Vero and Hilton Head not open, why?

WB1971

Mouseketeer
At what point do members start demanding these resorts open? Is there some legal reason they aren’t yet? Seems ridiculous that they aren’t giving members access for the holiday weekend. Florida and South Carolina are basically open for business.

Well, DVC hires Disney as the property managers and so far, they haven’t given the go ahead to allow their CMs to go back to work,

Last week, they did get an agreement with the union that discusses safety protocol,

Hopefully, this week, we will get answers as the company is supposed to submit plans to opening it all up.

OF course, if nothing it said about DVC, I will be contacting them again as I did at the beginning to get clarification about the legal aspect of them closing down

At what point do members start demanding these resorts open? Is there some legal reason they aren’t yet? Seems ridiculous that they aren’t giving members access for the holiday weekend. Florida and South Carolina are basically open for business.
That’s what we’re also wondering. Is plumb ridiculous at this point. Everything here in S.C. is open for business.

That’s what we’re also wondering. Is plumb ridiculous at this point. Everything here in S.C. is open for business.
Stealing prime summer weeks while they dilly dally over reopening (basically) a hotel just seems beyond reasonable. Hotels here in eastern Florida never closed. HHI doesn’t even have a restaurant, this should be very simple folks.

Well....i just cancelled our June 10-13 trip. Had to secure our June 7-10 condo rental for the entire week before it was no longer available. It is in a quarter share in Shelter Cove. Emailed them today to ask if possible to extend our 3 nights to the full week. Didnt expect to hear back until Tuesday. But they sent me a confirm email back in like 2 hours. Thinking of selling the DVC to buy a quarter share at Harbourside III. They are open and very responsive. Love it!

I live roughly 10 minutes from the Vero resort. We go out most every night. Most places are nearly normal at this point, with almost no one wearing masks. There are exceptions. Grocery stores about 1/2 wear masks. Some places in Vero proper require them.
That said, keeping the Vero Resort closed is beyond me as compared to most places in the area. Beaches are open. Supposedly you need to keep moving, but few adhere.
Not quite, but almost normal here in Indian River County. Disney is the only thing closed that I’m aware of.

Well....i just cancelled our June 10-13 trip. Had to secure our June 7-10 condo rental for the entire week before it was no longer available. It is in a quarter share in Shelter Cove. Emailed them today to ask if possible to extend our 3 nights to the full week. Didnt expect to hear back until Tuesday. But they sent me a confirm email back in like 2 hours. Thinking of selling the DVC to buy a quarter share at Harbourside III. They are open and very responsive. Love it!
Oh, I'm so sorry you had to do that! We're still holding out hope but have a couple of Shelter Cove backups, just in case. Although, we are getting nervous about those availabilities going away while the clock ticks down.

spinnaker resorts, which manages a number of timeshares on HHI, cancelled reservations through 5/29.

? Did they give you any reason as to the why? Was it because what occurred at the Beaches this past weekend?

they've been closed for a while--so update was essentially "still closed thru 5/29"

It does seem very strange that they're not open. The only thing I can think of is that there's some maintenance going on that isn't done yet, not at all related to Covid-19. Someone at the HHI resort reported that they saw a lot of construction type stuff going on at the Main Lodge area last week.

Simple most likely answer, DVC is putting the interests of Disney corporation ahead of the best interest of the majority of DVC members

What part of the agreements you are seeing that lead you to believe DVCM can force the workers to come in? Maybe I am missing something

Last edited:
What part of the agreements you are seeing that lead you to believe DVCM can force the workers to come in? Maybe I am missing something
If not

They can not force but can recall. If not enough employees were willing to come back then that would be a reason not to open. I have not heard of any issue with staffing DTD, though I do not have an inside track.

They can not force but can recall. If not enough employees were willing to come back then that would be a reason not to open. I have not heard of any issue with staffing DTD, though I do not have an inside track.

I was referring to DVCM, and our contracts. CMs that work at DVC resorts are not hired by DVC, they are Disney employees.

I have not found anything in the contract that gives DVCM the power to call back workers and wondered if you had found something different.

From what I understand, while DVCM could say they want to open, they still have to have to wait for Disney to call them back to work

Last edited:
I was referring to DVCM, and our contracts. CMs that work at DVC resorts are not hired by DVC, they are Disney employees.

I have not found anything in the contract that gives DVCM the power to force Disney to call back workers sooner than Disney wants and wondered if you had found something different.

From what I understand, while DVCM could say they want to open, they still have to coordinate with Disney to provide the workers.
DVC has the obligation to do what is in the best interest of the majority of members, assuming that that includes starting to open DVC, then DVC should be requesting that DVC CMs are recalled, and whatever contract exists between DVC and Disney corporate should be enforced to represent the interest of members. If Disney corporate refuses then that again is a reason not to open, but would also be a reason to consider if DVCs contract with DIsney corporate adequately protect the interest of members.

I am realistic enough to know that this would never happen short of a court order, but that is exactly the point that DVC may not be able to do what is in the best interest of members because of their relationship with Disney corporate which might violate FL timeshare stature

DVC has the obligation to do what is in the best interest of the majority of members, assuming that that includes starting to open DVC, then DVC should be requesting that DVC CMs are recalled, and whatever contract exists between DVC and Disney corporate should be enforced to represent the interest of members. If Disney corporate refuses then that again is a reason not to open, but would also be a reason to consider if DVCs contract with DIsney corporate adequately protect the interest of members.

I am realistic enough to know that this would never happen short of a court order, but that is exactly the point that DVC may not be able to do what is in the best interest of members because of their relationship with Disney corporate which might violate FL timeshare stature

Well, to be fair, the Government orders for many places has just been lifted..though is still in place in FL. and we don’t yet know what the plan is for opening. It could be in a few weeks.

I get what you are saying, but getting Disney replaced as property manager is near impossible

Personally, I don’t see them not having opened yet...and they had the legal authority to close...as an issue. I will however see it as one if not open by July 1st, now that Disney has called back CMs for DS and the union representing CMs for DVC resorts came to an agreement last week for a safety plan.

Well, to be fair, the Government orders for many places has just been lifted..though is still in place in FL. and we don’t yet know what the plan is for opening. It could be in a few weeks.

I get what you are saying, but getting Disney replaced as property manager is near impossible

Personally, I don’t see them not having opened yet...and they had the legal authority to close...as an issue. I will however see it as one if not open by July 1st, now that Disney has called back CMs for DS and the union representing CMs for DVC resorts came to an agreement last week for a safety plan.
I agree the likelihood of a change is near 0

I agree the likelihood of a change is near 0
Well, you won’t get a few members to banned together to get management changed. You would have better luck winning the powerball.

The way it could *possibly* happen, imo, is for a large entity such as Marriott that is willing to spend a ton of money and leg work on a campaign to get the contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter