokingly giving us a hard time for looking ridiculous by using an umbrella when it wasn't even raining outside. Then, 2 hours later, after standing in the sun multiple times in multiple ride queues in MK, DH sheepishly said, "Do you have an extra UV umbrella I could use?" :rotfl2:Yes, honey, of course! Not even 5 minutes later after standing under it, he was raving about how great it was. LOL!

** edited to add **

Here in AZ, I've seen people use UV umbrellas at swim meets. They're really awesome.

Last edited:

I agree with the other poster, I wouldn't rely on the umbrella for UV protection alone. Definitely apply (and reapply) a good sunscreen. And wear a hat.

I found a smallish umbrella (fits in my fannypack) that I used on our summer trip to Disneyland and it did help me feel cooler at certain parts of the day. I wasn't the only one using an umbrella either. At first, I think my husband was embarrassed be he got over it. I told him I'm bringing it again this summer AND I'm bringing a handheld fan. I don't do well in heat at all.

Yes. I purchased one from Amazon, and used it the first time during a trip in July. It helped a lot. I will add that my brother in law has to go full coverage due to a sun allergy. Long sleeves, bandana around the neck, long pants. A combo of both is not a bad idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter