• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

VDH Opening

Congrats! I wonder if they released more rooms. I called this morning to waitlist a studio for 3 days Dec. 6-9 and they said it was available when yesterday they were all booked.
interesting, I may call
I am so jealous! Mine has not (yet) but this is encouraging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which days did you have waitlisted?
UPDATE! I just got the call, booked for the full weekend now! So happy

At least initially. Maybe if you time booking with future declarations...

I want a studio (any kind) the night of Dec 15. Just that night as we're at the Grand Cal before that and fly home the day after and want to try the new tower. But I doubt I'll be able tog et it by the time I can book in late July. Unless another declaration opens up availability and I'm able to to snag it!

Congrats! I had 1/12 and 1/13 waitlisted. I already had 1/11 booked and when the waitlist came through they automatically merged the reservations which is nice.
Nice! I had 15/16 booked and 12-14 waitlisted. They haven't merged yet but stated they would. Not sure I need all 5 nights now, the 15/16 were kind of consolation prizes for not getting any actual race nights but having options are good!

I am wondering if the 11 additional rooms mentioned as being part of 2023 dues were declared, and that is why there was some waitlist movement. I'd be interested to know if a few of the other sold-out nights (not many, according to MS when I last called) had waitlist movement. In general availability isn't bad outside of some key dates, or at least that seems to be the general opinion. But I am curious if future declarations tie into how the 20024 UY dues work, as that might provide clues as to the earliest additional declarations.

Congrats! I had 1/12 and 1/13 waitlisted. I already had 1/11 booked and when the waitlist came through they automatically merged the reservations which is nice.
This is interesting -- they actually MERGED the reservations into one? Haven't seen that before. they usually only allowed us to link the reservations.

This is interesting -- they actually MERGED the reservations into one? Haven't seen that before. they usually only allowed us to link the
This is interesting -- they actually MERGED the reservations into one? Haven't seen that before. they usually only allowed us to link the reservations.
my waitlist is now merged with my original booking to be a single one. I’d set up the waitlist to replace the original but instead they booked the additional 3 nights and then merged them. They told me it would happen on its own but to to give it a few days. They merged about 8 hours later. But like you it’s usually a link, not a merge.

They will usually merge on request. Not a fan of them doing it without an owner requesting it and hope this is not a new thing...we have split stays for reasons and they have never merged unless I have asked.

CM's will even encourage it for changing part of a stay at 7 months.

Wow... availability for anything other than the studios is severely limiting.... I guess it makes sense given the size of the park.

They will usually merge on request. Not a fan of them doing it without an owner requesting it and hope this is not a new thing...we have split stays for reasons and they have never merged unless I have asked.
They merged 2 of mine without my requesting it last month. I almost had a heart attack as I received a cancellation email out of the blue when out at dinner with friends.

This perfectly sums up my feelings on the matter. Plus, I think they are two of the absolutely ugliest buildings I have ever seen, both inside and out. The rooms are somewhat small, and very pedestrian. As to cost, I'm a Bonvoy Platinum Elite, and Marriott is my preferred hotel chain for business travel, but I'd save my points and use them on a better hotel on a non-Disney vacation. The place isn't terrible, but relatively speaking it's just like settling for a scoop of vanilla in a cup, when there are 30 more flavors in the case plus a variety of cones, for just a few pennies more.
Swan has daily housekeeping, room service , A QS you can go to without getting wet, multiple restaurants and 2 full queen beds - so many will consider it better than BW.

But the swan is a class above BW in any category
I don't like either of them, so degrees of separation between mediocre and extra mediocre really don't play into it. Swolphin may very well be better than BW (in fact I'll even agree that it is a better "hotel", but better than meh doesn't make good).

Like I said in the original post you quoted:

The place isn't terrible, but relatively speaking it's just like settling for a scoop of vanilla in a cup, when there are 30 more flavors in the case plus a variety of cones, for just a few pennies more.
If I'm staying on Crescent Lake, it would be YC (hotel) or BC (DVC) for me.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter