• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vero Beach Adoration 2010 Thread *** Closed now *** Links to 2011 Thread inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob and MB, I am sure there are many thoughts and prayers from all of your Dis-friends headed your way. Bless you and your family.

Rob I am praying for your dear wife and you. Both of you are in my thoughts and prayers. (((((((HUGS)))))))

Rob and MB - I am sorry to hear about all your sad news.

My prayers and good wishes go out to all of you. We know the road too well. Take care and be there for each other:hug:

Rob.......:hug:
You and MB will be in my thoughts and prayers.
While no detection is good...the news it doesn't seem to have spread is wonderfully important.....please look for a PM from me.

Rob I am so sorry. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the both of you and your family during this difficult time. Please try to stay strong to face the challenges ahead. :grouphug:

Rob keeping you and MB in my thoughts and prayers!!

Rob and MB so sorry to hear this news... our thoughts are with you both!!!
:grouphug:

deb/dan

Rob and MB our thoughts and prayers are with you. As you start this long journey toward recovery keep positive thoughts in mind.

Moving on, we just returned from our first wonderful week at Vero Beach. Thanks to all here for your help and advice as we planned our trip.

I wanted a one bedroom Villa, but DH really wanted an Ocean View. So we were in an OVIR. We had the PERFECT room # 2418, which is on the fourth floor, front and center over the Green Cabin Room. The view was outstanding and the room was fine. I did miss the spaciousness of a 1 BR and the kitchen and laundry, but I would go back here again.

We (2 "Mature" folks) wanted a quiet, relaxing week and that is what we had. We never really left the resort to explore, but rather enjoyed the beach, each other and our books. It was perfect.

We arrived Saturday 10/9 on the Columbus Day weekend. The resort was full and there were lots of families with young ones. There are constant activities for all ages, and everyone seemed to be having a great time.

We ate at Shutters 3 times. On our arrival night I had a Caeser Salad and the Roasted chicken and it was delicious. I also discovered Blue Moon draft beer and this became a theme of our trip. DH had the Steamer Pot and thoroughly enjoyed his meal. The next night we ate at Capt Hirams. We had a river side table and an excellent meal. The salad was large and fresh and the fried scallops were perfect. They also have Blue Moon beer :banana::rotfl2:
Monday was our 41st wedding anniversary and we went to the Ocean Grill for our celebration. We enjoyed it completely. I had the Crab Au Gratin and it was fabulous. It was so rich I couldn't finish it all. The ceaser salad was great and we shared an order of onion rings. We had a window table, which we waited about 10 minutes for. The service was great and we would return again. Our next meal was at the at the Green Cabin Room. We were looking for something light and we were entranced by the Porch view. DH ate the Bacon Cheddar Burger and fries and I had the Turkey Reuben and fries. I was a bit disappointed with this sandwich - it wasn't bad it just didn't have the "kick" I expected. But they have Blue Moon!! Our service was great and overall we were glad we had eaten here. Our next Shutters meal was the Thursday night seafood buffet. DH was really looking forward to this and he was not disappointed. They had steamed crab legs, peel and eat steamed shrimp, a fresh Mahi dish, fried shrimp, cole slaw, red skinned potatoe salad, green salad with the fixins, corn bread, cjeddar biscuits, pot roast and gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and carrots, chicken nuggets and mac and cheese. Plus a selection of deserts. I had a Blue Moon again! Our other meal at Shutters was our worst meal of the trip. Neither of us really liked our food. DH had the catch of the day - Grouper I think. He liked the sauce and presentation, but the fish itself was a very thin piece and it was dry. We were both looking forward to the Strip Steak, but it is no longer on the menu :guilty I had what they called a "Flat Iron Steak" and it was okay. Just not the quality of a Strip Steak. We also ate at Squid Lips. I had the crab and lobster cake and it was delicious. Oh and a Blue Moon!!! We also shared a 8 piece chicken nugget and fries for lunch one day from Bleachers at the pool. The chicken and fries were really good and hit the spot for lunch.

We walked for miles on the beach in both directions and barely saw anyone else on our walks. Our weather was perfect, except for Thursday which was cloudy with sprinkles. The highs were in the mid 80's with lows in the mid 60's and it was not humid at all. The ocean waves varied over the course of the week. Thursday it was calm like a lake, but Friday and yesterday it was very rough. I did not go in either day. We also saw huge schools of bail fish and twice we saw a shark jumping within the bait fish. The lifeguard station had out purple flags indicating "Dangerous sea life" or something like that. We felt pretty safe when the bait fish weren't there.
Any questions, just ask

Rob again our thoughts are with you MB and your family.:grouphug:

Happy belated Anniversary Hopefully. Sure sounds like you really liked your R&R visit to VB:)
We also saw huge schools of bail fish and twice we saw a shark jumping within the bait fish. The lifeguard station had out purple flags indicating "Dangerous sea life" or something like that.
Great idea to stay out of the water. Did you happen to see any Jellyfish washed up on the Beach? Didn't hit the beach. This past week,one of my friends was stung pretty good over the face and neck while diving on the GreenCabin Shipwreck near the Resort. Apparently numerous Jellyfish(most harmless or mildly stinging) were driven out of the GulfStream by the E winds. When I saw him Frid :scared1:

In latest news on the dining scene, Fans of Mulligan's Beach House Bar and Grill (imho good Fish Tacos)VB,Stuart,JensenBeach may be happy to know they are opening another location on Indian River Drive in Sebastian. They are in the process of renovating the old FlagShip Marina/Riverview Restaurant and rumor has it they come to an agreement with the City over parking issues paving way for a possible Dec opening.(lots of Renovations to do)

There is also a new Restaurant opening up at the former location of the Pig and Whistle Pub/Red Garlic Grill(and a few others) on IRD Sebastian. Not sure on opening date nor the actual name(something like Grill and Chills)

http://www.mulligansrestaurant.net/index.html

Don't cha just love Vero. Was there 2 weeks ago with my cousin. We relaxed and the biggest decison we would make each day was where to go for dinner. We will be returning in June for my son's 21st Birthday.:banana:

Hi Madaco,
Yes I saw 1 Jelly Fish washed up on the beach early in the week. There were 2 little girls collecting them and they told us they had 8. I never saw them again, nor did I see any in the water. Sorry for your friend, that is not fun.

Interestingly, when sitting on the Front (back?) Porch in a rocker, I always struck up a converstaion with whoever was there and asked where they were from. 95% were Floridians. I was surprised by this. The resort was full both weekends, but quieter during the week.

We loved Vero Beach and will definitely be back in the future.

Yes I saw 1 Jelly Fish washed up on the beach early in the week. There were 2 little girls collecting them and they told us they had 8. I never saw them again, nor did I see any in the water. Sorry for your friend, that is not fun.
Thanks.:) He is healing quick but was in pain for a few days. He was stung by a Box Jellyfish as he surfaced and didn't see it. Fortunately he still had his mask on. People really have to watch handling Jellyfish and definitely not Box Jellies or Portuguese Man o' War. Though stings are harmless and not (or hardly) felt on some species of Jellyfish, some species of Jellies and PMoW can painfully sting for days to weeks after washing up on beach. Having stepped on a dead PMoW as a dumb college kid 30+ yrs ago, well just say it wasn't a pleasant experience. LOL
This just came across the news a few hours ago from further north in Daytona Area.

Box jellyfish sting people in Florida waters

DELAND, Fla. Box jellyfish floating in waters off Florida's Atlantic coast have been stinging people.
By Tuesday dozens of people had been stung in waters off New Smyrna Beach, Ponce Inlet and Daytona Beach.
Officials say the sting feels like being shocked. The species spotted in Volusia County leave a painful burn mark.
Purple warning flags have been posted to alert the public.
Box jellyfish are transparent marine invertebrates that propel themselves along the water using a flap that quickly expels water underneath the box-shaped bell.
Information from: Orlando Sentinel

Here is a good website for info on and ID'ing FL Jellyfish.
http://www.beachhunter.net/thingstoknow/jellyfish/

Uhmm... I found this thread on the bottom of page 4!?

All of you below have been the heart and soul of this and previous VB threads. The number next to you is how many times you posted to this year's thread alone.

We need a 2011 VB thread. Copy and paste everything. It doesn't matter. Just keep up the roll call. A new thread will attract new attention and help newcomers.

madcoco 62
DVCconvert 52
edk35 40
MiaSRN62 35
starbox 31
Twinprincesses 28
jerseygal 24
lisareniff 23
dreamlinda 22
bobbiwoz 22
Tiger926 21
js 19
photobob 18
Hopefully 17
Mahusky 17
dis2cruise 17
dort 15
garnet1240 14
AnnaS 13
roysbrew 13
kritter 13
Good Ol Gal 12
amystevekai&bump 12
Belle and Rella's Dad 12
jknepfle 11
mikeandkarla 11
smidgy 10
deej696 10
Robo-Daddy 3000 10

That said... MB is doing well tolerating therapy. Much better than expected. The future has scary days ahead beyond the chemo. Life altering days. I just cannot focus on much else than getting MB (us) through it all.

If someone decides to start a new thread and needs help, I'll help you. Otherwise, it will just fall into the deep abyss of the forums.

Any one of you can do it. Just do it. It really is fun to have a long running thread that is important to so many.

"Why? Because we like you.. M.. I.. C.. K.. E.. Y.. M.. O.. U.. S.. EEE... See you real soon!

Some you won't get that last part :)

First, Rob, I was sorry to read your news, and hope things are going well with MB's treatment. Been through it with my dad and almost had to go that route myself; hang in there and sending you both good thoughts!

I posted pages and pages ago when we were first planning, and now, all of a sudden, we're less than a month away - ack!

We'll be taking a red-eye from Seattle on November 19th and staying Saturday night at SSR (our first time to our first home), then boarding the Wonder for our "free" incentive cruise from adding on at VGC (LOVE it there BTW). After the cruise we head down to VB for the first time and have a 1BR for Friday and Saturday, but had to settle for a GVIR for Wednesday and Thursday (Thanksgiving) - still hoping for some pixie dust for our 1BR waitlist, but it's getting late!

We were going to stay at VB until we fly home on Tuesday, but decided to head back to SSR on Sunday and hit HP at Universal on Monday. It will be weird not going to the REAL parks this time, but looking forward to a relaxing time!

Anyone else going to be at VB the 24th-28th?

First, Rob, I was sorry to read your news, and hope things are going well with MB's treatment. Been through it with my dad and almost had to go that route myself; hang in there and sending you both good thoughts!

I posted pages and pages ago when we were first planning, and now, all of a sudden, we're less than a month away - ack!

We'll be taking a red-eye from Seattle on November 19th and staying Saturday night at SSR (our first time to our first home), then boarding the Wonder for our "free" incentive cruise from adding on at VGC (LOVE it there BTW). After the cruise we head down to VB for the first time and have a 1BR for Friday and Saturday, but had to settle for a GVIR for Wednesday and Thursday (Thanksgiving) - still hoping for some pixie dust for our 1BR waitlist, but it's getting late!

We were going to stay at VB until we fly home on Tuesday, but decided to head back to SSR on Sunday and hit HP at Universal on Monday. It will be weird not going to the REAL parks this time, but looking forward to a relaxing time!

Anyone else going to be at VB the 24th-28th?

Have a GREAT time!

We have canceled our VB trip for December because of the chemo schedule, but we now have a cruise scheduled (on the new Dream) for around the week of Holloween 2011 :banana: Then we'll spend a couple days at BWV and do the Wine festival at Epcot. We're looking ahead :thumbsup2

EDIT: Looks like this thread is dropping of the page again. Good bye VB thread....

Just popped in to see what was new with Vero. Ive only been once but am planning to go again this Feb. Wanted to send my thoughts to Rob and MB, I hope you all are holding up ok.

I was looking for any information on the Kayak tour. I see you can do the tour or just rent the kayak per hour. Is the tour better? Are the kayak rentals sea kayaks for the ocean? DH and I will be going on our first overnight (2 nights actually) from our kids who are 6 and 4 so we want to do everything we cant do when they are with us!!! Also wondering if we should consider an off site company on our own for kayaking. We arent really looking for a full day excursion, just a few hours to get on the water and do something different. Thanks for any help!

How is Vero Beach during Spring Break months? Crazy busy?? How's the weather at the end of March/beginning of April?

Thanks!

How is Vero Beach during Spring Break months? Crazy busy?? How's the weather at the end of March/beginning of April?

Thanks!

Crowds are not a problem. Weather is luck of the draw... typically, it is fine, but you can get some cold and windy stretches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter